• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ad-hoc Party Beta thread (compatibility better than expected!)

duckroll

So it launched in Japan today. It's free so anyone with a JP PSN account can just download it, it's 5meg. I'm reading the 2ch thread and it seems so far more than just MHP2G works, it's just that MHP2G is the only game on the "official" list.

Edit: The officially supported games have been updated. Credit goes to Siliconera for the translation.

Arc System Works
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus
Guilty Gear Judgement

Ertain
The Con
Xyanide
Boxers Road 2: The Real
Lost Regnum

Idea Factory
Cardinal Arc

Irem
Sengoku Efuda Yuugi: Hototogisu Ran

AQ Interactive
Jitsuroku Oniyome Nikki

Electronic Arts
NBA Street Showdown
Tiger Woods PGA Tour
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06
Need For Speed Underground Rivals
Burnout Dominator

ESP
Hajime no Ippo Portable Victorious Spirits

Enterbrain
Derby Stallion P

Alchemist
Higurashi Daybreak Portable

Gust
Mana Khemia: Student Alliance

Capcom
Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower
Capcom Classics Collection
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
Street Fighter Alpha 3: Double Upper
Powerstone Portable
Monster Hunter Portable
Monster Hunter Portable 2nd
Monster Hunter Portable 2G

Global A
Dungeon Maker II

Genki
Carnage Heart Portable
Daisenryaku Portable 2

Koei
Mahjong Taikai

Konami
Coded Arms
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 2
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 3
Metal Gear Acid 2

Cyber Front
Korkor! Koron

Success
Saikyou Shogi Bonanza
Shanghai
Nunpure 10000-mon

System Soft Alpha
Daisenryaku VII Exceed

Square Enix
Dissidia: Final Fantasy
Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable

Spike
Kenka Banchou 3: Zenkoku Seiha
Tomb Raider Legend

Sega
Intial D Special Stage
Sega Rally Revo
Nou ni Kaikan: Minna de Aha Taiken!
Nouryoku Training Portable 2
Phantasy Star Portable

Sony Computer Entertainment
Kazuo
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ape Escape: On the Loose
Saru Get You: SaruSaru Daisakusen
Saru Get You: Saru Racer
Derby Time
Derby Time 2006
Tenchi no Mon 2
Dokodemo Issho
Dokodemo Issho: Let’s Gakkou
Nippon no Asoko de
Mercury
Patapon 2
Ape Escape Academy
Ape Escape Academy 2
Formula One 2005 Portable
Bleach Heat the Soul
Bleach Heat the Soul 4
Bleach Heat the Soul 5
Boku no Natsuyasumi Portable
Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee
Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee 2
Echochrome
Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner
Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
LocoRoco
LocoRoco 2
Wipeout Pure

Taito
Ultra Puzzle Bobble Pocket
Ooedo Senryoubako
Space Invaders Extreme
Densha de Go! Pocket: Osaka Kanjousen Hen
Densha de Go! Pocket: Toukaidousen Hen
Densha de Go! Pocket: Chuuousen Hen
Densha de Go! Pocket: Yamanotesen Hen

D3 Publisher
The IQ Cube
The Table Game
The Puzzle Quest
The My Taxi

Nippon Ichi Software
Prinny: Can I Be The Hero?
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness

Nihon Falcom
Vantage Master Portable

Hudson
Dungeon Explorer
Rengoku: The Stairway of Heaven

Namco Bandai
Gundam Battle Chronicle
Gundam Battle Tactics
Gundam Battle Universe
Gundam Battle Royale
Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed: Alliance vs. Z.A.F.T. Portable
Quiz Mobile Suit Gundam: Toi Senshi DX
Gunpey-R
Smash Court Tennis 3
Taiko no Tatsujin Portable
Taiko no Tatsujin Portable 2
Chuugen no Hasha: Sangoku Shouseiden
Tales of the World: Raidant Mythology
Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection
Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai 2
Naruto: Narutimate Portable Mugenjou no Maki
Bounty Hounds
Me & My Katamari
Macross Ace Frontier

From Software
Adventure Player
Armored Core Formula Front
Armored Core Formula Front International

Marvelous
Valhalla Knights
AI Mahjong
Hitman Reborn: Battle Arena
New Rainbow Islands
Fish Eyes Portable

Wollan

CoilShot said:
Ok let me be the first to ask this.... What is Ad-hoc Party?
An application you download from the PS3 PS Store.

