• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After Newtown, Gamer Calls for Online Shooter 'Ceasefire'

Why? This is just paying respect.

Agreed, it's a nice showing of solidarity, and it proves to the mainstream media that not all people who play (violent) videogames are mindless peons slowly being converted into ticking time bombs. It's not an implication of guilt, it's a showing of compassion and a recognition of the potentialities of violent games in the media no matter how minor/causal.

Maybe if the person who started this wasn't a nobody it might gain some traction. Do people in other countries even care about American tragedies? This was poorly thought out.

I'd rather somebody(or a group) organize a gaming marathon via stream. Like what Speed Demos Archive does occasionally. There would be several days of people playing through various games, and the proceeds that are raised could go towards the victims of the Sandy Hook tragedy(or some related charity).

Do people in other countries even care about American tragedies?
Are you shitting me?

zkylon

zkylewd
what I don't like about it, is that he's telling me how I should pay respects. a ceasefire only works if EVERYONE ceases fire. what's the news story going to be about this on Friday? how empty would the servers have to be for the news press to not slate us?

now we're going to look bad, because one person tried to get everyone to pay respects in the same exact way.

so yeah, I'm not happy at him trying to call a ceasefire.
It's just like a minute of silence, no one is forcing you to do anything, it'd just be nice if people could get together and concede the victims a moment of respect. If you have a better way of doing it suit yourself, I think his idea is kind of clever.

he played Starcraft and Warcraft.
no I will not put my mouse down until all the gun enthusiasts, "hunters" (because I personally believe that shooting animals desensetizes you more than any game you can play) and the like put their very real guns down for a whole month at the bare minimum. at most these lover sof the second amendment should stop buying guns for a month to show they are sincere.
No argument against that, I personally think hunting for sport should be banned entirely, since killing for pleasure, no matter what you kill, is a sick thing to do, but I don't see how there's a connection to this.

Angry Fork

I think it's nice if it could work but it won't because there are a lot of people that will use that moment to troll and ruin it.

Remember when those world of warcraft people held a virtual funeral for a friend that died and some group came and raided the entire thing and killed everyone. It was funny but still fucked up.

I guess it's kind of like a double standard of sorts. A moment of silence in the sports game is okay, because no one thinks basketball lead to this. A ceasefire for videogames is just "Yeah, video games are part of the problem" even though that's not the point. Some people will just take it that way.

exactly why I will advocate "gamers" DONT put controllers down and prepare for the end if the world with their favorite games, be it Journey or Call of Duty.

videogames were never the problem here, and people who claim they were in the slightest: are wrong.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Attackers win Gold Rush mode every round for the day, confirmed.

Unless I join a knife only server, then I'm not firing rounds?

This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. America takes this stuff way too far. It's a sad tragedy, but people die everyday. Doing shit like this just mean the terrorist win because it shows how there actions effect everybody's day to day life. Let the family members mourn and move on. It's not like we do this shit for the hundreds of people who die everyday all around the world.

Mileena

Banned
yea this is terrible :lol

Let's go on CoD and just hug guys
uPc0Z.gif

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
So god damned cynical.

So if a violent movie moves its release date that's a tacit admission of guilt? And when Motorstorm Apocalypse delayed its release because of the tsunami in Japan, that was an admission of guilt or a marketing ploy?

Grow up, seriously. Just don't do it if you think its useless or beneath you, but some of the reasoning here is crazy. Its a simple gesture and doesn't have to represent everything in the world.

We're talking about one day where you don't celebrate headshots and kill/death ratios, out of respect for the events and the families and those lost. It makes sense whether the killer had anything to do with gaming or not.

It doesn't have to represent everything in the world, but this is an ill advised move and , as a gamer, i don't think a virtual ceasefire does anything to help us.

You take a look from the outside, as a non gamer, and tell me how that looks. Other than being absolutely crazy and borderline meaningless, what message does it send? A -virtual ceasefire- ?

I'm all for doing something - but not this. Personally , as a father, i haven't been able to stop running this thing through my head over and over again since the news broke and i don't need a virtual ceasefire to sit down and have some deep thoughts about this.

So yeah - i think it's others that need to grow up - if this is the gaming communities idea of showing solidarity and respect then.... fuck me. And yes, i understand this is to draw attention and get people to reflect. As a group we need a reminder for that? :/

Derrick01

Banned
If this actually worked I guess the next killer can tack on "took down COD for a day" to the list of reasons why he should go on a rampage instead of simply offing himself along with "make the president cry" and "get on TV for a month".

entremet

It doesn't have to represent everything in the world, but this is an ill advised move and , as a gamer, i don't think a virtual ceasefire does anything to help us.

You take a look from the outside, as a non gamer, and tell me how that looks. Other than being absolutely crazy and borderline meaningless, what message does it send? A -virtual ceasefire- ?

I'm all for doing something - but not this. Personally , as a father, i haven't been able to stop running this thing through my head over and over again since the news broke and i don't need a virtual ceasefire to sit down and have some deep thoughts about this.

So yeah - i think it's others that need to grow up - if this is the gaming communities idea of showing solidarity and respect then.... fuck me.

Yep.

Sorry, I mean, more power to someone wanting to hold a moment of silence in their own way, but this just rubs me the wrong way, the banner especially. It seems less like making a statement and more like apologizing for who you are when you've done nothing wrong.

