After Mattis, US envoy Brett McGurk also quits over Trump Syria pullout

EssKayZee

Nov 20, 2018
Source: BBC

The top US official in the fight against the Islamic State group has quit over President Trump's decision to pull troops from Syria, reports say.

Brett McGurk had planned to leave his role next year but brought his departure forward, CBS and AP reported.

Mr McGurk's departure follows the abrupt resignation of Defence Secretary Jim Mattis, who had opposed withdrawing troops from Syria and reducing the US presence in Afghanistan.

Arkage

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2012
In his resignation letter, seen by AP news agency, Mr McGurk said that IS militants in Syria were on the run but not yet defeated. He said that withdrawing US forces from Syria would create the conditions that gave rise to IS.

In an email to staff quoted by the New York Times, he said Mr Trump's decision to pull out troops "came as a shock and was a complete reversal of policy". It "left our coalition partners confused and our fighting partners bewildered", he said.

"I ultimately concluded I could not carry out these new instructions and maintain my integrity," he went on to say.
Trump should just roll out a "mission accomplished" banner like Bush did. Seems fitting.

Last edited:

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
Good. These people only want us in Syria so we can take out Assad after another fake gas attack.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Assad is also battling against ISIS, but Assad is evilbadman regime. Huh. :pie_thinking:

I just find it amusing how we simultaneously say that we're fighting ISIS but also trying to stop Assad...

But hey. I guess anything goes when Obama sends our troops into a war even after Congress refused to approve it back in 2013. Probably for the best that we get the warmongers out.

HenkDV

Aug 11, 2018
Assad is also battling against ISIS, but Assad is evilbadman regime. Huh. :pie_thinking:

I just find it amusing how we simultaneously say that we're fighting ISIS but also trying to stop Assad...
Could you go into more detail on what you mean with these two sentences? Fighting ISIS doesn't automatically make you not an "evilbadman regime" and supporting troops to fight ISIS and Assad aren't mutually exclusive. Maybe I'm missing what you're saying.

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
Assad is still in power, and still has regional allies to help him, so how is this anywhere similar to toppling Saddam or Gaddafi? There is no power vacuum.

Sounds like another MIC parasite salty over the gravy train being halted. McCain and all of those sorts wanted to create a power vacuum there and in Iran to keep up the infinite war cycle.

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
Could you go into more detail on what you mean with these two sentences? Fighting ISIS doesn't automatically make you not an "evilbadman regime" and supporting troops to fight ISIS and Assad aren't mutually exclusive. Maybe I'm missing what you're saying.
Why would you fight both sides in a war? Seems stupid, especially when one side is neutral towards you (Assad) and is actively killing those who aren't (ISIS and the various non-ISIS Islamist rebels).

HenkDV

Aug 11, 2018
Why would you fight both sides in a war? Seems stupid, especially when one side is neutral towards you (Assad) and is actively killing those who aren't (ISIS and the various non-ISIS Islamist rebels).
You say "both sides" like there's only two.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Are you saying we should remain in the country to fight Assad? Because the stated goal which sent our troops to Syria was to root out ISIS.

Assad also wants to root out ISIS. This fact makes it all the more amusing that certain folks paint him as the bad guy in the Syrian conflict. It's almost as if destabilization is the goal. Wouldn't be the first second third fourth fifth twelfth time we've done it to a foreign country.

I'm not saying the two are mutually exclusive, but that's a red herring. Now that ISIS has been handled, we shouldn't continue a conflict that Congress refused to permit us to be involved with in the first place.

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
You say "both sides" like there's only two.
There pretty much are. The few secular moderate rebels are going to either be executed if Assad wins, or quickly overthrown and beheaded if they somehow win by ISIS and the other Islamists. They are doomed either way, and lack infrastructure to build a stable country without depending on the US.

HenkDV

Aug 11, 2018
Are you saying we should remain in the country to fight Assad? Because the stated goal which sent our troops to Syria was to root out ISIS.

Assad also wants to root out ISIS. This fact makes it all the more amusing that certain folks paint him as the bad guy in the Syrian conflict. It's almost as if destabilization is the goal. Wouldn't be the first second third fourth fifth twelfth time we've done it to a foreign country.

I'm not saying the two are mutually exclusive, but that's a red herring. Now that ISIS has been handled, we shouldn't continue a conflict that Congress refused to permit us to be involved with in the first place.
I don't know if the US should stay or not. It's been an issue with a lot of these countries where the US (and other western countries) gets painted as the bad guys either for not doing anything or doing too much. There've been numerous reports about the Syrian government treating their population very poorly (to put it mildly) by the UN, Amnesty International, the Human Rights Watch and others that I think there's a legitimate case for saying that Assad needs to be done away with. (again, not saying this is my point of view) The fact that Assad wants to get rid of ISIS doesn't suddenly make him the a US ally or a 'good' guy (whatever that means). Whether it's worth it in the end to actually try to get rid of the current government and whether the US' motives are even remotely pure or honest is always the question of course.

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
I don't know if the US should stay or not. It's been an issue with a lot of these countries where the US (and other western countries) gets painted as the bad guys either for not doing anything or doing too much. There've been numerous reports about the Syrian government treating their population very poorly (to put it mildly) by the UN, Amnesty International, the Human Rights Watch and others that I think there's a legitimate case for saying that Assad needs to be done away with. (again, not saying this is my point of view) The fact that Assad wants to get rid of ISIS doesn't suddenly make him the a US ally or a 'good' guy (whatever that means). Whether it's worth it in the end to actually try to get rid of the current government and whether the US' motives are even remotely pure or honest is always the question of course.
The U.N. has no credibility. It's an evil, and corrupt organization. Trump should pull the United States out of it.

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
Any chance you can tell us the appropriate way to leave a war in the Middle East?

Obama and Bush are with me to take notes.
Trump Derangement Syndrome is real. The only leftists I have any kind of respect for are the Jimmy Dore types.

Dude Abides

Apr 8, 2009
Any chance you can tell us the appropriate way to leave a war in the Middle East?

Obama and Bush are with me to take notes.
Tell your allies in advance. Work out a withdrawal schedule. Don't give free reign to Islamists to crush long-time US allies.

You know, thoughtful planning based on facts rather than knee-jerk emotion. Not something Trumpers are familiar with, I realize.

Trump Derangement Syndrome is real. The only leftists I have any kind of respect for are the Jimmy Dore types.
Why would you respect Jimmy Dore? He hasn't killed anyone with a car as far as I'm aware.