• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Advance Wars Could Be Delayed Until 2023

Draugoth

Gold Member
advance-wars.900x.jpg

There's a new rumour doing the rounds online that suggests fans of Andy, Sami, Max and co might be waiting until next year. It all stems from Twitter user 'EnterZalman' (as spotted by GameXplain), who recently got an email update about their pre-order of Advance Wars for Switch - suggesting the game won't be arriving until next year.

The date on the same retailer's website has also been changed to 24th February 2023. While a delay until next year could be possible, the exact date is admittedly odd - with commenters online highlighting how this would be exactly a year after the invasion of Ukraine. As a reminder, this was the message Nintendo originally issued the second time Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp was delayed:

"In light of recent world events, we have made the decision to delay Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp, which was originally scheduled to release on Nintendo Switch on April 8th. Please stay tuned for updates on a new release date."

The same retailer was reportedly correct about the release date of Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition. Nintendo's most recent update about the release date of Advance Wars was during its fianacial report (dating back to May) - listing the launch date as TBA.

Last edited:

rubenburgt

Wow... That's a long time.

Couldn't some players who had it pre-installed play the game once it had passed the first release date? I remember reading a post about that on this site.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Fine with me. I have had it pre-ordered for quite some time. But if it's not out in August, then they might as well just wait. Bayonetta, Mario + Rabbids 2, Splatoon already coming this year.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
Wow... That's a long time.

Couldn't some players who had it pre-installed play the game once it had passed the first release date? I remember reading a post about that on this site.
Yeah I think if they kept their system offline they could play it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Well done Nintendo. Wait for worldwide peace before releasing this game.
Missing the original release might have made it make more sense to wait longer than they planned. Their release schedule is absolutely packed for the rest of the year. Doesn't make any kind of market sense to release it this year with Pokemon, Bayonetta, Splatoon 3, Xenoblade 3, Mario Rabbids 2 all coming out this year. They already have more than both other first parties combined just with the last 5 months of the year. The game might do better in a slow period next year.

Missing the original release might have made it make more sense to wait longer than they planned. Their release schedule is absolutely packed for the rest of the year. Doesn't make any kind of market sense to release it this year with Pokemon, Bayonetta, Splatoon 3, Xenoblade 3, Mario Rabbids 2 all coming out this year. They already have more than both other first parties combined just with the last 5 months of the year. The game might do better in a slow period next year.
That is not packed. Not packed at all

Are you kidding me! My entire year is going to be busy with Xenoblade 3 and Sunbreak and I have Bayonetta 3 and Mario + Rabbits 2 to worry about in October.

I’m looking forward to Advance War but I’m honestly glad its got delayed for next year because this year I have no room for it.
Just Bayonetta 3 for me.

I can't believe Splatoon is still a thing, and like I said I'm glad you like Xenoblade but I'm not interested.

The first rabbids was good, don't think a second one needed to be made.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just Bayonetta 3 for me.

I can't believe Splatoon is still a thing, and like I said I'm glad you like Xenoblade but I'm not interested.

The first rabbids was good, don't think a second one needed to be made.
I mean if you are not interested in most of those games thats fine but it doesn’t mean this year it not packed.

I really liked original Mario + Rabbits, so I was definitely hoping for sequel.

Shifty1897

I would buy this day one but it's true my backlog is chaotically long right now because I keep buying old games I missed digitally on mega sale.

graywolf323

Gold Member
they could just release it in December like it was supposed to last year before it got delayed the first time

I mean if you are not interested in most of those games thats fine but it doesn’t mean this year it not packed.

I really liked original Mario + Rabbits, so I was definitely hoping for sequel.
I liked rabbids quite a bit, it was a breath of fresh air. Looked really good, decent challenge.

A sequel, it kinda just loses the fresh feel but hey maybe it will be a lot better? I have a ton, a ton of games in my backlog too lol.

Gambit2483

Seems strange to continue delaying when countless other games have come out about war.

At this point it might just be about scheduling conflicts. Especially if we're actually getting either a Metroid Prime Remake or Zelda HD Remaster this year.

Nintendo basically has the exact opposite software problem MS has this year, i.e. too many games.

Last edited:

Camreezie

Theres more than enough coming this year that i dont see this being an issue.

July - Xenoblade 3
August -
September - Splatoon 3
October - Bayonetta 3 / Mario Rabbids 2
November - Pokemon Scarlet/Violet
December -

I could see it hitting in December if they want something every month.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Nintendo probably doesn’t have enough videogames to fill up space between now and when they’ll announce their next home system. It’s probably just a scheduling thing. As long as they allow custom maps with online sharing and play, I’ll be happy.

Rykan

Again, this thread about Advance Wars is filled with people saying "But other games about war...!!"

Advance Wars literally opens with the player having to take back territory after they were invaded by a faction that is clearly inspired by the Russian federation led by a character that is clearly dressed in Russian Attire. This faction invaded because of a misunderstanding which led them to believe they were attacked first.

It's not that this game is about war that it's delayed. It's because its pretty much a fictional version of Russia invading neighboring country.

Last edited:
Again, this thread about Advance Wars is filled with people saying "But other games about war...!!"

