• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Advertising Standards launches investigation into No Man's Sky

Sayad

BRB, suing Capcom because I certainly didn't get a two player mode or a ducking function in Mega Man, despite the manual specifically saying so.

I don't know. I wasn't lied to because I stopped following the media after the first reveals. I had a blast until it turned out that there really wasn't a goal for the center of the galaxy OR checking in with the other travellers. I think the overhype was a combination of the standard AAA media hype + Murray's tendency to go "sure, I guess" to every single question.
"I wasn't lied to because I didn't hear the lies" Well, good for you I guess!

Jobbs

Banned
I wonder if Geoff Keely will become the gaming version of Oprah for people to make their first appearance on after they do something terrible

DataGhost

I got you covered bro.

Just follow the tutorial according to wherever you live. For future reference for the next time crap like this happens again, since econsumer.gov is a product of a coalition of all kinds of consumer protection agencies across the globe, including the FTC and ASA all complaints filed through them by following this tutorial will find their way to whatever agency it may concern.

Thanks man

The_Lump

Banned
To be fair it goes further than expectations management.

I never expected MP to have any significant place, or even to really be in the game in any meaningfull way, but according to what was being said in interviews and shown on videos I did expect:

- Factions with meaningful consequences to picking a side (right now you can friend all, and all it visibly impacts is being given a third choice in dialogues at times) and ongoing inter-faction wars with capital ships engaging each other
- Galactic Police vs Pirates, possibly gaining wingmen during some operations
- Meaningful Trade ala Frontier Elite, with trade routes between systems
- Planets orbiting around a star, planets rotating
- Worlds becoming harsher and weirder as you would get closer to the Galactic Core
- Functionning Gates, with ancient ruins mysteries (right now ruins are all about languages and if you guess a right answer a chance at getting a crafting recipe you probably already own)
- A tad more variety between worlds/ systems. One of the basic tenants was that life would be in about 10% of planets, and highly evolved life on 10% of that 10%. Well... the fuel/ repair elements are such that every.single.planet has the same base resources (Plutonium, Iron, Zinc, Heridium) and also outposts. Every single of the 18 Quintillion planets has been colonized and has outposts (some planets more sparse than others) and every single system in the universe has a space station, with 1 of 3 races.
- Giant flora and Fauna. It's supposed to be in the game, some people have found files (PC) with models that "should" be giant, but in almost 2 months I have not seen 1 report of a giant creature.

I do like the game a lot for many reasons (chill space flight, some gorgeous landscapes/ lighting, music...) but it honestly fell quite a bit short of what was presented during 2014/ 2015 imo.

Good post. Sums my feelings up nicely so I'll just pilfer your thoughts of that's ok? Ta.

hesido

... consumers have a responsibility to inform themselves on the product, relying 100% on trailers and official promotional material is a dangerous approach.

It doesn't have to be dangerous? If maybe appropriate penalties are given, and devs or whoever marketing the products should act accordingly next time?

androvsky

To be fair it goes further than expectations management.

I never expected MP to have any significant place, or even to really be in the game in any meaningfull way, but according to what was being said in interviews and shown on videos I did expect:

- Factions with meaningful consequences to picking a side (right now you can friend all, and all it visibly impacts is being given a third choice in dialogues at times) and ongoing inter-faction wars with capital ships engaging each other
- Galactic Police vs Pirates, possibly gaining wingmen during some operations
- Meaningful Trade ala Frontier Elite, with trade routes between systems
- Planets orbiting around a star, planets rotating
- Worlds becoming harsher and weirder as you would get closer to the Galactic Core
- Functionning Gates, with ancient ruins mysteries (right now ruins are all about languages and if you guess a right answer a chance at getting a crafting recipe you probably already own)
- A tad more variety between worlds/ systems. One of the basic tenants was that life would be in about 10% of planets, and highly evolved life on 10% of that 10%. Well... the fuel/ repair elements are such that every.single.planet has the same base resources (Plutonium, Iron, Zinc, Heridium) and also outposts. Every single of the 18 Quintillion planets has been colonized and has outposts (some planets more sparse than others) and every single system in the universe has a space station, with 1 of 3 races.
- Giant flora and Fauna. It's supposed to be in the game, some people have found files (PC) with models that "should" be giant, but in almost 2 months I have not seen 1 report of a giant creature.

I do like the game a lot for many reasons (chill space flight, some gorgeous landscapes/ lighting, music...) but it honestly fell quite a bit short of what was presented during 2014/ 2015 imo.
That's a really good run down on much of what's missing. By the way, what counts as giant creatures? I've seen a few 6 meter creatures that shake the camera and make the controller rumble as they walk nearby.

hesido

Given how you didn't understand what I posted, you only reinforced my original point.

By your reasoning, if someone hasn't gone to every remote possible website/tv show/newspaper/web link/word of mouth/store employee/grocery store employee/neighbor down the street/politician/etc/etc they're not an informed customer.

Which clearly isn't what I said.

The typical consumer isn't going to Colbert to get said info. Hell, for anyone who truly was following the game's development, the Colbert interview was a blip on the radar. It only became widespread when Reddit did their list and people started whipping themselves into a frenzy. Acting like the majority (or even 1/10th of people) saw that interview and said, "Oh gee, NOW I'm sold. To be able to see another player's model, that's unheard of in video games!" is specious at best.

It's totally understandable for the handful of people who saw the interview and felt betrayed, they're fully justified, but to try and make it sound like it's the typical experience is laughable to me.

Comparing watching Sean on Colebert to "McDonalds medical advice" is still silly, no matter how you put it. The percentage of typical consumers exposed to it bears no relevance on that rather inane analogy.

Jobbs

Banned
UPDATE:

- Link

Pretty good week for Hello Games.

I wonder if they played the game before making that ruling

in any case, I don't care, hopefully they can get the game close to what was pitched within about... 20 or so more updates the size of this one

Top Bottom