• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aeterna Noctis - Gameplay Trailer (Metroidvania style 2D platformer)

Bullet Club

SIE Spain (Sony Interactive Entertainment Spain) and the Spain-based indie games developer Aeterna Game Studio are today very pleased and happy to announce that they have just released some new info and a brand-new gameplay trailer for their upcoming 2D-metroidvania “Aeterna Noctis“.

In this 17-minute video, players can get a glimpse of what this 2D-metroidvania will offer when it releases on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and S, Nintendo Switch and PC later in 2021.

Developed as part of the PlayStation®Talents project, Aeterna Noctis tells the story of the King of Darkness and the Queen of Light. They are both cursed to fight each other eternally and even death could not free them from their destiny since they have been granted the gift of immortality. Players will experience this never-ending conflict through 16 challenging levels.

One of the most important features revealed during the extended gameplay was the leveling system. Aeterna Noctis has a skill tree where the player chooses the upgrades for the King of Darkness through three separate paths: melee combat, survival attributes and magic abilities. Each one of these ramifications allows a deep degree of specialization but at the same time, are not mutually exclusive. Players are free to upgrade their character as they want.

Pejo

Movement looks good, that's pretty much all I require to give it a shot. I skipped around the video a bit, hope there are a bunch of upgrades and/or weapons to acquire, and hope they're relevant to the traversal like the Noctis-esque warp strike they use in the video.

Looks like a Metroidvania game alright.

I'm 6 minutes into the video and I haven't seen anything quite unique yet that would separate this game from the others.

Am I wrong?
Graphics are clean and nice. But there's so many of these retrovania games nowadays. I give Bloodstained a pass because it's actually a Japanese game by one of the founders of the genre (and I always preferred Castlevania over Metroid)

Fun fact: Iga actually modeled Symphony of the Night as a 2D platforming Zelda. One could argue Metroidvanias are just run and jump Zelda games lmao.

Last edited:
Nope you're right. It looks like they've wholesale stolen a bunch of mechanics from hollow knight without adding their own spin to anything.

Did they? I can barely see the Hollow Knight inspirations because of how unfortunately generic it looks.

I mean, come on, guy with long hair and a cape, akin to Castlevania, doesnt exactly scream original.

I really appreciate games like Ori and Hollow Knight that try to revamp the art style and direction for Metroidvania.

Idk. I'll keep an eye on this game for the time being.

Graphics are clean and nice. But there's so many of these retrovania games nowadays. I give Bloodstained a pass because it's actually a Japanese game by one of the founders of the genre (and I always preferred Castlevania over Metroid)

Fun fact: Iga actually modeled Symphony of the Night as a 2D platforming Zelda. One could argue Metroidvanias are just run and jump Zelda games lmao.

Haha I didnt know that that fun fact. It's understandable though now that I think about it.

But you're right, Symphony gets a pass because it's literally created by one of forefathers of the genre.

Ah man, I want to see the next game by Iga already by now.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Looks horrible reminds me of

220px-Newgrounds_Tankman_logo.png

fuck flash

I'd love to see some innovation in this genre. Like, a game that isn't just a homage to old games where you can pinpoint every source of inspiration in the level/enemy design, progression, skills etc.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Nice to see videogames coming out from Spain but man, that game looks really bland.

Whitecrow

Banned
Development studios gotta start somewhere.
Yeah it may not be the best looking game but they are a group of people that with a failed kickstarter still managed to put something out. They deserve a chance.

Sony put a new trailer a couple of days ago:

Top Bottom