• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Games Thread 2020 - Get To The POINT Where It All CLICKS

Played through Tell Me Why and I actually really liked it. My initial skepticism did somewhat subside over time, pre-release, but I still had low hopes considering how much I disliked Life is Strange 2. The marketing in the run up to this game did it no favors for people fearing this would be another cringe worthy disaster with a different minority group as the focus. So I'm happy to report that's not the case, Tell Me Why handles the trans issue with relative grace and focuses primarily on a combination of human drama and paranormal mystery. The winning combination that made Life is Strange 1 a success.

The game focuses on Tyler and Alyson Ronan, twin siblings that were separated for 10 years after Tyler murdered his mother in self defense on a night shrouded in pain, mystery and repressed memories. You learn a lot about Tyler & Alyson through DontNod's knack for detailed environmental story telling. Each environment is stuffed to the gills with personal detail that reveals more and more of the twins past and personalities. They're both quite likable and I especially liked Tyler. He's a bit of a dick, prone to pranks and occasional bursts of anger but he's also genuinely funny and I appreciate that DontNod resisted to urge to make him some flawless Mary Sue.

v9nrPqy.png

Like in Life is Strange 2 you do run into people insensitive to Tyler's gender identity. But unlike Life is Strange 2 they're not universally bigoted caricatures. They're real flawed people with their own backgrounds, issues and biases and the game can manage showing a sympathetic side to even the most crass characters.

Despite the exploration and observational lines being very well executed Tell Me Why leans a bit too heavily into them, especially in the first half. The game could have used more puzzles and narrative choices to vary up the pace. But hey, at least there are puzzles to speak of. Not very many (like 4 or 5 in a 3 hour episode) and they're not brain benders by any stretch but, in stark contrast to LiS2, they do exist and they're a welcome inclusion. They could stand to be more creative, though. I think it might be time for DontNod to officially retire the "search through personal info for a computer password" bit.

gVPUCtO.png

Without spoiling anything the first episode of Tell Me Why sets up an intimate and compelling mystery story. There's a good reveal at the end that was deftly foreshadowed and I'm curious to know more. Tyler and Alyson are a likable duo and IMO Tyler stands as an example of a trans character done right. He's not defined solely by his gender identity but rather it's an interesting wrinkle that adds depth to the scenario and his overall characterization.

I didn't think DontNod would pull it off but so far it's looking good. I hope it stays that way for episodes 2 & 3.

Tell Me Why continues to be very good. Episode 2's ending doesn't have quite the same punch as the first but it still delivers some good surprises and intriguing mysteries to mull over. The puzzles ramp up a fair bit in this episode. Again, nothing that will throw adventure veterans for a loop but some are fairly clever and expand on the narrative in interesting ways.

Unfortunately there is a significant misstep in this episode, imo. A very forced romance sub plot (the romantic interest has had very little screen time up until that point/there's 0 chemistry as well). Worse still in a game that's so avoided feeling like checklist diversity, this sub plot feels like exactly that. Thankfully, you can opt not to pursue it further and it's far from the main thrust of the episode.

That gripe aside Im still very much enjoying Tell Me Why and am very interested to find out how it concludes next week.

A few details emerging on Twitter regarding the newly announced Wadjet Eye game, "Old Skies." A twitter thread from Dave Gilbert about the game's visual style with an updated look at how the visuals are progressing. Generally, I'm liking the look of the game. I love the color palette and painting syle of the background and the character art looks good too. Some rough edges i'd like ironed out but nice nonetheless.

Eg_ShBqVkAATQt_

Also, here is a very interesting looking game I stumbled upon called "Coven." It's a dark fantasy game about a woman who is hunted by a mad king after being falsely accused as a witch. I really like the look of the game and thing there's good potential for magic/spell based puzzles. Looking forward to seeing more from Haunted Lantern Games. Coming in 2021.

