• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires 2 is coming to Steam? [Update: Evidence continues to mount, 4-pack]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiKeD

Banned
Might wanna have another go at this tonight. Been a while since I played it, and it's been staring at me for some time now from my desktop. Got the evening off aswell...hmmm. Any favourite settings people here like to play on they'd like to recommend?

Grief.exe

YES.

I would buy and gift all of my friends copies of a Steamworks version of AoM.

ALL OF THEM.

This seems to be the general reaction.

I think Microsoft is going to realize that they have been leaving money just sitting on the table.

Embracing digital distribution could bring in a good amount of revenue and we could see the flood gates upon up for old MGS games here in the next year.

Eideka

Banned
and we could see the flood gates upon up for old MGS games here in the next year.
That would be fantastic but unfortunately for me it's up to Epic to decide whether or not it makes sense financially to port Gears 2/3 on PC. :(

I really loved this series on 360, I would buy the trilogy at full price if they are ever released on PC/Steam.

Grief.exe

That would be fantastic but unfortunately for me it's up to Epic to decide whether or not it makes sense financially to port Gears 2/3 on PC. :(

I really loved this series on 360, I would buy the trilogy at full price if they are ever released on PC/Steam.

Would be nice if they would release some modern updates to these games.

Would love to see Halo 3, ODST, and Gears 2 free of GFWL. With dedicated servers, no mouse acceleration, and a great overall port.

Steamworks integration would be icing on the cake since you could easily join your friends, achievements, and pricing competition between GMG, Amazon, and Steam.

That is my dream.

I wish AOE2 would get the DOTA-> DOTA2 treatment. The game would be amazing with a graphical overhaul/spectator functions and proper matchmaking.

I am not an RTS fan. I've never been good enough at them to enjoy them.

I still played AoE 2 (and 1) non-stop. Not quite sure what it was about them.

Sibylus

Banned
I wonder if they will release the compatibility fix patch like the SS2 guys did late last year.

Kind of interesting that a patch that fixed everything just randomly dropped out of thin air.
And a fan expansion with new civs and architecture. Best year and (change) the game's had in over a decade?

I own 3 copies of the original Age of Empires (the original 1997 edition, Gold Edition, and the UbiSoft rerelease)

The music for each edition varies, but the music for the latter comes in midi format, the original sounds like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jh3C8cKT3M
Nostalgia! I liked the little allusion AoE III had to this, but at the same time it reminded how classic its music was.

I wish AOE2 would get the DOTA-> DOTA2 treatment. The game would be amazing with a graphical overhaul/spectator functions and proper matchmaking.
Gabe willing, I want to get in on the ground floor of a full RTS mod in Dota 2's engine, though my intentions are less 1:1 remake and more spiritual successor.

AoE is still a Microsoft property, right? I wonder if this is part of the same initiative as the supposed Halo Steam releases. Microsoft is sitting on a goldmine of old IPs that deserve digital releases.

Eideka

Banned
Would be nice if they would release some modern updates to these games.

Would love to see Halo 3, ODST, and Gears 2 free of GFWL. With dedicated servers, no mouse acceleration, and a great overall port.

Steamworks integration would be icing on the cake since you could easily join your friends, achievements, and pricing competition between GMG, Amazon, and Steam.

That is my dream.

I share this dream. But I'm afraid it will remain what it is, a dream.

i don't get it,what is so good about this game? i remember it being boring and inferior to starcraft.

Comparing it to Starcraft isn't really fair. They're different kinds of strategy games, with Age of Empires focusing more on long-term base buildup and different victory parameters, like wonders. It's much slower.

injurai

Banned
i don't get it,what is so good about this game? i remember it being boring and inferior to starcraft.

SC just has the most balanced competitive MP. But AoK is by far the best RTS ever made. AoM then probably did one ever and improved SP, but all around nobody has ever out conceived the brain child that Bruce Shelley birthed in the Age of Empires series.

