• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Orth no longer with Microsoft

Eusis

This is debatable. That's highly dependent how you use the device. If you're primary focusing on browsing, social media and other online services - you're absolutely right. I can just talk for myself and I'm using it mostly for reading (sources which are typically stored locally) and occasionally playing games. Sure, I'm using all the online stuff (like for example Netflix streaming) too - but my iPad doesn't suddenly become a useless brick if I'm (maybe forced) happen to be offline.
This is another valid point to keep in mind: ANY online enabled device "is a brick" if you're mainly using online functionality, so the current Xbox would still be "a brick" if you only played online games and streaming on it, and it kinda showed when people who really DID just that stated it wouldn't affect them, even I have to admit there's no really good reason (outside of "out of principle" anyway) to skip an always online console if you only wanted to play online games on it anyway. Likewise it's very easy to mainly use a tablet just for reading or playing games and so it'd be as useful (more potentially) as a typical game handheld then.

Ledsen

Re: The discussion about CliffyB's comments etc:

Never treat a group of people as a single entity unless they have specifically chosen a
representative to speak for them. NeoGAF has not.

It's not that hard.

With that simple rule in mind, you can avoid a lot of grief.

I knew I guy who got sent to a cabin in the woods for weeks on end. For a park ranger type job. Not everybody who goes somewhere remote is doing it for a vacation.

Saying anybody going to a cabin shouldn't take a game system is like saying soldiers shouldn't take a game system to Iraq or Afghanistan.

Young Clifford continues to show how out of touch he is.

Hero

Well recent rumors point to the 720 not actually being required to be always connect. And yes you IPAD may still work without any WiFi conection, but it becomes a shell of what it is capable of.

You can still play your games, read your e-books, watch movies or shows you have downloaded, etc on your iPad when it's not connected. Not even remotely the same thing as rumors of the next Xbox were indicating.

thefil

I felt Cliff Bleszinski's reply was basically two notes:

1) Adam was bullied, both before and after he lost his job.
2) Discussion regarding Adam's insinuation of always online was misguided.

The problem is how these arguments are conflated. If you were discussing that always online is a problem, you were also "vitriolic" and "lynch mobbing", a member of the bullying cohort.

I think it's completely reasonable to call out #1. But what Bleszinski seems to be insinuating in his blog post is that because parts of the Internet community participate in bullying, all discussion (and emotion) about always-online entertainment is being propagated by bullies and idiots. He's making the classic argumentative mistake of identifying an entire perspective with that of the most radical, immature people who hold that perspective.

Arguing to shut down all discussion of a topic because some people yelling in the discussion are bullies is ridiculous. The point of an open format for communication (the Internet) is to exchange ideas. And in the case of a customer's relationship with Microsoft, it's these kind of discussions that are the exclusive means for communicating with the company.

Unfortunately, Bleszinski won't be the last person to assume that the inmates are running the asylum. Everyone on this forum and others should make an effort to be well behaved and respectful. The more obnoxious voices making personal attacks, the more a legitimate concern is going to be painted as nothing more than a bunch of raving, disrespectful children slinging shit at a wall.

One thing he is definitely right about: everyone drawing a link between the departure and their own behavior, or reveling in this dismissal, has a serious misconception about adequate reciprocation for a rude comment or two, especially when those rude comments by Orth were followed up by apologies.

Don't compare that douche Adam to Jeff. Jeff is not a douchebag and he lost his job because of his integrity so how is that funny?

The biggest diff is that this MS guy was talking as if he knew exactly what was going on inside the xbox division as if he was running the show while Jeff was just a straight up guy. Still wasnt right to can him imo.

The other diff is that Jeff now works WITH gamespot while the people who let him go are long gone. They basically destroyed that sites reputation for a long time to come.

MasLegio

Banned
Some words for Cliffy, the shit you got right.

If you are going to a cabin in the woods, yeah it is probably better not to bring your console with you. While it would be nice if your console worked, your phone, your IPAD WiFi, and your laptop would also be pretty useless in such a situation. If you are going to a cabin in the woods, enjoy being away from all that bull shit.

Other things he was correct about is the evolution of gaming in general. The world is evolving, and concepts like always online are going to become the norm no matter how much we bitch about it. You do have always online games like the new Sim City, Diablo 3, WOW, DOTA 2, and the other huge sellers like COD, Halo, and Battlefield where the game itself is pretty bare bones without online play. Look at your IPAD and look at the top grossing games, they are mostly always online affairs. No amount of bitching is going to bring the good ol days back again.

No amount of yelling "Anti Consumer" is going to change how the industry works. Those examples that many dismissed as silly in regards to other industries are actually relavent. You need a gas station to get gas. You need electricity for your television. You need Windows to play most PC games. You can only watch newly released films at a movie theater, and then they decide you can watch it at a hotel, then they decide you can only purchase a digital version of such film, then they decide you can rent the film or get it on demand, or purchase it on Blu-Ray/DVD... then they take away most of those formats and you maybe get it on Netflix, or HBO. Eventually it may come to cable television, and on the rare occasion you are "Saving Private Ryan" and you get to see on the few "free" networks. Nobody bitches about that process which is even more crazy anti consumer then anything you see in the gaming industry. But it is so engrained that you deal with it, just as you will the future of gaming.

Nobody bitches about that process since they use alternative means to get that content anyway. Its a win-win situation, the ones who would like to pay for the content to get it early gets it for free and the studios gets money from the people who do not care as much and are willing to wait.

Not sure why he was fired for supporting Microsoft's decision
It's always been clear. Adam got fired for leaking Microsoft's decision and being smug about it. Microsoft would break the news out in a much nicer way.

xenist

Of course he was fired for leaking Microsoft's PR strategy. Did anyone actually think he was fired because the internet was mean?

Top Bottom