• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After ruining Android messaging, Google says iMessage is too powerful

Tams

Do they talk to people who don't have those apps? If not then there is your answer.
Somehow everywhere outside the US get by using them. Or even multiple of them. It's almost like you have this quite powerful, small, portable computer with you almost all the time...

Hari Seldon

Somehow everywhere outside the US get by using them. Or even multiple of them. It's almost like you have this quite powerful, small, portable computer with you almost all the time...
I don't understand your point. Either everyone I want to talk to has to agree to use some 3rd party app or I use imessage/text and talk to literally everyone. There is nothing but disadvantage for using some 3rd party app in my eyes.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
This isn’t a real thing. I asked my kids about it last night and it was completely not real. It’s just another way of google to try and get iMessage onto android

Tams

I don't understand your point. Either everyone I want to talk to has to agree to use some 3rd party app or I use imessage/text and talk to literally everyone. There is nothing but disadvantage for using some 3rd party app in my eyes.
The rest of the world has moved on from SMS and MMS. They're only used as last resorts now. America behind the times as they so often are.

As for why? Well, you don't get this apparent problem. It doesn't matter what brand of device someone has. And you can get things like stickers and animations if that's your thing (and the main reason why LINE took off in Japan).

Hari Seldon

The rest of the world has moved on from SMS and MMS. They're only used as last resorts now. America behind the times as they so often are.

As for why? Well, you don't get this apparent problem. It doesn't matter what brand of device someone has. And you can get things like stickers and animations if that's your thing (and the main reason why LINE took off in Japan).
I think it is more along the lines of there are far too many options in the US for competing services to assume that every single person you want to talk to will happen to be on whatever app you prefer. imessage/sms is a universal option.

NickFire

Google is siding with the green texts?

OMG

Quick, someone make the threads!!! It sounds like either Google is buying MS, or MS is buying Google. Almost certainly next Wednesday.

Droxcy

Never paid attention to bubble colors because chances are I forget to text back anyway. At this point I don't want to talk to anyone on the phone or text lol.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Nope, a lot of my friends and work colleagues use Android phones, so I get green bubbles with them, hence why I rarely text them. If it ain’t iMessage, it ain’t worth texting.

Are we starting phone wars now? Cool. Let me get in on this. I need to defend my preferred trillion dollar corporation.

Gargle on my balls, Apple sheep!

Android for life!

How's that for a start?

teezzy

Banned
Don’t care about the brand. I do care about being able to txt full uncompressed images and videos though which is why imsg is so great and android sucks balls. Balls I say!! \high five team Apple!

😂

Funny because Android to Android sends just fine, in my experience

Been using Signal recently and got some of my contacts to install it, but I don't think it's catching on with the mainstream.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
"Google took to Twitter"

We have such a lame culture. Imagine telling someone from the past that in the future through the magic of technology, now trillion dollar corporations can publicly whine about other trillion dollar corporations.

Tams

I think it is more along the lines of there are far too many options in the US for competing services to assume that every single person you want to talk to will happen to be on whatever app you prefer. imessage/sms is a universal option.
You Americans really are stubborn, even if it's defending something that isn't helping you.

As I said, everyone else course just fine using multiple apps. It's one of the reasons you have a damn smartphone.

Hari Seldon

You Americans really are stubborn, even if it's defending something that isn't helping you.

As I said, everyone else course just fine using multiple apps. It's one of the reasons you have a damn smartphone.
I'm trying to understand this. Say your plumber is running late (you do have plumbing in your country right?). Do you call him first and then ask him what app he uses and then download that app and then message him through the app why he is running late?

Cyberpunkd

Google crying they cannot sell kids' information anymore, boo-fucking-hoo.

Also - I'm so confused, isn't iMessage just a fancy SMS tool for iOS? Literally nobody in Europe is using this, everyone is on Skype / WhatsApp.

Last edited:

Tams

I'm trying to understand this. Say your plumber is running late (you do have plumbing in your country right?). Do you call him first and then ask him what app he uses and then download that app and then message him through the app why he is running late?
If you can call him, why do you need to message him?

But considering that in a given country, most people use the same messaging service (and have one or two of the others installed), you'd use those from the same place you'd get their phone number. And considering that several also let you add people by their number (WhatsApp, LINE), that's even less of any issue.

Hari Seldon

If you can call him, why do you need to message him?

But considering that in a given country, most people use the same messaging service (and have one or two of the others installed), you'd use those from the same place you'd get their phone number. And considering that several also let you add people by their number (WhatsApp, LINE), that's even less of any issue.
I mean you guys do you. But there is no fucking way I'm downloading some Zuckerburg app and let it root around in my phone contacts and then constantly run the battery draining app that is sucking my location and all other details.

Tams

Then maybe Google shouldn't create trash.

Also why use the default messengers anyway? Just use Signal.

We've already had this argument. Some Americans are just too wedded to iMessage for some bizarre reason.

We uad this sorted almost 20 years ago. Yet here we are with people still choosing the most closed off option.

Osaka_Boss

Everybody uses Whatsapp, who cares if US kids and copeists try to justify their Apple products purchases?

