• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Addicted to buying games, but can't finish them.

kingbean

My backlog is at this point a ledger as thick as a Stephen King novel.

Even games I was super hyped for I am unable to finish. I haven't finished Spider-Man and I love Insomniac games.
I picked Horizon Zero Dawn back up last night and played for a few hours and was still pretty bored.

Persona 5 couldn't finish. It was too long and dragged it's ass
Assassins Creed Odyssey, barely played a hour before I just dropped off.
Every Nintendo Switch game other than Zelda(beat Ganon and I'm still playing it slowly. Just finished the 90th shrine) I give up a few hours into.

BUT. I just finished replayed Devil May Cry 4 SE and just started on Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen for the first time and I'm having a good time. I'm also 20 hours into Dragons Quest 11 and I'm enjoying that quite a lot.
I also play many fighting games on the regular.

So it's not like i don't like video games anymore, it's just that I don't like most games anymore... I guess.

False Edit: I just realized that of all the games I've finished have been either retro games or Japanese games.

Edit: I've been playing games since the early 90s. I've also beaten tons of games not listed because it would be massive. It probably has to do with the fact that I have a full time job and I'm tired when I get home.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Maybe your gaming tastes are changing and you're buying games due to hype but not because they really interest you?

BANGS

Banned
What is it that you enjoy about wasting money? Get to the root of that and I have a feeling the rest of your problems will solve themselves...

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Sounds to me like you just don't enjoy certain games. Thread title should really have been "I start games and don't finish them all", which is perfectly normal.

The buying and never playing thing is a problem to anyone with a Steam account.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I hit this point a few years ago. So, I decided to build a collection of games I wanted to play and replay. This allowed me to start saying 'No' to most games. I've already resigned myself to the fact that I will not be able to play all of the good games out there. The market is so large that I can cherry-pick and still always have something entertaining to play.

What fighting games do you play regularly? That's where the gold is: arcade genres like fighting, arcade-racing, Vs puzzle, shmups, platforming, etc. These games give back whatever you invest into them. I've sunk 60, 70, 100+ hours in a lot of fighting games and shmup over the past years yet there is a very short list of traditional "story driven" games that've taken up an equal amount of my time.

NahaNago

I've really stopped impulse buying video games because of my backlog. Saves me money and having guilt over not playing those games.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
You don't necessarily have to finish a game. How many arcade games did you finish at the arcade? I'd play one for 10-15 minutes and then move on to another game. I got to play a good variety of games. Video games don't have an expiration date like milk and eggs. You can always go back.

kingbean

What is it that you enjoy about wasting money? Get to the root of that and I have a feeling the rest of your problems will solve themselves...
Depression and the search for the feeling of newness. I have a therapist I see every other week. I'm trying to get my spending under control, but when it's the only thing that feels the massive void it's sorta hard to just stop spending.

I hit this point a few years ago. So, I decided to build a collection of games I wanted to play and replay. This allowed me to start saying 'No' to most games. I've already resigned myself to the fact that I will not be able to play all of the good games out there. The market is so large that I can cherry-pick and still always have something entertaining to play.

What fighting games do you play regularly? That's where the gold is: arcade genres like fighting, arcade-racing, Vs puzzle, shmups, platforming, etc. These games give back whatever you invest into them. I've sunk 60, 70, 100+ hours in a lot of fighting games and shmup over the past years yet there is a very short list of traditional "story driven" games that've taken up an equal amount of my time.

SF Alpha 2/3, 3rd Strike, Ultra 4, SFV, KOF 98UM and Garou. I load a few of those up once a week.

Currently messing around with Soul Calibur 6 and DBFZ on switch.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I too used to fall into the Tsundoku trap with games, as evidenced by my Steam library of over 3,000 titles.

I started trying to focus on games that I knew I would enjoy (or at least thought I would) and dedicating myself to actually playing them when I get them. New game coming out I want to play? Better finish the one I'm playing first. The upside is that the new game will probably get a pretty good discount by the time I get around to having time playing it.

A few consequences of this I've found have been a bit weird - I found I really like games like Elder Scrolls Online or Diablo III that have a huge amount of content that I can play over the course of years. Also, since the majority of my console games were purchased physical - I have about 250 PS4 games in my library but have only added about 6 games in the last year which feels pretty weird to me.

