• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Games Thread 2020 - Get To The POINT Where It All CLICKS

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Re Larry - I've only played 1 and 2. The first was a good time - very much of its time but I liked it. One thing that helped is that the shit graphics helped with the age-old pixel-hunting problem because actually everything has to be really clear as to what it is. For some reason #2 just didn't click. I'm planning to play #3 at some point, likely when I get to it on my ST Format Challenge. The remake of 1 is pretty, but the graphics are too cluttered and busy, it loses something.

Reactions: Fuz
Wanted to mention the poll for best adventure of 2020 again. If you've got an adventure game you liked in particular this year and a free second to spare.

I was also thinking that someone in the thread could volunteer to do a writeup if their chosen game wins. Not sure if anyone would be interested and I have no problem doing it myself but it could be cool to see another perspective reflected in the OT.

This is so damn typical with Japanese character writing.

The second I read this I had a flashback to the scene in Ace Attorney when Phoenix confronts Redd White (of Bluecorp.) by letting him know he has smoking gun evidence against him a day before trial... for literally no reason. Only to get immediately knocked out and have his evidence stolen lol.

IIRC stuff like that happens repeatedly throughout the trilogy lol (still amazing games though, ofc).

Fuz

Banned
The second I read this I had a flashback to the scene in Ace Attorney when Phoenix confronts Redd White (of Bluecorp.) by letting him know he has smoking gun evidence against him a day before trial... for literally no reason. Only to get immediately knocked out and have his evidence stolen lol.

IIRC stuff like that happens repeatedly throughout the trilogy lol (still amazing games though, ofc).
Yep, Ace Attorney series is probably one of the worst offenders. They're great games but man, they are rage inducing sometimes.
The player is always some (often many) steps ahead of the character, which is jarring and frustrating. Not sure why it happens so often in JP games.

Twin Mirror launches today. Two games in one year, a first for DontNod. I was pleasantly surprised with Tell Me Why so I'm hoping Twin Mirror winds up good as well.

Last edited:
Also, I just finished playing through Zniw Adventure! Which I'm happy to say was an absolute blast all the way through. Everything I said in my previous post remains true. It's a simple story with some really fun characters and amazing visuals that is exceptionally well crafted. The ending was very satisfying, and moreover extremely wholesome in a way that honestly brightened my day. In a smilar way to how a good Pixar or Disney film feels when its over.

The only issues I could really bring up are relatively minor. Zniw only moves when you click on certain clickable ground. Unlike most P&C protagonists who usually move where they can so long as you've given them a general direction. It makes navigation feel somewhat clunky on occasion but is generally not an issue. The other problem I had was Zniw Adventure's use of limited inventory. Not the biggest deal but I just don't feel like making me occasionally backtrack for items I dropped 3 screens over added anything to the game. As the game progresses you do get bigger & bigger backpacks, though.

In any case, love the game, love that such an awesome game was made by (mostly) two people and I can only hope they're not too burned out from 5 years on Zniw to consider making another great game like this. 9/10

TrpZQMd.png
LmezET3.png

Thanks for the tip, agree that Zniw is a great PnC game. I‘m not all the way through yet (would estimate 1/2 - 2/3s completed) but the story seems great so far with quirky and amusing characters all around plus appealing visuals. Puzzle difficulty is balanced, the Extras section with the pebbles a nice idea.

Same as you I‘ve also only got some minor criticism, mainly with the machanics. Would love a fast travel mechanism, both with exiting screens (double-click) and with the mini map as you walk around quite a lot. Also the design choice with the limited backpack space and having to drop and later pick up items because your inventory is full adds to the wandering around and wasn‘t really necessary.

Hotspot-Function would have been great too (aside for the pebbles ofc) as I had some cases of pixel hunting which usually should be a problem of the past.

Voice-overs would always be nice of course, on the other hand I don’t really miss that with Zniw. Somehow it adds to the old school vibe. Also, I‘m aware that voice-over work is one of the most expensive and extensive parts of adventure/game development and pretty hard to afford for a (mostly) two man team.

The encyclopedia is also a pretty cool idea. Have always always been interested in Dinosaurs from a young age on and mixing historic facts with funny infos about in game characters, inventory items etc. is a nice little extra feature.

All in all, great little gem and definitely recommended for fans of classic PnC adventures.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
No puzzle difficulty at all. There was a single puzzle which had me going for about a minute but that was pretty much it.

I'm native romanian and didn't like Gibbous that much either. It's not a bad game either, nice atmosphere and voice acting but everything else not that great. The references and the rap thing were annoying as hell. I still think the classic point and click genre needs to evolve, something like Unavowed + Disco Elysium with some tough but fair puzzles. Enough with the nostalgic non stop references to classics.

Fuz

Banned
No puzzle difficulty at all. There was a single puzzle which had me going for about a minute but that was pretty much it.
Yeah, this is true. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it quite a lot.
Any good way to replay Quest for Glory series these days ? I had an itch to play the VGA remake of the original recently.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it's so much more subdued than it should be. I love how the game looks but I hope someone mods the old voice back in.
Not just that - it’s such a black stereotype. They’ve taken something not racist and turned it racist.

Sam & Max remaster launched today. Time to see what they've done to my boy.

The new Bosco voice is terrible. Really really bad.

Hope they‘ll remaster the other two parts. Season 1 of the Telltale Sam‘n‘Max games (back when Telltale still was a PnC-adventure dev) was the weakest imo and it got better with each part. Would be great if there‘ll be remakes of Beyond Space and Time and especially The Devil‘s Playhouse one of these days.

Guess that mostly depends on the sales figures of Save The World though.

So I played through Twin Mirror and it's fucking awful. One of the most underwhelming mystery adventure games I've ever had the displeasure of playing through. The entire game is like 5 hours long, once the mystery actually picks up pace, it's over within 3 scenes. You almost literally follow one lead right to the final confrontation and the culprit is embarrassingly obvious from the very start. Absolutely reeks of being half finished.

Despite the utter lack of build-up the game still tries to pull these momentous and dramatic character moments right out of its ass. All of them fall flat of course. The worst of which being a "grand" confrontation between Sam and his alter ego, The Double, inside of Sam's mind palace. Where it's heavily implied, but for reasons unknown never said outright, that Sam is autistic. Which is really dumb because aside from sometimes getting lost in thought Sam never does anything that would lead you to believe he's autistic. Unless I just missed all those choices. Regardless, the confrontation culminates to a binary choice between being a sociable person and caring about objective truth/facts. Which isn't enough of an inherent dichotomy to make sense as an "either/or." Let alone the fact that it's incredibly stupid to write a story where someone just chooses not to be autistic anymore. Also, the odd disdain for the notion of objective truth in this scene feels like it's fueled by woke thinking.

LpMwQUX.png
S1tdHMn.png

One of the only things Twin Mirror has going for it are the cool investigation puzzles. You gather clues then run through a scenario in your head, swapping variables at multiple points throughout the "simulation" to create a viable hypothesis. Or, they're at least cool in theory because these puzzles can only be but so satisfying when in service of such an unsatisfying mystery. Plus there's also only 3 (that's right, 3!) of these in the entire game. The rest of gameplay feels like rote filler. DontNod returning to the well of scouring through someone's personal effects to uncover a passcode or the riddle to a simple logic puzzle.

The only unqualified strength Twin Mirror has would be the environment art. It's an incredibly gorgeous game at times. Not that it gets too much of a chance to display that with the limited variety of areas, but still credit where it's due. The character models don't fare quite as well. They're fine to look at but when it comes time to show some emotion, or even semi decent lip sync, things begin to fall apart. Which is a real kick to the nuts for a game that is hoping against hope for you to be emotionally invested in its characters. DontNod has always struggled with the facial animation in their games but this is actually a step back from Tell Me Why, which was still far from perfect, but showed significant improvement.

Overall Twin Mirror would easily be DontNod's worst game if Life is Strange 2 wasn't such an overly long slow motion car wreck. Twin Mirror might be even more incompetently put together, but it at least has the common decency to be over with quickly. DontNod lost me with this game. If, in the future, they make something that gets overwhelmingly positive reaction I'll tune back in. But I'm not following them game to game anymore. Their record is just too spotty at this point and I'm not dealing with another experience like this. Even after being pleasantly surprised by Tell Me Why. This game is a fucking mess. Worst adventure I've played in quite some time.

