• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires 4 announced, made by Relic (Dawn of War/Homeworld/Company of Heroes)

Proelite

I think there is two directions they can go with AOE4.

Reboot with classic age: Stone age, bronze age, iron age, imperial age. They'll have to be really creative with the game mechanics in order to be unique compared to the AOE DE.

Pre modern age: Colonial to WWI. WWI is the last war where traditional calvary and massed formations still made sense. WWII is too much of a leap forward with mechanized warfare and should be explored perhaps in the sequel. Development wise it's inefficient to develop the mechanics of mechanized naval, aerial, and terrestrial mechanized warfare thatll be explored in a fraction of the time of a fraction of the matches.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
It's kinda funny how Sega became the RTS Publisher by owning Relic and CA (I know Sega isn't the actual publisher of the game)

You want to revive your dormant RTS franchise? Better call Sega.
At this point I'm almost expecting a C&C revival from Creative Assembly

Lucumo

Not that I'm aware of, but they are one of the only publishers/devs left standing I would trust with a license like AoE.

They would want more independence though than MS would provide.

No thanks, I would like to enjoy a game without having to buy at least half the DLCs for it.

It's kinda funny how Sega became the RTS Publisher by owning Relic and CA (I know Sega isn't the actual publisher of the game)

Hey, Herzog Zwei released on their console and they published the game in NA.

Coxy100

Banned

Stop teasing me :(

Has Paradox developed/funded any RTS games?

I think doubting Relic because of one middling game is really selling short the good work they've done in RTS games for a number of years.

header.jpg

However, it's more RTT than RTS. There is no base building or anything. You purchase units with points and etc. Really good game though!

patapuf

Yeah

If you want a bigger studio with RTS experience outside of Sega there's.... petroglyph? It's not a very long list. Almost everyone is dead :(

Edit: there's Blizzard of course.

Window

Wait, AoEII and III are getting the definitive edition treatment as well? AoEI looks like its being remade on the the AoM engine, is it the same with AoEII? I guess AoEIII will its original engine?

Hektor

Sorry, but was AoE ever in the same league as Blizzard's RTSes?

Age of Empires 2 with certainty. It's always been lauded as one of the best RTS games of all time by critics and fans

On metaceitic it even got the same score as Warcraft 3.

sibarraz

Banned
I see no problem with the trailer, is explaining all the eras that the game has lived while telling you that a 4th entry is coming. It will be incredible if they are sticking to that old ensemble ad and the game is based in 2 world wars, but I don't know if story wise this eras could led to the same "building an empire" vibe that the first 3 games has.

By the way, does microsoft has anyone from ensemble that has worked on the old games in this project?

Or at least the guys that developed AOE 2 HD?

Absolutely, with Age of Empires 2 and later the Conquerors epansion they were in the highest echelon of strategy makers. As fate would have it, Age of Mythology and Warcraft 3 came out at about the same time. One local magazine had the beggining of the article something like the rts empire is dominated by the two rival houses, Ensemble and Blizzard. Age of Empires is a series that sold tens of millions of copies. Age of Empires is in the elite with the likes of Command&Conquer or Starcraft

Absolutely, with Age of Empires 2 and later the Conquerors epansion they were in the highest echelon of strategy makers. As fate would have it, Age of Mythology and Warcraft 3 came out at about the same time. One local magazine had the beggining of the article something like the rts empire is dominated by the two rival houses, Ensemble and Blizzard. Age of Empires is a series that sold tens of millions of copies. Age of Empires is in the elite with the likes of Command&Conquer or Starcraft

this... Relic and Microsoft can't fuck this release up the pc gaming community would torch them...

sibarraz

Banned
This must be by far the biggest exclusive that the W10 could ever had, I'm impressed by how mainstream the game is.

Sadly, I doubt that they will improve the store to make it easy for casuals (or hardcores) but well, I don't really mind the store, so is a day 1 purchase for me

Window

I know AoE3 was met with mixed responses by the fans but I think it may be my favourite (but again I'm mediocre at these games so I'm probably missing what was lost in the transition from II to III).

sibarraz

Banned
AOE3 has lots of things that I loved

-The graphics are gorgeous, even today. Everything looked so big and detailed, and it was cool to see more differences between the units of the civilizations. Also the physics of the game blowed my mind back then. Also the unique units felt cooler than ever, specially those bigs cannons of the ottomans, or the british red jackets

-The upgraded evolution of eras was awesome.

-I loved the deck system, and it was super cool to see the biggest port/capital of each empire, even the native americans ones which were little settlements were cool to see.

