• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Wingard to direct Godzilla vs Kong

Penguin

border

So will this come before or after Godzilla 2?

How are they going to bridge the ~30 year time gap between Skull Island and Godzilla?

Despite Blair witch being awful I am a bigger fan of this choice than the ppl who directed kong and Godzilla

They're pivoting to much more interesting genre talent for the sequels.

I'm happy with that decision. I liked Kong more than Godzilla but I'm glad there's a new director for this. Interested in seeing what Michael Dougherty does with Godzilla 2, though.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I fucking hated You're Next the first time I watched it. Then I watched it again. And again. And again. And ended up loving it. Loved The Guest right away, so I don't have an issue with this choice.

I dunno. Adam Wingard's greatest strengths IMO has been his ability to subvert genre conventions. That was why Blair Witch was pretty much a failure, and I don't think he can do something like that with this movie.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You're Next was great and The Guest wasn't decent, haven't seen Blair Witch. Interested to see this but I thought Kong was a bit of a turd when I finally saw it and I didn't love the Godzilla movie especially after Shin Godzilla. Well if nothing else it should be a well directed train wreck.

Steamlord

Loved You're Next, disliked The Guest, didn't even bother with Blair Witch... Not sure what to think about this.

I still think his greatest directorial achievement is the part in You're Next where the girl tries to prove herself to her family by sprinting out the door and...

I'm hoping its more of a BvS situation where they fight, but then team up later against a bigger threat. I dont want them to kill each other.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Waste of a film, IMO. Even the least of Godzilla's rogue's gallery is more interesting than a giant ape.

Bluth54

Waste of a film, IMO. Even the least of Godzilla's rogue's gallery is more interesting than a giant ape.

The original King Kong vs Godzilla sold more tickets than any other Godzilla movie in Japan.
Kong and Godzilla are probably the two best known giant monsters in the world. It makes a lot of sense to do Godzilla vs King Kong.

Great pick, but that's what I said about Blair Witch and I was heartbroken. He completely devastated one of my favorite franchises.

Let's see how he does for a franchise I have no interest in then, you can only go up I guess :p

Blader

Loved The Guest and had a strange but ultimately positive experience with You're Next. Great choice. Really looking forward to both Godzilla sequels now.

I fucking hated You're Next the first time I watched it. Then I watched it again. And again. And again. And ended up loving it. Loved The Guest right away, so I don't have an issue with this choice.

Heh, this was kinda how I felt about You're Next, compressed within the space of one viewing.

I don't know what to make of Adam Wingard right now. I loved The Guest, but I was lukewarm on You're Next and he completely and utterly fumbled Blair Witch. His shorts from the VHS and ABCs of Death compilations weren't very interesting either. I hope he pulls of this one, Death Note, and I Saw the Devil because I'm probably going to see them all regardless.

Bronx-Man

Banned
WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME!?

SKREEEONK

76c.png

I like that they slyly addressed the potential size different in Kong by insinuating that he's young and still growing.

Bring on a jobber clobber stomp in the second act, and then Mecha Kong for the finale!

38b2baa95c4394eda20534c54e5667af.jpg

Team Godzilla x 9999999

Or a Godzilla/Kong heel team-up to eradicate mankind.

RS4-

Terry Rossio, the veteran scribe best known for co-writing the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, as its head
Patrick McKay and J.D. Payne (Star Trek Beyond)
Maze Runner movies writer T.S. Nowlin, Jack Paglen (Transcendence)

lolol

That's an interesting choice that makes me kind of excited. Blair Witch was kinda shit, but overall the dude is pretty solid.

Looks like they're keeping with the trend of getting indie directors to help mega blockbusters in this monster-verse.

So will this come before or after Godzilla 2?

How are they going to bridge the ~30 year time gap between Skull Island and Godzilla?

They acknowledge in Skull Island that Kong is relatively young, giving him time to grow into the role.

Also, I wouldn't expect most of the human characters to recur much, if at all.. The two Monarch employees in Skull Island were ~30 , so recasting them with older actors wouldn't be difficult.

Top Bottom