It kind of makes me wonder if mental illness being grossly misunderstood in a society must also mean sanity is as well.

It might not be a bad idea for gamers to do this to show remorse. Their public image could use some improving.
It's not the sentiment of the message I think is stupid, it's the idea that "gamers" are a group of people that need to band together and convey a unified message. I play quite a bit of games. It's still a small aspect of my life that I feel doesn't define me in any way.

This call makes games seem ridiculous too. If you want to improve public perception of gamers, do it by explaining that the fun of an fps is competing in a game that challenges motor skill, special awareness, the ability to make decisions quickly, etc. This, to me, makes it seem as though the violence is the main appeal, that it is somehow linked to the shooting, and that people who play games need to be apologetic. There has NEVER been a study linking violent media with an increased proclivity to act violently. This is the same as asking people not to read or listen to music for a day in order to "help the cause" (the "I won't just ignore it" line is offensive to me, if this isn't nothing it's a hair away).

Really though if this guy is so worried about gamers' public image he should play games and live a normal life. Not be afraid to talk about gaming, bring it up on conversation, ask friends and coworkers if they game. There's no need for the defensive "Look at me! I game AND work out! I'm normal! Even though I game!" routine.

Amory

Calling it a "ceasefire" is so goddamn stupid. You're not actually out there fighting a war every day when you play call of duty. Just call it taking a day off from playing a shooter to show your respect, or whatever. Using the word "ceasefire" just implies you take the game way too seriously in the first place.

NateDrake

It might not be a bad idea for gamers to do this to show remorse. Their public image could use some improving.

Gamers do the Extra Life charity 24hr gaming marathon drive every year. In 2012 it earned over $2 million.

I understand the reasoning behind this cease-fire and it's a nice gesture, but it doesn't serve a purpose in the grand-scheme of things. At the end of this cease-fire day what was accomplished?

I'm literally asking if Japanese 360 owners will stop playing Lost Planet because of a violent act thousands of miles away. I'm going to guess that the answer is no. It's grotesquely arrogant to ask this of the entire Xbox live community (I say this as an American citizen), and it's borderline insulting the way people have been deflecting the very real discussions we need to be having about (mental) health care and gun ownership. This is one of the shallowest, laziest things you can do in the wake of a tragedy in which actual real people were murdered in cold blood. You want to make a difference? Donate to the families. Write your congressman. Don't say "I'm gonna play Minecraft and NSMB tonight, finish up my CoD domination this weekend."

beast786

By not playing a game?

I see this just as a universal "moment of silence" from a particular community. No harm in this.

Ok ,I can get this.

Just seems very superficial. But that is what "moment of silence" are anyway. I hope people use this incident to educate about how we create violence around the world and time comes when you cant just leave what you do outside of US and think it has no effect inside.

I'm literally asking if Japanese 360 owners will stop playing Lost Planet because of a violent act thousands of miles away. I'm going to guess that the answer is no. It's grotesquely arrogant to ask this of the entire Xbox live community (I say this as an American citizen), and it's borderline insulting the way people have been deflecting the very real discussions we need to be having about (mental) health care and gun ownership. This is one of the shallowest, laziest things you can do in the wake of a tragedy in which actual real people were murdered in cold blood. You want to make a difference? Donate to the families. Write your congressman. Don't say "I'm gonna play Minecraft and NSMB tonight, finish up my CoD domination this weekend."

This has nothing to do with frontiers. And I Agree with you, like I said before that this has nothing to do with games, but why you keep questioning that someone will not care about a tragedy like this because he lives in Japan, Spain or Tombuctu?

If you keep a whisper of humanity, YOU CARE. No matter your passport.

kuroshiki

No, it's an absolutely empty, meaningless statement.

Want to pay "respect?" Then do something that requires actual effort like contacting Congressmen and Senators to support sensible gun-related legislation and an increase in attention/funding to mental health issues.

Eh. moment of silence is pretty much useless, meaningless thing to do according to your standard.

Different people have different way of expressing respect, dude.

Dylan

I think this is flawed in that it draws a connection between the shooting and the image of a "ceasefire", which to me is more of a symbol representing international peace; which is albeit a very serious and powerful message by its own right, but not the appropriate imagery to be exploited for this specific tragedy.

Very, by the look of things.

Its just someone trying to be thoughtful. Some here are being very defensive.

Donations to the family are also a great idea.

i'm glad folks like the two of you are on gaf. this type of positivity shouldn't be as rare as it is, especially among gamers..i've already accepted how cold gaming can be when not allowing the ability to kill kids in a game with violent deaths is seen as a reason for EXTREME OUTRAGE!!

On Friday, let's all play Goldeneye, Slappers Only.

And to all the people saying that gun legislation needs attention, I'm going to assume you mean changing the law so that more upstanding, law-abiding, responsible, trained citizens can legally carry their firearms, especially in these non-sensical "safe zones" that are giant, vulnerable targets for mass murderers.

DJMicLuv

This just sound like a 'minute's silence' like we observe at football matches when a player has died or on memorial days for casualties of war. I don't find the idea offensive in any way, it's just an act of solidarity and a mark of respect for the dead.

Eusis

So play Chivalry instead? Back to swords and other medieval weaponry!

Seriously though, I think the INTENT is to take the time to reflect period, but I think everyone has their own ways of doing that, and the ones who'd probably need to do that most probably aren't even seeing that message.

Top Bottom