• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After almost 5 months, have you grown to like the PS5 UI?

BenG

Neo Member
I seriously wish they'd just copy the xbox quick menu.
Xbox-Series-X-Guide.jpg

It's so good that I never even use the homescreen anymore on my xbox. I can hit down and A twice and I get my game library. Below that is the last few games I played which I can go back to right where I left off with quick resume and whatever I might be downloading currently. Hit RT and it scrolls instantly to the bottom with easy access to the store and gamepass app. That's like 90% what I use my system for and I can do it in like at most four button presses. On PS5 everything is spread out everywhere and it takes way more clicks to do anything. I can only do some shit from the homescreen and some stuff from the quick menu vs everything from the quick menu on xbox. Like the store and library are only on opposite ends of the homescreen on PS5 and I have to scroll like 10 spaces between them. And the library app is kinda shit too since it resets any sorting or filtering options you apply every time you go out of it vs the xbox one which remembers everything.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not sure why should I care much, but I prefer it over PS4 and it's snappy. Also the the cards hint mechanic is wonderful and using it on Sackboy now to figure out some hidden shit.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I really don't understand this... It's a launcher you use to select the game you want to play. Why would anyone give even the tiniest fractional fuck about if it's in 4k or not?
Less TV panel blanking and switching display mode between HDR and non HDR content. Photos and videos display more naturally in your gallery, easier to overlay on top of the actual game, it is prettier to navigate the store and the general UI to select the games you want to play in. It is a bad UX mistake to think that the place you might spend 4% of the time in should just be left under loved as it matters little to users or so you think... your UI gets bloated, promotions filled, and slower.

Just because I do not spend most of my time in the OS UI does not mean I do not appreciate it being sharper, more colourful, and pleasant than if it were upscaled from 1080p or 720p like Switch (and kept switching the TV mode from SDR to HDR).

Last edited:

cyen

New UI means having to wait years again for simple features like folders. Visually is nice but it's missing lot of features, it would be preferable to continue with the PS4 one and expand from there like MS.

Kupfer

After almost 5 months, have you grown to like the PS5 UI?​

No, to be honest, I hate it. I find it confusing and have to search every time or at least think about where I have to go beforehand. It's not intuitive and the lack of customisation options is annoying. The best UI back then was the one on the ps3 and PSP, sleek and clear.

RCU005

Less TV panel blanking and switching display mode between HDR and non HDR content. Photos and videos display more naturally in your gallery, easier to overlay on top of the actual game, it is prettier to navigate the store and the general UI to select the games you want to play in. It is a bad UX mistake to think that the place you might spend 4% of the time in should just be left under loved as it matters little to users or so you think... your UI gets bloated, promotions filled, and slower.

Just because I do not spend most of my time in the OS UI does not mean I do not appreciate it being sharper, more colourful, and pleasant than if it were upscaled from 1080p or 720p like Switch (and kept switching the TV mode from SDR to HDR).
I don't care that the OS is HDR, but I hate that it is ALWAYS ON HDR! If the game is not HDR you shouldn't have it ON, that simple! I really hope Sony fix that fast!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I don't care that the OS is HDR, but I hate that it is ALWAYS ON HDR! If the game is not HDR you shouldn't have it ON, that simple! I really hope Sony fix that fast!
That in a less angry tone would be fine sure, if the final game is very negatively affected. Most of the time this has not hurt as possibly all the games I have played on it so far (even PS4 ones) support HDR and look great.

Valonquar

After complaining about it in various UI related threads I figured out something about the PS5 UI's home screen. I have been getting a shitton of Fortnite and Fall Guys related feeds every time I login even though I never play those games. It turns out that you can get rid of a lot of that shit!

There's no rhyme or reason to it, but it seems like for some games in your purchase library, the PS5 is automatically "Following" feeds for your games, and depending on the game, some are using the Follow feature to send you daily ads. Go into your library, select a game that is spamming your home screen. On the game's main page, hit the "..." button and select to unfollow. I had to go through my entire 300+ game library and unfollow a whole bunch of random shit I'd never need to see feeds for. I could not discern a reason behind most of the ones that were followed. Many, but not all PS+ freebies auto-followed, games I've never installed on PS5 auto-followed, and some I had installed did not auto-follow.

After clearing all my follow tags on games, I still get random video feeds, but they are much more general news feeds like the PS Youtube channel, vs a Fortnite or Fall Guys ad every damn day. Progress but still not great.

Last edited:
It’s fetid s*** compared to what the XSX or PS4 have. No folders, no way to hide unwanted icons that you have to scroll over, can’t see what disk is in the drive, finding what’s truly installed is a f*****g chore.

The good news is that this can all be fixed with a little forethought, planning, and proverbial elbow grease. The XSX is vastly superior, mainly because they refined the experience over the life of the XBO/XBO:X. Sony *should* have went with the “if it ain’t broke” approach, but they didn’t.

I will say it’s nice that the store doesn’t take forever to load now (like on the PS4). And cards are okay...but when you can’t select shutoff/standby with just a long press of the PS button...c’mon, your interface is needlessly cumbersome.

Jokerevo

Banned
I really don't understand this... It's a launcher you use to select the game you want to play. Why would anyone give even the tiniest fractional fuck about if it's in 4k or not?
Lmao. Triggered huh? The real question is why the worlds most powerful console is not even capable of rendering its UI in native 4k hdr...

Silvawuff

I'll let you know when I can find one for MSRP.

It'll probably get stability updates at least, while the rest of us are all waiting.

RCU005

wish it was easier to get to Trophies, should be its own entry on the quick menu bar.

Many people are missing the point of cards. They show the cards that are available to you at the moment you are at the game. For example, if you have a trophy that you can do in level 1, and you are in level 1, the card for the trophy will show. When you are in level 2 it will not show (or at least it will show at the end of the list).

You are not supposed to go to trophies while playing because that's what the cards are for. In control they work perfectly, and whenever I want to check the progress of a trophy the card is right there. It also worked perfectly in Astro's Playroom. I've never had a situation when I want to check a relevant trophy and there's not a card right there when pressing the PS Button. Of course developers need to implement this correctly, and I really hope they do. In fact it should be mandatory.

HOWEVER, they should still have an icon in the quick menu that works like it did on PS4 for PS4 games and games that don't support cards (or just to have the option, even if it'd be redundant).

Trimesh

Banned
Lmao. Triggered huh? The real question is why the worlds most powerful console is not even capable of rendering its UI in native 4k hdr...

It's fascinating how brain-dead shit-eating console warriors always assume everyone else is one too.

It annoyed me at first, but I got to the hang of it pretty fast... Still think they should just have kept more of the PS4 UI, it's so streamlined.

I hope they figure out how to create folders again soon, because browsing the whole library gets old really fast.

Top Bottom