• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After the PS5 reveal, PC gaming is still where it's at... right?

Broseybrose

Ive been out of the loop. I didnt even know these new consoles were coming out til a few hours ago, so I logged back in to GAF for the first time in a while. Now that Im somewhat caught up, I find myself with the age old question: is it worth it?

The last console I bought was PS3 and I got some great times out of it. Ive never owned an XBOX. Ive always had a decent PC. ATM I still have the same i5 2500 PC I got in 2012, upgraded with a GTX 1060 6GB. All of my current displays are 1080p.

What I care about is the games... I have to admit I saw a couple of really neat looking games on the PS5 reveal that made me think it would be nice to have one. In the same way I wanted a PS3 for Demon's Souls (best game of the millenium?), Heavy Rain, Flower, Journey, etc... but even Journey came to PC eventually.

I played Dark Souls 3 and Witcher 3 pretty recently on PC, I know most games eventually come to pc, and Im not a day one kinda guy. There are a couple games I can think of that I would like to have played that Im pretty sure it never came to PC: The Last of Us, Beyond Two Souls. There are also games like FFXV and Detroit Become Human that are Win10 only (Im still on Win7 til this PC dies).

My train of thought is, I hope I won't be missing any huge games if I decide to upgrade my PC (get a 4k display, etc) instead of purchasing a PS5. Am I mistaken? Are there gonna be a bunch of PS5 exclusives? Is too early to tell? The truth of the matter is that there are literally HUNDREDS of great PC games from the past twenty-odd years that Ive never even played, are cheap and available right now, and my current machine will play them no problem. So this question is really a non issue. I know how GAF felt about this in 2008 but I'm curious about how is GAF feeling about this in 2020?

Kokoloko85

Didn't know PC releases Playstation exclusive day one?

Theres a reason people buy Playstation and Nintendo Consoles.
Because they offer exclusive games the PC and Xbox don’t

Edit - plus PC gaming is always a great place. I cant afford more than a laptop which I mostly use for older titles and indies.

Last edited:

Aion002

Well...some Sony games might come to pc, but not day one and just some.

Almost nothing changed from other generations to Sony. New console, new exclusives.... So yeah you are mistaken.

MS is the one who made pc players question the need of a console.... For Sony and Nintendo is business as usual.

Graciaus

It's to early to tell but I think in your case you'll be fine just sticking to PC. You can either hope for a port eventually or if patient enough an emulator will likely play all these games. If you aren't up to date on game knowledge does it really matter if you behind?

Are Sony's 1st party games worth it to you? I don't think so but that might be different for you. Most 3rd party games come to PC. It's really just about the exclusives and some PS4 games years later are coming out even now. No one really knows what will happen.

Sethbacca

I'm running a 4770k/1070gtx which is still great for 90% of my games, the ps5 will be nearly twice as good as my desktop. I'm not going to bother upgrading my PC until they have the inevitable I/O accelerators and whatever else is going to be coming out to counter the console storage tech as I'm sure most new games in the future will have these types of things as a baseline given that consoles typically set the baseline.

BlackTron

As always, there will be games you will either miss, or have to wait years to play, if you are on PC only. You'll have to judge how important those games are to you. When I saw the PS5 reveal, it made me realize I could probably just coast for a few years on PC while waiting for this console to prove itself.

longdi

Banned
Oh yes, PC have RTX, which will bring out a whole new level of visuals. Along with DLSS, you can probably play next gen games with enhanced visuals for a while

Just get a nvme ssd and wait for Directstorage to hit.

Seems like PS5 RT capabilities are not noticeable enough so far.

Stuart360

PC is always the place to be, some people just get caught up in the marketing schpeel before a new gen, like clockwork.
I even believe PS5 games will end up on PC over the course of next gen, so the one remaining bastion (Sony exclusives) will imo also be gone.

I'm running a 4770k/1070gtx which is still great for 90% of my games, the ps5 will be nearly twice as good as my desktop. I'm not going to bother upgrading my PC until they have the inevitable I/O accelerators and whatever else is going to be coming out to counter the console storage tech as I'm sure most new games in the future will have these types of things as a baseline given that consoles typically set the baseline.
I/O thing is bullshit, never trust Sony... I'm sure you can do the same thing with Nvme PCie 4.0 with a new bios update...

Broseybrose

Well...some Sony games might come to pc, but not day one and just some.

Almost nothing changed from other generations to Sony. New console, new exclusives.... So yeah you are mistaken.