ZcxddL5l.png

OgIdRthl.png

amjH0Xsl.png

4vrIEx6l.png

The Story:
THE YEAR IS 1666, it is an age of darkness. The King is insane, and his madness has deepened into an obsession with Witches. Accusations of Devil Woship require no evidence of guilt. The structure of law and order has collapsed, plunging England into its darkest period. One of the King’s first edicts is to repeal the laws on Witchcraft, and replace them with much harsher statutes. Most of the accused are women: outcasts, widows, the poor, and the elderly…

As a young orphan girl, you’ve always had a gift. An occult power which you’ve managed to keep a secret for all of your life. After being falsely accused of Witchcraft and sentenced to death, an unthinkable act of desperation sets you free again, but your life as you knew it is over. Hunted by the King’s henchmen, your only chance of escape is to learn to embrace your gift to survive as you set off on a perilous journey across a dangerous and hostile landscape, searching for a new home.

Features:
– A mature fairy tale with adult themes and dark subject-matter.
– Detailed animations and cinematic visual effects, with 640×360 graphics resolution.
– An epic musical score and dynamic sound effects.
– Characters fully voiced by professional actors.
– Over 100 different locations to discover, illustrated and brought to life with animated effects.
– Gestural spell working, draw runes and sigils directly on screen with your PC’s mouse to cast spells.
– Traditional adventure game play with a twist, based on Witchcraft and European folklore.

Narrated gameplay trailer for The Signifier. The dev goes over some of the mechanics and we get a look at the different worlds made of reconstructed memories. The subjective memory worlds look really cool, sort of like an abstract painting. And I'm glad to see that they're putting some genuine thought into the mechanics.

This is a game I'll be watching more closely from this point on.

Cool news. This should help Strangeland get some press/attention it wouldn't have otherwise. Can't wait to play it because the world Wormwood has made looks so fascinating.

Anna2FOR2

Neo Member
I am sorry, to comment sort of off-topic like this, but this is the best way I can think of to reach you.
I am a game developer and I would like to show you an adventure quest that my husband and I are making. What would be the best way to go about contacting you?
This is our game KAPIA.

We are heading to the Kickstarter September 15th and I have a genuine urge to scream about it to the whole world.
Please tell me if and or how KAPIA can make it into your wonderful lists.

Best regards, Anna
www.kapiagame.com

Fuz

Banned
I am sorry, to comment sort of off-topic like this, but this is the best way I can think of to reach you.
I am a game developer and I would like to show you an adventure quest that my husband and I are making. What would be the best way to go about contacting you?
This is our game KAPIA.

We are heading to the Kickstarter September 15th and I have a genuine urge to scream about it to the whole world.

Best regards, Anna
www.kapiagame.com

Welcome on board!
Glad to have more adventure developers here!

Your game looks pretty cool, love the art style, I'll keep it on my radar.
Best of wishes!

Last edited:
This is our game KAPIA.

Best regards, Anna
www.kapiagame.com

This way is totally fine for getting in touch. I've actually seen your game around and it's one I was already planning to include. We do an annual thread with a list of adventures slated for release that year. So you can consider yourself added for whenever you guys plan to release.

Also, feel free to promote your crowdfund campaign and talk about the game here. What I've seen of KAPIA is very unique and charming, I hope it's a success.

Finished playing the third and final episode of Tell Me Why and enjoyed the conclusion. It's DontNod's most grounded and personal mystery thus far and never reaches the nail-biting highs of Life Is Strange's most intense moments, but there's still a lot to be said for the subtle satisfaction of Tyler and Alyson's journey. DontNod show themselves to be nearly CiNG like in their ability to render moments of earnest, small stakes, humanity. Particularly in the case of Sam Kansky, my favorite side character in the game. His struggle as a traditional man out of step with current times -- both in terms of society and his personal life -- is portrayed so multi dimensionally and with such empathy that I can hardly believe this is the same studio that produced Life is Strange 2. Even chance encounters with one off NPCs (as is the case with the woman at the cemetary) can be compelling. Which isn't to say any of it is perfect, but it's a genuine shock how improved the character writing is over their last outing.