Just the shear nature of the game and how the empires progress, coupled with game mechanics. StarCraft never really managed to capture what AoE could, and even still SC is based on a loosely sliding rps balance system.

relaxor

what?

Starcraft was over in the glossy AAA corner, amazing because after years of Blizzard making RTS where the two factions were almost exactly the same, the new one had three unique balanced sides. That was great.

Age of Kings had several dozen factions of varying natures, color, life, tons and tons of units on the screen, the buildings and units were kinda to scale, historical basis, those farms that you built whole fields of, all draped over the hills and whatnot.

AoE was the beautiful RTS to me.

Ultratech

you can also build castles and fill them full of like fifty elephants so when people blow up your castle elephants come out

War Elephants were the shit.

Making Elephant armies was fun as hell.

Age_of_Empires_War_Elephants_by_Tiffyx.jpg

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Would absolutely love to see the Age of Empires games (and AoM, never played it) on Steam.

Wonder what kind of compatibility fixes it would include, that user mod out there for AoE2 fixes and improves a ton of stuff. Maybe they could incorporate most of that. Or at least higher resolutions plus less restrictive unit limits.

Please treat this legendary piece of gaming history with the respect it deserves and give it proper online for all eternity.

And then do the same for AoM.

Oh god, yes. A Steamworks version of Age of Mythology would become one of my most played games.

I would love to see higher population caps, though.

inm8num2

Steam works includes an online API

Do you plan to play over the Zone?

LAN, baby.

Plus I don't care for achievements.

But to each their own. I'm just glad it's coming, and I hope MS releases other games like AoE 1, AoM, Flight Simulators, Zoo Tycoon, Black & White, etc.

I spent endless hours playing random maps against the AI, would love to give it another go. I think I might actually still have my original copy....

Grief.exe

LAN, baby.

Plus I don't care for achievements.

But to each their own. I'm just glad it's coming, and I hope MS releases other games like AoE 1, AoM, Flight Simulators, Zoo Tycoon, Black & White, etc.

I personally like Steamworks for several reasons.

Cloud Saves. In case I reformat or take my gaming to my laptop.
Achievements. I enjoy getting some of the harder ones and forces me to change my play style.
Steam. I like having all of my games accessible in one place.

But most importantly, if it is a Steamworks title, then there is heavy price competition. You can pick the game up from Steam, GMG, Amazon, or other retails for a better price.

Alex

War Elephants were the shit.

Making Elephant armies was fun as hell.

I think we played a few games back on GAF of AoE II WAYYYY back in the day (like, a decade or more) and I remember one turned into this big fucking elephant pile up match. :lol

AoE II thread without OST mention?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehZMQ9Q1Jko

God damn.. this brings back so many memories. If they implement online MM... Day 0 !

I loved it too, used to love when this part popped up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehZMQ9Q1Jko&feature=youtu.be&t=6m25s

inm8num2

I personally like Steamworks for several reasons.

Cloud Saves. In case I reformat or take my gaming to my laptop.
Achievements. I enjoy getting some of the harder ones and forces me to change my play style.
Steam. I like having all of my games accessible in one place.

But most importantly, if it is a Steamworks title, then there is heavy price competition. You can pick the game up from Steam, GMG, Amazon, or other retails for a better price.

Don't get me wrong, I won't argue against those points as they are a matter of preference. But personally I just like having games, especially older ones, DRM-free. I'm not going to need to play a game like AoE II on two different PCs multiple times per day.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I recently began playing through Age of Empires (via Rise of Rome) for the first time in donkey's years and I quickly developed the urge to strip the map of its natural resources before completing the level. Needless to say, some levels can take... a long time.

SummitAve

Banned
Some guy on the previous page said this isn't happening with a quoted steam source.....If gaf wants to get in on some gameranger action, I'm in. With defunct developers too I don't see a problem with acquiring this game either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom