• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After Ghost of Tsushima .. I’m playing Now RE3 Remake in Japanese

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
The 🇯🇵 voice in Ghost of Tsushima was just incredible and thank god I finished the game with that ..

Now I’m replying RE3 Remake for the second time in 🇯🇵 Aaaaand it’s pretty good tbh

will you give it a chance and play it in 🇯🇵 voice ?
Did anyone finish it with that ? If yes then how did you find it ?

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Why would you play a game set in America in Japanese? Weren't the originals only in English, even in Japan?

It’s not only about that .. many played Ghost of Tsushima in English and still pretty good , that’s why I said I’m replying the game in Japanese to see how it goes

Vawn

Banned
Yes, they actually were. Weirdly enough.

I can see how that'd make the game creepier.

My understanding the voices were done by Japanese actors who didn't know what they were saying. And judging by the quality of the acting, that makes sense.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm planing to play 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim in Japanese because the JP voice in Odin Sphere was phenomenal but also just like GhoT the game takes place in Japan, it much more natural for character to speak Japanese.

You should try Nier Automata with the Japanese va, it's pretty good.
Most of the time character are speaking while you are fighting so its gonna be much harder read the subtitle and also english voices in Automata is pretty good, I especially liked english voice for 9S.

Last edited:

Umbral

I'm planing to play 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim in Japanese because the JP voice in Odin Sphere was phenomenal but also just like GhoT the game takes place in Japan, it much more natural to speak Japanese.

Most of the time character are speaking while you are fighting so its gonna be much harder read the subtitle and also english voices in Automata is pretty good, I especially likes english voice for 9S.
That’s exactly why I switched back to English. Too hectic to read while fighting.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
To be fair I did it for my second playthrough. The quality of the Japanese VA surprised me.
Yeah, if you played the game before and know the dialogues then yeah, go for it. The JP voiced also really good.

Reactions: GHG

Vaelka

Why would you play a game set in America in Japanese? Weren't the originals only in English, even in Japan?

Usually I find that voice acting in games is better when it's the native voice acting for the devs, having the devs guide the voice actors more closely makes a huge difference.
I have no clue about RE3 or RE2 tho I played them in English there's definitely exceptions and when the voice acting is better in the reverse. Maybe I am just damaged from all the shitty Anime and Movie dubs.
But I definitely think that it's true in games too, I don't really get the people who like the English dub of Nier Automata for example.
To me the English dub sounds so fake and like the voice actors are trying too hard, it doesn't sound like their real voice.

It sorta reminds me a bit of Kevin Spacey in House of Cards, his performance comes across as so fake to me and like an actor obnoxiously trying to act cool. He doesn't come across like a real person to me at all and it's usually the same in English dubs.
Like when you have younger characters for example it's really obvious that it's an adult trying to talk like a young person or when you have some cute monster character with a squeaky voice it just sound like a woman in her 40's trying to make funny voices.
Or women who are basically told to act like a '' strong female character '' and they try way too hard and it just sounds ridiculous.

Maybe it's the same In Japanese, but if you don't speak Japanese then it might be less obvious I guess.
It sorta masks it.
But I think that good voice acting makes it sound natural, a lot of the English dubs in media tho sound like the actor is about to shit themselves because they're putting on a fake voice for hours on end.
I get way less of that in Japanese voice acting.

Haram, english language makes the charm of the RE series:

I miss goofy RE costumes :(...

Last edited:

Skifi28

I often prefer the Japanese voiceover myself, but the lip syncing in Ghost made it tough to wether. English was good enough.

E.T. Waifu

I did play it in Japanese in my 6th playthrough or something. It's fine, but English is better, especially Jill. Carlos sounds the exact same in both language, it's funny.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yup, played GoT with the japanese VA. Didn't understand a thing but samurai blabbery sounds cool as fuck in japanese.

It also seemed to be the most fitting option, as the game takes place in Japan.

Lethal01

It doesn't really matter to me what language the character should be speaking.

I play the version that's closest to the writer, having to go through translation just creates to many issues to count. I have tons of respect for anyone who has to do it of course, it's very challenging work. But I come for the best product I can get, not the one that was the hardest to create.

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

If a game offers Japanese voice I take it every time, no matter what game it is.
I'm learning Japanese though, so its more for helping with the immersion and exposure time.

Self

I often prefer the Japanese voiceover myself, but the lip syncing in Ghost made it tough to wether. English was good enough.
Yeah, lipsync problem was very significant in GoT. Totally messed with the Immersion. Choosing actors with asian accent was okay for me.

Paracelsus

wODfHRQ.png

As someone who speaks a little Japanese, I usually enable the Japanese voice option, if available. The voice acting in GoT is very good IMO.

Last edited:

Jedge

Pretty much always go for Japanese voice acting with English subtitles.
For Ghost of Tsushima, it was the same voice actor that did Hijikata from Gintama - I was sold.