Some stumbles do come about with a painfully forced romance subplot. The "connection" is beyond rushed and there's no chemistry between the characters. It comes off like a vein attempt to recapture the surprise popularity of Max & Chloe's optional romance route in LiS. Worse still, these scenes (thankfully only two) have a fair amount of didactic LGBTQ messaging. It's (again, thankfully) mostly optional dialogue and wasn't anywhere near as bad as anything from LiS 2, but it was still disappointing to see DontNod dip its toe into this preachy style of writing. Especially after showing themselves capable of better for 90% of the game.

PwYuznI.png

Gameplay wise Tell Me Why doesn't stray too far from the typical adventure game formula. Exploration, character interaction, puzzles, narrative choices and the occasional mini game are what you can expect. Tell Me Why is probably the best example yet of DontNod's now established penchant for detail-oriented exploration. Environments feel lived in, genuinely capturing the essence of their inhabitants, full of personal detail to pour over and absorb. Many of the puzzles, while on the easy side, are more involved than you'd think. Most of them use a book of Tyler & Alyson's childhood stories as riddles and there are some decent detective style sections as well. You discover more about the characters through solving them in a way that reminded me of Dave Gilbert's The Shivah.

There aren't many "in your face" dramatic choices in Tell Me Why. Certainly nothing like the anxiety inducing life and death scenarios of, say, The Walking Dead. Most of the branching comes in the form of Tyler and Alyson's conflicting memories. The unreliability of memory being a central theme of the game, you often are presented with two versions of past events and must choose which one to believe. The choices can either strengthen or weaken the bond between Tyler and Alyson which can effect the ending you get. IMO it's enough of a difference to feel like choices matter. Especially since the dynamic between the twins is such a big part of the game.

s5D8L2s.png

Tell Me Why is a game that I was pretty nervous about. I went into it fully expecting to be disappointed. I'm really happy that my expectations were proven wrong. Tell Me Why doesn't reach the heights of Life Is Strange for me, but it does more than enough to restore my faith in this developer after being utterly disappointed by Life is Strange 2. It's a compelling personal mystery that is not without some faults, but has more than enough charms to make up for them. If you're like me and were ready to write this game off, consider giving it a shot. You might find yourself pleasantly surprised like I did.

8/10

Anna2FOR2

Neo Member
This way is totally fine for getting in touch. I've actually seen your game around and it's one I was already planning to include. We do an annual thread with a list of adventures slated for release that year. So you can consider yourself added for whenever you guys plan to release.

Also, feel free to promote your crowdfund campaign and talk about the game here. What I've seen of KAPIA is very unique and charming, I hope it's a success.

Thank you so very much for adding our KAPIA to your wonderful lists! I really appreciate your kind words about our game, we've worked really hard for four years and it is absolutely amazing to see our work appreciated like this. :)
I will try not to be most discrete about self-promotion, but I can't ignore this offer. XD

Anna2FOR2

Neo Member
KAPIA Kickstarter starts in 3 days. SIGN UP TO SUPPORT HERE
To celebrate this last Saturday before the launch, I have a new jaw-dropping video to share.

Story:

The World Union has collapsed, the nations are divided into coalitions "East" and "West," a mysterious intelligent infection is forcing people to live under city lockdown. This is the world that needs saving–the world of KAPIA.

Amidst the chaos, Stefan, a retired pilot and a strong-willed grandfather, takes on the responsibility of ending the conflict. Little does he know his most powerful ally will be his little granddaughter, Reny.