MS is the one who made pc players question the need of a console.... For Sony and Nintendo is business as usual.
I completely disagree with this. MS did nothing to make PC gamers question anything. They did try, but they failed.

On the other hand, it's only the Sony and Nintendo exclusives that make PC gamers like me even consider buying a console.

How bout you learn to be happy with what you have and stay in your lane.

wHy BuY a CaR wHeN yOu CaN jUsT bUy ThE pArTs OnLiNe AnD bUiLd YoUr OwN?
Um, what?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Um, what?
Do you need validation to convince you to stay on PC or is it a good enough platform in its own right?

If you're hoping for 'PC master race' to jump in and bro-hug you and tell you to keep true to the Race, you will unfortunately be confronted with people who think otherwise.

Broseybrose

If you weren’t even aware that the PS5 or Series X were coming out until today, I think you should stick to PC.
Hey its never too late. I had no desire for PS3 until I saw the Demon's Souls trailers...

Do you need validation to convince you to stay on PC or is it a good enough platform in its own right?

If you're hoping for 'PC master race' to jump in and bro-hug you and tell you to keep true to the Race, you will unfortunately be confronted with people who think otherwise.
Jesus, I thought the wars ended a decade ago. But I guess the scars remain...

Last edited:

Sethbacca

I/O thing is bullshit, never trust Sony... I'm sure you can do the same thing with Nvme PCie 4.0 with a new bios update...

Except that it has been exhaustively documented and even demonstrated that it's not there yet due to driver overhead and the like. Honestly, it's better to just wait a little bit and the better shit WILL be available.

Remember this from last week?
Or the Tim Sweeney talks?

I mean, you can say what you want but you're factually wrong as of this moment.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Perhaps the heat of your PC will comfort you while you ask strangers if PC is still the True Path.

Either buy the new systems or don't. No need to get up in arms about it. If you're insecure about your PC Race status, then buy an extra machine. Then you can play both. And if money is the issue, then wait a few years on one or the other. The good games won't cease to exist.

I swear, PC gamers are some of the most inflexible and analysis-paralyzed gamers on the planet.

Aion002

I completely disagree with this. MS did nothing to make PC gamers question anything. They did try, but they failed.

On the other hand, it's only the Sony and Nintendo exclusives that make PC gamers like me even consider buying a console.

You misunderstood me.

I said: Since Sony and Nintendo don't release their games day one on PC, it is a normal generation for them.

While MS releases every game day one on PC, so a PC player don't need an Xbox.

Broseybrose

Perhaps the heat of your PC will comfort you while you ask strangers if PC is still the True Path.

Either buy the new systems or don't. No need to get up in arms about it. If you're insecure about your PC Race status, then buy an extra machine. Then you can play both. And if money is the issue, then wait a few years on one or the other. The good games won't cease to exist.

I swear, PC gamers are some of the most inflexible and analysis-paralyzed gamers on the planet.
You do realize that you are the one who is up in arms?

I asked a simple question as Im out of the loop and wanted to get a feel for the current climate on GAF.

There's no need to get angry or defensive. But if my question makes you insecure dont project that on to me. All that does is reveal to everyone else just how intolerant you are.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
You do realize that you are the one who is up in arms?

I asked a simple question as Im out of the loop and wanted to get a feel for the current climate on GAF.

There's no need to get angry or defensive. But if my question makes you insecure dont project that on to me. All that does is reveal to everyone else just how intolerant you are.
I'm waiting on a PS5 for several years. I am also "not a day one kinda guy" like you said in your OP. I'm offering you a genuine answer to your predicament from a similar vantage point as yourself. And on the side I'm poking fun at the absurd PC fragility that I've seen creep into the hobby over the last decade. But it isn't as fun when you get too ruffled over it, so I guess I'll just repeat my advice to play the platform you love and not get so twisted up over it.

You answered your own question in the OP: you enjoy your PC and you're not a day one kinda guy. Why do you need advice to do what you already say you're gonna do?

Wait until more games show up. That's what I'm doing and I don't even have PC in the equation.

noise36

The problem for PC gaming is the poor state of HDR. Wasn't a huge problem this gen as HDR was rarely done well but I think this gen everything is going to be 4k30 or 4k60 with HDR.

I am a life long PC gamer but will buy which ever version of a game will give the best experience.