Carna

Banned
English Dub fans:
>ugh fuckin weeb
>Personal Preference
>Muh Erica Linebeck
>YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND JAPANESE! THEREFORE YOU CAN'T TELL IF IT'S GOOD
>I don't care if they reuse the same voice actors for everything, as long as the actor is "good" (note doesn't say "fit the character")
>I pay for my anime, if funimation doesn't carry that anime on their service, I guess you shouldn't even watch on illegal streaming sites regardless. Tough Shit.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Usually I find that voice acting in games is better when it's the native voice acting for the devs, having the devs guide the voice actors more closely makes a huge difference.
I have no clue about RE3 or RE2 tho I played them in English there's definitely exceptions and when the voice acting is better in the reverse. Maybe I am just damaged from all the shitty Anime and Movie dubs.
But I definitely think that it's true in games too, I don't really get the people who like the English dub of Nier Automata for example.
To me the English dub sounds so fake and like the voice actors are trying too hard, it doesn't sound like their real voice.

It sorta reminds me a bit of Kevin Spacey in House of Cards, his performance comes across as so fake to me and like an actor obnoxiously trying to act cool. He doesn't come across like a real person to me at all and it's usually the same in English dubs.
Like when you have younger characters for example it's really obvious that it's an adult trying to talk like a young person or when you have some cute monster character with a squeaky voice it just sound like a woman in her 40's trying to make funny voices.
Or women who are basically told to act like a '' strong female character '' and they try way too hard and it just sounds ridiculous.

Maybe it's the same In Japanese, but if you don't speak Japanese then it might be less obvious I guess.
It sorta masks it.
But I think that good voice acting makes it sound natural, a lot of the English dubs in media tho sound like the actor is about to shit themselves because they're putting on a fake voice for hours on end.
I get way less of that in Japanese voice acting.

I miss goofy RE costumes :(...

Ghost of Tsushima was made by Western Devs though...

CrysisFreak

Banned
Superior Japanese voice acting is unbeatable, baka gaijin voices were not recorded a thousand times like Japanese voice lines, Bushido code make us best in conveying emotion.
White piggu go home with your bad voice.

Amaranty

I think VA in a foreign language that you don't understand will usually sound completely normal to you, even if a native speaker says it's quite bad. That's why some people like playing games with a foreign VA, because the English version is so cringy.

sublimit

Banned
Playing RE in Japanese is like wanting to play Yakuza like a Dragon in English. Equally ridiculous.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I usually play every japanese game or anime looking game with jap dub, but i loved jin's english voice and i can't take seriously the zoro jap va...

For re remake i prefer the english tbh.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
The 🇯🇵 voice in Ghost of Tsushima was just incredible and thank god I finished the game with that ..

Now I’m replying RE3 Remake for the second time in 🇯🇵 Aaaaand it’s pretty good tbh

will you give it a chance and play it in 🇯🇵 voice ?
Did anyone finish it with that ? If yes then how did you find it ?
Does your phone autocorrect "Japanese" to an emoji? If so does it also fuck up formatting of, what is basically, a three sentence post, complete with unnecessary ellipsis and spaces? How do you feel about butchering the English language like that? Is 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 not your native tongue?

Last edited:
Whatever floats your boat but the fact that RE3 is set in a US based city and hearing Americans speaking Japanese is odd to me. I know I am nitpicking but it's really odd to me. It would be vice versa if the Yakuza games with Japanese characters speaking in English with an American accent. Sense of realism for me.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Does your phone autocorrect "Japanese" to an emoji? If so does it also fuck up formatting of, what is basically, a three sentence post, complete with unnecessary ellipsis and spaces? How do you feel about butchering the English language like that? Is 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 not your native tongue?

Feel free
to report
the thread
to staff
if you feel

offended

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Whatever floats your boat but the fact that RE3 is set in a US based city and hearing Americans speaking Japanese is odd to me. I know I am nitpicking but it's really odd to me. It would be vice versa if the Yakuza games with Japanese characters speaking in English with an American accent. Sense of realism for me.

Yeah you right but I needed something to make me go again , the Japanese voice option was the first choice so I tried that . I really like what I’m hearing so far

As a general rule of thumb I will use English if it’s good. I speak English primarily, why would I want to understand the dialogue less?

Edit: there’s something funny about people on an enthusiast site not understanding why someone would play Resident Evil in Japanese though.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Feel free
to report
the thread
to staff
if you feel

offended
No amount of reporting can make up for the fact that you have lowered my IQ by quite the amount. I didn't have a lot to work with in the first place so I hope you're happy with this outcome.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
No amount of reporting can make up for the fact that you have lowered my IQ by quite the amount. I didn't have a lot to work with in the first place so I hope you're happy with this outcome.
[/QUOTE ]
Why the whining then ?

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I usually play every japanese game or anime looking game with jap dub, but i loved jin's english voice and i can't take seriously the zoro jap va...

For re remake i prefer the english tbh.

For my second playthrough of Ghost of Tsushima , I will go with English voice acting and I’m sure it will be as good as Japanese

OneBigPuss

When im playing GoT with japanise dub im fully immersed in this world.I feel like a little samurai.Arigato Ghost of Tsushima!

Elcid

Banned
Why the hell would you want to listen to Japanese? It's a very whiny sounding language. Can't stand it personally. Whenever I have to watch subbed anime I'm like :pie_eyeroll:

Top Bottom