• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Admit it, GAF - one of you is this seller (amazing collection on eBay)

Ishida

Banned
what are the 2 red snes cartridges?

Most probably Doom and Maximum Carnage.

2340345-SNES-DOOM.jpg

267811488_tp.jpg

They talk about it and the owner on NintendoAge.

Here's what he said on reddit:

Hey everybody, sorry, I’m just seeing this thread right now. I was hoping to make some sort of post first hand, but was beat to it, no worries. Just a short reasoning if anyone is interested. Oh, also, I’d like to apologize for being completely absent from the site. Sadly between work, house stuff, kids and working on this auction, time for my favorite hobby has been greatly diminished. I’m hoping things will calm down, but I admit it may be awhile before that happens. Due to the house stuff I’ve placed myself on a budget/collecting freeze. If some amazing deal comes around then I might still have to pick it up, ha… but other than that I’ll probably not add any games for a year or more. (That said, I have found a good deal I want to share with the community hopefully later today).

I'm not leaving the site or collecting, but I am open to selling everything if the right offer came around. I'm currently in the process of moving. My house is going up for sale very soon and everything collection-wise is already boxed up. I have the opportunity to build a new house but will most likely not be ready to move into that house for another year or more. In the meantime, since the collections boxed up, since I'm going to have a great deal of house building expenses I thought what the heck, why not list it all.
One of two scenarios will happen. First, I get a good enough offer, sell the collection put 95% of that money towards the house and leave the remaining 5% for a new game collection. If that happens my next collection will be much more small scale. Local garage sale, thrift store finds. Without a doubt my passion for retro gaming, collecting and the community has not diminished at all. Second, if I don't get a good offer, then that's fine, I'll hang onto it and continue to enjoy it, no big deal. I am planning on having a gameroom in the new house either way. I’ve been thinking in the back of my mind different displays I’d like to build.
It should be interesting I guess we will see what happens.

Ludist210

I thought this was about to be about my pics in the GAF Buy/Sell/Trade thread, but wow...amazing collection.

Packing and shipping all of that will suck though.

That is absolutely wonderful!

Always been a dream of mine to have a wall like that in my basement and others...I really like the organization and care that's gone into it. I keep telling myself "one day, when I'm older" and, at 34, the age is coming where eventually I'll be able to.

Some folks get old and buy Very Expensive Automobiles. I plan to buy games and play the shit out of them with my grandkids. Even have multiple boxed copies of a few real classics to give to my kids.

Krejlooc

Banned
Picture of the dude's daughter in the room for the "40 year old virgin" crowd

Z8EYutQ.jpg

This guy is well known in collecting circles. I really am amazed that he's selling his room so soon after assembling it.

Just buying a lot of those games at lower prices, you can build a shadow of a collection this size without breaking the piggy open. A $29-30 average per game is pretty substandard to me.

Something about this kinda bums me out. Someone spent a huge amount of time collecting and cataloging this just to sell it... I wish I knew the reason. I hope it's a happy one.

Krejlooc

Banned
@$30/piece is a bit on the high end.

Just buying a lot of those games at lower prices, you can build a shadow of a collection this size without breaking the piggy open. A $29-30 average per game is pretty substandard to me.

Yeah, if you're not buying garbo games, $30+ per game isn't hard to obtain. When you attempt to buy a complete collection for a system (or multiple systems) it fucks with your average price per cart value, as the vast majority of any systems catalog is nearly worthless.

I was looking through the imgur gallery - was Megaman X2 considered rare?

It's uncommon. Especially CIB. But it's not what I'd call rare.

The guy has a wife and kids already. In fact, he's posted pictures of his kids playing in this very room.

Jesus, that is an understanding family. Surprised his collection has lasted this long. Gaming can be an expensive hobby even for those who skirt the hardcore line, let alone something as enormous as this. Even looking at his more modern stuff, he is still constantly adding to this, just not a retro collection he has been sitting on. I guess if he sells it, that is the justification of the collection, that it could be worth this $167K some day. Anyone care to do the rough math on whether this is even close to being a profit for him? Do these huge lots ever sell?