4/10

TripleSun

Wow just found out that the Sam & Max remaster disaster gets even better. They apparently "tweaked" loads of original jokes because they felt "uncomfortable" allowing them into a game in 2020. Gotta love how the modern gaming world is so fragile and scared of some harmless jokes. I even looked at the jokes and they aren't edgy or anything. Absolutely disgusting. Won't catch me buying this garbage.

Futaleufu

Nikopol has to be one of the weirdest games I've ever played, then I found out it's sequel to a even weirder movie.

Wow just found out that the Sam & Max remaster disaster gets even better. They apparently "tweaked" loads of original jokes because they felt "uncomfortable" allowing them into a game in 2020. Gotta love how the modern gaming world is so fragile and scared of some harmless jokes. I even looked at the jokes and they aren't edgy or anything. Absolutely disgusting. Won't catch me buying this garbage.

I agree with this 100%. Actually censoring and cutting content is way too much for me to consider supporting it.

This also says very troubling things for the state of potential Sam & Max games going forward. If this is an indication of the kind of mentality they'll be making a new game with then the series is fucked.

Call of The Sea is out today and it's getting some good reviews. Like this one from IGN, who gave it a 9/10. I was also pleased to see the puzzle solving getting singled out for praise:
IGN Review said:
An adventure game is only as good as its puzzles, though, and in this regard Call of the Sea excels. As much as its story and aesthetic influences are clear to see, its gameplay is firmly rooted in classics such as the Myst series. Each chapter tends to have one large puzzle to solve in order to move onto the next area, and it’s surrounded by numerous smaller problems to solve in order to find the main solution.

While I don't fully subscribe to the premise that "an adventure game is only as good as its puzzles" it's nice to see an adventure game with visuals this polished, and backing from a big company like MS, not taking the puzzle-lite route. If only for the fact that it's become the default of the big(er) budget releases. Really looking forward to playing this one and I hope Out Of The Blue find success with it.

Would be nice to end the year on a high after the dual disappointments of Twin Mirror and all the mishandled aspects of the Sam & Max Save The World remaster.

More Old Skies sneak peak stuff:

talky2.gif

suitchange2.gif

I was just thinking, after looking at these gifs, that it's kinda funny that Wadjet Eye is known for their Sci-Fi games but this is actually Dave Gilbert's first time stepping outside of urban fantasy. It'll be interesting to see what kinda future tech he imagines/where he goes with it in general.

llien

Dear GAFers,

I'm about to start playing the last (4th) of the Deponia series on switch, together with my 7 y.o. son and we both enjoy it very much.

What would you recommend to check out, once we have finished it?
Switch is the preferred platform, but PS3, PS4 and PC are also no stoppers.

bravoguy

Despite the hate I actually want to try Twin Mirror but unable to find a physical copy for PS4.
Is this game is Digital only ?

Dunki

Dear GAFers,

I'm about to start playing the last (4th) of the Deponia series on switch, together with my 7 y.o. son and we both enjoy it very much.

Let me tell you that Depoinia is not really for kids. There is a ton of Dark humor in it. #

From killing Dolphins, to sending children into a trailer of a pedohile, to selling black people into slavery just to name some of it. Rufus is an absolute asshole :p

As for Kid friendly Adventures: Monkey Island of Course. Book of Unwritten Tales is great too for kids^^

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Let me tell you that Depoinia is not really for kids. There is a ton of Dark humor in it. #

From killing Dolphins, to sending children into a trailer of a pedohile, to selling black people into slavery just to name some of it. Rufus is an absolute asshole :p

As for Kid friendly Adventures: Monkey Island of Course. Book of Unwritten Tales is great too for kids^^

Dark humor is fine for kids. I used to watch Cow & chicken and whatever when I was a kid and that show was full of sexual references. Lance Sackless. Cmon.