Advance Wars literally opens with the player having to take back territory after they were invaded from a faction that is clearly inspired by the Russian federation led by a character that is clearly dressed in Russian Attire. This faction invaded because of a misunderstanding which led them to believe they were attacked first.

It's not that this game is about war that it's delayed. It's because its pretty much a fictional version of Russia invades neighboring country.

Only the mentally challenged would find offense over this game.

mcjmetroid

Advance Wars literally opens with the player having to take back territory after they were invaded by a faction that is clearly inspired by the Russian federation led by a character that is clearly dressed in Russian Attire. This faction invaded because of a misunderstanding which led them to believe they were attacked first.

It's not that this game is about war that it's delayed. It's because its pretty much a fictional version of Russia invading neighboring country.
Sigh... Really

All Nintendo have done now is drawn more attention to this. Nobody would have cared If they released this at the time. There are a million war game that have been released since. It's so bizarre.

Last edited:

Rykan

Sigh... Really

All Nintendo have done now is drawn more attention to this. Nobody would have cared If they released this at the time. There are a million war game that have been released since. It's so bizarre.
Drawn attention to what? They just want to avoid potential controversy by delaying the release of a playful take on a war game that has a very specific resemblance to a real conflict happening right now. How many games have come out since the conflict started that specifically have Modern Day Russia invading a neighboring country?

Drawn attention to what? They just want to avoid potential controversy by delaying the release of a playful take on a war game that has a very specific resemblance to a real conflict happening right now. How many games have come out since the conflict started that specifically have Modern Day Russia invading a neighboring country?
So fucking what though if a "fictional russia" invades another country. It's FICTIONAL. It's a cartoon. Fictional Russia has been used as the inspiration for war related stories since time memorial. This is just Nintendo being rediculous and over worried that they'll lose sales or anger people due to the sad state of political "correctness" that has infected the US and games journalism.

This is part of cancel culture and the very problem is reinforced every time a company caves or cancels due to fear. If you can't see that I don't think I'll be able to convince you but you never know.

Rykan

So fucking what though if a "fictional russia" invades another country. It's FICTIONAL. It's a cartoon. Fictional Russia has been used as the inspiration for war related stories since time memorial. This is just Nintendo being rediculous and over worried that they'll lose sales or anger people due to the sad state of political "correctness" that has infected the US and games journalism.

This is part of cancel culture and the very problem is reinforced every time a company caves or cancels due to fear. If you can't see that I don't think I'll be able to convince you but you never know.
I'm sorry, but have you read anything that I've posted in the post you're quoting from? Yes Fictional Russia has been used as inspiration in war related stories, as is evident by the fact that Nintendo themselves use it in the very game we're talking about. The point is, that it's probably not a good idea to release a family friendly game that is about a fictional Russia invading another country at the same time as the real Russia is currently invading another country and committing atrocities.

Trying to link this to "Cancel culture" is ridiculous. Releasing a game like this now can be considered in poor taste and probably not worth any potential backlash considering the image Nintendo will want to uphold. This game isn't even canceled: It's just delayed. This isn't out of the ordinary either: Nintendo has taken similar positions before with other games.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but have you read anything that I've posted in the post you're quoting from? Yes Fictional Russia has been used as inspiration in war related stories, as is evident by the fact that Nintendo themselves use it in the very game we're talking about. The point is, that it's probably not a good idea to release a family friendly game that is about a fictional Russia invading another country at the same time as the real Russia is currently invading another country and committing atrocities.

Trying to link this to "Cancel culture" is ridiculous. Releasing a game like this now can be considered in poor taste and probably not worth any potential backlash considering the image Nintendo will want to uphold. This game isn't even canceled: It's just delayed. This isn't out of the ordinary either: Nintendo has taken similar positions before with other games.

Why would a Fictional Russia invading another country and serving as the antagonists for a chunk of the game be considered poor taste, just because the real Russia invaded Ukraine? Also the Advanced Wars series has always had a cartoony take on war, that's not going to change or be any less poor in taste a year from now when the conflict in Ukraine is still raging. Is Nintendo going to wait until there is absolute world peace before releasing this game? We wouldn't want to face any potential backlash for releasing a playful war game!

Honestly the delay was rather silly and most unnecessary of virtue signaling

Rykan

Why would a Fictional Russia invading another country and serving as the antagonists for a chunk of the game be considered poor taste, just because the real Russia invaded Ukraine? Also the Advanced Wars series has always had a cartoony take on war, that's not going to change or be any less poor in taste a year from now when the conflict in Ukraine is still raging. Is Nintendo going to wait until there is absolute world peace before releasing this game? We wouldn't want to face any potential backlash for releasing a playful war game!

Honestly the delay was rather silly and most unnecessary of virtue signaling
The fact that you even need to ask this question speaks volumes.

The rest of your post has already been addressed several times. It's not about the fact that Advance Wars is a cartoony take on war, so that's why it can't launch or release during a real war. It's about the fact that it is very specifically about fictional Russia invading a neighboring country in a game in which portrays them as a provoked nation that had no choice but to invade. If you turn on the news every once in a while, that might sound familiar.

Top Bottom