• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision issues one sentence statement on Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 launch

tensuke

uwrzsvF.gif

McKO7Np.gif

LakeEarth

"We are aware of the issues that players have experienced following the launch of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5...
You fucks were aware of the issues BEFORE launch but you still released it and tricked fans of the franchise out of $60!

gossi

Because what they are doing is technically not illegal, at least in the US

Plus we only live once. If somebody wants to spend six figures in dollars suing one of the biggest game publishers through the courts, which would take years... feel free?

Labadal

When you have a day one patch that is bigger than the game you are releasing, the chances that the game is fucked are big.

Knowingly releasing a broken product isn't illegal?
It's super-legal
Activision isn't bound by laws on what to include in a Tony Hawk game
They could literally make a Tony Hawk game that had nothing more than a fish in a bathtub and as long as they didn't falsely advertise, no-one would legally give a shit

Harlock

Good time to call Sony and MS for allowing a game that for sure can't have passed in a serious certification process.

Monocle

"We are pleased to bring this message of sincere regret to you, the person whose $60 we have, and assure you that we have every intention of addressing your concerns regarding this shitty looking game you bought for some reason."

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Knowingly release a broken product, and then issue the token statement of "being aware" that gamers are experiencing issues, and oh yeah, we're working to fix it.

That's just the abbreviated PR statement of the game. Here's the full one.

Activision's Official PR Statement #102845-For use if the game developed and published on our behalf is considerably unpolished. Version 2.34, updated as of November 17th, 2009.

"We are aware of the issues that players have experienced following the launch of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 and are working with the developer to address these so that we can continue to improve the gameplay experience for all of the Tony Hawk fans who have known and loved this franchise for more than 16 years".

The preceding lines exist under license for public relations use only. Any public performance, copying, or other use without permission secured beforehand is strictly prohibited. All other rights reserved.

If they can actually fix the game it will be a bloody miracle, but to be honest I do really want them to fix it, I would love for this game to be good.

Parham

Banned
Saved myself the hassle of dealing with Activision and Robomondo's bullshit and just picked up THPS3 and THPS4 for the PS2 earlier today. This is absolutely inexcusable.

Karak

First game I have actually not been able to fully review due to just not working. Well some PC games but first console game. Makes Unity and Master-chief look like masterpieces.

Moze

Banned
Activision is BY FAR the worst publisher of the main three. They literally do not give a single fuck outside of COD and Destiny.

Bizzquik

That is a hilariously insincere pseudo apology.

I know, right?!!
"Tony Hawk 5" is the gift that keeps on giving!
I literally can't stop laughing at this game.

Start to finish, it's a world-class two-middle-finger salute to consumers. It's so absurd, it *has* to be a prank.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Hahaha.

Activision was aware of the problems. Sony was aware of them. Microsoft. Their respective QA teams and executives.

I feel bad for the developers. Don't get me wrong, Robomodo is by no means absolved from the garbage they created. But Activision knowingly and willingly pushed out this trash. Sony and Microsoft knowingly and willing allowed this trash to be pushed to market. They have just as much fucking blame as Activision.

Robomodo made the best (worst?) of a shit situation and those other companies only compounded their problems by letting such fucking garbage into people's homes.

AAA

Hahaha.

Activision was aware of the problems. Sony was aware of them. Microsoft. Their respective QA teams and executives.

I feel bad for the developers. Don't get me wrong, Robomodo is by no means absolved from the garbage they created. But Activision knowingly and willingly pushed out this trash. Sony and Microsoft knowingly and willing allowed this trash to be pushed to market. They have just as much fucking blame as Activision.

Robomodo made the best (worst?) of a shit situation and those other companies only compounded their problems by letting such fucking garbage into people's homes.
Sony and Microsoft aren't there to dictate the quality of a game, just that it works on their systems without making it explode.

We don't want to go back to a "Nintendo Seal of Quality" situation, for better or worse.

Gamezone

Gold Member
They should have put a goat on the skateboard and named the game Tony Hawk`s Skate Goat Simulator. It would have sold millions, and people would be happy with it.

Mahonay

Banned
Why? People on neogaf should know more then anyone to wait and see what the game was actually like especially since this game was being buried hard by Activision.
Some people were desperate for a real Tony Hawk sequel. Hope overshadowed the red flags.

PnCIa

What a shitty ass company. "The developer"...oh we have nothing to do with the games development, we just paid some people and they refused to do their job but dont worry: Uncle Activision will get your shit fixed. Dirty developers. Little rats tried to betray you by releasing a broken product. Hnnnng.

Thats what happens when you work for those fuckers and are not making CoD. And even then they would just drop support in an instant.

Shiggy

This thread shows the pure entitlement some gamers have. You should be happy that they even made a new Tony Hawk game and that they sell it at a low price (they could have charged 100€ instead).

The game might have some gamebreaking issues but not every game needs to have the fanciest visuals, the best gameplay, or excellent game design. We are talking about a new Tony Hawk game by Robomodo here. Why would anyone expect a game by that team to work? Most gamers are well aware of the studio's track record and are willing to pay the price for the game just to have the game box on their shelves, not to actually play the game.

And when it comes to this, the new Tony Hawk game is an excellent purchase. The side of the boxart shows the well crafted THPS5 name in its full beauty. Fans of Robomodo's previous games, which for most must have been fans of games that are better left on the shelf, must be very happy about THPS5.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
They should have put a goat on the skateboard and named the game Tony Hawk`s Skate Goat Simulator. It would have sold millions, and people would be happy with it.
You're being unfair. Goat Simulator ran well at the time of release, with no huge day-one patches and stuff.

Hell, the devs even wrote this on the game website:
"Goat Simulator is a small, broken and stupid game. It was made in a couple of weeks so don’t expect a game in the size and scope of GTA with goats. In fact, you’re better off not expecting anything at all actually. To be completely honest, it would be best if you’d spend your $10 on a hula hoop, a pile of bricks, or maybe a real-life goat."

Isn't one of the Tony Hawk installments the highest rated PS1 game on Metacritic? And now this latest entry is the lowest rated PS4 game on Metacritic, or close to it anyway. There's something strangely poetic about that.

Mahonay

Banned
Isn't one of the Tony Hawk installments the highest rated PS1 game on Metacritic? And now this latest entry is the lowest rated PS4 game on Metacritic, or close to it anyway. There's something strangely poetic about that.
Yep reviews are trickling out now. 27 Metacritc score so far.

Karak

I am on my, and this is laughable. 68th crash...
It beats Battle for the Sun as the worst game I have ever experienced

Top Bottom