Dunki

Dark humor is fine for kids. I used to watch Cow & chicken and whatever when I was a kid and that show was full of sexual references. Lance Sackless. Cmon.
The point is that a 7 year old does not really understand these jokes. IMO. Or did you know about pedophiles wnating to show these kids their large animal they can pet in there?^^
And yes while I think dark humor is fine you need at least as old so you can understand the humor^^

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
More Old Skies sneak peak stuff:

talky2.gif

suitchange2.gif

I was just thinking, after looking at these gifs, that it's kinda funny that Wadjet Eye is known for their Sci-Fi games but this is actually Dave Gilbert's first time stepping outside of urban fantasy. It'll be interesting to see what kinda future tech he imagines/where he goes with it in general.

Wait, is social distancing still a thing in the far-flung future?

llien

The point is that a 7 year old does not really understand these jokes.
That is how I got away with it.
Pedo thing was the most troubling for me, dolphins bit was kinda fine.

The book of unwritten tales looks a tad ugly to my taste, I prefer drawn models to ugly 3D.

Last edited:

Dunki

That is how I got away with it.
Pedo thing was the most troubling for me, dolphins bit was kinda fine.
How did the sell his girlfriend as a Slave to the music guy as a dancing monkey go? XD

Seriously I love this game and its humor and yeah if thats how you got away with playing it more power to you :p

The book of unwritten tales looks a tad ugly to my taste, I prefer drawn models to ugly 3D.
I guess you already played day of the tentacle? Broken Sowrd is great too the first 2 games. But I do not know if its an interesting Story for a 7 year old...

Otherwise Runaway is great too.

Last edited:
So I've never seen the Runaway games before.. the animation looks fantastic - a world away from the flash animation we see too much of today. Might have to pick it up on Gog.
They're great games! Classic PnC.

Speaking of, it's been a few years since I sat down with some good adventure games. Definitely have a major itch to play some. I went through the OP (great job) and found some to add to my wishlist.

As of right now I'm curious about Paradise Killer, VirtuaVerse and Blind Killer - curious if I should snag them now or hold off until the next Steam sale? Do they typically drop?

Dunki

So I've never seen the Runaway games before.. the animation looks fantastic - a world away from the flash animation we see too much of today. Might have to pick it up on Gog.
They are on the same level of quality like the old Broken Sword games which still look pretty decent IMO..

Last edited:
Dear GAFers,

I think Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People is a really good game for people in that age range. Homestar Runner is one of those things that tends to be funny for children and adults, at least to me.

If your son likes Dinosaurs, give Zniw adventure a shot. It's fantastic and even somewhat educational without being an "educational game."

Just discovered The Hand of Glory yesterday, a great classic Point‘n‘Click adventure in the vein of Broken Sword, classic Lucas Arts adventures etc. Full voice over, balanced inventory based and environmental puzzles, apparently about 15 hours (!) playing time.

The game has been released in two parts. The first came out in June 2020, the second and final part just a week ago. I‘m about 2 hours in and enjoying it a lot so far. I usually like classic style PnCs the most, so this game is completely in my vein.

Release trailer (first part in June):

Apparently the game was mainly developed by an Italian team, so maybe that‘s a plus point for Fuz too. If he likes the visual style that is :lollipop_wink_tongue:

Last edited:
Another adventure just released a few days ago (for PC & XBox): Call of the Sea

Haven‘t played it so far but graphics look stunning. According to most (critc’s) reviews full with clever puzzles, playing time only about 4, 5 hours though. Metascore is 79 from "professional" critics, 7.6 from users. So all in all rather favorable.

Not sure yet if I‘m going to buy it, probably at least gonna wait a few weeks, as it’s reportedly rather buggy atm.

Launch trailer:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

Ridiculous.... do you have a source where I see the differences? I was thinking about getting it since we loved the originals, but screw that if they "updated" content for today's obsessions. I can't imagine the Sam & Max characters giving a damn about their jokes being considered bad taste... what a misunderstanding of the source material.

Dear GAFers,

If you liked Deponia I‘d definitely recommend the other adventures from Daedalic’s heyday (that haven’t been mentioned yet).

Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes is available for the Switch.