Calibos

OP, I am terrible at this.

I blame it on my age, financial situation and available gaming time. I have an appetite for 40 hours of gaming per week, but am only able to eat 10-15 hours worth. Because of that appetite though, and disposable income, I buy way too many groceries that end up sitting for months and years.

Good luck!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Depression and the search for the feeling of newness. I have a therapist I see every other week. I'm trying to get my spending under control, but when it's the only thing that feels the massive void it's sorta hard to just stop spending.

SF Alpha 2/3, 3rd Strike, Ultra 4, SFV, KOF 98UM and Garou. I load a few of those up once a week.

Currently messing around with Soul Calibur 6 and DBFZ on switch.
You should dip your toes into the waters of anime poverty fighters like Guilty Gear, Arcana Hearts, Melty Blood, Under-Night, Persona 4 Ultimax, etc. Hit me up on PSN if you wanna spar a bit.

Also, try some harder games. Less story, more challenge. Go 1-credit-clear a shmup or perhaps a fighting game set to Hard (or higher). Inject some challenge into your games. Get crushed and pick yourself up and keep trying. Beat the game and you'll feel great. Stick with one or two games in particular. Don't hop around.

This will help with the depression as well as with the spending, speaking as someone who has suffered through the same.

kingbean

I feel that I'm doing better because I haven't bought Red Dead 2. But I also don't feel like I'd enjoy it. :p

xviper

i've always been addicted to trying out new games, but i dislike most games nowadays, i don't know if i have video games fatigue or new games sucks, recent example is RDR 2, i'm insanely bored with the game, there is so much i hate about it, i keep forcing myself to finish it but after every mission i just wish it ends

i believe the reason for this is that this generation's games are similar, open world, tons of repetitive missions and boring "cinematic" story

i just want a fun and linear games like before, if you want to make something big at least make it unique like Witcher 3 or BOTW, right now i'm looking forward to Spyro, i loved it as a kid and i'm sure i'm gonna love it now because it's unique and nothing is like it in this boring generation

i'm glad that some companies like Capcom are still making linear games and are not just following this boring open world trend, i have a feeling that ND's next new IP is gonna be an open world game

*Nightwing

I used to do this as well, I like collecting, and have a great collection spanning ps3, ps2, ps, xbox360, xbox, gamecube, dreamcast, saturn, genisis, n64, snes, & nes that i will never play most all of them, but display and look at with joy. I focused a lot on jrpg's and just any games I like, and my collection on all those old systems are complete, for my tastes. The only backlog I plan on completing, is my PlayStation games, and panzer dragon saga when I retire.

If you enjoy collecting, go for it, you dont need a reason other than you enjoy it, and you dont have to finish a game to say you enjoyed it.

Virex

Banned
I can't be the only person, right?

Yes I think you are, Chances are 99.9% possible that you are only being in the known universe who has this problem. You might want to go have a check up at your nearest GP. I've literally never ever in my life heard of a person with this problem. god speed

Last edited:

kingbean

You should dip your toes into the waters of anime poverty fighters like Guilty Gear, Arcana Hearts, Melty Blood, Under-Night, Persona 4 Ultimax, etc. Hit me up on PSN if you wanna spar a bit.

Also, try some harder games. Less story, more challenge. Go 1-credit-clear a shmup or perhaps a fighting game set to Hard (or higher). Inject some challenge into your games. Get crushed and pick yourself up and keep trying. Beat the game and you'll feel great. Stick with one or two games in particular. Don't hop around.

This will help with the depression as well as with the spending, speaking as someone who has suffered through the same.

Bruh. My anime fighter list is stacked. I've got 100+ hours in Melty Blood. Guilty Gear is probably my favorite in terms of gameplay and design. The 90s is so powerful in Guilty Gear. I've got a big ole Guilty Gear poster to go with my Street Fighter posters. Dizzy and Ramlethal figures too. :p
I play on PC otherwise I would play on PS4. Also, like I said I'm terrible at them I just love them.

I've never 1CC any arcade games, but I've managed to beat Metal Slug 1 with 4 credits and Metal Slug 3 I was able to 1 credit to the final level then it cost 10 credits to finish the last damage stage.

zenspider

I had this problem as well. I have 300+ PS4 games that I wanted to play or felt the need to buy day 1 or on a sale for whatever reason.

One of the biggest culprits has been games like Splatoon 1+2, Street Fighter V, and Overwatch taking up an inordinate amount of time. Even just the fact that I am playing the content I want within a minute of the impulse, rather than slogging through the generally awful introductions to single-player games.

I've done a better job budgeting my time and money this year, but for me, now is the big drought. After Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Astro Boy, everything I'm looking forward to (and commited budget to) this year - Monster Boy, Smash Ultimate, Dragon Marked For Death- is in December, and I'm really trying to hold off on grabbing something to hold me over.

I've been playing Street Fighter V religiously, but I feel the itch for something else.

My local library has games, but the joke is on me - I own and haven't played most of the titles I'd be interested in. This will be my solution to that itch going forward, but it might be a while until they have something genuinely captivating.

Last edited:

Iaterain

You need to develop a "taste" in gaming.
The modern video games mass media are corrupted and they making people to believe that all games are 10/10 and must be played, but in reality most of these games are forgetable or even bad. Think about what genres you enjoy the most. For example, I really enjoy horrors and rarely skip one. I also like challenging games like Dark Souls and despise easy games like Kirby. Ones you develop a taste, you will feel much better about your hobby and collection.

kingbean

You need to develop a "taste" in gaming.
The modern video games mass media are corrupted and they making people to believe that all games are 10/10 and must be played, but in reality most of these games are forgetable or even bad. Think about what genres you enjoy the most. For example, I really enjoy horrors and rarely skip one. I also like challenging games like Dark Souls and despise easy games like Kirby. Ones you develop a taste, you will feel much better about your hobby and collection.

I completely forgot to mention I've beaten Dark souls 1-3 multiple times and Demon's Souls once.

BANGS

Banned
the search for the feeling of newness
You aren't going to find that in a new game that you aren't going to play though. I suggest seeking out truly new experiences and things, that should satisfy your cravings for more...

jadedm17

At 18 I built my credit until around 25 they gave me so much I started to sink.
Now at 31 its mostly under control..... Mostly.

My physical collection is my last bad spending habit with almost a dozen X1/PS4 games unopened or played under an hour.
(Admittedly with Best Buy GCU some very cheap games, like a $2.14 copy of Arkham Knight I got 30 minutes of playtime.)

The Switch is where I have a real issue, especially with SuperRareGames and Limited Run, which sell limited physical copies of indie games.
My Switch collection is 27 strong with 8 unopened and 3 more coming this month. I have no plans to open Night Trap or Golf Story, though if a friend wanted to play them I'd allow it.
Most of these games range around $40 USD shipped and I'm fighting to not buy Snake Pass today.

Yea, I love buying games.

One of the biggest culprits has been games like Splatoon 1+2, Street Fighter V, and Overwatch taking up an inordinate amount of time.

Fortnite currently, Splatoon 2 before that; I agree, I love easy to jump in multiplayer shooters.

That said I'm also rebuying games I played just because they're on Switch, and have no real plans to play half - I've played Rayman Legends to completion on two other systems, I didn't /need/ a Switch copy.

Last edited:

bshock

Neo Member
I’m exactly the same way. Recently bought Tomb Raider, AC Odyssey, Forza Horizon 4, and RDR 2. Bored with all of them.

Already looking at Hitman 2 and Battlefield V to play this weekend, even though I know I won’t play them past a week.

kingbean

You aren't going to find that in a new game that you aren't going to play though. I suggest seeking out truly new experiences and things, that should satisfy your cravings for more...

If games don't give me satisfaction pretty quickly then it feels like a chore. I don't force myself to play games I'm not having a good time with.

I've gone on road trips and been to many concerts. Slept with women a care about and had one night stands. I've competed in regional martial arts demonstrations and played with a band.

I've done some pretty neat shit in my 30 years, but the past 2 years have been a hellish slog.

