• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After almost 5 months, have you grown to like the PS5 UI?

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
The one thing I still can't get the muscle memory for is not holding down the home button to get to the power off option.

The UI looks nice enough though. Nice to see native 4k and it's more immediately Impressive than the current series X interface. I like the sparkles / glitter as you first turn it on. Reminds me of the PS3 home where you could agitate the sparkles by shaking the controller.

Three

Give me a list view of trophies and I will be happy.
I have a theory about the UI. I think one of their goals was probably mobile and streaming so you have these chunky oversized cards you can swipe. I prefer a list view though.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
HELL no fuck that UI

every time i go back to my ps4 pro. i think what the fuck is sony thinking?
everything takes more steps to do
kill those moronic card things. it's a flop

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
It awful and I really was a fan of the XMB and PS4 UI.

-Only the last 7 games you've played on the default dock.
-Game Library defaulting to Your Collection rather than Installed
-Game Library doesn't remember your previous selected sort.
-Hitting Start on a game brings up a different menu depending on if you are in your Game Library versus the Dock.
-Hold and Press on the PS Button should give you options to shut the system off, manage devices or close the game.
-Game Base sorts parties first and then friends. This is only annoying because a party will stay open forever if you don't leave it manually.
-Trophies are buried a menu too deep.
-Cards/Activates seems underutilized and thus worthless to the player. Their UI elements are way too large.

Most of the new design feels poorly thought out and like Sony made changes just make changes. It's sad when I enjoy using the Xbox UI more which I actively dislike.

Last edited:

SAMZ

No ps4 was much easier to use. I miss ps4's double tab badly. Ps5 UI is like original windows 8, doesn't matter how beefy your hardware is if the UI is not user friendly.

Arkam

In all honestly I have still only scraped the surface (download & play games). I did use built in help system in one mission in SM:MM where I had forgotten about a game mechanic(electric web connections). Worked and was able to quickly return to game and progress. SO that's nice. But the base functionalities are fairly intuitive, visually appealing and snappy performance in general. Coming from a PS4 it was both familiar and different. Everything works pretty much the same and you can do it all from muscle memory.... except when you cant lol An example being the change from long press to short press to access PS Menu. Tripped me up for days.

skit_data

-They need to give access to the games entire trophy list through control center. Yesterday.
-Game folders, its cumbersome to go into the library everytime.
-Just rename ”Game base” ”Friends”.
-Make it possible to change between 3D audio and standard in control center.
-Having ”power off” on the furthest right hand side is simply wrong.

I've like it since day one.

My only issues are too many steps to get to trophy list and you still can't sort your trophy list.

xion4360

its fine overall, I just HATE the new store, the party/chat system sucks and trophies feel a little buried in there.

Kuranghi

I like the things people already said in the thread: shortcuts to search, everything being integrated and its speed of use. Some obvious changes though:

* You should be able to go in and see all the cards that are active but not showing and pin them, or hide the ones you don't want.
* A shortcut to trophies in the ps button menu
* Be able to add your own shortcuts to the control centre, like to the various settings pages and...
* ...specifically a shortcut to turn HDR on and off if they can't/won't add an auto-HDR option that checked whether the game has HDR at launch and turns it off if not. Tricky with the way different games handle it though I suppose, ie detecting at launch vs. a menu option, so the games aren't necessarily telling the PS5 or not.
* Folders

SkylineRKR

I like how Games and Media are 2 separate tabs. I also like how the Store is integrated. I like the activity cards, though sometimes its kinda useless.

But I hate the fact folders are gone.
I hate the way you have to power down this thing. Why not hold and immediately select rest mode? now you press, and move to the right most icon, and select from the menu. PS4 had the hold to power down menu, Xbox Series has it.

DarkestHour

Banned
Really can't stand it. The UI is the one thing you'll have so much time to focus on but it seems like they waited until the very last minute to even try to do anything.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

BTW, a thing about cards I don't think it tells you is this: When you have several cards for different missions you have accepted if you click resume on the card in some games, my example is Control, it will switch your on screen objective over to that without you having to go in the menus to do it. It actually saves quite a bit of time pressing ps button then right or left once and then square, going into the menu it takes 10+ seconds to change your objective and I don't know about you guys but the way I'm playing Control I often have like 10 missions active and I have to switch to a side mission to complete it while on a main mission, then I have to go back to the main mission again, so it saves a good 30 seconds every 15-30 minutes of so, so similar to time saved from the faster loading on next-gen.

