• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actors whose career crashed and burned after a hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned

Same with former it girl estella warren.
cnT7ql.jpg

Speaking with the most disproportional "images on people's wallpaper" to "movie portfolio" ratio, Elisha Cuthbert has to be one of them.

Just looked up Cuba's IMDB. Okay, these are all within the last five years...
Anyone want to make a movie with Cuba holding a gun? I think he'd be down with that!

I...I have to go. I have to go and watch these movies. It's like he's slowly trying to fill out a month's worth of action flicks on Impact all by himself.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

<...>

Anyone want to make a movie with Cuba holding a gun? I think he'd be down with that.

Slater, Woods, Kilmer, Liotta, Keitel! Is there like a washed-up actor sewing circle these guys all belong to?

Dude... I'm gonna have to watch all these films!

There's also this movie:

Devils-tomb-movie.jpg

I saw this recently on TV. It was fairly decent for a straight to DVD movie.

Mengetsu

Samantha Mathis

Broken Arrow and American Psycho were her last big Hollywood hits. Seems to do Independent movies nowa days.

Matthew Broderick

Wouldn't say crashed so much but his last main staring roll (If you exclude voice acting) was Deck The Halls in 2006. Now mostly does plays if im not mistaken.

nel e nel

Constant hits of what? I have heard more than one industry insider made the comment that Eddie Murphy has lost it. In fact that was the reason he turned down the Oscar host job.

There's a big difference between crash and burn and the natural transition from leading man/woman into supporting roles. Even Dustin Hoffman doesn't headline anymore, but he still does great turns in supporting roles. Granted all those luke warm movies he did in the late 90s didn't help much, but the move to family films gave him a boost. Lots of Hollywood folks do that, Robert Rodriguez and Johnny Depp come to mind.

And from what I understand, the only reason he even agreed to do the Oscars in the first place was because Brett Ratner convinced him to do it, and when he got booted for the homophobia fiasco, Eddie followed him.

TheYanger

Some of these posts are ridiculous. I wanted to quote the TheYanger, but then he called out EDDIE MURPHY, who had many many hits before he flatlined. Nothing lasts forever, but give me a break!

I didn't call out Eddie Murphy, Eddie Murphy is a terrible example just like the rest, he was in a shitton of popular movies.

The entire premise of this thread is flawed if the only criteria is 'had a hit movie somewhere in their career and no longer make hit movies' because EVERYONE stops sometime. We could just make a link to IMDB and call it a day. The explosion has to be as sudden as the fizzle for it to have any impact. Anyone that was already a big star before their 'hit' makes no sense to be listed.

dvdjamm

Godfather

then

Serpico
Godfather 2
Dog Day Afternoon
Scarface
Scent of a Woman
Heat

etc etc

I totally screwed up my original post...I meant that Al Pacino's last decent movies besides the HBO movies was Insomnia in 2002 and The Insider in 1999.As far as the other 3 actors I mentioned (Christian Slater,Treat Williams,Michael Keaton),they all were the main actors in popular movies in the past. Now Slater and Williams are doing TV shows and Keaton was in The Other Guys,but before that,he's been doing voices for animated (Pixar) movies as well as a few straight to DVD releases after White Noise in 2005.

Darren870

There is a few people in here that shouldn't be. However here is one I didn't see:

stephen_baldwin_2011_01.jpg

Before finding god he admitted BioDome ruined his career.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Ok more in the spirit of the op,
Ilan mitchell-smith
Played wyatt in weird science and was done a couple of years later, now a history professor.
215px-Movie_poster_for_Weird_Science_(1985).jpg

Sean

Banned
and to a lesser extent

600full-last-action-hero-screenshot.jpg

Robert Patrick still gets a TON of work. Nothing as huge as playing the T-1000 obviously, but he does like several movies per year and a bunch of TV shows.

Still has a very active career and hasn't completely fallen off the face of the earth like some other actors mentioned in this thread.

Drazgul

Speaking with the most disproportional "images on people's wallpaper" to "movie portfolio" ratio, Elisha Cuthbert has to be one of them.

Yeah, shame her career didn't ever really reach full stride, wouldn't have minded to see her in more movies like Girl Next Door. Guess she's content being a hockey wife.

YJbbm.png

Unf.

sangreal

I was actually wondering the other day what ever happend to Elisha Cuthbert. I think I was watching Love Actually. I wanted her so bad in Old School and Girl Next Door

hayejin

Shelly Long and Kirstie Alley after cheers.

And that chick from ER who turned down one or two million an episode to pursue movie career or something.

Emile Hirsch must have caught that Girl Next Door career-harming infection from Cuthbert.

Dude is amazing in Milk and Into the Wild. He makes a charismatic Speed Racer as well.

Yet it's supporting man JGL getting all the big roles.

vV8xH.jpg

qcDgJ.jpg

kynJQ.jpg

ld7KM.jpg

L1dng.jpg

rVscq.jpg

TXscK.jpg

ZEtbH.jpg

Anyone want to make a movie with Cuba holding a gun? I think he'd be down with that.

Slater, Woods, Kilmer, Liotta, Keitel! Is there like a washed-up actor sewing circle these guys all belong to?

Dude... I'm gonna have to watch all these films!

catching up with this thread but my god ...this post

sangreal

Shelly Long and Kirstie Alley after cheers.

And that chick from ER who turned down one or two million an episode to pursue movie career or something.

Kristie Alley was famous for ages after cheers. Mostly for being fat. Carla, on the other hand....

JABEE

I totally screwed up my original post...I meant that Al Pacino's last decent movies besides the HBO movies was Insomnia in 2002 and The Insider in 1999.As far as the other 3 actors I mentioned (Christian Slater,Treat Williams,Michael Keaton),they all were the main actors in popular movies in the past. Now Slater and Williams are doing TV shows and Keaton was in The Other Guys,but before that,he's been doing voices for animated (Pixar) movies as well as a few straight to DVD releases after White Noise in 2005.

I know this is from April, but those names are just an example of actors getting old and not being offered leading roles anymore. The examples you named had a gradual decline in their career. Pacino even being mentioned on a list of actors with one big movie who then fizzled out is just wrong.

Sean

Banned

He was the dude
waterboarding Denzel's character (and killed in the raid right afterward)
near the very start of the movie.

Emile Hirsch must have caught that Girl Next Door career-harming infection from Cuthbert.

Dude is amazing in Milk and Into the Wild. He makes a charismatic Speed Racer as well.

Yet it's supporting man JGL getting all the big roles.

This one is puzzling, Hirsch is a fantastic actor and fairly handsome dude, yet his career has never taken off. I would guess most of the roles he's considered for get offered to either James Franco or JGL first.

Xzeon

Banned
Jon Heder was posted already, but he is a perfect example.

Napoleon Dynamite was so fuckin huge, and then he did Benchwarmers and then nothing.

Well except the ND cartoon which bombed lol.

I think this phenomenon happened to people in live action kids shows a lot.

I dont think anyone from Power Rangers went on to do anything. Except Amy Jo Johnson, Kimberly, was in a few movies and is in Flashpoint right now but i think thats cancelled.

I dont think any of the other Rangers did anything later in life.

GRIP

Dude, Ralph Macchio was in Entourage. His shit is fresh. And Terminator man was in the latest episode of True Blood. Also some fresh shit. HBO is resurrecting careers and you didn't even know it.

sangreal

Dude, Ralph Macchio was in Entourage. His shit is fresh. And Terminator man was in the latest episode of True Blood. Also some fresh shit. HBO is resurrecting careers and you didn't even know it.

He was? as who? This thread has taught me that I simply do not recognize him today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom