• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision's Deadpool, Spider-Man, and X-Men games disappear from digital stores

Jawmuncher

Was going to buy it but then I remembered I grabbed my brother a copy on 360 back at release. So i'll just play that. I haven't gotten so bad with steam that I absolutely need delisted games.

Regardless of that, I bet the license for Marvel in General for activision expired this year regardless. Odd that it wasn't a case like with the films where a new contract would extend it. Though wouldn't surprise me if Acti willing gave it up for some cash from DIsney at the end.

Activision is supposed to have the X-Men license through 2017, so why would this be delisted? Did Marvel retroactively decide that Deadpool no longer falls under the X-umbrella?

Activision is supposed to have the X-Men license through 2017, so why would this be delisted? Did Marvel retroactively decide that Deadpool no longer falls under the X-umbrella?

The Deadpool game flopped miserably. When the rights were up it's likely Activision wasn't interested enough to extend the contract.

Quentyn

Oh man, I didn't catch this earlier, apparently a few Spider-Man and X-Men games were also taken off Xbox Live and PSN. This was posted by the Activision Community Manager, Dan Amrich.

https://twitter.com/OneOfSwords/status/418444711305940992

Yea, looks like it is all the Marvel stuff.

9nDLrLf.png

Game Informer has a confirmation from Activision:

Activision has confirmed that Deadpool is gone for good. We've also learned that other titles have been removed from their respective digital delivery services.

Spider-Man: Friend or Foe, Spider-Man: Web of Shadows, Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, Spider-Man: Edge of Time, X-Men: The Official Game, X-Men Destiny, and X-Men Origins: Wolverine have now been removed from storefronts. If you have a desire for any of these games, it's recommended that you secure a retail copy as soon as possible. It's likely that no additional copies will be entering retail channels.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...disappeared-from-steam-xbox-live-and-psn.aspx

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Yep. So now X-Men: Destiny is double-forbidden.

Really, why even list it?

Nokterian

For the love of god people get X-Men Origins Wolverine. If you can get it best game next to riddick.

Just got deadpool from gamefly with 20% discount on top it. Don't really care if it is that bad but wanted to add to my list just like a bunch of others games went gone on steam or other outlets.

I'm confused. Does this mean Acti can no longer make X-Men games (unless they regonetiate of course) or is it just they can no longer publish these old ones?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Quentyn

I'm confused. Does this mean Acti can no longer make X-Men games (unless they regonetiate of course) or is it just they can no longer publish these old ones?

Yea, I have no idea. Also what happens to the next Spider-man game? I assume that is still okay because it is based on the movie?

Eusis

I don't get why you keep pointing out that the crux of anything I'm saying or from this mindset is reliant on a comparison between actual, tangible goods. I'm not even arguing the idea that it's a shitty situation when things get pulled, it's just an obvious given. But the actual implications of what they mean to a medium are completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Where is the onus actually supposed to go when things disappear? The publishers? The platform holders?
The platform holders ARE in a position I'd think to if not mandate an announcement then at least something on the store front or whatever listing games that will go soon, similar to PS+'s "expiring soon" list. I'd assume they'd have advance notice to know to pull the stuff off and can require they're allowed to broadcast that info, similar to how I imagine Sony mandates a digital release be an option on Vita/PS4 titles unless there's a necessary physical component that keeps it from working out like Skylanders.

... Though I guess companies like Activision could just issue the notice at the last minute anyway, as the Steam vote implied yesterday, or they don't even know until a week or two out that they won't renew. Something to at least cover the ones known about in advance would be nice though.
That game just came out like 3 months ago, it'll be fine for at least another 3 months.
Actually I suspect what's more important is that likely WB/Traveller's Tales handle licensing differently from, say, Activision. Activision has been extraordinarly eager to up and drop anything they deem as not profitable enough, and with barely a fuck given. I can't fully blame them admittedly, a lot of the time this isn't even niche stuff we really enjoyed and would like to see stick around (the one example of THAT they have is still there, Vampire Bloodlines), but it still sort of gives the impression of not giving too much of a shit about their games once they've been out a few months, or that people may care in the long term.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well the X-Men games have all been taken down including the movie ones, but I notice the Spider-Man movie games aren't gone.

Basically it seems anything directly from Marvel is now with Marvel. Given this all happened at once, I'm guessing they're fishing for a new licensee or thinking of taking it in house.

