• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Advance Wars |OT| What's an airport? (Wii U VC)

Jintor

War is dark. War is dirty. War is Hell. War is waged for logical, ethical, or religious reasons, with highly trained commanding officers taking charge of the lives of gritty, determined, and patriotic men. Take all of these concepts and reverse them, and you have the premise for Advance Wars. Wars World is, obviously, all about war, but there's no darkness or grit here; everything is bright and colorful, and armies are led by children, rednecks, Santa Claus, and aliens. War is waged for almost no reason at all, and soldiers die in family friendly, violence free explosions.

comic92.jpg

RiggyRob

I still own the cartridge and a DS lite, so not buying this one.

I'm not buying it on VC either, I ended up getting a Gameboy Micro and the game pretty recently (before GBA games for the Virtual Console were announced >_>).

Having never played the original (I only started with Black Hole Rising), it was weird playing against Olaf as the villain at the start of the game. I'm glad they changed his appearance in the sequels though.

Excellent OT!

I can't wait to play this game again. It's been quite a few years since I've had the pleasure, so it can't arrive soon enough.

(Sure would like a brand new Wii U or 3DS version, though.)

I choose to believe the arrival of advance wars as one of the first games is a sign of a sequel which will be announced at e3 for Wii U.

I want to believe.

massoluk

Banned
You know. Now that I think about it, I loved this game, but I don't think I ever finished that last level. I remembered it being insanity hard bull shit level.

Tobor

I love the levels with fixed units - you know that is enough to win the map, you just have to figure out how. Factories are ok but I prefer the more restricted levels

Ugh, I'm the exact opposite. I hate fixed unit missions. It feels so limiting. With factories I can build the units I want.

It's weird to see OT's for VC releases, btw. Feels like they should be LTTP threads.

oh the memories. I was in russia as a kid back then and I was begging my parents to go to electronic market to buy this. Even in a official store, I figured out that the game was a pirate copy as it wouldn't save.

Had to play the training over and over again because battery would die before I could heat up the campaign (yeah, letting the console on would suck battery) and it was only months later when dad brought the game back from europe, that I could enjoy all the awesome sauce

RiggyRob

Is this really worth getting for someone who's spent 200 hours on Advance Wars: Dark Conflict?

It's interesting to find out about the origins of Black Hole and Sturm, and the simplicity of the first game can be refreshing, but Advance Wars Dual Strike is by far the best Advance Wars game in the original "universe" so get that if you can.

So the CO names some of them are obvious puns. Andy as in Handy. Sami is a take on Semi as in semi-automatic. Eagle (bird) and Drake (male duck...which is also a bird :S).

The final mission in the game was so freaking hard. Even following walkthoughs was diffcult due the cpu doing something different to what was describe and then getting wiped out.
Most walkthroughs are a case of reset until the AI does this stupid thing that nets you victory (building a unit on the wrong factory etc) which makes it forced. That mission you can easily lose at the start or have a very drawn out battle. My range is like 8-60 turns on that map.

Having never played the original (I only started with Black Hole Rising), it was weird playing against Olaf as the villain at the start of the game. I'm glad they changed his appearance in the sequels though.
Part of it is a lot of the COs got changed appearances in the west to make the game a bit more serious. What was good is they researched military uniforms so the changes were appropriate though I feel with Sonja they went with a girl scout for the whole recon thing.

RiggyRob

Part of it is a lot of the COs got changed appearances in the west to make the game a bit more serious. What was good is they researched military uniforms so the changes were appropriate though I feel with Sonja they went with a girl scout for the whole recon thing.

Wait, so with Olaf they changed his hair from white to brown and then back to white again? What was the point? xD

I prefer most of those designs to the 'realistic' military ones, Kanbei's in particular is much more impressive.

RedShift

I don't have a Wii U but if you could all buy this so Nintendo know to make Advance Wars 3DS that'd be great.

Hopefully they release the second game as well, it's probably better.

sugarless

Wait, so with Olaf they changed his hair from white to brown and then back to white again? What was the point? xD

I prefer most of those designs to the 'realistic' military ones, Kanbei's in particular is much more impressive.

