• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After launching with no multiplayer, No Man's Sky is in the middle of its largest PvP battle

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.polygon.com/22430818/no...c-war-roleplay-fan-creation-regicide-campaign

wjXZD8.jpg

While much of No Man’s Sky space is a peaceful place to explore, one galaxy has declared an intergalactic war. Now, role-players are choosing sides and preparing to contest the systems in an isolated corner of the map, known as galaxy 150, in a giant showdown that may last months.

No Man’s Sky gives players a few destructive tools, like blasters for ground combat and rockets for starships. Mostly, players use these weapons against Sentinels or aggressive predators. But if players meet in the world, they can attack each other as well, and claim the inventory of fallen foes.

It’s still the opening days for this campaign, so there have been few major battles thus far. Some players are staying on a settled planet to build critical infrastructure, while others are taking to the skies to scout and claim territory. As the war develops, factions may have to defend their territory against other players. No one is truly safe from the chaos.

The Korvax already have pilots carefully patrolling their borders. One member of the Vy’keen made the mistake of warping into Korvax space, only to be shot down. If he wanted to survive, he would have needed to radio ahead and ask for permission to enter the area.

The Vy’keen are building vast battle arenas on their homeworlds. Members of this warrior culture can climb the ranks and win glory by engaging in one-on-one combat with opponents. Diplomats from every faction in the region are signing tentative treaties and trying to maintain a fragile peace.

There are multiple ways in which players can prepare for war. Some people are starship pilots, focusing on drills so they can shoot down enemy ships. Other people roam planets, looking for the biggest possible beasts to use as mounts in war. Even the most inexperienced player can contribute to combat by becoming a foot soldier. It’s a hostile environment, and players new to the campaign enter a galaxy where it’s all smiles above the table, but hidden knives are kept ready beneath for the eventual all-out war.

While the three main factions wage war, smaller groups build up their power. A destructive group of biological raiders known as the Horde are slowly stretching out, creating a base of operations that will allow them to scour the galaxy. The long-standing White Noise criminal syndicate has also joined the fray, along with its powerful military, trained assassins, and resources — and they’re available for hire. Some players are independent traders, coming to the war-torn galaxy so they can sell high-value goods to desperate buyers, like huge amounts of raw minerals or high-end combat modules for ships.

Players use the campaign’s Discord to brag about their in-game exploits, work out trading deals with other groups, and joke about enemy factions. A leader might show off the verdant fields of their homeworld, or a new stronghold they’ve built. As time passes, and each group’s reach grows further and further over the 150 systems in the galaxy, large-scale conflict will become inevitable.

SpokkX

How does this even ”work”? How many players can actually meet at the same time?

if 1000 players are in the same exakt space will they now be divided up in smaller sessions of 16 or 32 etc?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I haven't played the game since about when MP was added, but this is really cool. How many people can actually be in one instance? I thought it was like 4 or 8, which wouldn't make these battles very epic.

I remember picking this up because they said it was a single-player game about exploring the universe as a lone explorer.

Now you have to join multiplayer missions to earn special currency to unlock skins.

You don't *have* to do any of that, though.

It's nice for the people that want to.

TheMan

How does this even ”work”? How many players can actually meet at the same time?

if 1000 players are in the same exakt space will they now be divided up in smaller sessions of 16 or 32 etc?
Good question. As far as I know, nothing like the huge battles you can read about in EVE are possible here.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
So glad that they stuck with the game and have evolved it so much. Haven't really spent any significant time with it, but I do plan on jumping back in one day if I can convince a buddy or two to co-op it with me.

Top Bottom