• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires IV - X019 - Gameplay Reveal

pr0cs

Looks wicked, guess I'm in the minority but I'm happy for a "large number of units" kinda RTS player. Tired of trying to shoe in a story /characters into the RTS genre

manfestival

I have mixed feelings. I used to love relic everything but after DoW3... I will just be cautiously optimistic since my old favorites(IE: Infinity ward and Blizzard) have fallen from grace

Bkdk

Looks ok, but with this safe approach seems like should’ve go for full blown remake AOE2 in a modern engine. I’d still be as hype.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Get the gameplay right please, but for now I don't see anything bad so hope for the best (and prepare for the worst)

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm new to PC (only had a proper gaming rig for about a year) I never tried AoE4. Does this look better? Seem like people are generally impressed with the gameplay.

TheContact

That art style really pops, but I think the larger battles are a mistake.

Simplicity is strength.

This is why I liked WC3 so much. As much as I loved Starcraft 1, battles, especially in BGH, were just massive raids and it was difficult to micro all the units. WC3 understood this and made each unit stronger but more expensive, so micro management was the key to winning battles, not just massive zergs. The RTS genre is not doing great, in my opinion, because it still takes an incredible amount of dexterity and mental skill to be able to do that kind of micro management as opposed to something like FPS games or MMOs which are more about playing smart than aiming correctly or having the best gear. RTS games are much harder to master in that regard, and therefore less appealing to gamers. I love watching pros play them though.

Mattyp

Gold Member
This looks more like a pre-render than gameplay. Is there actually any gameplay footage out yet?

? This is gameplay footage. They've just removed the hud of user commanding the units to attack, the same as we don't see the hud in the majority of trailers.

Hudo

So, I had to take a bit of time off to calm down because I've been waiting for a new Age game for... ages.

I admit that I was a bit confused at first, not because of the setting they've chosen, but rather because it seemed a bit more like a Settlers game. But after looking at the trailer a few times more, I have to say that I am VERY excited. It seems like Relic are trying to evolve the formula, which is a good thing. I don't think an Age2-clone in a different setting would've been the right thing to do. I just hope the things they are trying are well designed and fit into the Age-formula as a whole without completely ruining it. After all, they tried to infuse MOBA-shit into Dawn of War 3 and it was a disaster...
In any case, I like what I have seen so far. Let's hope they don't fuck it up!

Maybe we'll even get an Age of Mythology 2 or a Rise of Nations 2 down the line?

So reassuring to see Adam Isgreen at the helm of Age of Empires. Dude knows his RTS games.

Last edited:
It should be interesting game, however I would rather see more realistic art direction. Why these days every game has to be so colorful?
Remember a decade ago when everyone was complaining about all games being brown and grey? Colors happened, then everyone followed the trend. That's how it always has been.

With that said, I pretty much hate the AoE4 artstyle. It looks like a mobile game. I wish they had gone for a more realistic artstyle. I think AoE2 looks better

Dada55000

That looks more like Empire Earth 4.
This is why I liked WC3 so much. As much as I loved Starcraft 1, battles, especially in BGH, were just massive raids and it was difficult to micro all the units. WC3 understood this and made each unit stronger but more expensive, so micro management was the key to winning battles, not just massive zergs. The RTS genre is not doing great, in my opinion, because it still takes an incredible amount of dexterity and mental skill to be able to do that kind of micro management as opposed to something like FPS games or MMOs which are more about playing smart than aiming correctly or having the best gear. RTS games are much harder to master in that regard, and therefore less appealing to gamers. I love watching pros play them though.
WC3 literally killed itself by being too micro heavy. Ever wonder why everyone and their mother played DotA Allstars instead of MP? The custom game type that nukes everything except microing 1 hero unit? It's almost like it was manageable compared to base game to normies. That's just Moba, then you look at other popular custom games, and all of them just get rid of most of the game and focus on either managing 1 unit, usually hero units, or 1 builder building shit, like the 74000 tower defense maps.

Microing 1 hero. That's the peak of what people are willing to put up with. Microing multiple 12 stacks and switching between heroes and casters on top of building, researching, resource gathering? They'll just leave for the first alternative that gets rid of a bunch of shit while keeping what they like. And so they did, to Dota/LoL. Now, you can't put the genie back in the bottle, as SC2 has shown. People will no longer put up with that level of micro, period. They'd rather go autistic on their preferred hero in League, which is sth even a child can do.

Honestly, the genre as a whole was a victim of SC's popularity. It made everyone, players and developers alike believe a high skill ceiling was the core of RTS. Which wasn't the case, that was just SC. C&C up to and including RA2 was so fucking easy as a game to play, that a 6 year old could enjoy it while using only a mouse. But then in the 2000s devs wanted to be the next SC and the most vocal people on the internet were the MP/SC types, so they fed into eachother. The SC audience that got bored of BW hopped game from game before ending up playing DotA to pass the time until SC2(which most of them then gave up on and went back to BW or LoL), and the audience of all those old series withered away due to the shift in game design, like C&C.

Tevious

I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. Age IV was always intended to be 1800s+ (Age of Nations) by Ensemble Studios, but we're getting another medieval game instead. I feel like they have a lot to live up to with AoE2 and they couldn't possibly have as much content as AoE2 DE. The gameplay would have to be really good.

SLB1904

Banned
Any hands on gameplay?
Because this is looking too good.
Total war gave me hope for this types games looking pretty. And if this game actually looks like that I'm in.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Used to love me some age of empires. Take it there is no chance of this ever coming to PS4/5? Is the developer Microsoft owned? Probably crap without a keyboard and mouse anyway.

HeadsUp7Up

Been burning a lot of hours playing Age of Empires II lately. Depending on specs required to play at 4K this and Microsoft Flight Simulator may actually lead me to update my gaming rig from my i5-4570 and 970 to whatever is affordable at the time they come out. I’m thinking it’ll be AMD with their insane price to performance ratio for multiple core CPUs.

Kenpachii

I hope they push insane amounts of detail into the game itself like anno does. And skip consoles entirely with it.

nikolino840

Used to love me some age of empires. Take it there is no chance of this ever coming to PS4/5? Is the developer Microsoft owned? Probably crap without a keyboard and mouse anyway.
It's hard seeing this game on Xbox so PlayStation i don't think so

Is made by relics under the Age of Empires studios owned by Microsoft (now worlds Edge) under the Xbox games studios proriety

So maybe Microsoft decide to make a console version for PS First..i don't know..

Top Bottom