Kanbei's is more striking but overall I'd say it's a rare case of the Western adapted graphics being a lot better for the game.

javac

Great thread! Hyped to play this again after all these years. Always loved the visuals and character art/designs for this game. Really cool game.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Kanbei's is more striking but overall I'd say it's a rare case of the Western adapted graphics being a lot better for the game.

Totally agree, the localised costumes are much more appropriate for the game. They still have personality but they look like actual COs.

Anyway, the trailer in the OP looks nice and bright, not dim like most of the footage we've seen so far. Hopefully it's representative of what the game looks like on Wii U.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Isn't Days of Ruin the worst AW game? I know they went with a different look, which I personally didn't find appealing.

Duallusion

Finally, turn-based strategy on Wii U. Been waiting for something to play on a gamepad while glancing at TV since I've bought it on day one.

Boney

Banned
Isn't Days of Ruin the worst AW game? I know they went with a different look, which I personally didn't find appealing.
It's the best one though, reboots from the mess DS was and really master the mechanics.

DS is still great, I mean it's AW! But DoR is just so amazing

one_kill

I hope it'll look good on the Gamepad if not on the TV. This is one of my favourite games and a VC release opens up another chance for me to play it again.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Days of Ruin is the best game, it tidies up the mechanics and offers a much more strategic experience after the craziness of Dual Strike. It doesn't have the same charm as the earlier games but it's going for a different tone, it was a nice experiment.

It was making interesting changes to gameplay. I like the expensive infantry and promotion system to punish cheap unit meatshield spam. The CO powers felt a bit bland and still managed to be imbalanced and some of the new units seemed like a solution looking for a problem (in most situations 2 artillery were better than an anti-tank and seaplanes cost a bit much for their low fuel when you consider the carrier to build them).

If they had an advance campaign (complete with any CO select, maybe...though that kind of made dual strikes one easier than normal campaign) I'd have played it more. They made a decision to have no war room because "aint nobody got time to unlock things" yet had the closest things under the same principle.

Speaking of advance campaign. Advance Wars 1 is a complete nightmare in that mode. Rewarding, but you always feel very much against the odds.

Cheap bastards didn't even release it as the AW1 + AW2 combo... Yeah, not going to blow any money on this. I liked the darker take they did on DoR, too bad we won't likely see another sequel like that.

Draxal

Yeah that will work. Well that is unless your Netflix machine is Wii U.

They are? Two games on GBA. Two games on DS. We don't know what Intelligent Systems is working on so following this pattern what would be a logical project for them?

Series is pretty much dead, doesn't sell well in Nintendo's primary market (Japan). The second ds game never came out in Japan (well it did get a release last year as a Club Nintendo Plat Reward) after how bad the first ds game did.

Dual Strike was, the gameplay became bloated with double co-powers which were usually overkill.

Griss

I think it's actually the best in terms of gameplay. I loved Dual Strike, and the colourful designs are clearly superior, but Days of Ruin is a more balanced game with some awesome features.

Essentially, just removing the 'dual CO powers' from Dual Strike was always going to make the sequel better but CO units, far better air combat and the ability to zoom in were all damn good ideas. The only problem I had with days of ruin was that it was SO balanced that it was easier than ever to fall into a stalemate.

EDIT: Interesting seeing Days of Ruin get praised so highly in a thread filled with AW fans. Didn't know what the consensus was on it.

Akai__

OT looks great. I really hope, that this game (and other GBA games) are comming to the 3DS aswell. I don't see a reason, why they wouldn't.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's the best one though, reboots from the mess DS was and really master the mechanics.

DS is still great, I mean it's AW! But DoR is just so amazing

I wasn't happy with the DS AW title. I felt the GBA games were the best, but I'll have to check out Days of Ruin for 3DS. I see it's only $9 at Gamestop.

Bleep

Advance Wars could be such an amazing online multiplayer game. Someone tell me Nintendo are working on it. Please.

This site lets you play Advance Wars online in your browser: http://awbw.amarriner.com/ It's a play by email style game, where each player makes their moves and the screen will refresh with the changes. It's not as flashy as something like Pokemon Showdown, but it worked when I played games using it a couple of years ago.

Top Bottom