• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age Of Empire IV |OT| A Relic Lost In Time

What is your favorite Age Of Empire game?

• Age Of Empire I

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Age Of Empire II

Votes: 29 72.5%
  • Age Of Empire III

Votes: 7 17.5%

• Total voters

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
1503354103_AOE4.gif

Platform: PC
Developer: Relic Entertainment
Publisher: Microsoft Studios
Release Date: Fall 2021
Genre: Strategy
Hype level: Over 9000

Announcement Trailer:

Social:

What we know so far:

The music will be composed by Mikolai Stroinski
Set in the Middle Age like Age Of Empires II
8 civilizations will be present in the game at launch
In term of design and graphic, AOE IV as opted for a Settlers like form of artstyle

The limit of units is set at 200 per player
Infantry can now patrol on top of wall and you can place traps in front of your city like walls of spades
The first two civilizations shown on the gameplay trailer are the English and the Mongol
English are easy to learn and they play the same as the other AOE games, the Mongol instead plays very differently
For example, the Mongols will be able to dismantle all their buildings in order to move elsewhere in case of an attack
Age Of Empires IV is VERY accurate historically talking with armors, weapons and buildings being accurately portrayed
We don't know the exact time period but the game will finish in the edge of the beginning of the Renaissance (interview with Adam Isgreen)
Ambush ! You can now hide in the woods and attack your enemy by surprise
Each unit speaks a correct language which evolves over the 4 ages of the game

Gameplay reveal:

The campaigns:

Age of Empires IV is adopting a documentary-style storytelling that will carry you through missions, beginning with William of Normandy’s battle for the English throne.
The game will have four playable campaigns at launch.

Confirmed civilizations:
  • Chinese
  • Dehli Sultanate
  • English
  • Mongols

Screenshots:

aoe4_del_010_min_1fb9725a6e.jpg
ss_82fa91b9bb81d1976edba09262cb84a46967f432.jpg
ss_472b4512ba783c91f60eb7423a9e0fc9d510dd8d.jpg
aoe4_del_008_min_34b7a54dd8.jpg

4.png
1.png
2.png
3.png

3.png
1.png
5.png
4.png

The series

gnfc.png

Age of Empires I and Rise Of Rome:
Released on October 26, 1997. Expansion out one year later on October 31, 1998
Developed by Ensemble Studios
The game give players a choice of 12 civilizations to develop from the Stone Age to the Iron Age. The expansion pack add four new civilizations.
Three million units sold by 2000 for the base game, and the expansion "Rise of Rome" sold one million copy by 2000.
[Wiki]

Age of Empires II: Age of Kings and The Conquerors:
Released on September 30, 1999. The Expansion, named The Conquerors (I don't count The Forgotten and The African Kingdoms) is out on August 24, 2000.
Still developed by Ensemble Studios, Age of Kings bring the series to the Middle Ages, from the Dark Ages to the Imperial Age. The player can choose one of the 13 civilizations available like Celts, Chinese, Franks etc...
The expansion add five new civilizations (the Aztecs, Mayans, Spanish, Koreans, and Huns). It feature a lots of new gameplay features, tweaks and game modes. Some additional maps are based on real life geographic locations and it also add four single player campaigns.
[Wiki]

Age of Empires III and The WarChiefs /Asian Dynasties
Released on October 18, 2005 . The first expansion was released in October 17, 2006 and The Asian Dynasties followed a year later on October 23, 2007.
The game, developed by Ensemble Studios and Big Huge Games portrays the European colonization of the Americas, between approximately 1492 and 1876 AD. There are 14 total civilizations playable.
It add the mechanic of the "Home City" which is displayed on a separate screen while playing, and is composed of five main buildings that allow the player to choose their new shipment cards and customizations.
The WarChiefs is the first expansion pack and add 3 civilizations: The Iroquois, the Sioux and the Aztecs. The main story shift the focus from the Old World civilizations to the peoples who were already living in America when the first European explorers started to arrive.
The Asian Dynasties on his side add 3 new campaigns, and also 3 new civilizations (India, China and Japan). They must build a Wonder to advance from age to age, instead of advancing from the Town Center. Unlike previous Age of Empires games, the player does not achieve victory by building a wonder.
[Wiki]

So now that the first gameplay has been released, how you feel about the setting (Middle Age again) and those large scale battles?
Are you disappointed by the graphics ? I am on board of the hype train but the thing is it's Relic so i'm afraid too. Dawn of War I is a really good game, II is a lot different but it's ok and III is a big disappointment so idk.
And I don't understand why Microsoft didn't give the license to Forgotten Empires, they port AOEII HD, and made The African Kingdoms/The Forgotten etc... so WHY? Relic is a dangerous choice in my opinion but we will see.

Last edited:

Housh

New AoE and Theme Hospital spiritual successor?! Can't wait to dust off my gaming PC.....would be awesome if all these games came out for Mac though.

Bl@de

I‘m looking forward to the game but an OT is way too early. We now nothing about the game.

Tevious

Ehh... I came into this thread thinking I missed out on some big news, but there's absolutely nothing new...

Hudo

Holy fuck that screenshot. I have the same feeling looking at it, that I had when I first looked at screenshots of AoE3.

I hope they move on to Age of Mythology 2 after this, still my favorite RTS of all time

(y) My mates really loved AoM back in the day. It's been on my "to-play" list on my retro gaming PC for far too long. I've recently found a renewed interest in mythology as well, so I should really bump it up to a higher priority.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
My AoE contribution: back in the day I played the fuck out of the demo version on Microsoft internet gaming zone and had a custom midi file for the soundtrack which was like a 20 minute Final Fantasy medley.

When I finally got the full version of the game I was impressed by the CG intro but the demo only had like Bronze Age tech and I got overwhelmed by all the new stuff....moved on to Starcraft soon after...

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Age of Empires IV​

EoY_MiniBanner_4.jpg

We are making great progress on Age of Empires IV. I don’t want to make you jealous, but we are literally playing this game every single day—both in Washington and in Vancouver.

RTS development is funny: it takes a while to build the separate systems (AI, economy, sim, rendering, etc), and then it takes a while for them to come together. But when they do, you suddenly have a game—a game that needs debugging and balance and polish— but the core of the game that you know you’re going to ship. And the best part is that it feels like an Age of Empires game.

Our partners at Relic have been incredible stalwarts as we all migrated development from office to home, and modified (through trial and error) our processes to help facilitate productivity to keep the game on track. So much passion, such great developers, artists, designers, narrators, audio experts, and community—not to mention the backbone functions that keep the company going.

Last edited:
Top Bottom