• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After DS reached the first place on IGN's user Game of the Year awards, IGN begged people to stop voting for DS, then removed the poll completely

GHG

Gold Member
IGN be like:

8e0

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That is pretty pathetic on IGN's part. Why bother even holding a user poll at all if you're just going to disregard user votes?

Came to post this... I don't really give a damn about IGN's awards or reviews, but what is the point of having user votes if you're going to rig it? Unless they had evidence that Death Stranding was getting a bunch of illegitimate spam/bot votes...

nowhat

I should clarify that IGN does not pay mods there. I'm a "senior" mod there and we don't "work" for IGN. We volunteer our time to mod the place.

This will be a fun discussion...
So has/will there be an internal discussion on this? Because this looks really bad on behalf of IGN, whether it was a decision from above or just a rogue mod.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
"You can't like what I don't like!" Differing opinions aren't respected anymore. It seems a natural side effect of the disappearance of nuance.

Welcome to the Social media age, where being so connected makes us think we "MUST" all agree on every issue. We can't handle different opinions anymore.

So has/will there be an internal discussion on this? Because this looks really bad on behalf of IGN, whether it was a decision from above or just a rogue mod.

There will have to be.

Then you have not played the game obviously so you have no idea what you're saying because you are saying the exact same thing all the people who disliked the game before it even came out, and then even more said on its launch day. It's the same knee jerk mindless thoughtless remark they all made also.

And if you did actually play it yourself then you didn't play it very much because at chapter 3 the game really opens up and so does its world.

I'm playing it and rather enjoy its oddness. Nice to see a aaa game be different instead bland and generic. It's not perfect but it's way better than most of the big budget games this year.
I’m glad you’re enjoying the game. It does seem different from most other games. I don’t take video game awards seriously so I try to make light of the whole situation. Having seen people get frustrated dropping their packages 📦 playing this game was quite comical in itself. Hence the movie reference. 😄. Happy Holidays, Good Sir!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Why do people get so upset over this game

Fear of the new and different.

Quite honestly I think a lot of people never really get past the thing they once liked so much, to the extent they lavish praise on later entries in series even when they evidently have issues. RE2R is a good game, but GOTY good? Really?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think who the developer plays an important role, and I also think Mods lock in on stupid posts all the time.

imsosleepy

After IGN gave Last Jedi a 9.7/10 I stopped taking their reviews of anything seriously. In fact, if they dislike something that means there's a good chance that it's actually really good.
haha yea that 9.7 really was a bit to much....

Its a shame they are the biggest game media site. Their reviews get millions of views unfortunately

MiguelItUp

I dont get this braindead reasoning, would you help me please?

If Sekiro didn't have Miyazaki name would anybody give a shit about it?
Eh, I guess some people that can't accept the fact that individual opinions exist, not some bizarre hive-mind opinion.

Exactly. If Sekiro wasn't Miyazaki and essentially a Souls mod, no one would've cared like they did, lol.

Grinchy

Banned
So, if a bunch of random users banded together to vote any other game instead, would they have taken the poll down?

The answer to that tells you whether IGN cares about the accuracy of some stupid poll or if this is specifically about Death Stranding. I know where my assumption lies.

Last edited:

Tipton32

Played and finished it. It’s not the worst game by any means but it does get stale after a while. I truly don’t understand what makes the gameplay loop fun after the first few times, and even then it wasn’t like I was having a blast. If Death Stranding did anything for me, it set a precedence for how much tedium players are willing to take in their games. So ideally I’d hope people will have the same leniency with other games going forward now.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Played and finished it. It’s not the worst game by any means but it does get stale after a while. I truly don’t understand what makes the gameplay loop fun after the first few times, and even then it wasn’t like I was having a blast. If Death Stranding did anything for me, it set a precedence for how much tedium players are willing to take in their games. So ideally I’d hope people will have the same leniency with other games going forward now.
That's exactly how I feel about any GTA.

Opinions. 🤷🏾‍♂️

I mean it's not a good game and there are better games, but the mods should have known based on recent weeks that people would troll the poll, now he's done another unintelligent thing to make his mistake become even worse. He will be removed shortly for his incompetence.

Then we will laugh.

This game would never be as popular or successful if Kojima’s name wasn’t plastered all over it. But I have long since taken IGN seriously so this doesn’t affect me. If people want to play a boring 40 hours walking simulator then who am I to judge

Last edited:

Neff

"Stop voting for Death Stranding because I don't like it"

Interesting poll

i do agree that nobody would care about this game if it didn't have Kojimbo's name plastered over it.

Kojima's signature is all over it. Without that signature, there'd be almost no game left.

If this game came out of the blue from a no-name developer/publisher, people would be saying Kojima made it on the sly. It'd be Joakim Mogren all over again.

Last edited:
That's soooo modern journalism. There is a correct choice, and it falls on the wise, all-knowing gatekeeper journalist to guide the lowly masses to the right "truth."

You could switch a modern gaming journalist and a modern news journalist and there would be no noticeable difference, in terms of gaming ability and in terms of shaping the information they share towards a desired outcome.

tassletine

Kojima is trolling hard with this game. When I play it I think of the rocks like cars, I may as well be dodging traffic in GTA. It feels the same. The controls and the gameplay are exceptional. The way the game opens up, constantly throwing new puzzles, things to do at you. It’s a driving game, shoot em up, parkour / mountain climbing / biking /snowboarding / inventory management horror sci-fi comedy. Play it so many ways.

That he wrapped it all up in such a dull premise makes me giggle. Doubly so when I realise that a lot of people can’t get past the superficial aspect. There are flaws — far too many button presses and crappy dialogue, but there‘s more than enough to do if you put your mind to it and don’t just blindly play through.

However, if you were a reviewer and had to play this at speed it could soon become a mess. Without some forward planning, the game could easily wear you down, especially if you had a deadline to meet. I cant stop playing it and I almost didn’t buy the thing because of the IGN review (which clearly shows what a fool the reviewer is being) It’s game of the year material. That IGN had an article about how the game gets good after you beat it, shows they weren’t playing it properly during the review.

Top Bottom