• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After TLoU PT.2 Naughty Dog should tackle Blade Runner

Strange fact, I've never seen the original blade runner. But I feel in love with 2049 so much that when so that when I bought a copy of the final cut I couldn't bring myself to watch it out of the fear that it may change my perception of a film I hold dear.

It's pretty clear that there is extremely unlikely going to be a third film after the poor commercial success of 2049, despite the good reviews and press. But having seen what Insomniac has done with Spider Man, taking a well known IP and making their own interpretation, I feel there is no better master at the art of story telling and emotional narrative to be up to the task than Naughty Dog.

I know there's more media for me to discover here but I would love to see their vision of this franchise. It just feels too big to die. The question is, do we pick up with K assuming that's he's not dead to help the uprising? Or do we find ourselves in the story of another character somewhere else?

200.gif

But I feel in love with 2049 so much that when so that when I bought a copy of the final cut I couldn't bring myself to watch it out of the fear that it may change my perception of a film I hold dear.
Just watch it. Blade Runner is a much, much, much, MUCH better film than 2049, which looks the part but it can't hold a candle to the original.

Matsuchezz

If Neil Druckman were to leave Naughty Dog, it would be picked up by the initiative and we would see a lot of meltdowns.

on topic
I would like them to pick the order franchise. but the timeline would be on the 80’s.
but ultimately I am down with whatever story they want to tell with any kind of chararacters they want to portray. I do not see them going back to platformers or kiddy racing games ever again.

Last edited:

YCoCg

2049 was brilliant, the original is just about better for nailing the neo noir theme properly but damn the visual design and direction of 2049 is just amazing. Also, if you want more from the Blade Runner universe then of course you should check out the original and then check out the in between stories that fill in some of the side events that take place after the original but are mentioned in 2049...

yurinka

I think Naughty Dog won't want to do Detroit: Become Human 2.

But I'd like to see a futuristic fantasy -even if not cyberpunk- IP from them. I remember when Savage Starlight appeared on their website, they could do something great with that.

But please, give it a unique, personal touch as ND did with the Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider setting and the post-apocalyptic zombies setting.

GreyHorace

If they weren't doing Cyberpunk 2077 I would have suggested CDProjektRed tackle it. Another developer I'd consider (since they're owned by Warner Bros. themselves who released the movie) is Rocksteady. I'd like to see them tackle Blade Runner after Batman.

Keep Neil Druckmann's filthy NPC hands away from this property. A lot of SJWs had complaints about 2049 so I don't want a scenario where a cucked developer gives in to their demands.

Last edited:
Blade Runner is strictly a film made to take advantage of the film medium, so I don't know why Naughty Dog would try to ape...oh wait, never mind. But I agree with everyone else. Naughty Dog aren't talented enough to make a Blade Runner game that would do justice to the original film. They would be fools for even attempting to do so.

A Naughty Dog Cyberpunk game would be interesting though.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
No.
The Westwood PC game is good enough.
Also, 2049 is a piece of shit.

The Westwood Bladerunner game is the perfect Bladerunner game. I’m not sure you could make that game today and I have my concerns about the remake - I worry that modern commercial subsidies will ruin it.

As for 2049, to me it just seemed to be a nostalgia cash in, it did nothing for me. The original is a work of art and the OP should watch it.

GymWolf

Ok maybe not blade runner but i'm okay a scifi game.

We can see who made the less feminine npc between them and outer worlds from obsidian...

Last edited:

plushyp

Also, 2049 is a piece of shit.
No, far far far from it. If you want to talk about an actual POS Sci-Fi film then that is After Earth.

2049 is awful. Wannabe sci-fi dreck with computer graphic effects (!) and totally misses the point of the original. And no Vangelis score.
2049 is a very good film deeply let down by the fact that Ridley Scott made it so tied to the original when Denis Villeneuve wanted something more independent. The writer for the first film again contributed to 2049 so there was consistency at the cost of 2049 being treated as it's own film. 2049 isn't perfect by any means but neither was the original which was mainly elevated by the Vangelis score and Rutgear's amazing monologue at the end. Anyway, what are you talking about when you say it missed the point of the original?

As for FF:Enhanced_Reality FF:Enhanced_Reality , you miss a lot of context in 2049 by not watching the original film. Watch that film first and then check out 2049 again.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
- Naughty Dog don’t deal with non-mainstream, and BR is as niche cult movie as it gets.

- Why would you want them to cheapen the style and narrative of the originals? They aren’t subtle in their narrative.

- What kind of gameplay do you expect out of them that does justice to this franchise?

- Ask yourself: could current ND make a game that would inspire something like Blade Runner? If not, why do you think they could do the opposite? And no, this exercise isn’t stupid because in its current state, ND makes games that are half movies already.

Top Bottom