• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Advance Wars Remaster releases on 3 December

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yay, but ugh at those graphics. They look pretty bland and don't have the charm of the 2D sprites of the original games.

They should have used the anime tech that Arcsys uses in their Guilty Gear games and Dragonball FighterZ, but that is probably impossible to do.

I don't get mixing the Anime art-style of the Portraits to the Ugly 3D of the actual Gameplay.

Might have to try and relocate my 2nd Game which is lost somewhere.

It will sell by the bucket loads though because the Switch is popular right now.

Last edited:
Boner raging
I prefer the originals which I also both did beat back then. Remember the final battle against that black army was a nightmare. Definitely won't buy this.
But this trailer reminded me that I've never beaten Battle Isle and History Line on the Amiga. They're very similar albeit with hex-fields instead of squares.

wondermega

I'll say that a new actual Advance Wars.. in ANY form.. that's the 1st thing that's got me to sit up from my chair in E3 news this year. These graphics, sounds etc are all that horrid new-bland style which has been a hallmark of some Japanese development for years (like.. decades) since their much-superior 2D style fell out of fashion, but hey, that's just my taste I suppose. Anyway - Advance Wars is a classic wonderful, if forgotten series, and while I am disinterested in a remake personally, I am happy to see it on the release list and hoping for a success that would mean more novel development. Now just bring on an F-Zero and I am all set! Well.. maybe in 2031..

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I'm excited for this to launch but , at FULL PRICE they're out of their mind.

79.99$CAN for 2 remastered GBA games, oof that's one big pill to swallow

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

This is a clear cut example of an art style meaning everything to a game.
The GBA originals had that definitive Metal Slug cartoony exaggerated aesthetic. I still display the 1st GBA game on my game shelf - front and center - love that art style.
When you take that away its a big deal.
This remake looks like Fisher Price war toys - I couldnt be forced to look at this for an entire campaign.
It looks more like that crappy Gamecube Battalion Wars then Advance Wars.

ZywyPL

Banned
This game was truly special back in the days. Good to see ot revived, but with that new design all the units are missing their charm from those old days :/

It was nice seeing this franchise again.

But the new artstyle is ugly.
These used to looked like Cartoony war:
10-hard_campaign_01_-_arty01.gif

Now they look like weird toys straight from some mobile game.
The new ones are actual cartoons.

But I prefer the originals.

I'm so happy this series is getting revived. It's diappointing that we're dealing with remakes, but at least it's something.

I think the 2D artstyle looks pretty good. Especially those anime-esque poses the characters do when they use their skills. The 3D combat units and map however leave a lot to be desired. I think they could've done better there.

Looking forward to it anyway. The price tage pains me though. I would only buy this at full retail to support the franchise, because two old GBA games in 3D are not worth 60 bucks in my opinion.

Shifty1897

I am usually the first one to shout down bad art design. That's why I never played Tiny Metal when it released.

But this looks fine? Sure, it looks cartoony, but everything is well animated and nothing looks out of place to me.

Barakov

Gold Member
The new 3D models look....fine. But I definitely prefer the look of the sprites.
Yes

Boring Dark Souls wannabe. 2deep4me

Very basic Harvest Moon clone

*Remake
And it's two games.

God forbid Nintendo for charging $60 for their exclusive games.
But it's ok to ask for $70 dollars for a horribly done remake on the other platform.

Muh graphics. Muh pixel art.
No wonder Nintendo has stopped focusing on graphics and started to focus on gameplay above all.
Gameplay is what survives generations.
That Bluepoint Demon's Souls shade.
Frustrated World Cup GIF

mcjmetroid

I am usually the first one to shout down bad art design. That's why I never played Tiny Metal when it released.

But this looks fine? Sure, it looks cartoony, but everything is well animated and nothing looks out of place to me.
It's not that bad. I mean look it's the first 2 games in one package.

Is there ANY chance this will be online?

Tschumi

This is hot shit, it was the prime cut for my GBA back in the day, i held it above Golden Sun, errything

Porcile

Played and completed 1,2 and DS. They lost me with Days of Ruin though and DS was pushing it. Glad to see the two best games are back. I liked the graphics from what I saw. Sorry to say but for better or worse GBA style graphics have no place place in modern commercial game development. Even Nintendo who are masters of that art style know this. Let it go.

"amazing indie games" that have 1/10 of the fun

Agreed, the graphics are fine.
It's better to go full 3D than choose that disgusting "pixelated 3D" that Octopath Traveller uses.
Also, pixel art would have cheapened the visual quality even more.

Don't you go talking shit about Octopath Slimey! I will find you. I will.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I'm so happy that Advance Wars is back, but those character portraits look a little off. I can take the bland 3d graphics, but the faces don't look great to me personally.
I mean, they're not really bad, but compared to the originals.. :/

Anyway, bring back Battalion Wars next!

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Sorry for the double post, but I just read that this will be $60. I honestly expected it to be $30, $40 at the most. I shouldn't be shocked, but here I am.

Only Nintendo gets to be Nintendo, I guess.

Last edited:

lachesis

I was yelling out when I first heard the melody... but realized that it's a remake of 1 and 2.. Which I S-ranked every single campaign and scenario in those games.

Although I am not in love with, but I am okay and willing to stand by the new character art style and battle animations - because after seeing it a few times, I always skip those anyway, especially battle animations.

As long as overworld map where you plan your strategy/moves are clean and all, I'm okay with it

However lack of new content is little disappointing. Perhaps that "Re-Boot camp" has more original contents, challenges and maps? I certainly hope so.

I would most likely buy the game at full price... but the whole content of "Re-Boot camp" is the big factor for me. Probably wait for a few reviews or previews at least.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
In every E3 of the last 12 years I was expecting a new Advance Wars.

Well, the series isn't dead, but remakes?! C'mon, I want NEW games. :/

At least the visuals are good.
Nintendo has effectively monetized their consumer research. Want a new Advance Wars game? prove it by buying these old ones again.

I'll be buying it :messenger_grinning_smiling:

00_Zer0

Way Forward is developing this. Their track record is spotty when using 3D graphics. I'm not impressed with the 3D graphics shown in this game. I wish they used the original Nintendo artwork for using in game 2D assets. The cartoony 2D art style with a lot of animation (like Shantae), would have been better suited for this game.

In comparison, Dotemu is doing Metal Slug Tactics with sprite work the right way. The story graphics unfolds like a real cartoon based on Japanese artwork/cover art and concept art, but gameplay is based on the sprite work we all know and love. Too bad Advance Wars looks like a cheap imatation of the GBA games. Maybe it will get better before release. After all Way Forward helped touch up Bloodstained before release, and it looked so much better than earlier builds of the game after the game was finished.

Last edited:

scydrex

Why do they always turn great looking artstyles into these shitty mobile game 3d ones?

Also:

Are you fucking kidding me?!

I bet Metroid will be 60 too. The sheer arrogance. Compare that to amazing indie games that cost way less.

Mmm nope! To much for me. I played the originals and then a couple of years later again on emu. Not a proper remake.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Gross art style, gross price. I would honestly rather get a copy of the original game, an original GBA, and settle directly under a 500 watt bulb to enjoy.

Top Bottom