Links:
Kickstarter
DEMO AVAILABLE Itch.io https://2for2.itch.io/kapia
Steam
Website https://www.kapiagame.com/
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/KAPIAgame
Twitter https://www.twitter.com/AnnaMimik
Discord https://discord.gg/qwFT3Nn

Fuz

Banned
Tried the demo.
I like it! Interesting setting, lovable characters with a cute art style, nice musics and I really like the interface - simple but effective. I'd rather use a click to take the item from the inventory and a second click to use it than drag it around, toh.
Stopped playing at the helmet puzzle. After a dozen or so tries I'm not sure if I'm missing something or that blue robot is just supposed to be that annoying and I need to time movements better. Hope I'm missing some clue 'cause it's really annoying and it's what made me stop playing and go to bed (maybe it's a good thing...).
Had a little bug where Renni's inventory stayed open. No big deal toh.
Small pet peeve: would be nice to rebind keys. Tab for hotspots is not super comfortable.

I like what I saw. Really interested in the final game now. GOG please!

Anna2FOR2

Neo Member
Tried the demo.
I like it! Interesting setting, lovable characters with a cute art style, nice musics and I really like the interface - simple but effective. I'd rather use a click to take the item from the inventory and a second click to use it than drag it around, toh.
Stopped playing at the helmet puzzle. After a dozen or so tries I'm not sure if I'm missing something or that blue robot is just supposed to be that annoying and I need to time movements better. Hope I'm missing some clue 'cause it's really annoying and it's what made me stop playing and go to bed (maybe it's a good thing...).
Had a little bug where Renni's inventory stayed open. No big deal toh.
Small pet peeve: would be nice to rebind keys. Tab for hotspots is not super comfortable.

I like what I saw. Really interested in the final game now. GOG please!

Thank you very much for trying the demo! I am very happy that you are liking it so far. :) There is more to come.

The click and drop vs click and apply settings are changeable in the menu.
Will look into Tab more, thank you for the feedback.

I will start with clues, there are 3 of them for this puzzle depending on where you are at in the game.
1. A yellow note on the desk
2. Reny's notebook with a vacuum cleaner strategy plan. It is a graphic representation of what needs to be done.
3. White cross on the floor.

Also, sometimes people are missing a planter. It distracts the vacuum between you tap it.

FURTHER COMES A SPOILER
1. Lock the door
2. Puton the helmet
3.tap a planter
4. Stand on the white cross
5. Connect to Robbi
6. Send Robbi to use the computer

Fuz

Banned
Thank you very much for trying the demo! I am very happy that you are liking it so far. :) There is more to come.

The click and drop vs click and apply settings are changeable in the menu.
Will look into Tab more, thank you for the feedback.

I will start with clues, there are 3 of them for this puzzle depending on where you are at in the game.
1. A yellow note on the desk
2. Reny's notebook with a vacuum cleaner strategy plan. It is a graphic representation of what needs to be done.
3. White cross on the floor.

Also, sometimes people are missing a planter. It distracts the vacuum between you tap it.

FURTHER COMES A SPOILER
1. Lock the door
2. Puton the helmet
3.tap a planter
4. Stand on the white cross
5. Connect to Robbi
6. Send Robbi to use the computer
Yeah it was the planter. I feel stupid now, thank you :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Anna2FOR2

Neo Member
Yeah it was the planter. I feel stupid now, thank you :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I should make a better picture of it on the Reny's plan. I think, I overdid it a little making it look like a kids drawing. 😆
Make sure to let me know if you need more help or feedback! We always listen and try to improve.

Fuz

Banned
I should make a better picture of it on the Reny's plan. I think, I overdid it a little making it look like a kids drawing. 😆
Make sure to let me know if you need more help or feedback! We always listen and try to improve.
I think it's ok as it is, actually a good puzzle. I did notice the planter dropped some earth when I touched it, but I didn't make the connection. It also was 2 am. Don't make it too easy :messenger_winking_tongue:
I'm switching house for some days, not sure when I'll be able to play it some more, but I'll give you more feedback as soon as I'm able to finish it. Keep in mind that I'm the grumpy one here and I rant a lot!