Krejlooc

Banned
Jesus, that is an understanding family. Surprised his collection has lasted this long. Gaming can be an expensive hobby even for those who skirt the hardcore line, let alone something as enormous as this. Even looking at his more modern stuff, he is still constantly adding to this, just not a retro collection he has been sitting on. I guess if he sells it, that is the justification of the collection, that it could be worth this $167K some day. Anyone care to do the rough math on whether this is even close to being a profit for him? Do these huge lots ever sell?

The other guy posted in this topic, the one the poster confused with this guy - he has a wife and kids too. These people are loaded. The other collector posted, for example, has matching his and hers Lamborghinis. You have to walk through their car room to get to his private arcade.

Some people just have lots, and lots of money.

Krejlooc

Banned
Honestly, the quality of everything is probably why it's a little high. I mean, his whole collection is almost immaculate. 150K for everything wouldn't be unreasonable by any means.

Most of it is loose-cart. Honestly, that's a bit high. It's just a lot of games, they're not in extraordinary condition or anything.

I've seen complete, CIB NES, SNES, and N64 collections. Those are worth a ton, because their boxes are so hard to come by, especially for some titles.

dose

Super impressive collection, but he seems to be missing the original boxes to most of those games.

Teremap

Banned
@$30/piece is a bit on the high end.
If you're looking at it from that perspective, I suppose.

But I'm more looking at the sheer number of man-hours and effort required to build this collection in the first place. There's no doubt it took a sizable amount of time for the man to collect and organize everything like that.

The other guy posted in this topic, the one the poster confused with this guy - he has a wife and kids too. These people are loaded. The other collector posted, for example, has matching his and hers Lamborghinis. You have to walk through their car room to get to his private arcade.

Some people just have lots, and lots of money.

Guess that's true. For some reason the decor of that room made me think the dude wasn't very wealthy. The room has a very, "mom's basement" or average house look to it. Not some insane baller A/V room I have seen in GAF and other forum threads.

shuri

Banned
Plebs babby stuff.

Where's the NeoGeo and arcade hardware? That Shou guy on klov has basically every arcade game ever made and has lunches with Namco and Sega presidents in Japan on the reg

Wereroku

Guess that's true. For some reason the decor of that room made me think the dude wasn't very wealthy. The room has a very, "mom's basement" or average house look to it. Not some insane baller A/V room I have seen in GAF and other forum threads.

To be fair nes and snes games don't need a baller a/v setup. Mostly you just need and big crt and a good set of stereo speakers.

Plebs stuff. Where's the NeoGeo stuff?

Hehe NeoGeo AES folk are mostly insane from what I have seen I doubt many of them sell their whole collections.

Krejlooc

Banned

The guy justified it as the gaming room he wanted as a kid, and built it in part for his own kids. I guess that explains the aesthetic.

baphomet

Most of it is loose-cart. Honestly, that's a bit high. It's just a lot of games, they're not in extraordinary condition or anything.

I've seen complete, CIB NES, SNES, and N64 collections. Those are worth a ton, because their boxes are so hard to come by, especially for some titles.

There was that dude on assembler Adol or something like that with those complete sets of sealed games. Multiple systems at that. Shit like that just blows my mind. I had a friend with a CIB NES collection, and even that was a sight to behold.

Krejlooc

Banned
There was that dude on assembler Adol or something like that with those complete sets of sealed games. Multiple systems at that. Shit like that just blows my mind. I had a friend with a CIB NES collection, and even that was a sight to behold.

Yeah, I've seen a bunch of collections like that on Assembler. Sealed collections blow my mind. I actually play the games I collect. I am the bane of some collectors. I opened my copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga, for example.

But hey, how many people can claim they did that? That they were the first to actually play the copy they own?

Top Bottom