Even iPhone users around here use WhatsApp

Osaka_Boss

What’s the point of whatsapp if I have iMessage?
Well, you guys still use inches, pounds, ounces and feet 🤣

But in all honesty, SMS in the US is really cheap, right? In Most countries sms and MMS are (were) very expensive, so when 3g and smartphones came along, Whatsapp was the best solution to combo your android/iphone with a 3g/4g plan. Then the mobile companies got desperate and included unlimited sms in the plans, but then no one used them anymore as WhatsApp has a lot of features like group messaging, stickers, vídeo embbing and the list keeps going. The same for LINE and Telegram.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
We've already had this argument. Some Americans are just too wedded to iMessage for some bizarre reason.

We uad this sorted almost 20 years ago. Yet here we are with people still choosing the most closed off option.

I’m Australian and don’t know a single contact that doesn’t have an iPhone? Why would any of us use a third party app owned by Facebook?

People would think you’re bizarre for using it here there’s simply no point.

You’re arguing for people to use third party apps, for the majority of the western world we don’t have to. There’s nothing easier than sharing building plans, high quality videos, high quality photos, video calls showing problems all instantly on the Apple ecosystem.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
I don't understand why you don't just use WhatsApp, Viber, LINE, Facebook Messenger, even fucking Skype.

Bbbbb...but privacy! They all use encryption. If you really care about that then there's Telegram or Signal. And if they really want to get you, they'll either get your messages somehow or something else incriminating some other way. Plus, no one really cares about your cock pics that much.
Those services you list protect you from parties that aren't the provider. Facebook, Microsoft, etc, assuredly are still reading what you write.

With Signal that's not the case, the provider nor anyone else can know unless they've cracked the security. Privacy is a huge deal.

Tams

I’m Australian and don’t know a single contact that doesn’t have an iPhone? Why would any of us use a third party app owned by Facebook?

People would think you’re bizarre for using it here there’s simply no point.

You’re arguing for people to use third party apps, for the majority of the western world we don’t have to. There’s nothing easier than sharing building plans, high quality videos, high quality photos, video calls showing problems all instantly on the Apple ecosystem.
Mate, most of the Western world uses WhatsApp. And it does everything you just ascribed to Apple. Same for LINE in Japan (and they have more iPhones than Australia), WeChat in China and SE Asia, Viber's still doing well too.

It's now owned by Facebook, but people don't care.

And you don't even know your fellow Australians. They don't by a long shot all own iPhones. But it would be a shame if that were the case. Do you really think it would be good for one company to control what has become such an important tool to people?!

Mattyp

Gold Member
Mate, most of the Western world uses WhatsApp. And it does everything you just ascribed to Apple. Same for LINE in Japan (and they have more iPhones than Australia), WeChat in China and SE Asia, Viber's still doing well too.

It's now owned by Facebook, but people don't care.

And you don't even know your fellow Australians. They don't by a long shot all own iPhones. But it would be a shame if that were the case. Do you really think it would be good for one company to control what has become such an important tool to people?!

You still haven’t explained why we as a company would use a third party app when our phone does everything organically with a nicer interface? Or friend groups for that matter, if no one has an Android and we can use iMessage why would we use WhatsApp? What’s the reasoning? A company 10x worse privacy wise than Apple. And I care, I won’t use a single Facebook group service.

I don’t know my own fellow Australians? In my friend circle I don’t know a single person using android. In our work circle iPhone, it makes the job site and issues arising solved so much easier. Even outside my circle 50% of Australians would own iPhones, that’s an incredible market share for one manufacturer.

One company doesn’t control the phone, but if I had choose one to yeah I would choose the one company that doesn’t make money off advertising and users data? the one company who year after year produces the fastest chipset? the one company who cared about user privacy and encryption before anyone else did with enclave? The one company who actually rolled out a built in solution to the problem we’re discussing…?

Last edited:

Tams

You still haven’t explained why we as a company would use a third party app when our phone does everything organically with a nicer interface? Or friend groups for that matter, if no one has an Android and we can use iMessage why would we use WhatsApp? What’s the reasoning? A company 10x worse privacy wise than Apple. And I care, I won’t use a single Facebook group service.

I don’t know my own fellow Australians? In my friend circle I don’t know a single person using android. In our work circle iPhone, it makes the job site and issues arising solved so much easier. Even outside my circle 50% of Australians would own iPhones, that’s an incredible market share for one manufacturer.

One company doesn’t control the phone, but if I had choose one to yeah I would choose the one company that doesn’t make money off advertising and users data? the one company who year after year produces the fastest chipset? the one company who cared about user privacy and encryption before anyone else did with enclave? The one company who actually rolled out a built in solution to the problem we’re discussing…?

That you place so much weight on anecdotal evidence says it all.

For you, sure. I'm not saying you shouldn't use iMessage. That's your choice. But to be so against other messaging services is just plain silly. As to why might someone want to use other messaging services? Easy: being or needing/wanting to contact people who don't use Apple products.

And you've made no good argument why it's a good idea to let one company take over.

Also, is it not Apple that led the charge in searching through their customers data...