It let's the PS3 function as a gateway turning Local Wi-fi Only PSP games into true online games.

Basically it fools the PSP into believing there are other PSP gamers around you, the info being sent across the internet between the PS3's.

It's a tunneling service. And you can also use a Bluetooth headset to speak with your opponents.

M3wThr33

Banned
I'm willing to give this a shot. What do I need to do for my PSP?

Specifically I want to try Pac-Man World 3 and the Pac-Man VS. mode. (You can Game-Share it, but I don't know if that'd work)

PSN: M3wThr33
or M3wThr33J (For the Japan account)

CoilShot

Wollan said:
An application you download from the PS3 PS Store.

It let's the PS3 function as a gateway turning Local Wi-fi Only PSP games into true online games.

Basically it fools the PSP into believing there are other PSP gamers around you, the info being sent across the internet between the PS3's.

It's a tunneling service. And you can also use a Bluetooth headset to speak with your opponents.

Nice

duckroll

Okay, BAD NEWS. I know some people pointed this out previously, and I said it would be highly unlikely that this is so, and I apologize because it's true after all. You CANNOT use a wireless connection with Ad-hoc Party. You need to have a wired internet connection on the PS3 to use the service since it communicates with the PSP wirelessly. Lucky for me my 360 is wired, so I can just move that wire to test it later.

Here are some multiplayer games I have on PSP:

Monster Hunter Freedom (US MHP2)
MGA (US)
MGA2 (US)
Katamari (JP)
Armored Core Formula Front (Asia English)
GTALCS (US)
Tekken DR (JP)
Hot Shots Golf 1 (US)

You don't need a JP account to use this, just a JP account to download it off the store.

M3wThr33

Banned
God dammit. I figured something like that would happen. I didn't think the PS3 could work with both broadcasting and signalling.

This weekend I could redo how my setup works and put the router near the PS3, I guess. But I'm not up to doing that now.

I assume it shares the network, so game-sharing works, right?

DrPirate

Banned
duckroll, I don't know a word of Japanese, is their a way to change the language of the interface (presumably, it would be completely Japanese)?

Also, I'd like to test out Killzone:Liberation Single Player coop and Wipeout Pulse if anyone else is interested.

duckroll

DrPirate said:
duckroll, I don't know a word of Japanese, is their a way to change the language of the interface (presumably, it would be completely Japanese)?

Also, I'd like to test out Killzone:Liberation Single Player coop and Wipeout Pulse if anyone else is interested.

No, there's no way to change the interface. I could do a quick translation if you can wait. I can't get into the rest of the software at the moment because of the wired/wireless issue and I have downloads going on the PS3 so I don't wanna swap until they're done anyway.

I have Killzone Liberation, not sure which version though. I think it's a euro one.

DrPirate

Banned
Thanks for answering, well I'm off to bed now anyways, but I can't wait to tinker with it after classes tomorrow.

Ephemeris

Very Nice! Damn, if I wasn't so spent I'd hop on my Japanese account asap, but that will have to wait till morning. Awesome list of titles so far though.

kittel

duckroll said:
Okay, BAD NEWS. I know some people pointed this out previously, and I said it would be highly unlikely that this is so, and I apologize because it's true after all. You CANNOT use a wireless connection with Ad-hoc Party. You need to have a wired internet connection on the PS3 to use the service since it communicates with the PSP wirelessly. Lucky for me my 360 is wired, so I can just move that wire to test it later.

Told you guys so :lol :lol :lol

Aru

Nice to see that the software is compatible with other games than the ones in the official list :)

I've already sold all my multiplayer PSP games, so I've nothing to try out this service :/

I've switched to wired Internet connection recently (my PS3 is near my router, so why bother with WiFi ? :p) so the Wifi Internet problem doesn't concern me.

I'll wait for Dissidia.

Flek

Banned
i will download it now and try to make a short video about it. But are there even peoble playing with it "online" yet. And if that is so in what game do i have the best chances ?

kassatsu

Banned
Flek said:
i will download it now and try to make a short video about it. But are there even peoble playing with it "online" yet. And if that is so in what game do i have the best chances ?
Monster Hunter Portable 2G

Flek

Banned
ok downloadet it but when i launch it on ps3 i cant press any of the buttons - also does it need the newest psp firmware to work?

Defuser

hmmm,I downloaded it and basically don't how to get it work. I'm at loss here.

EDIT: Wait what? It needs to be wired? Fuck you Sony. Thanks for limiting your user base assholes.

DarkJC

Defuser said:
hmmm,I downloaded it and basically don't how to get it work. I'm at loss here.

EDIT: Wait what? It needs to be wired? Fuck you Sony. Thanks for limiting your user base assholes.

Yeah Sony was like, man we should limit it to wired only just for the hell of it. It's not like we don't have two wireless modules to maintain 2 wireless connnections, we just want to screw people over.

DarkJC said:
Yeah Sony was like, man we should limit it to wired only just for the hell of it. It's not like we don't have two wireless modules to maintain 2 wireless connnections, we just want to screw people over.

Those FUCKERS! how can they limit?!!:lol

Defuser

SCEJ,you have let me down again and again and again.I should have known you will fuck it up somehow.

DarkJC said:
I'm not gonna spend money and trouble on wires since the modem/router is far away from my ps3 and I can't move the modem/router due to circumstances.

Defuser

The Faceless Master said:
has this been announced for any region other than japan?
US but it hasn't been announced yet but we know since Capcom is releasing Monster Hunter Freedom Unite(MHP2G) to the states.

duckroll

skybastos said:
Can anyone test this ones:

- Lost Regnum aka Warriors of the Lost Empire
- Guilt Gear Judgment

It doesn't look like anyone has tested GG Judgment yet, but 2ch has an updated list including Lost Regnum:

Working:

Tekken DR
Musou Orochi
YugiohTF 2
Dracula X Chronicles
Shoten Beat
KoF (US)
Mahjong Fight Club

Not Working:

fl0w
Lumines 2 (disconnects when reading skin)
Valhalla Knights 2 (Versus works, it disconnects randomly when playing co-op)
Lost Regnum (disconnects when you enter a dungeon)

duckroll

skybastos said:
Bummer, it was my last hope to play that game online :(

Maybe it'll work somewhere down the line. I'm really surprised how many titles are supposedly working well without being officially compatible, so it's a good sign so far.

RpgN

skybastos said:
Can anyone test this ones:

- Lost Regnum aka Warriors of the Lost Empire
- Guilt Gear Judgment

I have GGJ on my memory stick (official from US store). Does it work, or do you need to have the UMD?

Ps Duckroll, I have Tekken EU version. We can play a match with no problems even if yours is JP version?

Flek

Banned
Ok i tried it and have some questions :

1. can someone please poste the list of officaly supportet games?

2. once youre in ad hoc party and you chosed a loby and entered it what do you need to do to get you psp reconized? I mean so that you get the little "psp icon" filled out?

duckroll said:

That's really odd. When using remote play on the PS3 I can choose to connect directly to the PS3 or trough my router, if I connect directly I still have access to PSN so it's connecting both to the router and the PSP wirelessly. Why can't they do the same for this?

Meh... my PS3 is like 10 feet away from my router :S

duckroll

RpgN said:
I have GGJ on my memory stick (official from US store). Does it work, or do you need to have the UMD?

Ps Duckroll, I have Tekken EU version. We can play a match with no problems even if yours is JP version?

You just need the software, and the latest version of firmware for PSP and PS3. If you bought it from the store, it'll work since it's the ad-hoc code it's detecting, not the UMD.

I don't know if we can play across versions, I've never really tried playing PSP ad-hoc multiplayer across different software regions...

Edit: More games confirmed to work:

Wipeout Pulse
Coded Arms
Capcom Classics Final Fight (US)
FFT

RpgN

duckroll said:
You just need the software, and the latest version of firmware for PSP and PS3. If you bought it from the store, it'll work since it's the ad-hoc code it's detecting, not the UMD.

I don't know if we can play across versions, I've never really tried playing PSP ad-hoc multiplayer across different software regions...

Edit: More games confirmed to work:

Wipeout Pulse
Coded Arms
Capcom Classics Final Fight (US)
FFT

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I'm going to have to try this baby out :D

And OMG FFTA?

Someone needs to try WE Pure and MH1 out.

Flek

Banned
Flek said:
2. once youre in ad hoc party and you chosed a loby and entered it what do you need to do to get you psp reconized? I mean so that you get the little "psp icon" filled out?

anyone?

Top Bottom