I haven't jumped out of a plane or done any drugs, and I don't plan on either of those lol.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Bruh. My anime fighter list is stacked. I've got 100+ hours in Melty Blood. Guilty Gear is probably my favorite in terms of gameplay and design. The 90s is so powerful in Guilty Gear. I've got a big ole Guilty Gear poster to go with my Street Fighter posters. Dizzy and Ramlethal figures too. :p
I play on PC otherwise I would play on PS4. Also, like I said I'm terrible at them I just love them.

I've never 1CC any arcade games, but I've managed to beat Metal Slug 1 with 4 credits and Metal Slug 3 I was able to 1 credit to the final level then it cost 10 credits to finish the last damage stage.
Niiice. GG is my favorite as well.

BANGS

Banned
I haven't jumped out of a plane or done any drugs, and I don't plan on either of those lol.
Don't mock it till you try it...

But honestly it sounds like you still have a lot more to experience and need to find new things outside your comfort zone. Maybe play some older games and get caught up in the nostalgically familiar as well, that helps...

A few people I'm sure.

I've sorta just come to terms with that if I'm not enjoying it I'm not going to finish it.

Well, if the game is a chore and they feel that way and ALSO FINISH it, who is the sane person here?

If I'm not having fun on the small window of time that I'm supposed to, then that game is OUT.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I heard one time that there are plenty of people who work in the industry that don't play. It was Brad Shoemaker from Giant Bomb who said he was shocked when he heard that information. I can't imagine all those CEO's and media analysts caring about finishing a game.

Imagine how it truly is, people who make the most money in the industry probably don't finish every single game and you're spending your money- worried about not finishing them.

Shouldn't we have a better feeling than that?

Video Games can come off as driving a new car off a lot. It decreases in value the moment you leave the dealership. They need the space for the next model (or Triple A game).

Take off that cowboy hat and put on a Pipboy. Then once you're done with the pipboy, putt on a zombie mask and run with a key blade.

It comes off like trends. It's fun to do all that. But when you feel like you're not enjoying the ride and you feel like your hype has been drained; then it all suddenly feels like you're some maniac consumer who can't get the same feeling back.

I lost my hype from God of War for Spider-Man and then RDR2. I can remember key moments from those games, but the launch day hype isn't as strong as it once was.

Heh, I definitely understand. My problem is I buy so many games, but I have no time to finish them. Yeah, funny enough I usually do end up completing most of the Japanese games. I like to complete my games from beginning to end to truly formulate an opinion on it much like I like to finish watching movies I start.

Another problem I have that I am sure heavily contributes to my problem is video games imho are becoming way too bloated and lengthy where I have to invest like approximately 30 to 60 hours per game just to complete each one now.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

probably FOMO marketing induced 'must buy' thing.

Best strategy is to understand that videogames, even the absolute best, are banal albeit entertaining distractions. Understanding that it becomes hard to get worked up over them. Think of them like anime or superhero movies.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I had that issue, and the secret is to address the actual feeling you get when you buy something. Ever heard about girls that go shopping to cheer themselves up? Or have closets and closets full of clothes they never wear? Same phenomenon really.

The actual act of purchasing something is in itself intoxicating to some people. You get a little dopamine hit and feel good when you get something. That's why you see some people get addicted to hiring prostitutes, combining sex with the dopamine rush of purchasing something is potent. But it's fleeting and if you chase that feeling forever, you just blow money on tons of stuff you don't need and end up feeling empty and regretful about your purchases.

So beat this back by focusing on managing your addiction to spending like an actual addiction. If you feel the need to spend money on something, try and go buy something small. Rent a movie off google play for $2, or go get a coffee. Try and hold on to more of your money and try and open a savings account. Gamify your savings account if you need to and you'll enjoy seeing the money build up, which can also be satisfying to watch.

Next, try and just enjoy games more. For me, I hit critical burnout a while ago and had to get off the rat race. What brought me back was Nintendo games. Often not bloated down with story, filler, bad UI, checklist bullshit. They start up quick and get right to good gameplay. Play a few GAMEPLAY classics, like Mario Odyssey, or Mario Kart 8. Just enjoy actual gameplay. Get away from single player open world games for a while.

If you feel the need to play something new, TRY YOUR BACKLOG OUT. You do own stuff you would enjoy playing.