In Spiderman:MM (Possibly in the remaster as well) you actually teleport to the mission start point on the map when you press "resume" on a mission card, it takes about 2-3 seconds to load so its way faster than using the map to fast travel to a nearby point and then travel there on... web.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Needs a complete overhaul

Different just for the sake of it vibes

Less functional than the PS4 UI and no where near XMB (why they didn't just keep XMB and moderize it a bit is beyond me its still the best)

Sony hasn't had really good UI since Launch PS4...current PS4 UI is a big step down from that which makes no sense but I guess it fits since sony seems to be going in a bad direction in general

xrnzaaas

I have no major issues with it. Accessing trophies and power down options should be available to be done faster, but I'll manage. My biggest complaint is that you can't have small icons in the library menu. Makes it harder to browse if you have a few hundred games.

HTK

Banned
I prefer PS4's UI, accessing friends/friends list on PS5 UI is horrendous. Starting party's is horrendous. Really, I'm not sure what they were thinking.

trikster40

I wish I could reverse what pressing the PS button vs holding it down did. I’d rather hold it down to open up the quick bar at the bottom.

I also wish I could remove the limit of how many installed games are displayed. And hide purchased content if I’m done with it like ps4

Jaysen

Banned
I love that it's 4K, but I hate that they reversed the controller actions from the PS4 OS. If they kept them the same, they'd be pretty much identical to PS4 and Xbox Series X. There was no good reason to reverse what hitting the Playstation button did. Otherwise its fine if you don't care how terrible the store is, how bad the party system is, and the fact that themes went away.

Mmnow

I don't know that I like it any better. I always liked it in terms of looks and was surprised by how many little annoyances there were.

Nothing's really changed, which isn't really a good thing. But ultimately I'm not gonna get too upset just because it's a bit of a faff to find my trophies.

The card system, on the other hand, has been majorly disappointing. Hoped for a bit more, but I only ever see it in passing. It's not been useful in trophy hunting.

Btu I think that's something that'll come into its own when devs get used to it.

Jadsey

No, it’s horrible.

The PS4 UI was superior in every way.

Unbelievably, even the UI on our XSX is now better.

Luckily the PS5 game library will be industry leading, which is the only truly important thing for any system.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
The only thing that needs to move is the friends online icon . Needs to be at the top right of main screen , it doesn't make any sense to be hiding behind the press of a button at the bottom of your screen

mitch1971

It's shit.
Only the last games played on the main page. Give me folders, or let me choose what stays on the front page, or allow more at a time.
Trophy stats are too buried.
The new party system is a ball ache and it does my head in. Give me back the old ps4 party system.
The card system is too big and individual cards take up too much space. Let me make them smaller and have the whole trophy list on the cards instead of 5 or 6 at a time. (The UI is 4k yet the size of everything looks like I'm on window 3.)
And a lot of other things I cant be arsed putting down.
It's poor. Very poor.

Last edited:
I've gotten used to it but I still don't like it. It shit.

It's the simple stuff that could be so much better which has already been mentioned by many others here but it's other stuff too. I tried PSnow since it was $1, and I wanted to change the controls so I could shoot with R2 and not R1 like PS3 games, so I go into the settings/accessibility and change it, which is great, it even has a little on/off switch to quickly go back to the system defaults instead of your custom controls. Then I add accessibility to the quick menu/Control Center, and the accessibility there just takes me all the way back to the settings menu, it doesn't save me any steps really. Normally you would go to settings and then accessibility. By adding it to the Control Center and accessing it from there. You now have to quick press the PS button, go to accessibility, select settings from there and then it just takes you to the accessibility section in the settings, why can't the little on/off switch be there? It's small shit like this that really need to be reworked.

kizito

It awful and I really was a fan of the XMB and PS4 UI.

