• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After 20 years, Game Freak decides to push the Pokemon franchise onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nautilus

Banned
FINALLY

F
I
N
A
L
L
Y

I have always loved Pokemon, but after the third or fourth game, I got tired of the formula, because Gamefreak never introduces anything new that felt substancial. Any new feature felt superficial, and all the ambition that Red and Blue had was drained away.I tried recently X and Y and they felt so damn boring.

So many RPGs had surpassed Pokemon in every sense by this point in time.Persona, SMT, and any turn based RPG.Heck, even Tandem was a better Pokemon game than most actual Pokemon games.So when Nintendo showed Legends: Arceus I felt hopeful.That seemed like everything I wanted from a pokemon game.But I wanted more than simply innovating in the level/traversal aspect.I wanted them to reimagine what it meant to be a Pokemon game....

AND THEY FUCKING DELIVERED!Its a open world game, where you can go anywhere you see.No more tight corridors without exploration.

They revamped the battle system completely.Being apparently inspired in FF X's battle system, where speed plays a crucial role, you now have to be careful when using fast or slow and powerful attacks.I imagine status effects will have an even bigger importance this time.

Not only that, but now you approach pokemons in a completely different way.Some you just have to throw pokemon balls at them, other you have to sneak up to them.Others you will have to battle first.I imagine that you can only find certain pokemons in certain areas.

And who knows what more is completely new and never seen before in a Pokemon game.For the first time in god knows how long, this franchise has this air of mystery to it again.

It all feels fresh again.It all feels exciting again.That same excitement that I felt discovering everything that Red and Blue had to offer.

After 20 years, I am finally excited about a Pokemon game again.What about you guys?

-MD-

We're going to buy it but really the big new change is just your character dodging attacks from pokemon and throwing the pokeballs yourself manually. That's not really a huge shake up to me but it's something.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'll probably cave and buy it, but I don't have super high expectations. I'm definitely glad to see them at least attempt some advancement.

Last one I really enjoyed was the Hawaii one. I never really finish these games and I'm just a casual fan at best. But yeah, it looks fun. (y)

Nautilus

Banned
We're going to buy it but really the big new change is just your character dodging attacks from pokemon and throwing the pokeballs yourself manually. That's not really a huge shake up to me but it's something.
What?You make no sense.

The exploration in this game has zero relation on how exploration worked before.

The combat system, while still turn based, uses a completely different system, borrowing FF X's Conditional Turn based system, making it feel completely different.

How you capture pokemon is different.

Everything is different.

FINALLY

F
I
N
A
L
L
Y

I have always loved Pokemon, but after the third or fourth game, I got tired of the formula, because Gamefreak never introduces anything new that felt substancial. Any new feature felt superficial, and all the ambition that Red and Blue had was drained away.I tried recently X and Y and they felt so damn boring.

So many RPGs had surpassed Pokemon in every sense by this point in time.Persona, SMT, and any turn based RPG.Heck, even Tandem was a better Pokemon game than most actual Pokemon games.So when Nintendo showed Legends: Arceus I felt hopeful.That seemed like everything I wanted from a pokemon game.But I wanted more than simply innovating in the level/traversal aspect.I wanted them to reimagine what it meant to be a Pokemon game....

AND THEY FUCKING DELIVERED!Its a open world game, where you can go anywhere you see.No more tight corridors without exploration.

They revamped the battle system completely.Being apparently inspired in FF X's battle system, where speed plays a crucial role, you now have to be careful when using fast or slow and powerful attacks.I imagine status effects will have an even bigger importance this time.

Not only that, but now you approach pokemons in a completely different way.Some you just have to throw pokemon balls at them, other you have to sneak up to them.Others you will have to battle first.I imagine that you can only find certain pokemons in certain areas.

And who knows what more is completely new and never seen before in a Pokemon game.For the first time in god knows how long, this franchise has this air of mystery to it again.

It all feels fresh again.It all feels exciting again.That same excitement that I felt discovering everything that Red and Blue had to offer.

After 20 years, I am finally excited about a Pokemon game again.What about you guys?
In all honesty, this looks like a 10$ game, nothing new from GF as usual

Concept is awesome, but the result looks like a technical disaster, the game would need 2-3 more work or a more capable, decent studio as lead

Pros are fantastic music, top quality regional forms, both really good as always, and the style looks really good

We'll see, but due to a so close release date, i'm not too optimistic, looks like a beta

Last edited:

TexMex

I get being happy that it looks like they (slightly) opened it up, but the game looks like absolute ass.