Then after you've done all this for a while, you should be able to control your purchases a bit more effectively, and recognize when you're going off the rails.

kingbean

I had that issue, and the secret is to address the actual feeling you get when you buy something. Ever heard about girls that go shopping to cheer themselves up? Or have closets and closets full of clothes they never wear? Same phenomenon really.

The actual act of purchasing something is in itself intoxicating to some people. You get a little dopamine hit and feel good when you get something. That's why you see some people get addicted to hiring prostitutes, combining sex with the dopamine rush of purchasing something is potent. But it's fleeting and if you chase that feeling forever, you just blow money on tons of stuff you don't need and end up feeling empty and regretful about your purchases.

So beat this back by focusing on managing your addiction to spending like an actual addiction. If you feel the need to spend money on something, try and go buy something small. Rent a movie off google play for $2, or go get a coffee. Try and hold on to more of your money and try and open a savings account. Gamify your savings account if you need to and you'll enjoy seeing the money build up, which can also be satisfying to watch.

Next, try and just enjoy games more. For me, I hit critical burnout a while ago and had to get off the rat race. What brought me back was Nintendo games. Often not bloated down with story, filler, bad UI, checklist bullshit. They start up quick and get right to good gameplay. Play a few GAMEPLAY classics, like Mario Odyssey, or Mario Kart 8. Just enjoy actual gameplay. Get away from single player open world games for a while.

If you feel the need to play something new, TRY YOUR BACKLOG OUT. You do own stuff you would enjoy playing.

Then after you've done all this for a while, you should be able to control your purchases a bit more effectively, and recognize when you're going off the rails.

Solid advice. I do like spending money, but thankfully I have a decent 401k and stocks. That used to make me feel better about my spending.

I am working on my backlog a bit. It's why I'm plucking away at Dragons Dogma, I am enjoying it actually. I never finished Mario Odyssey, but I was enjoying it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Solid advice. I do like spending money, but thankfully I have a decent 401k and stocks. That used to make me feel better about my spending.

I am working on my backlog a bit. It's why I'm plucking away at Dragons Dogma, I am enjoying it actually. I never finished Mario Odyssey, but I was enjoying it.
A man of refined taste.

Ozrimandias

Man, i understand you very well i have the same problem (and man, the guilt that comes after buying a game)

I have so many games that i didnt finish or nearly started to play.....im worried more sometimes in buying a game that actually finish it.

Like the Yakuza franchise....i was planning to have some kind of a collection of yakuza games but, i havent even finish yakuza 0, in fact, im only passed the introduction of goro majima chapter.
Yesterday, i have a little of determination, buy Hitman 2 and Blackops 4 as a early christmas gift to myself, and really DONE with buying games, till TLOU2 comes up.
halp.

Me and you are in the same boat right now. Games simply don't have enough in then these days to warrant buying full price for them, at least to me. So I'm starting to buy less of them and limiting the list to RPG games and I'm starting to be happier.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i have so many games gone unfinished at this point. BOTW, FFXV, Nier Automata, Hollow Knight, Monster Hunter World, Captain Toad, Octopath Traveler, etc., etc. it's fine tho, it's a reason to still boot them up. back in the day i never really replayed games once i finished them cos they were linear and pretty much entirely without side content. compared to back then, this "problem" is actually a good thing imo.

games just take a long time to finish now. it's not 1992, when i bought TMNT IV: Turtles in Time for $50 (worth $89 in 2018 money given inflation) and then took it home and beat it in under an hour. most games take me months to beat, especially given that i just multiple games at a time. i can play a single game for months, even years in the case of BOTW.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Just play the games you love the most and appreciate that they're so good that you don't need to touch any of those other games. KOTOR, Mass Effect, and The Witcher series own me. I've stopped feeling guilty about playing these games hundreds of hours instead of playing some shit in my backlog.

OP, you're a step ahead of me. At least you're playing the games. My only consolation is that I've drastically reduced the number that I'm purchasing, and have thus far avoided purchasing a Switch/Xbox One/PS4. Because really... what's the point?

Gander

Banned
A couple ways to solve this. Sell the games you are not playing and enjoy the money or sit down and commit some time on the weekend to finish them off.

Top Bottom