Oh, forgot to mention it, I quite like the voice actors so far.

Anna2FOR2

Neo Member
I think it's ok as it is, actually a good puzzle. I did notice the planter dropped some earth when I touched it, but I didn't make the connection. It also was 2 am. Don't make it too easy :messenger_winking_tongue:
I'm switching house for some days, not sure when I'll be able to play it some more, but I'll give you more feedback as soon as I'm able to finish it. Keep in mind that I'm the grumpy one here and I rant a lot!

Oh, forgot to mention it, I quite like the voice actors so far.

If you are a grumpy one, I feel safe because judging from your comments, you seem very nice and reasonable :)

Whenever you have time would be great! :) I am also going to leave a discord invitation for you, in case it is your thing or and you feel like chatting.
Discord https://discord.gg/qwFT3Nn

Anna2FOR2

Neo Member
After four years in development, our point&click adventure KAPIA is now live on Kickstarter.
If you like what my husband and I have created, please come support our project.

Cg46eli.gif

KAPIA is a story-driven point-and-click adventure executed in a classical style of 3D quests from the mid-2000s.
Stefan, a retired pilot and a strong-willed grandfather, takes on the responsibility of solving the mystery of a global lockdown. Little does he know his most powerful ally will be his little granddaughter, Reny.

DJT123

I think im going to do a playthrough of broken sword 1 soon. Apparently ive heard that the director's cut is a bad version to play, it cuts out lots of important content, anybody have a take on that?
I played the directors cut. It's great, imo. There's a couple time consuming puzzles in the beginning playing as Nicole, but I found the hotspot hints welcome and unobtrusive.

I think im going to do a playthrough of broken sword 1 soon. Apparently ive heard that the director's cut is a bad version to play, it cuts out lots of important content, anybody have a take on that?

I prefer the original because the director's cut changes the classic "Paris in the fall..." intro. It's mostly the same game, though so either one is fine. The DC adds some playable Nico segments, character portraits and makes a few other changes. IIRC think they reworked the infamous goat puzzles as well.

Twin Mirror release announced for December 1st. New gameplay trailer shows off some of the mystery solving elements of the game.

Also, timed demos for Crowns & Pawns/Rosewater are currently available. I enjoyed both of them, especially Crowns & Pawns.

Hi guys,

anybody of you ever heard of Moon: Remix RPG Adventure?

Apparently some mix of (Anti-)RPG and a lot of Point’n’Click adventure from the “good ole days”. Definitely looks intriguing:

Alas it‘s not a PC game (yet?) and I just bought it for my Switch a few days ago. The game originally is from 1997 (when it was first released for PS1) and basically every reviewer I saw sings high praises of it. Apparently it is pretty oldschool in the regard that it doesn’t hold your hands (Can‘t remember the last time the game devs encouraged players to read the games manual - even with the remake)

Anyway, aside from flying under most radars and the great reviews from the few people who‘ve discovered the title or have always wanted to play it, it really looks darn interesting, complex and rich in variety.

The game’s title has RPG and adventure in it but from what I‘ve gleaned it‘s something like an ”Anti-RPG” (= no fighting, have to plan your routes, actions, conversations very carefully etc) with a lot of PnC adventure mechanis..

Anyway, alas haven’t come around to play it yet as it seems to be about two dozen hours long (at least if you want to experience most of its puzzles, conversations etc) and I want to have enough time to dive into it ... But imo it looks very interesting.

Also, most of the visuals didn’t even have to be updated a lot from the 1997 original version which still looks pretty neat. The 90s will probably always be the best adventure game decade for me and I hope this is one of those previously hidden gems (maybe similar to Toonstruck) that most people, including myself, have overlooked so far. Definitely looking forward to finding some time finally being able to give the game a thorough shot.