-I liked the campaign of the first game, never played the campaigns of the expansions though

Back them I enjoyed more AoE3 than 2, it is more accesible and varied. There is ton of variety for every civilization but, later I'll realize they took away too much of the strategy appeal of 2, like base building, walling and that feeling of equality the second has.

I could watch those cannon shots all day.

Window

It probably has one of my favorites soundtracks in games. It's really evocative and really matches well with the discovery of The New World theme the game has got going.

AOE3 is only criticized because of its differences from AOE2. I've seen very few people attempt to make a solid argument as to how those differences make AOE3 *worse* than AOE2 and not simply different.

I really like AOE3

I've been playing it LTTP since last year, and I think it is pretty good. I only have War Chiefs expansion, but still haven't played it lol

Though I've played AOE2HD more anyway, but both are great.

EDIT: Has someone recieved an e-mail for the AOE DE beta? Trailer said it started today.

Lom1lo

AoE3 is awesome but I dont like the card/city stuff, it makes it hard to just drop in after a while and play a quick match

Xbox have to give all their exclusives to PC while PC doesn't. Seems fair

That doesn't bother me in the slightest. Quite the opposite actually, I think it's a very good thing for them to bring their games to the store, I just wished it was all games already (even those without proper uwp ports).

It's just one game that I really wanted to play, and I don't really like to game on pc, unless I absolutely have to.

If they develop both at the same time of course it will compromise the game.

Not if they design the game for the mouse+keyboard first, and then try to make it work with a controller.

Even if they launch first at PC because of that. It wouldn't hurt to say: We are focusing on PC first to deliver a first class citizen age experience, but we are definitely bringing it to xbox afterwards.

Everyone would be happy, and I don't think not even the xbox owners would complain about waiting a little longer knowing that the game is coming.

Aangster

AOE3 has lots of things that I loved

-The graphics are gorgeous, even today. Everything looked so big and detailed, and it was cool to see more differences between the units of the civilizations. Also the physics of the game blowed my mind back then. Also the unique units felt cooler than ever, specially those bigs cannons of the ottomans, or the british red jackets

-The upgraded evolution of eras was awesome.

-I loved the deck system, and it was super cool to see the biggest port/capital of each empire, even the native americans ones which were little settlements were cool to see.

-I liked the campaign of the first game, never played the campaigns of the expansions though

Can't forget unit production stacking (up to 5) too, such a convenience. Would recommend checking out the expansion campaigns, particularly Asian Dynasties if you're a fan of campaigns more rooted to history.

Durante

Not if they design the game for the mouse+keyboard first, and then try to make it work with a controller.
In my experience, that's never ever how it happens for games envisioned from the start to also appear on consoles. (See Diablo 3 for a high-profile example)

Sölf

Trailer says nothing. I skipped 3, but I would love if it would play more like 1 and 2. Would probably buy it then.

gabbo

AOE3 is only criticized because of its differences from AOE2. I've seen very few people attempt to make a solid argument as to how those differences make AOE3 *worse* than AOE2 and not simply different.

This is how I feel as well. It isn't AoK, but is still a damn fine RTS on its own right, and I've never heard much of an argument other than it's not more AoK.
And the Relic hate, their faults recently have been in trying to combine their early RTS efforts that are more classic RTS (eg AoE/C&C/Starcraft base building) with the more modern take on RTS that's about tactics over unit and bases. I feel they can separate those two without much issue

header.jpg

However, it's more RTT than RTS. There is no base building or anything. You purchase units with points and etc. Really good game though!

Isn't that Eugen, and published by Paradox?

Eugen are great. I loved RUSE so much, and the Wargames (I think: EE and AirLand Battle etc) were good too.

Yep. The last great RTS developer. We should be pretty happy.

Their 2 most recent games have had pretty significant flaws though, especially Dawn of War 3 which it seems a massive amount of people considered to just be the complete wrong direction for the series and them not really getting what people liked about the previous 2 games.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Damn straight. Age of Empires 3 is fantastic. Cannons are a bit OP, but then again that's more a nod to realism then anything.

zoukka

Their 2 most recent games have had pretty significant flaws though, especially Dawn of War 3 which it seems a massive amount of people considered to just be the complete wrong direction for the series and them not really getting what people liked about the previous 2 games.

Their loss. The game is impeccable though.

peak ensemble was better than peak blizzard
blizzard made lower-spec games, so ensemble ones had better pathfinding, UI, graphics, etc.

and in terms of game design, random maps are a tier above static ones

Maxey

Yes! Loved the first two, barely played the third one but I hope they nail the spirit of the original games with this one.

DrSlek

After the success of the HD release of AoE 2 and the subsequent expansions, Microsoft must have a pretty good clue about what AoE fans want from this game.

I am quietly optimistic they wont fuck this up.

Top Bottom