-Only the last 7 games you've played on the default dock.
-Game Library defaulting to Your Collection rather than Installed
-Game Library doesn't remember your previous selected sort.
-Hitting Start on a game brings up a different menu depending on if you are in your Game Library versus the Dock.
-Hold and Press on the PS Button should give you options to shut the system off, manage devices or close the game.
-Game Base sorts parties first and then friends. This is only annoying because a party will stay open forever if you don't leave it manually.
-Trophies are buried a menu too deep.
-Cards/Activates seems underutilized and thus worthless to the player. Their UI elements are way too large.

Most of the new design feels poorly thought out and like Sony made changes just make changes. It's sad when I enjoy using the Xbox UI more which I actively dislike.
This guy sums it up well, I hate the UI of the PS5. Can't make folders, can't sort games decently, it manages to be almost worse than the PS4 one. I regret the XMB of the PS3, and I seriously prefer the Xbox UI although it's ugly, it's at least super efficient.

Markio128

The PS5 UI is superb in my opinion. It’s snappy and easy to understand. The only thing I miss from the PS4 is the ability to have a dynamic screensaver.

FUBARx89

I'm not fond of it.

They should split friends and messages into seperare catagories again. Not ram them into gamebase.

Still not happy with how they screwed party system up either. But hey ho.

ripeavocado

Banned
I got my PS5 in December after I was able to grab the last preorder available I saw. I turned it on for the first time two weeks later because I was playing Ghost of Tsushima on PS4 and I was finishing it, so I preferred to wait to use the PS5.

The first time I used it, I liked the presentation of the UI, but I thought that it was incomplete, like there's something missing. After some time, I discovered things and features that made me like it better, but I still think it has many things missing from PS4. Right now, when I use my PS4, it does feel a little outdated in terms of visual design, but many things are easier/faster to get to.

What I like about the PS5 UI:
- Visual design
- Trophies now have a consistent square icon (hopefully it does apply to every game)
- Cards/Activities (it took me a little while to understand why they appear like that, but now they make sense and I love them)
-Trophy progress
- Pressing R1 to go to MEDIA
- Pressing triangle to go to "Tools" (Profile, Settings, Search)
- Integrated PS Store
-Trophy list design (many people hate the horizontal scrolling, but I like it)
- Trophy sound (I like this one much better, although it's quieter)
- Control Center (I prefer this to the hold-PS-button-menu on PS4)

What I don't like:
- I hate that there's icons from games that I don't have like Devil May Cry 5. Like, I used a disc, didn't download any DLC, so why is the icon there? I should only have icons from games I downloaded DLC like PS4. Also, need the ability to hide them like on PS4.
- Settings menu is just a copy/paste from PS4. They should redesign it and make it look better.
- Trophy icon should be in Control center or at least in Switcher
- Trophy description cards are small and need to scroll. Should use more space to fit everything in one card without needing to scroll.
- Music from games icons should be independent to home music. (It was like this on PS3, but from PS4 if you turn off Home Screen music, all turns off)
- I don't like how game base is used, but I haven't used it much, so I don't know if it's bad or I just haven't used it enough to know

Of course there's a lot of things that are missing. I suspect PS5 is going to have much more changes than PS4 had. I believe the PS5 was launched with a beta version of the UI. Of course Sony will never tell you that, but it feels like they didn't have to finish it completely so they left many things off and copy/pasted other things from PS4 like the settings menu.

Have you gotten used to the PS5 UI and/or liked it better? You could also post what changes you would like to see in the future (whether urgent or just something you'd like).

no it’s crap

stitch1

I like the PS4 UI better and I didn't really like the PS4 UI. This new one is kind of a mess. Want to turn off your system? Way more clicks. Want to talk with your friends? Way more clicks. It's just a mess.

TexMex

I like it fine. Only real gripes are that the main default page is a bunch of ads which is ugly and annoying.
I also don’t like any part of the trophy display.

Calverz

I like how its 4k hdr. But thats about it. I want dynamic themes and allow me to get rid of the media tab. Let me use the r1 and l1 buttons to quickly shift to the end.
Also activity cards seem to be a mess. There isnt much consistency from game to game to the point where i now completely ignore them and find they just get in the way.
Also what happened to create/share button stuff they hinted at. Its like so basic. Maybe that will be updated down the line? Also rest mode is diabolical. You never know what the fuck might happen when you switch on again.
hard drive needing repaired, unresponsive controller...im sure in time most of this will be fixed

Top Bottom