• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Wingard to direct Godzilla vs Kong

I didn't think it was that bad. I actually enjoyed it.

I thought that it not only failed to capture the point of what was scary about The Blair Witch Project (turning it into a monster movie...wat), but was unrelentingly poor even when taken as it's own thing. That set-piece where the girl climbs the tree was one of the most tensionless attempts at creating tension I've ever seen. Some of the hide and seek stuff at the end was pretty decent though, so it gets a few points for that, and when that one character crumpled up it kinda creeped me out.

I don't understand. Why get a creative indie horror director who is totally untested on blockbusters to direct a big crossover film where all anyone wants to see is crazy efforts as two big CGI monsters beat each other up?

That's been the strategy for every one of these big budget monster movies including the Jurassic World movies. Relatively inexperienced indie genre directors that have made one or two fairly well recieved movies that get some genre fan cred. They usually take the offer because it lets them work on a property they probably love, and step into the big leagues pretty quickly.

Agreed, The Guest and You're Next are fantastic.

Was the new Blair Witch that bad though? Haven't seen it but impressions seemed middling at the least.

I personally loved the new Blair Witch. It frightened me to my core, and I'm usually not scared when watching horror movies.

I seem to be in the minority though. I'm not sure why, honestly.

gabbo

That's been the strategy for every one of these big budget monster movies including the Jurassic World movies. Relatively inexperienced indie genre directors that have made one or two fairly well recieved movies that get some genre fan cred. They usually take the offer because it lets them work on a property they probably love, and step into the big leagues pretty quickly.

To be fair, while Monsters is divisive here, it is a giant monster/alien invasion movie on a shoestring budget, so it's not like Gareth Edwards was completely out of his element with Godzilla. The man can do monsters, people on the other hand....

eRDgZrP.png

Not bad

Aki-at

I mean Hedorah being number 2 has me worried but the fact he even has a top 5 Godzilla films list has me excited at the same time.

Hopefully he'll top it off with Godzilla supplexing Kong before realising they're were friends all along and take on the Pacific Rim alien kaijus.

Where's GMK?

Anyway, I hope he does well. Even more interested with how Death Note turns out now.
its possible, even probable that he hasn't seen all the films. Even massive Kaiju nerds (like me) haven't seen every G-flick yet.

and speaking as a massive Kaiju nerd. I'm actually a bit bummed about this. Godzilla vs. Kong is really the least creative possible avenue to take the series towards. Its taking the two best known giant anythings and pitting them against each other, it'll even have a near 60-year-old antecedent when it comes out. I'd love to see Godzilla continue to fight original creatures, the otherworldly MUTO's brought a lot to Godzilla 2014. And the Millenium run pretty much only used the greatest hits of G's supporting cast. G2014 and Shin Godzilla both found new takes on the series. I'd be happy with more lateral movements.

I'm also bummed because we might never get another Wingard/Barrett film, and that's a friggin shame. As I enjoyed both The Guest and You're Next waaaaaaay more than Kong: Skull Island (and this is said as a massive Kaiju nerd).

DeathyBoy

Banned
They acknowledge in Skull Island that Kong is relatively young, giving him time to grow into the role.

Also, I wouldn't expect most of the human characters to recur much, if at all.. The two Monarch employees in Skull Island were ~30 , so recasting them with older actors wouldn't be difficult.

Just cast Gary Oldman as an older version of Loki's character.

Do you know what the oldest lie in America is, senator? That apes are friendly.

Blader

Destoroyah and Destroy All Monsters... yikes. Conceptually they're both pretty cool but outside of a handful of cool monster scenes they're weak movies.

Destroyah is the best movie in the series outside of the original (and maybe Shin, but I haven't seen it yet). Destroy All Monsters is great fun! But maybe it requires some buy-in from watching it repeatedly as a kid as I did (though really, don't all Godzilla movies require that kind of nostalgic buy-in? lol).

Monster Zero/Astro Monster is also, I think, a pretty underrated movie in the series... it's got one of the strongest human stories and villains in any Godzilla film.

That's a pretty reassuring top 5 to me! Even putting Hedorah at #2, while that's far from my favorite, indicates he's not afraid to get fucking weird with it.

Destroyah is the best movie in the series outside of the original (and maybe Shin, but I haven't seen it yet). Destroy All Monsters is great fun! But maybe it requires some buy-in from watching it repeatedly as a kid as I did (though really, don't all Godzilla movies require that kind of nostalgic buy-in? lol)

Destoroyah is the basic post-1991 Heisei movie. Poorly thought out characters, badly lit miniatures that suffer from a lack of detail, lazy monster effects and battles, etc. Again, outside of some cool scenes in the end it doesn't really stand up to scrutiny. Not all Godzilla movies require nostalgia to enjoy them. I have no nostalgia for Monster Zero, Hedorah, Son of Godzilla, or Godzilla vs King Ghidorah but I loved them because of the effort put into the movies and the legitimately well thought out themes and execution.

Blader

Reading through his Twitter, Wingard seems like a real cool dude. Also this:

Wuuqztk.jpg

So true ;_;

Destoroyah is the basic post-1991 Heisei movie. Poorly thought out characters, badly lit miniatures that suffer from a lack of detail, lazy monster effects and battles, etc. Again, outside of some cool scenes in the end it doesn't really stand up to scrutiny. Not all Godzilla movies require nostalgia to enjoy them. I have no nostalgia for Monster Zero, Hedorah, Son of Godzilla, or Godzilla vs King Ghidorah but I loved them because of the effort put into the movies and the legitimately well thought out themes and execution.

Vs. King Ghidorah is really uneven for me. Some of the best looking fights in the series, and I love the Godzilla and both Ghidorah suits. But all of the effects around the future people are so so bad -- distractingly bad, even for a Godzilla movie -- that it really takes me out of it. I have a similar problem with some of the Millennium movies, like GMK, where the effects are really bad and because they're computer-generated they're not even charming in the way bad effects from the Showa era were.

Also, like Biollante, there's just way too much from terrible English-speaking "actors" in that movie.

I've only seen Destroyah once, which was just a few years ago, and it impressed me more than any of the other Heisei movies, though I like Return/1985 and Mecha II also.

Top Bottom