Last edited:

Broseybrose

I'm waiting on a PS5 for several years. I am also "not a day one kinda guy" like you said in your OP. I'm offering you a genuine answer to your predicament from a similar vantage point as yourself. And on the side I'm poking fun at the absurd PC fragility that I've seen creep into the hobby over the last decade. But it isn't as fun when you get too ruffled over it, so I guess I'll just repeat my advice to play the platform you love and not get so twisted up over it.

You answered your own question in the OP: you enjoy your PC and you're not a day one kinda guy. Why do you need advice to do what you already say you're gonna do?

Wait until more games show up. That's what I'm doing and I don't even have PC in the equation.
That's cool. Though it did seem as if you were angry about something. And my question sparked that anger and you were taking it out on me.
Also Im not twisted up over anything, person... stop projecting your shit on to me! If you're not seriously angry and just poking fun, that is not translating well over text.

If you didn't mind missing Bloodborne, then I doubt you'll mind missing any of the PS5 exclusives.
I DO mind missing BloodBorne though! I really want to play that game. I have wanted to play that game for years.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I'm just upgrading my PC for now.

PC continues to have the most games which I want to play. Plus, there's Xbox's GamePass subscription model which works on PC as well. With GamePass, you can access all the Xbox exclusives day one on your machine in addition to a slew of other titles. My Steam backlog is so thicc, I barely have time for it, but love having it there jic.

Sony is coming around to the idea of testing their exclusives on PC. Horizon Zero Dawn is coming this summer to Steam, and Bloodborne is rumored as well. If you've never owned a PS4, then that's really something to be excited for.

PC basically gives you the best PC and Xbox have to offer simultaneously. If Sony/Nintendo exclusives see important to you, then buy one of those machines but... there's so much to play on PC that I really cant be arsed.

I'll likely buy an Xbox Series X for NHL 21, (oddly not on PC) and continue to enjoy my GamePass titles in my living room as well.

TLDR: PC is always where it's at.

T-Cake

Well, after watching that event, I'm brought back to earth with a right old bump. I'm convinced more than ever that PC is the platform for me. Won't rule out the PS5, I'll still get one but it'll only be for exclusives and therefore may not be right at launch. Xbox Series X is totally out of the question.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Hey its never too late. I had no desire for PS3 until I saw the Demon's Souls trailers...

oM9M90E.jpg

Guilty_AI

PC gamer here. If you're patient, i really suggest you to keep a wait-and-see approach for now. Your hardware will be clearly outdated for the next gen but it can still run a lot of modern and older ones.
Also, don't bother with the people trying to pick a fight with you, its the same console wars from always, it definitely didn't change.

Last edited:

Broseybrose

I appreciate y'alls opinions! I have some stuff to look into. There was some tech mentioned in this thread that Im not up to speed on that piqued my interest. Also I was reminded of Bloodborne... maybe when PS5 drops I can get a good deal on a PS4! I really do hope it comes to Steam though!

And, its quite clear that for some the war rages on. That's okay. Unfortunate, but considering all the other unfortunate shit going on in 2020 I won't be losing sleep over console wars.

Last edited:
I DO mind missing BloodBorne though! I really want to play that game. I have wanted to play that game for years.
Well, there's one huge game you've missed then. Even if you do mind, you don't seem to mind enough to get a PS4, so I guess it was at least bearable for you? PS5 is getting a complete remake of Demon's Souls, and I doubt that's coming to PC anytime soon, so you'd be missing out on that at the very least.

Also I was reminded of Bloodborne... maybe when PS5 drops I can get a good deal on a PS4!
PS5 will run almost all PS4 games, so if you can see yourself buying a PS4 and then maybe a PS5 later on, simply getting a PS5 outright might actually be cheaper.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
My train of thought is, I hope I won't be missing any huge games if I decide to upgrade my PC (get a 4k display, etc) instead of purchasing a PS5. Am I mistaken? Are there gonna be a bunch of PS5 exclusives? Is too early to tell? The truth of the matter is that there are literally HUNDREDS of great PC games from the past twenty-odd years that Ive never even played, are cheap and available right now, and my current machine will play them no problem. So this question is really a non issue. I know how GAF felt about this in 2008 but I'm curious about how is GAF feeling about this in 2020?

"Where it's at" depends on each individual's tastes, living circumstances, and budget. There are a lot of platforms to choose from that most effectively satisfy those three conditions. PC gaming might fit some people fine (like me), but I'm not everybody.

