• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After almost 3 months since the release of the RTX 4090, what is the consensus on DLSS 3.0 ?

zephiross

In a few days, the RTX 4090 will have been out for 3 months, and with it the last iteration of DLSS, the 3.0 version that brought frame generation with it. There has been videos from renowned youtubers analysing the tech, but now that more people were able to get their hands on the cards and try DLSS 3.0 for themselves, I would love to hear some direct feedback, especially on image quality, input lag, etc...

Since it's a big selling point of the hardware, it would be great to concentrate feedback in one place so that people who are still hesitant about buying one, or just curious about this, could hear from actual users and their real world gaming usage.

hlm666

Still not enough games out with FG support to make a call on quality, it was better in Plaguetale than Spiderman so if it keeps improving it will be a useful option on cpu limited games and/or very heavy RT games. I can't see it being used in competitive multiplayer games, singleplayer and coop things are where it will be used if it works out.

On a side note about input latency, anyone worried about it should really do their homework on it because just because you get the same framerate on competing gpus it doesn't equal same input latency.

fortnite-latency-4070-ti-perf.png

Last edited:

GHG

My sample size is 1 game (because its the only game I've needed it for) but its fantastic on the Witcher 3.

I was sceptical prior to getting the 4090 (and purchased it for the raw performance, not frame gen) but the way it allows me to run the Witcher 3 maxed out with all RT on at ~100 fps, along with completely circumventing the CPU bottleneck issue in densely populated NPC areas has made me a true believer. Looking forward to it being rolled out for other games.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Artifact wise and latency wise its pretty bad but it can only improve from here just like DLSS 1 vs DLSS 2, im sure DLSS 3 will have a huge improvement over time. Anyone who says is great is lying, at least in its current state. I'd rather have lower frames than ugly artifacting and delayed input.

Last edited:

GHG

Artifact wise and latency wise its pretty bad but it can only improve from here just like DLSS 1 vs DLSS 2, im sure DLSS 3 will have a huge improvement over time. Anyone who says is great is lying, at least in its current state. I'd rather have lower frames than ugly artifacting and delayed input.

Yes let's take the word of someone who hasn't used it along with AMDware Unboxed over people who are using it.

T4keD0wN

Its the only reason there is to upgrade from ampere or high end turing imo. I dont get the latency complaints, the increase is tiny and you dont have to enable the frame generation feature in your multiplayer games since they tend to be well optimized anyway. It appears to look better than topaz labs interpolation which takes multiple hours to make a 1h 30fps video into 60fps one.
I just hope devs dont use FG as a crutch to get their games to playable levels or purposely make their games run like crap in order to sell DLSS3 cards.
Gonna wait for it to get higher adaptation before getting an ada card, cant wait to get rid of cpu bottlenecks and replay cyberpunk at 220fps.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Glorified tru motion
This is like saying DLSS is glorified 2xSAI. Super bad take.

The tech is impressive but it seems like it works best when you're using it to achieve 120fps than if you're trying to get a 45fps game up over 60.

By that same token it probably depends a bit on how much you feel that difference between 60 and 120. Not everyone is that sensitive to high frame rates.

Raelgun

I've tried it MS Flight Simulator, Spiderman, Warhammer 40K Darktide, Witcher 3, Plague Tale: Requiem, Portal RTX and it was INCREDIBLE on every single one.

Playing these games with all graphics settings maxed out, Ray tracing maxed out, and still getting insane FPS feels... like magic...

Didn't notice any lag either.

Kind of getting the impression that people who are very negative about DLSS3 are ones who haven't actually tried it for themselves...

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Portal has some weird fucked up artifacts if you strafe left and right while looking at those bright vertical lights by all the elevators. Has that been fixed yet?

Witcher and Darktide it works amazingly well

proandrad

That video is 2 months old and I believe a lot of the issues mentioned have been fixed or significantly improved. It’s just a shame DLSS 3.0 is paywalled behind the 4000 series.

Gaiff

Better than I thought it'd be. I wasn't sold on it at all at first but it's pretty great. Had those weird ghosting issues in Spidey but besides that, it worked well. Not available in many games though.

Tunned

Honestly, all the games I tried so far pretty much run at 120fps at highest settings with DLSS 2.0 set to quality (RDR2 averages about 110fps), and NFS Unbound runs at a locked 120fps regardless of DLSS 3.0. So I have yet to have the need to turn DLSS 3.0 on (in the games that have it, need to try Witcher 3). 🤷

Pey.

It's amazing. I just posted a late review of the RTX 4080 with some videos comparing DLSS 2 Vs DLSS 3 in Quality Mode. Not only does it double the FPS in some cases, but it also removes the CPU bottleneck for others (like A Plague Tale: Requiem, MSF, Spider-Man, Witcher 3, etc). You can see for yourself:

I also posted some gameplay videos with DLSS 3 and comparison images between all quality/performances modes of DLSS 2 and DLSS 3 in the review: https://www.pcmrace.com/2023/01/06/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080-founders-edition-review/

Last edited:
i wish more games supported it but if a game has it then i'm enabling it. it's basically free performance and you'd be stupid to NOT enable it.

people might compare it to TV interpolation but in my experience TVs look shit when they try boost framerate. DLSS 3.0 is indistinguishable. there is no difference from playing a game at 60fps with it off compared to playing a game at 100-120fps with it on....except of course you're getting higher frame rates.

Excellent marketing gimmick for nvidia fanboys.
there is no doubt it is a marketing gimmick. of course Nvidia are gonna lock it behind new cards. plenty of companies do shit like that. they want you to spend money and upgrade to new hardware (crazy i know). there is no reason it can't come to other cards...that's up to nvidia.

but really it is good. flight simulator was the game that my previous card (2080) struggled with most as i had to lock it to 30fps and even then it would sometimes drop to 20-25fps. with a 4080 and no DLSS i was getting about 40-60fps. with DLSS 3.0 i am getting about 80-100fps on average. sorry but i'm not going to turn my nose up at an extra ~40fps lol.

you can just write me off as an "nvidia fanboy" if you want but i was 100% ready to go AMD until they made the 4080 look like good value. for an extra £50 over the 7900 XTX i can get a card with basically same performance (without dlss), better raytracing, and DLSS 3.0? yeah i'm getting a 4080 lol.

price is an issue yeah but who in their right mind would not want extra performance out their card? i bet if nvidia enable it for 2000-3000 cards people will change their tune.

Seems neat, but by no means the be all end all. Especially for that price. So damn absurd, that pricing.
don't buy it then. wait for 5000 cards and hope they are cheaper lol

anyway we arent talking about price here.

Last edited:
It makes a ridiculous difference in Witcher 3 with everything turned on. It made plague tale absolutely fly and it damn near had me doubting the #'s I was seeing was real

I noticed some ghosting on NPC's but after the last driver update or so I haven't seen it anymore.

Were in a treat once more games start using it. For the people who may be a little bit more tech savvy is this something they could use in VR Games one day?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
My question for dlss3 is do you still have quality , balanced, performance to pick from ?

Currently I always pick dlss quality for games I do in 4k, or I drop it down to 1440P to maintain 60fps while using ray tracing. Balanced and performance are utter dog shit and turn games with motion blur off into nothing but blur and smear past 2 feet in front of the character.

So, does this give you all the fps it touts at quality level of current or does it turn it all into a smear ?

MiguelItUp

don't buy it then. wait for 5000 cards and hope they are cheaper lol

anyway we arent talking about price here.
I haven't, and nah I'm good, lol. At least not until the size and power changes. Along with pricing, haha. But hey, not like that was all I said. It's just impossible to not mention it as many feel it's a bit much. 🤷‍♂️ But to each their own of course.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Yes let's take the word of someone who hasn't used it along with AMDware Unboxed over people who are using it.

I've been watching this channel for 1-2 years now and they are critical of both Nvidia and Amd. There is no one favored.

Poppyseed

I've tried it MS Flight Simulator, Spiderman, Warhammer 40K Darktide, Witcher 3, Plague Tale: Requiem, Portal RTX and it was INCREDIBLE on every single one.

Playing these games with all graphics settings maxed out, Ray tracing maxed out, and still getting insane FPS feels... like magic...

Kind of getting the impression that people who are very negative about DLSS3 are ones who haven't actually tried it for themselves...
100% this. I’ve been playing (the massively overrated) Plague Tale Requiem on my 4090 at 150-160fps maxed out at 4K and it’s glorious.

Banned
prople who actually think DLSS3's inage quality is an issue better not turn SSR on in any title... or SS AO for that matter.

the fact is, we have graphical effects that are accepted in the mainstream that have WAAAY worse artifacting than DLSS3, and those artifacts aren't only worse but also very clearly visible.

so I was kinda shocked at how many people looked at still images from it and made it look like it's the worst thign ever, while not batting an eye at yet another game relying entirely on screen space reflections even tho it's artifact city all day long.

Banned
My question for dlss3 is do you still have quality , balanced, performance to pick from ?

I think going forward we need to distinguish between DLSS3 and DLSS Frame Generation.

because DLSS3 is just an umbrella term that includes DLSS Upsampling and DLSS frame Generation.

DLSS Frame Generation is just an on/off switch and is completely separated from DLSS Upsampling, which still works exactly the same as before.

s-bojan

Banned
but it also removes the CPU bottleneck for others (like both Spider-Man, Witcher 3, A Plague Tale: Requiem, etc)
This is the only reason why I want to upgrade. It does not work in every game, but atleast you can do something about bad ports.
I am afraid that developers will be using it as a crutch.

thuGG_pl

Devs aren’t going to use features only available to a small portion of the Steam userbase as a crutch.

Would have been a different scenario if NVIDiA had it working on the 3000 series

And somehow RT and DLSS 1/2 got support, despite it being only available on rtx 20xx series at first.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
I'm quite sensitive to input lag.

Hell the difference between v sync and no v sync is huge.

I imagine using DLSS 3 is going to make all your games control like absolute shit.

thuGG_pl

I'm quite sensitive to input lag.

Hell the difference between v sync and no v sync is huge.

I imagine using DLSS 3 is going to make all your games control like absolute shit.

So far it's not the case reading the impressions and articles about it.

Monad

Can’t say because I play in a 4K monitor limited at 60 Hz and I be able to play almost anything maxed out at 60 fps without DLSS, but I tried the frame generation the other day with Plague Tale Requiem (which has minimum hiccups every now and then, although not very noticeable with VRR) and seems to work properly to mitigate the problem and maintain the 60 fps.

Buggy Loop

NVIDIA-DLSS-3-Major-Improvements-Coming-Soon-_1.png

Upcoming update seems to fix most of the complaints. Can’t say I’m not jealous of it. If I had an Ada card I would always enable it. Probably the only way to get >30 fps for the cyberpunk 2077 overdrive patch lol. It’ll only get better, much like DLSS 2.0, until it becomes the norm and we even forget this moment in time where we were native resolution and native framerates.

I don’t get people down on DLSS and would prefer to run native.. dude, even native 4K you need a form of AA or it looks like a jagged mess imo, wires are jagged. TAA isn’t cutting it, DLSS is best by far.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

This is my thoughts exactly . People were talking about millisecond input lag. Like who cares ?

Top Bottom