• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After almost 5 months, have you grown to like the PS5 UI?

RCU005

I got my PS5 in December after I was able to grab the last preorder available I saw. I turned it on for the first time two weeks later because I was playing Ghost of Tsushima on PS4 and I was finishing it, so I preferred to wait to use the PS5.

The first time I used it, I liked the presentation of the UI, but I thought that it was incomplete, like there's something missing. After some time, I discovered things and features that made me like it better, but I still think it has many things missing from PS4. Right now, when I use my PS4, it does feel a little outdated in terms of visual design, but many things are easier/faster to get to.

What I like about the PS5 UI:
- Visual design
- Trophies now have a consistent square icon (hopefully it does apply to every game)
- Cards/Activities (it took me a little while to understand why they appear like that, but now they make sense and I love them)
-Trophy progress
- Pressing R1 to go to MEDIA
- Pressing triangle to go to "Tools" (Profile, Settings, Search)
- Integrated PS Store
-Trophy list design (many people hate the horizontal scrolling, but I like it)
- Trophy sound (I like this one much better, although it's quieter)
- Control Center (I prefer this to the hold-PS-button-menu on PS4)

What I don't like:
- I hate that there's icons from games that I don't have like Devil May Cry 5. Like, I used a disc, didn't download any DLC, so why is the icon there? I should only have icons from games I downloaded DLC like PS4. Also, need the ability to hide them like on PS4.
- Settings menu is just a copy/paste from PS4. They should redesign it and make it look better.
- Trophy icon should be in Control center or at least in Switcher
- Trophy description cards are small and need to scroll. Should use more space to fit everything in one card without needing to scroll.
- Music from games icons should be independent to home music. (It was like this on PS3, but from PS4 if you turn off Home Screen music, all turns off)
- I don't like how game base is used, but I haven't used it much, so I don't know if it's bad or I just haven't used it enough to know

Of course there's a lot of things that are missing. I suspect PS5 is going to have much more changes than PS4 had. I believe the PS5 was launched with a beta version of the UI. Of course Sony will never tell you that, but it feels like they didn't have to finish it completely so they left many things off and copy/pasted other things from PS4 like the settings menu.

Have you gotten used to the PS5 UI and/or liked it better? You could also post what changes you would like to see in the future (whether urgent or just something you'd like).

THEAP99

Banned
The UI has many great helpful features like the PS PLUS hints and activity cards, and I like the general look and speed of things but it's so fucking barebones man. There are barely any customization options like no folders and not enough shortcuts. Too many menus dug deep into it too many clicks. I also have that issue of games I deleted appearing on my home screen. Just start the download for it and cancel it it'll get rid of the icon

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Still don’t have a PS5,
Sad-dog-at-window.jpg

Barakov

Gold Member
I got my PS5 in December after I was able to grab the last preorder available I saw. I turned it on for the first time two weeks later because I was playing Ghost of Tsushima on PS4 and I was finishing it, so I preferred to wait to use the PS5.

The first time I used it, I liked the presentation of the UI, but I thought that it was incomplete, like there's something missing. After some time, I discovered things and features that made me like it better, but I still think it has many things missing from PS4. Right now, when I use my PS4, it does feel a little outdated in terms of visual design, but many things are easier/faster to get to.

What I like about the PS5 UI:
- Visual design
- Trophies now have a consistent square icon (hopefully it does apply to every game)
- Cards/Activities (it took me a little while to understand why they appear like that, but now they make sense and I love them)
-Trophy progress
- Pressing R1 to go to MEDIA
- Pressing triangle to go to "Tools" (Profile, Settings, Search)
- Integrated PS Store
-Trophy list design (many people hate the horizontal scrolling, but I like it)
- Trophy sound (I like this one much better, although it's quieter)
- Control Center (I prefer this to the hold-PS-button-menu on PS4)

What I don't like:
- I hate that there's icons from games that I don't have like Devil May Cry 5. Like, I used a disc, didn't download any DLC, so why is the icon there? I should only have icons from games I downloaded DLC like PS4. Also, need the ability to hide them like on PS4.
- Settings menu is just a copy/paste from PS4. They should redesign it and make it look better.
- Trophy icon should be in Control center or at least in Switcher
- Trophy description cards are small and need to scroll. Should use more space to fit everything in one card without needing to scroll.
- Music from games icons should be independent to home music. (It was like this on PS3, but from PS4 if you turn off Home Screen music, all turns off)
- I don't like how game base is used, but I haven't used it much, so I don't know if it's bad or I just haven't used it enough to know

Of course there's a lot of things that are missing. I suspect PS5 is going to have much more changes than PS4 had. I believe the PS5 was launched with a beta version of the UI. Of course Sony will never tell you that, but it feels like they didn't have to finish it completely so they left many things off and copy/pasted other things from PS4 like the settings menu.

Have you gotten used to the PS5 UI and/or liked it better? You could also post what changes you would like to see in the future (whether urgent or just something you'd like).
I'll let you know in August.

Aenima

I like it, its snappy and clean, but i need folders. Only thing i dislike so far is when u have many games installed on the console, the oldest ones dissapear from the home screen and u need to go to the library to launch them.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Man, remember when the PS3 had an update and it added those sparkles to the background. Those were the days! lol.

I should YouTube the PS5 UI, like most people, never played one. The PS4 UI is passable but the XMB will always be the greatest UI for me. Love it on the PS3 and PSP.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I like some parts, but other parts were better on PS4. Also should have launched with folders or groups.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I like it but I still wish they would add the ability to better organize games or even hide the ones that you no longer own and don't want to show up. I also wish the store was organized better.