Given that Disney is completely inept outside of mobile however, I'm guessing they're looking for a licensee.

Eusis

If Bond is any indication it may also be that Activision actively told them "we're done making Marvel games, we surrender the licenses back to you" and so Disney/Marvel may not have done much, or they could've just demanded too much money only for Capcom/Activision to go "this isn't really worth the cost."

Ridley327

That pretty much confirms they went and restructured all their contracts.

I'm going to guess that Beenox's new Spider-Man is their last Marvel game, if it even comes out.

Nice find.

Actually, they might be in the OK for the movie-related games, since Spider-Man 3 and Amazing Spider-Man are exempt. Might be something to do with how that license is handled with Sony.

SykoTech

I'm going to guess that Beenox's new Spider-Man is their last Marvel game, if it even comes out.

The teaser they showed look so bad that I'd be happy with them just cancelling it.

It is kinda weird how we haven't seen or heard anything when the game should be out in May...

Valnen

The way they're handling these contracts is terrible for consumers. They really shouldn't be allowed to work in this industry. Would rather have no Marvel games at all than deal with this bullshit.

scitek

I don't really understand why they have to remove the games from stores. Why can't they have some sort of transition worked out so that doesn't have to happen?

I don't really understand why they have to remove the games from stores. Why can't they have some sort of transition worked out so that doesn't have to happen?

That's on the license-holder to work out.
If they won't play ball, then they have to outright pull them or run the risk of infringement.
Sucks, but dems da breaks.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So does that mean if I want to get a retail copy of Deadpool for the PS3, I should get it now before it becomes out of print?

Ridley327

So does that mean if I want to get a retail copy of Deadpool for the PS3, I should get it now before it becomes out of print?

It would definitely be wise to grab a copy while you still have a chance. From the sound of it, it sounds like that there should be a nationwide sendback of these games real quick here.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That pretty much confirms they went and restructured all their contracts.

Nice find.

Edit: It was pointed out that the Sony movie games are still okay and up on storefronts.
What accounts for MvC:O being still on the marketplace with every other MvC game/DLC being taken off? MvC:O was part of the same contract/license as MvC3 and UMvC3.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
What accounts for MvC:O being still on the marketplace with every other MvC game/DLC being taken off? MvC:O was part of the same contract/license as MvC3 and UMvC3.

I was curious about this one too. Origins came out shortly before Deadpool, right?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Was that digital only?

My suspicion revolves around retail core titles primarily.

LQX

And just like Activision not to have a huge fire sale. Would have loved to buy Spiderman. Fuckers.

Eusis

If you want it new, probably. Even if there isn't a send back (I doubt it, that seems to be the domain of court orders to DESTROY a game) this COULD inspire a buying frenzy if the retail channels aren't choked with copies. If you will accept getting it used I doubt it, if Too Human's used copies are still on GameStop shelves then they're going to have to actively be chased by the courts to get them pulled off.

Geeze Marvel seems to have the worst licensing department in the fucking world.

Never seen a company's IP jump around and be spread all over the place this much.... aside from anime from the late 90s lol.

Sheroking

There has to be some specific language in that contract that protects Origins for the time being. Maybe how long Capcom has the right to sell the game? Origins is the newest release of the games that have been delisted.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Never seen a company's IP jump around and be spread all over the place this much.... aside from anime from the late 90s lol.

When they were going bankrupt they started signing all sorts of comical, gigantic licensing deals that were extremely favorable to licensees and are now trying to recover as much of that as possible.

Imbarkus

You should try being a fan of Star Trek games. Activision has had a hand in that sucking very much, very consistently.

KingJ2002

Capcom & Activision both killed off their games from last gen... i'm glad i've had my fill of MVC3 and do not care about activisions offerings... or I would be really devastated by this

My guess is that the full license goes to either Capcom or EA.

Imbarkus

I think Edge of Time is the only one I have left to pick up on PS3. Eh. It'll be around. Don't panic you guys.

Neoxon

R.I.P. Any Chance of MvC4 Happening

So much for potentially having a team of Phoenix Wright, Star-Lord, & Asura

Demon Ice

Banned
The Wolverine game was really fun.

Deadpool game has pretty weak gameplay but I love Nolan North and some of the jokes are actually funny.

Top Bottom