• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler: The cheering in the audience is not coming from the press...

Into

e0cIP2E.jpg

https://twitter.com/AdamSessler/status/336901672662077443

Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bomb noted the same:

Thanks Samurai_Heart

Atrophis

Pretty obvious. The overhead shots didn't show anyone in the audience clapping or cheering.

Whats funny is that Sony have been doing that for years but they didn't at the PS4 reveal so it felt quiet at times.

I don't that's very surprising, the audience probably has a lot of MS people in it. Press shouldn't be cheering, even if the event was more exciting.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I thought it was obvious. There's no way a normal person would cheer for anything that got an ovation during that conference.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
They're called plants, and populate most major press conferences. The obnoxious hollaring at every Sony and Microsoft E3 is exactly this.

This is pretty standard for press conferences, really.

However some of those fly-bys of the audience where literally no one was clapping or moving and all you could hear was "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" were really funny. I hope someone uploads those to youtube.

They're called plants, and populate most major press conferences. The obnoxious hollaring at every Sony and Microsoft E3 is exactly this.

I still remember that E3 where people cheered for pink Mary Kate & Ashley PSPs, and later a bunch of journalists complained about all the fan bloggers up at the front who couldn't stop shouting.

CengizMan

The cheering was absolutely terrible, obnoxious and downright infantile. They really overdid it. Doesn't it also ridicule the press in some way?

Zaph

Not sure if it was real, but I saw a screen shot of an email "hardcore" Xbox Live users received from Microsoft. Apparently they invited 400-500 fans to the event.

Here it is, from Reddit. Fake?

ZFPOyC2.jpg

Well not much details at the moment. Towards the bottom of the email it states "But hurry – only the first 475 Xbox Live Rewards VIPs to act will be a part of Xbox history." I had to fill out a form, then they said they will let me know in 48 hours if I made the first 475. I filled the form out as soon as I got the email so I'm hoping I get to go! I think I rember reading that only Los Angeles residents are eligible, since E3 is in LA. Needless to say I'm stoked!

KarmaCow

I was kinda expecting for there to be cheering when they revealed 8GB RAM because it happened at the PS4 reveal, but no, the hollering was weirdly limited to the kinect garbage.

Dug

Banned
I always assumed the cheering and clapping I hear at these conferences were not from the press...

Jac_Solar

I saw a 2-5 minute segment or so of the Xbox One reveal itself, and the cheering just sounded so lackluster. It was weird, but if they hired people off the streets to cheer then it makes sense. Not that it deserved more, or less cheering -- it just didn't sound genuine.

Dragon

Banned
I hope not. I'd lose what little respect I have.

Microsoft announcing all this negative news out of conference just shows them to be the cowards they are!

Leonsito

Pretty much true, for every single conference I've seen in the last 15 years, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Apple, Google,...

Thorakai

Yea, there was one jarring moment when the applause started as soon as the presenter finished describing features that didn't seem to warrant it at all.

krizzx

It is not coming from gamers, either.

I said the same thing about the PS4.

Now, I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that only console to impress me this new gen is the Wii U purely because it actually offered something innovative and new.

I will say that the XboxOne reveal was a lot better than the PS4 reveal though. They at least had an actual console and a new I.P. to show. The PS4 event was pretty much just to advertise the 8GBDDR5 which I bet money is going to fail to live up to the hype just like the Cell.

Rad-

I said the same thing about the PS4.

Now, I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that only console to impress me this new gen is the Wii U purely because it actually offered something innovative and new.

I will say that the XboxOne reveal was a lot better than the PS4 reveal though. They at least an actual console to sale. The PS4 even twas pretty much just to advertise the 8GBDDR5 which I bet money is going to fail to live up to the hype.

Both reveals were so bad. I really hope E3 delivers.

Paskil

These companies all need to stop pausing for applause at press conferences. It's awkward as fuck. It's a press conference, not Joe/Jane Q. Public.

Top Bottom