Fbh

Now with any luck in another 20 years this niche franchise that has to really struggle to get past the 100k sales line can afford the budget to actually look like a 2010 open world game from a technical and artistic point of view

Barely, and the open world elements look like something from 2012. Lets get pokemon out of gamefreaks hands please. All this makes me wish is that the franchise was in a more polished studios hands.

Last edited:

Miles708

imagination jerking off GIF

Kumomeme

put aside the Pokemon Legend Arceus visuals, but the game design and gameplay wise, it seems they try to break way from already pre-existing formula and try something new. hope they dont stop though, until they find next 'winning' formula as a base for their future title.

meanwhile hope they did put some bit more effort on visuals though. its supposed to be 2022 game. overall looks rough and seems like lack lot of visual effect. also that grass lmao...i hope they take inspiration from BOTW on this aspect but look what we gonna get...

Last edited:
Definitely a step in the right direction without doubt and touches on a lot of elements people have been asking for for many years. I will definitely be picking up and testing it out.

Having said that, the trailer really puts a spotlight on how limited Gamefreak are as developers. As much as there is a lot of new things for the franchise, there is VERY little in terms of actual innovation for the genre. What you can do in the game seems extremely limited and seems like a pretty bare bones game in general. If it wasnt for the Pokemon tagline I think most people would be calling this utter trash.

To my eyes it has major Death Stranding vibes. Huge barren open world, one objective that you rinse and repeat, setting your own objectives based one what gear(/pokemon) you have, open world stealth,story thrust on you once you've completed X amount of objectives. The problem being DS had phenomenally curated music and visual design, along with physics and animations that gave the experience weight and believability. Arceus on the other hand has awful looking environments that are entirely carried by the fact that pokemon are running around them. They d9nt even seem to have voice acting. In 2021. The highest selling ip of all time doesnt even have voice acting in 2021.
Game Freak really need a helping hand from the larger studios at Nintendo.

Kuranghi

Sorry was there a new gameplay preview or something? You seem to be talking about it like its out, I'm so confused.

Saber

Gold Member
They may look like push somethings here and there(in terms of gameplay to say the least), but frankly theres nothing "moving" and neither groundbreaking. And thats ignoring the bunch of "not actual gameplay" footage.

What this feels like they finally jump from Flinstones cars to actual old cars. While a bunch of small team devs show impressive feats with lower budgets and get downplayed, GF do the bare minimum and gets praised.

Last edited:
The only ambitious thing about Red and Blue is how many bugs they can have in one game total.

Game looks like ass, people seem easily impressed when there's better indie games out there. Lmao. 3D did a number on Pokemon. Gamefreak should have stuck to sprites.

-MD-

What?You make no sense.

The exploration in this game has zero relation on how exploration worked before.

The combat system, while still turn based, uses a completely different system, borrowing FF X's Conditional Turn based system, making it feel completely different.

How you capture pokemon is different.

Everything is different.

Everything in my post made sense. It honestly sounds like you're setting some unrealistic expectations for relatively minor improvements but you do you. I saw the footage and I've played this series long enough to know what to expect.

Looks pretty cool, but environments seem a bit on the dead side. It doesn't seem to have BOTW's great world design and it definitely doesn't have it's great art design.

Will probably be a decent game with a way better sequel

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
It definitely looks far more appealing then Sword and Shield. The change of direction is appreciated. Still looks rough, but it could be good. Also could be train wreck, but at least they are trying. Last Pokemon title I though was good was on the DS with Black and White.

Deerock71

I hope Arceus is BOTWMon. I have seen some potential seams that might not make it what we're all hoping, but I'd love to be wrong.

Y0ssarian

Banned
Both this and Brilliant Diamond/Whatever Pearl kinda look like ass (graphics) from the last trailers but I'll be picking up both

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I was not impressed with the first switch game for pokemon. It was the last straw no matter if they go GOTY 20 years in a row from here on out. D e a d t o m e.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Pokemon is like a hot lady who's somehow dating a shithead of a man. You like her, you know she deserves better but can't really do anything since it's not your business.

Unless your business is putting Game Freak's HQ on fire. That would help, probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom