• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Advocate of ending U.S. birthright citizenship may be joining Trump administration"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
This isn't even a thing I considered someone would ever think up.
Then you didn't really pay attention during the campaign.

Donald Trump: "Anchor babies" aren't American citizens

Republican frontrunner Donald Trump doesn't believe babies born in the United States to undocumented immigrant parents are American citizens.

"I don't think they have American citizenship and if you speak to some very, very good lawyers -- and I know some will disagree, but many of them agree with me -- and you're going to find they do not have American citizenship," Trump said Tuesday in an interview with Fox News' Bill O'Reilly. "We have to start a process where we take back our country. Our country is going to hell."

Birthright citizenship is guaranteed by the Fourteenth Amendment, which reads "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and the State wherein they reside."

The real estate magnate, however, claims that those born on U.S. soil to illegal immigrants don't have full citizens' rights. "What happens is they're in Mexico, they're going to have a baby, they move over here for a couple of days, they have the baby," he told O'Reilly. Trump asserted, "Many lawyers are saying that's not the way it is in terms of this," and went on to say, "They are saying it is not going to hold up in court. It will have to be tested but they say it will not hold up in court."

The GOP presidential hopeful does not, however, support amending the Constitution to repeal birthright citizenship, saying it would be a "long process."

"I think it would take too long," he told Fox News. "I'd much rather find out whether or not anchor babies are citizens because a lot of people don't think they are. We're going to test it out."

Wulfric

*sigh*

That reminds me a lot of this quote:

"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

Ugh, how do we go from Obama to this? The actions of this past week have been based on hate and xenophobia. You know things are shitty when every civilized country is giving us the side eye.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Thankfully Republicans are short of the 38 states needed, but it isn't far off.
At this point I'd be more worried with Trump and Congress declaring the Constitution nullified than them trying to convince 2/3rds of states to ratify this hypothetical Amendment. If his end goal is full on autocracy he's gonna get it through other means than actually playing by the rules of the game.

badrang

*sigh*

That reminds me a lot of this quote:

Ugh, how do we go from Obama to this? The actions of this past week have been based on hate and xenophobia. You know things are shitty when every civilized country is giving us the side eye.

The recipe for disaster, leading to the election of demagogues include and aren't limited too:

-Decades of far right propaganda
-A cultural history of anti-intellectualism and racism
-The complete failure of our institutions to provide a good education and basic services to every American

The GOP represents every ugly American stereotype to the extreme.

kswiston

I wonder if we will see new work by this guy:

the-forgotten-man.jpg

Or is he now suddenly fine with sweeping changes because his team won in November?

At this point I'd be more worried with Trump and Congress declaring the Constitution nullified than them trying to convince 2/3rds of states to ratify this hypothetical Amendment. If his end goal is full on autocracy he's gonna get it through other means than actually playing by the rules of the game.

No, nullifying the Constitution is a bridge too far even for spineless shits like Rubio.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
The GOP is close to having enough states across the country to amend the Constitution. Vote in the midterms, people.

The GOP is close to having enough states across the country to amend the Constitution. Vote in the midterms, people.

If they ever attempted to call a constitutional convention to alter the bill of rights it would be the end of the union. The west coast and the northeast would secede.

Honestly, I am surprised that US still has birthright citizenship given how rare it is among developed countries, and how "anchor baby" has literally become an industry 20 years ago.

This is blatantly unconstitutional. What does it take for the Supreme Court to come in? Does someone actually have to bring it up to them?

The lawsuits working through the courts have to be appealed up to that level, yes. Though it is possible for the SCOTUS to issue a longer stay, the actual resolution of this case could take years.

I wonder if we will see new work by this guy:

the-forgotten-man.jpg

Or is he now suddenly fine with sweeping changes because his team won in November?

This painting is so confusing, I understand this is anti left, but why is Bush kinda on the side of Obama and JFK slightly undecided, also what's with Teddy chilling with the left? Why is the Silent Hill protagonist dude sad? Everyone behind the first row seem to be indifferent to the entire scene, and then Bill and FDR are clapping for something far off.

PlayerOne

Banned
Sorry but I know people who do this. They go to the US to give birth just so their kids will become American citizens by birthright, but the kids will grow up and live in another country.

I don't even know how or why that's legal, tbh.

Media

Jesus, I'm really going to have to start worrying aren't I? My daughter and I are naturally tan and get real dark during the summer cause I'm native. My boys don't have to worry as much, as they got more of daddies genes.

People already ask me if I'm legal when I've been in the sun a bit. Ugh.

watdaeff4

It's pretty clear but the Republicans are pretty smart with finding loop holes. Amending the Constitution is extremely difficult so they could possibly impose bans on issuing visas to pregnant tourists or non immigrants, or they could also increase requirements to get paperwork or hospital care.
This is what I think will come out of this. they will lose a 14th amendment battle so will "settle" for this

Sorry but I know people who do this. They go to the US to give birth just so their kids will become American citizens by birthright, but the kids will grow up and live in another country.
And yes this does happen.

In the lead-up to the election, there was a lot of talk about how Latinos would turn out in record numbers to stop Donald Trump. But not only did Trump end up winning, exit polls also indicated that he won 29 percent of the Latino vote — better than Mitt Romney had done four years earlier. That has sparked a heated debate among pollsters and advocacy groups over whether the exit polls can be trusted.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-probably-did-better-with-latino-voters-than-romney-did/

FyreWulff

Honestly, I am surprised that US still has birthright citizenship given how rare it is among developed countries, and how "anchor baby" has literally become an industry 20 years ago.

Because we're not inhumane assholes, in theory

And how does this hurt you? If you're a US citizen in another country you actually get double taxed on income. The US is one of the only countries that taxes you for income earned outside of the US.

I mean, if they end up living in another country for the rest of their lives, I don't think they represent the concern that Trump and his cronies are trying to make out of this issue. You're talking about people rich enough to travel to another country just to get the citizenship cred, and then skipping back to their own nation.

If that's what some of them are doing, then yeah, they're gaming the system, but that's such a small group that the effects are negligible.

We had a thread the other day suggesting that Trump may have only got 12% of the Latino vote.

Formless

Isn't there some weird hatred between latinos? Like some who have settled here and became citizens have disdain against hispanic immigrants that are just coming in.

There are definitely classes. I'm aware of some cases where people with more native blood (non European) are treated poorly.

PlayerOne

Banned
Because we're not inhumane assholes, in theory

And how does this hurt you? If you're a US citizen in another country you actually get double taxed on income. The US is one of the only countries that taxes you for income earned outside of the US.

did I ever say it hurts me? I just said I don't understand how it's legal that someone who isn't a citizen and never has been one, can go on a planned trip to the US just so their babies can be Americans even though their babies and the parents never and won't be living in the States in the coming decade or beyond that.

I know someone who's an American citizen by birthright and they never lived in the US all their life except for 2 weeks every few years. Sorry, but I don't see how or why that person can be considered an American citizen in any way.

Zen Aku

did I ever say it hurts me? I just said I don't understand how it's legal that someone who isn't a citizen and never has been one, can go on a planned trip to the US just so their babies can be Americans even though their babies and the parents never and won't be living in the States in the coming decade or beyond that.

I know someone who's an American citizen by birthright and they never lived in the US all their life except for 2 weeks every few years. Sorry, but I don't see how or why that person can be considered an American citizen in any way.

Don't quote me on this. But I think one of the reasons this is a law is because if you were born in U.S. territorial waters. You are consider a citizen. Which might have helped a lot of people who might be escaping from persecution. As their children would be under the protection of our country.

I means, I think that's a pretty damn cool law. *shrug*

Christine

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxpayers-living-abroad

Taxpayers Living Abroad

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside.

Whoever is doing this is in the same tax situation as every other U.S. expatriate. U.S. citizenship has many privileges but there are costs associated with the status. It's also not something that can be discarded lightly. For one, in order to renounce citizenship you have to settle up on your tax debt for unrealized capital gains.

Isn't there some weird hatred between latinos? Like some who have settled here and became citizens have disdain against hispanic immigrants that are just coming in.

Different people come here under different circumstances. My grandparents always held the later waves of Cuban immigrants in contempt, because they viewed them as lower class and trashy.

According to what I understand this is true to a certain extent. Most people who initially fled were people of means or at least educated. The later groups were made up of not only the poor and uneducated but also lots of criminals. Supposedly Castro's regime sometimes encourage certain criminals to escape to US as a way to help pacify Cubans.

My grandparents always claimed it was this practice that inspired the Scarface character. I've never bothered to verify if their belief regarding later Cuban exiles was true, but they and many other Cubans definitely do.

Hispanics aren't really a monolith especially those that aren't of Mexican descent. The circumstances by which they found themselves here are fairly varied and their living situations are pretty different too. I've never understood why people try to do that. Argentinians have a very different history from Venezuelans and Cubans have a very different history from Mexicans. It's foolish to lump all those people together. It's like trying to lump the French and Germans together.

The idea of repelling Jus Soli is such a travesty its a defining characteristic of the US and has probably done far more good then harm to the country.

Conservative here (Never Trump FYI so please put down your rocks) ;)

The day he tries to end birthright citizenship is the day I start marching with liberals wherever and whenever I can to help bring full scale resistance.

The president has the authority to limit immigration and to even put temporary travel bans from certain countries (Again, I don't agree with most of this) but any EO that completely bastardized the constitution like this would have me in lock step at these marches with people whom I have many fundamental disagreements with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom