• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Ad nauseam] ANOTHER new game streaming Stadia competitor thing happening. Called Vortex. IBM&RemotemyAPP

https://aithority.com/gaming/remotemyapp-adopts-ibm-cloud-to-scale-multi-platform-gaming-service/
IBM announced that Polish startup RemoteMyApp will adopt IBM Cloud for increasing global reach and scaling of its Vortex gaming platform.
Vortex allows users to play games anywhere in the world on almost any device – smartphone, tablet, or smart TV –via the application, without downloading the game. As the platform has grown in usage and expanded to new markets such as Latin America and South East Asia, Vortex needed to scale its services, updates, and functionality to meet growing demand from players. Vortex turned to IBM Cloud to provide the global scale needed to provide a low latency gaming experience no matter where players are or what device they are using.
IBM Cloud positions the Vortex platform to provide high performance computing service with GPU graphics cards. Using powerful servers hosted in several of the nearly 60 IBM Data Centers around the world, Vortex can handle an infinite number of players from all continents without any loss in efficiency or quality of services and with the lowest possible latency. With a game library available in the cloud, gamers will even play games on older devices because all of the processing, including graphics, has been transferred to the cloud.

This Vortex gaming stream service allows you to play on any device, and claims that you can even play high quality games on less powerful hardware because the cloud is streaming repetition to your brain and causing you to have a stroke with how many damn companies are jumping on this train.

Also IBM 60 datacenters will do the thing, which is a much smaller number than Googles so I don't even know what the hell they are doing trying to compete with less infrastructure BUT EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING IT SO I GUESS THEY THOUGH THEY MAY AS WELL JOIN TOO.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
You know what they say, the more the merrier!

You don't have to like or go to the party, but there's no need to jump on everyone who wants and does go to the party

Vortex.

giphy.gif

lol

All these investors are gonna be really unhappy at the end of this. If there is a market for these streaming services I think MS and Google will dominate it. I think even Stadia faces an uphill climb and I don’t see these other bandwagon attempts thriving whatsoever

I could be wrong though

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
All these investors are gonna be really unhappy at the end of this. If there is a market for these streaming services I think MS and Google will dominate it. I think even Stadia faces an uphill climb and I don’t see these other bandwagon attempts thriving whatsoever

I could be wrong though

The funny part is I feel like Sony has a better possibility to do it better than Google. Why you ask? Because they have the content. Content is king! If they take the next step with PSNow and treat it like a new generation, they'll create a PS+ Premium option for $20 a month where you get access to PS+, plus their streaming option that they have now.

The big change will be you'll be able to also stream your physical media games that you purchased to any device. That would be awesome. And like people on GAF have said.....Sony having PSNow up and running for 4 years gives them alot of experience over Google.

Geki-D

Banned
BUT EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING IT SO I GUESS THEY THOUGH THEY MAY AS WELL JOIN TOO.
...But these guys have been around for some time. Even the article says they're expanding their services, not starting them. They've been around at least since november 2018.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Or the catalyst to a new video game crash.
I was actually thinking the same thing. There's going to be a serious oversaturation of streaming services if they all actually end up happening. Though I think it's more than likely about 3 or 4 actually get the general public's attention and the rest are just there either barely staying afloat or they go under.

...But these guys have been around for some time. Even the article says they're expanding their services, not starting them. They've been around at least since november 2018.

Which the expansion is to be an all-device anywhere streaming service using IBM datacenters.

Geki-D

Banned
Which the expansion is to be an all-device anywhere streaming service using IBM datacenters.
Sure, but then the thread's title is "ANOTHER new game streaming Stadia competitor", you also say they're jumping on the train, which is wrong. They aren't "new" and they've been on the train since the beginning :pie_ssmiling:

Sure, but then the thread's title is "ANOTHER new game streaming Stadia competitor", you also say they're jumping on the train, which is wrong.

Except it isn't because that expansion is new, and they are only now competing with IBMs assistance.. And the reason why IBM is even interested is to jump on the train.

Geki-D

Banned
Except it isn't because that expansion is new, and they are only now competing with IBMs assistance.. And the reason why IBM is even interested is to jump on the train.
Come on dude, you going to pretend that's what you actually meant considering how your OP is worded?
17c.png

Come on dude, you going to pretend that's what you actually meant considering how your OP is worded?

You mean the OP inside a thread with a title that mentions IBM? And also mentioned IBM datacenters in the OP itself?

You're trying way to hard to nitpick, it's a new streaming competitor, if IBM wasn't involved you may have had 2% of a point.

To me, this streaming thing is like the WildTangent of today. Nobody used it, but sure as shit, it was installed on everyone's computer.

This wave of game streaming companies coming out of nowhere is seriously analogous to a giant orgy where there's only one woman and 200 different dudes all trying to have sex with her at the same time. It's not going to work. A lot of people are going to plunge their investment money into ventures that will fail horribly.

The game developer market is saturated already as is. This game streaming service providers explosion is just going to collapse badly and leave a lot of poor folks lose a lot of money because of an over saturated market.

There have also been other companies that tried game streaming, and they tanked fucking HARD.

I'm starting a streaming service too. It'll use all the billions of Ouyas out there as data centres for flawless 3fps, 15000 ms game streams. Just gotta dig some out of a landfill near you and you're good to go.

No, you're not good to go without an awesome name like Stadia or Vortex. The key to your product is in the name.

Here, I'll give you one for free.

The Vradiex.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I think most of these will flop big time. I think MS is by far the most likely to succeed and I think Sony is the only other player that has a chance. They're both gaming companies that know the business, know what gamers want and have their own content. Sony may not have the infrastructure of the big boys but they have several years of game streaming experience already.

I could be wrong but I don't see all these companies surviving.

Thank God Voost Kain isn't here to tell me how Stadia will beat them all.

Top Bottom