Arun1910

I love it. I like how the store is integrated with the menu and I like how the 2 main tabs are just Games and Media.

Only 2 improvements I want are easier access to Trophies and more options for the quick menu. Ideally the quick menu should have a trophies option that throws up mini trophy cards (which would fix my first issue), and also have a friends section.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
It's worse than the shitty PS4 one still, absolute dogshit UI. I love the console but for god sake its really unintuitive, the game base thing is an annoyance, figuring out how to add/invite/do parties was not fun at the beginning.

Oh, and I still hold the PS button when I wanna turn off the console because It's hard to erase 8 years of muscle memory from the PS4, geniunely not sure why they changed that.

Imtjnotu

In reality the ps5 UI is absolute trash..

Ps store is so weird to navigate.

Turning the system off or in rest mode is a step back from ps4

Trying to close a game is dumb compared to ps4

Can't tell what game I have installed in the disk drive and having to scroll through to find said game is trash.

Figuring out which version of a game you're running is fucking stupid.

bitbydeath

I like it, just needs folders/tabs.
Everything is simple and fast and rest mode/pulling up a game works much better than it did on PS4.

Moonjt9

I love it but it definitely needs a shortc ut to trophies on the bar on the bottom when you press the ps button

sainraja

Visually, I think the PS5 UI is nice. It is also pretty fast and smooth. It does need some work, specially from a user experience perspective (it is a bit rough around the edges.) I expect that to change over the course of the system's life. There are somethings that I really like about it (specially the activity cards) while there are things they could improve on. Performance of the UI has been the most impressive, it is pretty responsive and quick to load. I do wish Sony will fix some of the other issues that are more UX related, they should be priority.

Last edited:
I still find it trash and a downgrade from PS4. Especially the lack of folders is what's killing me (have around 60 games installed).

The library is the 2nd worst offender. PS+ games should not be in your library when you don't have a sub, this is especially annoying when there is a dedicated PS+ tab that shows you all your PS+ games.

It also needs to remember certain filters I set up and have to set up each fucking time I'm looking for a game. I want my library sorted by alphabet, not by "last installed/bought". Default tab for library should also be installed games, not your whole library with uninstalled (and PS+) games.
This is especially annoying because of the missing folders. Can't even press R2 to jump into library quickly like you could on PS4, it takes way too many steps to get to a game you haven't played in a while. The Library should have been a tab that's at the top between Games and Media apps.

I also don't understand why system apps like the screenshots app aren't on the left side of the PS store.

The Store is also bad. They need to bring back suggestions/recommendations of similar games on the game pages so you can actually browse the store and find something new (well, this always crashed the store on PS4, but PS5 should be able to handle prolonged browsing sessions).

The best thing about the new UI are the cards, though, I really like them.

Mr.ODST

Probably one of the worst I have used, it can be improved with a few updates and one of my biggest gripes is the multi menu system based on long press / short of the PS button.

card system could be great and integrated store but barley any customisation either.

be interesting to see how it improves

I like it. Visually and functionally (its quick and snappy) it’s great. The only thing I don’t like is the trophy display (horizontal is dumb) and sometimes finding things is not very intuitive and easy.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
What?
Every game you installed creates an Icon, regardless if it was digital or physical. Same for PS4.

ethomaz

Banned
The UI is fine... I like it but it is not something revolutionary.

Now the PS5 design grown on you... I found it already the best Sony console design but today I find it even gorgeous than what I thought at launch.

Last edited:

RCU005

Give me a list view of trophies and I will be happy.
I don't get what's the difference between horizontal and vertical? You still scroll and see many on the screen. IMO it works better horizontal.

In this case, I don't think it makes a difference to "need" vertical list unless it's just because you are used to it.

RCU005

What?
Every game you installed creates an Icon, regardless if it was digital or physical. Same for PS4.
I had only few physical games on PS4. There are only two (Devil May Cry and FF Type-0) that I never bought any DLC, or themes or anything at all. Normally, when you uninstall a physical game but bought DLC, a theme or anything related to it, the icon can still be seen on your "purchased" tab because you own content from that game. It shows the icon to let you know that you have purchased content.

When you uninstall a physical game that you didn't get any content from the PS Store, the icon should disappear completely because there's nothing related to the game on your system anymore. There's also no content linking the game to the PS Store or anything.

On PS5, I get the icon from those two games. I reckon it's based on a "played" database and not a "content" database, and that's why they appear. It might be recognizing that I played the game (or I have trophies, or something else) that make the icon appear on my library on PS5. Those games should not appear at all on my library.

I also have the icon from the Kingdom Hearts Melody Demo. I assumed it is because the PS5 now joins all the content into the same icon (which is good), but that's where the ability to hide games from library would help a lot.

RCU005

Probably one of the worst I have used, it can be improved with a few updates and one of my biggest gripes is the multi menu system based on long press / short of the PS button.

It wasn't an issue for me at all. I've seen many people complaining about it, but it has to be definitely about muscle memory more than it being "wrong". If you think about how the UI is designed, it actually makes a lot of sense that the quick menu is now with a short press. You also get more stuff on that menu, so it gives you less reasons to want to go back to the Home Screen.

The way I quit games for example is: press PS button, go to switcher, select game, select quit game. Easy and fast.
To turn off the console: short press PS Button, scroll to power, rest mode. Still very easy and fast.

You do have to get used to, but hopefully it's easier for many people.

Topher

Gold Member
It is fine. Only thing that annoys me is that in order to turn it off or put it into rest mode, I have to "log off", then press the PS button, and then select "turn off" or "rest mode". Why aren't both those options next to "log off"? Nitpicky, but it does annoy me.

Top Bottom