Same as its predecessor Edna & Harvey: The Breakout

A New Beginning isn’t bad either with a nice environmental message:

Also a great (one of my favorites) - unfortunately often overlooked - game (only published) by Daedalic, Anna’s Quest:

P. S.: Anna‘s Quest is probably also perfect to play with a kid, as it takes place in a mythical and magical world and has lots of funny nods to classic fairy tales. Puzzles still aren‘t all too easy (neither too hard, just balanced and logical) though, so it‘s probably perfect to play together with your son.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

Ridiculous.... do you have a source where I see the differences? I was thinking about getting it since we loved the originals, but screw that if they "updated" content for today's obsessions. I can't imagine the Sam & Max characters giving a damn about their jokes being considered bad taste... what a misunderstanding of the source material.
There's already a fan-made mod that restores Bosco's original voice and dialogue. It covers episodes 1 to 4 so far.

Other than Bosco's voice actor and lines, there were some other character lines that got cut and the subtitles changed accordingly too. The guy who makes the mod wrote he will attempt to deal with those too, after the Bosco stuff are restored first.

I don't think there's a complete list of what was changed or cut but there is a thread on Steam forums that some people mention what they spotted. That thread is kind of huge mess however since it is the result of various smaller threads merged together.

TripleSun

this is the specific post on that thread that details a good amount of them but I don’t know if it’s all of them:

here’s an article on it too

Last edited:
Another adventure just released a few days ago (for PC & XBox): Call of the Sea

Haven‘t played it so far but graphics look stunning. According to most (critc’s) reviews full with clever puzzles, playing time only about 4, 5 hours though. Metascore is 79 from "professional" critics, 7.6 from users. So all in all rather favorable.

Not sure yet if I‘m going to buy it, probably at least gonna wait a few weeks, as it’s reportedly rather buggy atm.

Gonna play this after im done with Cyberpunk. Nicely enough, the game just hit a clean 80 on metacritic and they haven't yet included the 9/10 it got from IGN on the PC average. Dunno why since the review lists all platforms but in any case the game looks good and well received.

Gonna play this after im done with Cyberpunk. Nicely enough, the game just hit a clean 80 on metacritic and they haven't yet included the 9/10 it got from IGN on the PC average. Dunno why since the review lists all platforms but in any case the game looks good and well received.

Nice, gonna finish The Hand of Glory in the meantime - Then we can trade our impressions :pie_ssmiling:

Dear GAFers,

Oh, a few other great classics came to mind:

Switch (and other systems): Thimbleweed Park

PC (and other systems):

Day of the Tentacle for many is one of the best Point‘n‘Click adventures of all time, remastered with modern visuals and simpler controls. Logical puzzles, funny, even a little bit educational (you‘re meeting some of the US founding fathers for example) and definitely kid friendly.

The new(est) King‘s Quest. Mix between remake and new entry. Puzzles aren‘t all too hard but it‘s a beautiful story with nice visuals. Probably perfect to play with a kid.

Also an amazing classic, King‘s Quest VI (link from the GoG-store* here bundled with the less recommended parts IV & V). A PnC from the 90s, still holding up greatly today with full voice over, different approaches/solutions to various puzzles and multiple endings. Puzzles are usually more than logical but there are also a few dead ends (not many, especially compared to its predecessors but still) and harder parts so probably good for an adult to take the helm.

Steam Link for all seven parts:

And of course there are the amazing Monkey Island titles (or their modern remakes), with part 3, Curse of Monkey Island, being my (and many others) all time favorite (Fuz - as Ron Gilbert aficionado :pie_smirking: - disagrees though, as the latter was only involved in the first two parts):

For completion‘s sake I‘m also adding the less well received part 4:

And the newest entry Tales of Monkey Island series from Telltale = a different developer than for the first four parts. I liked the game quite a lot but suppose among the fandom it‘s a bit divisive:

Story-wise the Monkey Island titles are definitely kid-friendly. Puzzles are usually logical as well with some harder brain teasers and leaps of logic (especially in the first two parts) here and there too though.

*Just as a personal preference, if PC games are available on both platforms (Steam & GoG) I‘d recommend buying them on GoG, as the games there don‘t have DRM which means "that you can download or copy your games as many times as you want on as many supported platforms as you want, and GOG will never block you from playing it."

Last edited:
Top Bottom