• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After what Bethesda is doing on the Switch. Third-party's have no excuse Porting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da-Kid

Other than them not wanting to take a risk for sales, but we're in a time where most game engines are highly scalable, optimized, and adaptable. Most of the time devs just don't want to put in the work to do all that.

But after what Bethesda has proven, I don't want to hear nothing about how a game not being able to be optimized.

Jubenhimer

The fact that Doom and Wolfenstein II are being ported at all should hopefully change people's perception on what can, and can't be ported to the Switch. If the ports are good that is.

Jojo Leir

Neo Member
I think they will have no excuse once these games are released and sell well, which I'm personally optimistic will happen.

I imagine some games that struggle on base PS4 like FFXV might be difficult to port especially since the engine isn't very good.
I think a lot of games could make the jump, just requires extra effort and resources which devs might not find acceptable vs the potential profit

eh, I feel like this is an exercise in engine scalability as much as anything else
This.

Engine needs to be flexible enough to support it. I don't think it's an excuse OP, but it's more about what the studio has to work with. It seemed to work out for those two titles.

Wamb0wneD

Oh they'll finde some other excuses don't worry. After the Switch has sold it's first 20 million the tone will change and by then it's too late.

Other than them not wanting to take a risk for sales, but we're in a time where most game engines are highly scalable, optimized, and adaptable. Most of the time devs just don't want to put in the work to do all that.

But after what Bethesda has proven, I don't want to hear nothing about how a game not being able to be optimized.

Lazy devs?

I would say the success of these ports will determine future third party support. The excuse is still perfectly there for companies because Bethesda going all in, in no way shows how successful those ports will be so they can stand by their "past excuses" because third parties just tend to not sell well... power of console is usually their fallback excuse but it's all about the $$$.

Skyrim is a last gen game that came out in 2011..... I mean it's not comparable. It's also not third parties responsibility, it's Nintendos to cultivate an ecosystem third parties can thrive and want to go to without hoops and struggles to go through.

It's funny. When we were in the NX days, I pegged Bethesda as the one third-party developer who would never, ever support Nintendo's next machine. Turns out they're the third-party developer supporting it the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom