• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision's Deadpool, Spider-Man, and X-Men games disappear from digital stores

MRORANGE

Bought for my collection of rare games on Steam.

idCcgJzCgCItx.png

If your a fan of Deadpool and considering this game then do yourself a favor and skip it anyway. Easily worst game I've played this year on Steam and the only positive was some of the gags which could just as easily be watched online.

I'm a big fan of Deadpool and want to thank you for talking me out of buying the game. Just watched some of the gags and yeah...if that's the only good part, I'm glad I saved my $10.

I guess I'm the minority but this was one of my favorite games of the year. It's so bizarre and downright stupid that I couldn't help but find it charming. I should also add that this was my first introduction to the Deadpool character.

Clawww

isn't this just a delisting

why are people acting like the game is being stripped from your steam library

there's no argument against digital to be made here as far as I understand

like how is this any different from a physical release not being in production anymore?

are people being idiots or am I confused please let me know

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The digital future, ladies and gentlemen.

Woe be to the licensed game.

How is this different from a physical game going OOP? I can still play the copy I bought. And after the keys can't be bought from any stores you'll still have people scalping unused keys.

Bought for my collection of rare games on Steam.

idCcgJzCgCItx.png

Ghostbusters went back on sale months ago. It's still available through Gamestop and they give you a Steam key.

Eusis

How is this different from a physical game going OOP? I can still play the copy I bought. And after the keys can't be bought from any stores you'll still have people scalping unused keys.
Once those keys are used up it's gone for everyone, unless you sell accounts or borrow someone's, which is far more of a minefield than just buying/lending a used copy.

How is this not obvious to everyone? And it's mainly a point against all digital, not digital as an option for everyone.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
A former dev posted this on a message board for current/aspiring game devs:
Yup exactly. We had a couple of weeks were we crunched pretty aggressively on Deadpool. Having activision cut aand cut and CUT just took its tole on so many of us. For a studio to demand that we do mandatory overtime for a project and then keep cutting so much time and money from it was ridiculous. At about halfway into development we were told that we weren't even aiming very high in terms of score.

Can you imagine working on a game where your higher ups say "yeah we're shooting for a 64 or lower" and then have them give you mandatory overtime?

btw i'm not shit talking the game. These are just facts. I hate that people find that they can't talk about these sorts of things out of fear of being "blacklisted" or whatever. These kinds of business practices shouldn't happen period. The reward for doing overtime, is knowing that you're contributing to a damn good game, people are going to love and be inspired by what you do, good reviews and the FAIR possibility of bonuses.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa, that was quick. I suddenly feel like picking up the game on Amazon, so if this was just a marketing stunt, it would have worked. Of course, it isn't, so I probably should grab it before it's too late.

Eusis

It's sad that the only consolation that the guys over at High Moon can find is that they lasted longer than most of Activision's studios in not becoming a CoD workhorse.
I have to admit when Transformers was a flash sale I was looking to see when prior games were announced and what the studio's doing. Still passed, but the fact we haven't heard about a new game yet IS disconcerting.

styl3s

Ghostbusters went back on sale months ago. It's still available through Gamestop and they give you a Steam key.
Really? I need to buy this because the game was fantastic.

rrs

This reminds me I should had got Blur and Outrun2 before they vanished. Also DiRT disappeared a few months ago for the same reasons and that sucks since it's about the last great semi-sim rally game

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Really? I need to buy this because the game was fantastic.

I registered it two months ago that way.
It's still on their store and still says "requires a Steam account" so...

Veelk

Banned
Wow, I got it JUST in time. I doubt that it's going to be a great game, but I'm against games dying, so it's good that I managed to snag it.

TAJ

I bought a code for $8 at GameFly in case it gets super rare.

Probably a wise move. Saw keys were selling for >$60 before it came back to Steam and it got worse reviews than Deadpool.

just sayin, it's also licensed, and also by High Moon, and also from Activision, and also just recently had its deepest discount on Steam

You got a point. But I think Hasbro and Activision priorities can be different than Marvel/Disney (aka, licensed games for the Films)

Ridley327

I have to admit when Transformers was a flash sale I was looking to see when prior games were announced and what the studio's doing. Still passed, but the fact we haven't heard about a new game yet IS disconcerting.

It seems like Activision is going to let the X-Men license lapse without even a whimper, which leaves them with just Spider-Man, which is in Beenox's care. Transformers is a big question mark right now, and I'd have to think that Activision would just as soon keep that in their Value label than try another Cybertron-style game, especially since Fall of Cybertron didn't repeat the success they had with War for Cybertron.

It is possible that they go back to being a general purpose fixer-upper, like when they finished the Transformers: Dark of the Moon game after Activision shuttered Luxoflux, so that could stay their CoD sentencing, but the opportunities are very limited for them right now to avoid the fate of Raven and Neversoft, and as soulless as the work might be if they do wind up on the series, it's better than ending up closed.

Isn't it obvious? With a physical game (that isn't attached to a single-use code), people interested in buying the game can still find it on the secondhand market (which is why you can find copies of literally any PC game from the last two decades on Amazon or eBay). With digital, once the game is removed from stores there is literally no legal way to obtain the game. There's no way for new buyers to get it, which is inherently bad for preservation and archival of the medium.

I had contemplated buying this last month and watched a youtube video of the first hour or so to get a feel of what to expect.

I think I dodged a bullet there

TAJ

Isn't it obvious? With a physical game (that isn't attached to a single-use code), people interested in buying the game can still find it on the secondhand market (which is why you can find copies of literally any PC game from the last two decades on Amazon or eBay). With digital, once the game is removed from stores there is literally no legal way to obtain the game. There's no way for new buyers to get it, which is inherently bad for preservation and archival of the medium.

By the time the supply of keys held by scalpers is exhausted, the price will have climbed above what the vast majority of people interested in the game were willing to pay anyway.
It's like when the existing supply of a physical game settles almost entirely into the hands of collectors.

Top Bottom