Osaka_Boss

You probably don't remember the Fappening lol

Last edited:

segasonic

I‘m an iPhone user since iPhone 4 and have never used iMessage. Why don‘t Americans use Whatsapp like the rest of the world? Is it because of the metric system?

Osaka_Boss

why would I download an unnecessary app when I can just do what I want through iMessage?

no one has been able to explain this to me
Under your circumstances, you never had the need to use anything else, because you had cheap sms and a good in-built messager (though it still lacks functions), so there was never a reason to experiment any messaging app to begin with.

They are still better, though.

Banned
I‘m an iPhone user since iPhone 4 and have never used iMessage. Why don‘t Americans use Whatsapp like the rest of the world? Is it because of the metric system?

I don't get it either... I guess you don't have to donwload an app, so these lazy bones just use what's already on their phones.

I don't know a single person who uses iMessage. I mean I only know 1 person in general that has an iOS device but still... and tbh I don't even fully understand why anyone would even buy an iPhone in the first place so 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Shtef

why would I download an unnecessary app when I can just do what I want through iMessage?

no one has been able to explain this to me
Maybe you don’t have a need for 3rd party messaging app but plenty of us have.

The biggest reason I don’t like iMessage is because I never know if person I am messaging has internet connection, so if i send message i will be charged for regular sms (which is expensive) and that is a huge deal when i message people all over the world.
With whatsapp and viber I dont have this problem.

YCoCg

America's obsession with iMessage is kinda weird tbh but that's why Apple thrives, the fact that teenagers bully others because they don't use iMessage is some bizarre corpo cult shit.

Google does have a point too, there's a newer better standard than SMS/MMS that contains all the capabilities of iMessage as well as being universal but Apple is being like "nah fam, we're sticking with old ass shit cause iMessage boosts that".

gatti-man

America's obsession with iMessage is kinda weird tbh but that's why Apple thrives, the fact that teenagers bully others because they don't use iMessage is some bizarre corpo cult shit.

Google does have a point too, there's a newer better standard than SMS/MMS that contains all the capabilities of iMessage as well as being universal but Apple is being like "nah fam, we're sticking with old ass shit cause iMessage boosts that".
Has zero to do with bullying. iMessage has tons of cool features that get messed up when an android is in the mix. It’s just that simple.

Even for work androids are a pain to deal with and is much quicker and easier to maintain a group chat full of iPhones.

YCoCg

iMessage has tons of cool features that get messed up when an android is in the mix. It’s just that simple.
Oh gee, if only there was a newer standard that supported all those features and more that Google wants to push but Apple refuse to move on.

You realise if SMS/MMS was ditched and moved over then there would be hardly any difference between iMessage and the Android apps communicating with each other. That's the point Google is making, this whole Blue Vs Green bubble shit can be put to bed if Apple accepts the newer standard.

gatti-man

Oh gee, if only there was a newer standard that supported all those features and more that Google wants to push but Apple refuse to move on.

You realise if SMS/MMS was ditched and moved over then there would be hardly any difference between iMessage and the Android apps communicating with each other. That's the point Google is making, this whole Blue Vs Green bubble shit can be put to bed if Apple accepts the newer standard.
The google standard. Yeah why would Apple do that when they already have a system that works flawlessly? Google loves touting its systems as the system to use. Apple has always been about using its own stuff and it’s own systems.

Step 1 get far behind in the messaging game. Step 2 work on your own system that breaks iMessage step 3 cry when Apple won’t adopt it and call it bullying when non Apple users get kicked from group chats.

Soodanim

Gold Member
iMessage is good because it's convenient. It's part of what Apple do best.

In the UK it's all WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger. I have a few iMessage contacts, but the majority (including those all important group chats) are all WhatsApp. It's the defacto standard, for better or worse. At least it has features and is cross platform. I have Telegram and Signal installed, but I have one contact on each and could easily uninstall both. I'm hardly a socialite, but it's indicative of the market.
They shoot themselves in the foot constantly. How many separate messaging apps have they created and killed?
Google has some sort of software development ADHD and can't stop jumping between apps, even with what should be core apps that should never go anywhere. It's nonsense, and it always has been. I used to spend my time on Android looking for alternatives to so many stock apps, which was part advantage and part pain in the arse. With Apple it's one and done.

Last edited:

ape2man

indie company google worth only 1.8 trillion please understand
5hG7BtX.png

apple has 26 percent of the market how is android supposed to compete with that???
In the U.S. 85% of the users use IPhone. Hows them apples

YCoCg

The google standard.
No, it's an OPEN standard. Probably another reason why Apple don't want to use it.

edit: Also, just to ask, you DO know if Apple were to migrate over to the newer standard, near enough NOTHING would change for you right? You wouldn't be losing any features, etc, your service would remain the same, only now it would be using standards that Android and other OS's use so there would be no "green bubble" effect going on, and that you'll be able to send files, photos, stickers, etc, to anyone regardless of phone platform right? Why is that a bad thing?

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I never got into these phone wars because I can give two shits about them really. I just find it funny seeing android users tell iPhone users to use apps for no beneficial reason.

Top Bottom