• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Wingard to direct Godzilla vs Kong

duckroll

I don't understand. Why get a creative indie horror director who is totally untested on blockbusters to direct a big crossover film where all anyone wants to see is crazy efforts as two big CGI monsters beat each other up?

Blader

I don't understand. Why get a creative indie horror director who is totally untested on blockbusters to direct a big crossover film where all anyone wants to see is crazy efforts as two big CGI monsters beat each other up?

Because of these two bits:

Wingard’s stock has been rising among the studio set, and he has been in the mix of some high-profile directing gigs, Sony's Venom among them, as execs and producers have become eager to work with him.

Wingard is said to be a massive creature-feature fan of both Godzilla and Kong movies and nabbing the project, one of the larger-budgeted franchises out there, should be a dream come true.

Sephzilla

76c.png
Omfg

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Because you need to crush them before they can truly get there.

Wanted to see Edwards to come back because his visuals are great and it's all I want from what's essentially going to be a mindless CGIfest. It's not gonna be as good as the original but oh well.

Aki-at

Team Godzilla.

Interesting. As long as he has a personal passion for the subject, it's all good. Would be more worrying if the studio even considered making this something subversive.

Should be pointed out Edwards was a Godzilla fan too and we got a 2 hour cocktease :p

Ithil

Team G.

By the way, the ending of the original Godzilla vs Kong was nonsense. Godzilla spends most of his time in the ocean, how is Kong the one swimming away? He should be naught but monkey chow for Godzilla.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Godzilla decapitated a muto with his atomic breath.

Good LUCK Kong bros.

Ithil

I dunno. Adam Wingard's greatest strengths IMO has been his ability to subvert genre conventions.

He's a giant nuclear mutated lizard. His partner is a gargantuan ape.
Together, they must coach an inner city basketball team to championship victory, without destroying said inner city.

Team G.

By the way, the ending of the original Godzilla vs Kong was nonsense. Godzilla spends most of his time in the ocean, how is Kong the one swimming away? He should be naught but monkey chow for Godzilla.

It's established in the first movie that Godzilla is slow in the water, it's not like he was gonna pull a death roll on Kong all of a sudden. Kong knocked Godzilla out so hard he literally washed up on shore 2 years later in Mothra vs Godzilla.

LiK

The real baddie will appear in the last third to interrupt their fight so we'll never know who wins. Calling it now.

CazTGG

He's a giant nuclear mutated lizard. His partner is a gargantuan ape.
Together, they must coach an inner city basketball team to championship victory, without destroying said inner city.

So...their final battle will be against Charles Barkley?

godzilla_62256853599.jpg

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Dat Marvel formular.
They already did very good adapting the Cinematic Universe aspect, now they are going for the cheap directors.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The guest was amazing.

Blair Witch was a mis-step. Glad to see him get a second shot at the big time.

big ander

Not the mumblecore director id have handed the reigns to, but we'll see if he can pull it off
Legendary and Warner Bros present, Godzilla vs. Kong: A Film by Andrew Bujalski. Youre in for the thrill ride of your life as cinema's greatest behemoths grapple...with ennui and romantic uncertainty, and then maybe go to an indie rock concert

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
I'm still having trouble getting over Blair Witch, but then, in the back of my mind, the soundtrack to The Guest starts playing. All is forgiven.

I don't know his work, but good luck to him, I hope he doesn't fuck this up.

And yes, team Godzilla. I will not accept any other outcome outside of a Clue ending.

Haven't seen Blair Witch, but I adored You're Next and The Guest. Not sure how that style will translate to a Kaiju movie, but the guy deserves a shot.

Enk

makes good threads.
Interesting choices in directors for both this and Godzilla 2. Both have carved out their own unique spot in the modern horror world. Kind of makes me wonder what kind of tone they're hoping to set with both of these movies.

Anung

Un Rama
I'm cool with this. I haven't see the new Blair Witch yet but other than that I don't think he's directed anything I didn't enjoy.

- J - D -

People want to see two giant monsters beating the shit out of each other. Indie horror sensibilities I don't see being a match for this but whatever Wingard has put out some good movies so I'm hopeful.

I think.

KDC720

Haven't seen Blair Witch, but I adored You're Next and The Guest. Not sure how that style will translate to a Kaiju movie, but the guy deserves a shot.

Agreed, The Guest and You're Next are fantastic.

Was the new Blair Witch that bad though? Haven't seen it but impressions seemed middling at the least.

Top Bottom