• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After using mouthwash do you rinse with water immediately or do you take it like a man and endure the burn?

What's your teeth protocol?

I've started brushing my teeth after every meal rather than just twice a day. Floss and 30 seconds of Listerine before bed. I have a great smile.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Well I guess I endure it because what’s the point of using listerine if you’re going to wash it out with water anyway?

Codes 208

The mouthwash does it's job during the 30 seconds of swishing.
I use the specialized whitening mouth wash. Usually you’re supposed to let it sit for several minutes after rinsing so that it can continue to clean around your teeth and gums. Just figured that most mouthwash works relatively the same.

as someone who fucking barely fucking brushes now i dont think i can give you a good answer because i havent done it in a while but last i remember shit didnt even burn baby.
i really just want to stop brushing my teeth. its so annoying and an inconvenience

as someone who fucking barely fucking brushes now i dont think i can give you a good answer because i havent done it in a while but last i remember shit didnt even burn baby.
i really just want to stop brushing my teeth. its so annoying and an inconvenience

1l-jxmhcvOnRk3oNv8KIebg.gif

No, I don't rinse it wtf.
This is news to me. Weird. I'm gonna stick with continuing to rinse because after I finish my 30 seconds I don't wanna taste Listerine for even another minute. Don't tell me you're not supposed to rinse toothpaste either, now.

DiscoJer

I use peroxide several times a day and Listerine (generic) before I got to bed. I usually let it stay in my mouth until it goes numb.

brap

Banned
This is news to me. Weird. I'm gonna stick with continuing to rinse because after I finish my 30 seconds I don't wanna taste Listerine for even another minute. Don't tell me you're not supposed to rinse toothpaste either, now.
Get some Colgate alcohol free. Tastes like gum and doesn't burn or have a long aftertaste. Or maybe it does and I just enjoy it :goog_what:

Get some Colgate alcohol free. Tastes like gum and doesn't burn or have a long aftertaste. Or maybe it does and I just enjoy it :goog_what:
I like the burn of Listerine because I see it as a good indicator that shit's being fucked up. I just don't want that burning taste in my mouth once I'm done rinsing.

Dark Star

only use mouthwash in the middle of the day, like after a spicy meal.
rinsing out your mouth with water afterwards? nah i like the burn.

in the morning/before bed i just brush my teeth and floss.

Using a mouthwash that contains fluoride can help prevent tooth decay, but don't use mouthwash (even a fluoride one) straight after brushing your teeth or it'll wash away the concentrated fluoride in the toothpaste left on your teeth

Last edited:
only use mouthwash in the middle of the day, like after a spicy meal.
rinsing out your mouth with water afterwards? nah i like the burn.

in the morning/before bed i just brush my teeth and floss.

Using a mouthwash that contains fluoride can help prevent tooth decay, but don't use mouthwash (even a fluoride one) straight after brushing your teeth or it'll wash away the concentrated fluoride in the toothpaste left on your teeth
Are you saying you don't rinse with water after brushing your teeth?

brap

Banned
I like the burn of Listerine because I see it as a good indicator that shit's being fucked up. I just don't want that burning taste in my mouth once I'm done rinsing.
The Burning lasts like 5 seconds for me. It's really not a big deal lol.

Beyond 30 seconds, there is no sense in enduring the burn. Any bacteria that could have perished did so probably within the first 10 seconds. Don't be so silly guys.

Last edited:
More than the burn what would bother me is that I'd have that detergent Listerine coating/taste in my mouth. Rinsing with water is refreshing and it isn't like 30 seconds of burning swishing did nothing. I also wanna try not to ingest the stuff, no matter how little.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Are you saying you don't rinse with water after brushing your teeth?
I don't do that. I did a quick google search and there's a couple sources saying not to, though I don't know if they're all that official.

https://www.dentalhealth.org/news/spit-dont-rinse-for-better-oral-health
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/how-to-keep-your-teeth-clean/
“By spitting toothpaste out then not rinsing with water it ensures that the fluoride found in the majority of toothpastes will remain on the teeth and continue to be effective.”
After brushing, spit out any excess toothpaste.

Don't rinse your mouth immediately after brushing, as it'll wash away the concentrated fluoride in the remaining toothpaste.

This dilutes it and reduces its preventative effects.

JimiNutz

Banned
Dentist told me not to drink any water or rinse my mouth with water for an hour after brushing my teeth and using mouthwash.
Get alcohol free mouthwash and it's not so bad.

So yeah, don't rinse your mouth with water after you brush your teeth, rinse it with mouthwash.

Last edited:

womfalcs3

Banned
I like the burn. Makes my mouth feel clean.

EDIT: I wrote that as I was thinking about the Chris Rock bit that talks about "pour some 'tussin on it".

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Listerine was confirmed by a Dutch edutainment show years ago as non-working.

petran79

Banned
I use a mouth wash only available at the pharmacy and it does not burn as much, probably because I got used to it

Ellis

I don't rinse, I just use a mild mouthwash.

Even basic Listerine green increases the rate of gum recession. So my dentist told me.

Also use a water flosser as my teeth are too tight for the bullshit string stuff.

Last edited:

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Y’all need to justread the instructions for shit like this. Don’t trust your crazy parents from 20+ years ago passing along stupid knowledge like rinsing your mouth after using mouth wash

the burn means its working.

the directions say dont drink for 30 min after using.

now are you a by the books kinda person or rule breaker?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I don't rinse, because like flossing, it's a scam.

Okay, maybe hyperbolic, but I don't do either and my teeth are absolutely fine. Never had a filling. Never had any weird mouth AIDS or whatever.

Codes 208

I also prefer to not wash it out right away so that it can form a layer around the roof of my mouth because I keep forgetting children cereal is like eating mini balls of broken glass or something because they always seem to cut the roof of my mouth.
But it tastes really bad :(
I have found that many things that are good for your health usually taste bad.

JimiNutz

Banned
I don't rinse, because like flossing, it's a scam.

Okay, maybe hyperbolic, but I don't do either and my teeth are absolutely fine. Never had a filling. Never had any weird mouth AIDS or whatever.

May I ask how old you are?
I was exactly the same until I got into my 30s then my dentist started to warn me that there was some plaque building up in-between my teeth as food does inevitably get trapped in there and brushing the surface of your teeth with a brush simply can't remove that.

I've now been flossing daily for the past 3 years and my teeth have never felt cleaner. I also have never had a filling or any kind of mouth aids but this kinda stuff can take years and years to develop and your luck might run out if you're still in your 20s.

Top Bottom