And I also thought especially Fuz Fuz - just hoping he’s got access to a Switch - could be interested in this too as a probably much bigger old school buff than myself ;)

Last edited:
Don't have a Switch, I don't console. :goog_tongue:
Not even sure it's my cup of tea, honestly.

Oh, my bad. You once asked about Playstation PnC games for a buddy a year back or so, that’s why I thought maybe you sometimes dive into console stuff as well. Especially as the Switch - as the Point‘n‘Click reviving console number 1 (guess thanks to its touchscreen) - is a bit different to most other gaming devices.

Anyway, not sure Moon‘s going to be my cup of tea either but as good as every reviewer I‘ve heard so far has fallen in love with the game after a slow start. It apparently has lots of puzzles and all the reviews said it was an extremely unique experience unlike anything else they‘ve played before.

All in all that sounds pretty interesting imo and as I‘ve gotten to know you to have a very specific, unique taste yourself, thought it might be something for you as well :lollipop_smirking:

Sorry my bad, maybe if it should come out for Pc one of these days.

P. S.: Despite your apparent stance against it, I hope you at least console your loved ones when they are feeling down :lollipop_wink_tongue:

Reactions: Fuz
Recently Dave Gilbert shared a few more (WIP) Old Skies screens on twitter.

EiSAS_VXkAUfRj_

EiSAS_VXsAc5U-0

EiSAS_WWsAEOxPk

EiSAS_UXYAU32SQ

He also posted this small animation of the scientist at the bench eating. The first indication of what kind of character motion we can expect from the game.

p0jHOiY.gif

I think the figures could use a little cleaning up in certain areas but for the most part It's looking quite nice. Hoping for another great Wadjet Eye title.

Where's my pixel art gone :(

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Recently Dave Gilbert shared a few more (WIP) Old Skies screens on twitter.

EiSAS_VXkAUfRj_

EiSAS_VXsAc5U-0

EiSAS_WWsAEOxPk

EiSAS_UXYAU32SQ

He also posted this small animation of the scientist at the bench eating. The first indication of what kind of character motion we can expect from the game.

p0jHOiY.gif

I think the figures could use a little cleaning up in certain areas but for the most part It's looking quite nice. Hoping for another great Wadjet Eye title.

How can he eat when he has no mouth?

Are Artifex Mundi's games worth playing? Bunch of them are on sale on Switch.
I agree with ViT about Irony Curtain. That’s by far the best Artifex Mundi title, different from most of the stuff they usually did/do.

But that‘s pretty much their only game really worth playing. Played a lot of their PnC games on mobile and they are all the same mix of easy puzzles and hidden object stuff with mostly not too memorable stories tucked onto it.

CitizenX

Banned
Are Artifex Mundi's games worth playing? Bunch of them are on sale on Switch.

Probably one of the best HoG publishers out there, if not the best. The art work is always pretty amazing and if you like B movies, the voice acting will leave you laughing.

Fuz

Banned
Oh, my bad. You once asked about Playstation PnC games for a buddy a year back or so, that’s why I thought maybe you sometimes dive into console stuff as well. Especially as the Switch - as the Point‘n‘Click reviving console number 1 (guess thanks to its touchscreen) - is a bit different to most other gaming devices.

Anyway, not sure Moon‘s going to be my cup of tea either but as good as every reviewer I‘ve heard so far has fallen in love with the game after a slow start. It apparently has lots of puzzles and all the reviews said it was an extremely unique experience unlike anything else they‘ve played before.

All in all that sounds pretty interesting imo and as I‘ve gotten to know you to have a very specific, unique taste yourself, thought it might be something for you as well :lollipop_smirking:

Sorry my bad, maybe if it should come out for Pc one of these days.
You know what, you're making it sound interesting.
Might give it a try if it comes to PC.
P. S.: Despite your apparent stance against it, I hope you at least console your loved ones when they are feeling down :lollipop_wink_tongue:
NEVER. I DO NOT CONSOLE.

Last edited:
Top Bottom