Broseybrose

Well, there's one huge game you've missed then. Even if you do mind, you don't seem to mind enough to get a PS4, so I guess it was at least bearable for you? PS5 is getting a complete remake of Demon's Souls, and I doubt that's coming to PC anytime soon, so you'd be missing out on that at the very least.
I truly am patient. I don't need to play games right away. I file interesting games away and when the opportunity rises, I take it. So if Bloodborne comes to Steam that would be like a really gratifying orgasm after years of edging lol.

As for the Demon's Souls remake... remakes are usually a sad letdown... Ill have to wait for reviews on that before I even really care. There were other games that interested me more than a Demon's Souls remake.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Hopefully this helps OP: I have a similar build to you FX 6300 - 8 GB RAM - last year I upgraded from a GTX 760 to an RX 580 8 GB just because i found a cheap one. I'd say don't believe the hype. Just game game game and wait.

The worst thing you can do right now is to build a brand new gaming PC to match next gen consoles: Use time and your backlog to your advantage. Most of the games we will see during the next year and a half will be cross gen games targeted to run on an Xbox one as a baseline. And on top of that you have mods, emulators that keep getting better and better, indie PC only games and more.

Oh and BTW, Flower, Heavy Rain, Beyond 2 Souls and Detroit Become Human released on PC (I don't think you would be able to play Detroit as you need an 8 thread CPU for some reason)

Last edited:

amigastar

I only have a PC, when a game comes out on console that i want to play i just borrow this console from a company that borrows devices.

Broseybrose

Hopefully this helps OP: I have a similar build to you FX 6300 - 8 GB RAM - last year I upgraded from a GTX 760 to an RX 580 8 GB just because i found a cheap one. I'd say don't believe the hype. Just game game game and wait.

The worst thing you can do right now is to build a brand new gaming PC to match next gen consoles: Use time and your backlog to your advantage. Most of the games we will see during the next year and a half will be cross gen games targeted to run on an Xbox one as a baseline. And on top of that you have mods, emulators that keep getting better and better, indie PC only games and more.

Oh and BTW, Flower, Heavy Rain, Beyond 2 Souls and Detroit Become Human released on PC (I don't think you would be able to play Detroit as you need an 8 thread CPU for some reason)
Well I still have my PS3 for Flower and Heavy Rain. Now that Im looking into it I had no idea Beyond was released on PS3! Always thought that it was PS4 exclusive!

Also I have no immediate plans to upgrade. I'm just future thinking. The whole point of this thread was to get perspective on the PS5 hype from the pov of a (very patient) PC gamer.

Last edited:

Broseybrose

Except that it has been exhaustively documented and even demonstrated that it's not there yet due to driver overhead and the like. Honestly, it's better to just wait a little bit and the better shit WILL be available.

Remember this from last week?
Or the Tim Sweeney talks?

I mean, you can say what you want but you're factually wrong as of this moment.

This is a fascinating video btw. Some of the higher tech stuff went over my head but I understood the jist. Watching this was not only informative, but made me want to learn about the stuff that I didn't quite yet understand. So thanks for sharing!

Sethbacca

This is a fascinating video btw. Some of the higher tech stuff went over my head but I understood the jist. Watching this was not only informative, but made me want to learn about the stuff that I didn't quite yet understand. So thanks for sharing!

You're welcome! I just happen to think investing a new build right now is a mistake if you can run most of what you want at acceptable quality. You'll be able to get some used PS4s dirt cheap in the coming months as people get rid of them to prepare for next gen since you indicated earlier in the thread that that was an option (though maybe splurge on a pro if you can find one).

Broseybrose

You're welcome! I just happen to think investing a new build right now is a mistake if you can run most of what you want at acceptable quality. You'll be able to get some used PS4s dirt cheap in the coming months as people get rid of them to prepare for next gen since you indicated earlier in the thread that that was an option (though maybe splurge on a pro if you can find one).
Agreed! And before I do any kind of upgrading, I want to see what (if anything) motherboard and ssd manufacturers do in response to this new contoller tech Sony is apparently bringing with PS5.

Ogbert

Just wait until this time next year to rebuild. Hopefully the world won’t be on fire anymore and prices might have settled down.

You’ll easily be able to build an excellent machine to cater to your needs. It all really comes down to what display you want and how much importance you place on frame rate.

yurqqa

I think the games that require ultra-fast SSD (a bit cringeworthy term) will stay on consoles until at least 20-30 % of PC gaming community will have motherboards and SSDs that are on the same level.

So if you upgrade every 3 years, it's more or less safe to upgrade now.

Top Bottom