• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Aggressive vegans" are putting off people from changing eating habits, study finds

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Do aggressive vegans hunt in packs? How do I defend myself from the onslaught of them ordering something else while I'm at a restaurant? When is it okay to use an anecdote about someone's shitheaded brother in law as license to blanket-judge every veggie eating hippie I see?

Herbivores don't hunt.

They're more like wildebeest. Just avoid them unless you see an elderly/young one straggle behind the main herd then you should call in your pride to gank it.

Joe

The myths of the "aggressive vegans", "SJWs", and "millenials!" are linked somehow and that correlation is one of the top stories of the 2010s so far.

kirblar

Nothign rolls my eyes hard enough then people that make everything about their diet.

"I have a gluten free, so can you make sure it is organic?"

Fool I just saw you eat a whole sack of crazy bread by yourself.
There's nothing that people w/ Celiac Disease hate more than people like this because it makes their lives so much more difficult.

Pinkuss

Herbivores don't hunt.

They're more like wildebeest. Just avoid them unless you see an elderly/young one straggle behind the main heard then you should call in your pride to gank it.

Herbivores defend themselves though, it's all fair game in that regard :) (We are omnivores mind, we can eat a wide range of foods, some of just chose to not eat things which may suffer or are killed for us).

Can we make a thread about aggressiveness towards Vegans/Veggies from meat eaters; because apparently we deserve it (sure that's a classic bullying get out clause, somehow it's fine here; do actually think it's kind of nice people saying how it's not that widespread this kind of talk because it bloody is).

Mulligan

Banned
Ummm, thats what I was trying to do?

My comments was directed at all those assclown vegans who go around proclaiming themselves superior to everyone else and calling you a monster for eating meat.

Who the fuck wants to put up with that?

Your post comes across as you referring to meat eaters as assholes. My bad

The myths of the "aggressive vegans", "SJWs", and "millenials!" are linked somehow and that correlation is one of the top stories of the 2010s so far.

Shit. I'm all three.

They're gonna come for me.

giphy.gif

There's nothing that people w/ Celiac Disease hate more than people like this because it makes their lives so much more difficult.

Is that true in general though? I know two Celiac sufferers and they're fucking thrilled that gluten-free is a trend because it expands their options when eating out or shopping at supermarkets.

n=3 now, but I just gotta be sure about this gluten free thing before I build my veganproof suit of armor.

RDreamer

Aggressive vegans are not a myth. I've met plenty of them in person.

I've met way more aggressive meat eaters toward vegans/vegetarians than I have aggressive vegans toward meat eaters. Like... way more. It's not even close of a number. Most vegetarians I know get fucking outright harassed by meat eaters. It's freaking strange.

watershed

Banned
I'm sure "aggressive vegans" are the reason why people aren't changing their eating habits and not because change is hard, changing fundamental aspects of someone's life like what they eat is even harder, and meat tastes good.

Davidion

What happens when a vegan also does crossfit?

I remember watching this youtube channel called Vegan Gains, which is on paper a fitness channel, but the handful of videos I watched were all just this guy attacking and whining other fitness people who belittled or offended vegans in some way.

It was weird, and kinda sad.

The vegans I've met are maybe a little sensitive about food, but are generally pretty nice and not much judgmental.

Aggressive vegans aren't a myth. They're just vegans who make their whole life about their causes and can't get through a situation with food without telling people that they should act like they do.

Derwind

Wtf is aggressive veganism? Are we talking about those activists on the side of the road holding up pictures of slaughtered animals Or that one friend/family member that is very particular about the food & cooking preparations at a cookout?

I literally never met an aggressive vegan in my life.

ApharmdX

Banned
This study doesn't surprise me. For myself, I used to argue with vegans but I realized that I don't need to defend being an omnivore. I can afford to eat meat. I enjoy eating meat. I'll continue to eat meat as long as the previous two statements apply. I have no problem if someone doesn't want to consume animal products but that's a personal choice.

Now could someone pass the lamb chops, please.

I would guess the perception of asshole vegans is probably more substantial than actual asshole vegans, unless you live in one of those max hipster urban enclaves on the West coast.

It's definitely a stereotype about vegans, and it's not universal, but my god when you run across one of "those vegans" it really is obnoxious.

Slayven

I always wondered how people felt about their conditions being turned into fads.

If you don't want gluten, just say it, don't be co-opting other people's struggles.

I've met way more aggressive meat eaters toward vegans/vegetarians than I have aggressive vegans toward meat eaters. Like... way more. It's not even close of a number. Most vegetarians I know get fucking outright harassed by meat eaters. It's freaking strange.

I have never met a meat eater that said "I won't eat at this establishment because they serve vegetables here". I have met vegans that won't go into a room or business that serves meat. Its not a myth

Soul Beat

All the vegan people I've met have been super nice and don't mind others eating meat in frint of them. I've never met an aggressive vegan.

Not discounting the possibility of them existing, lurking in the shadows, waiting for the right opportunity to violently snap at me for enjoying a delicious steak though.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I've known both vegetarians who are totally cool with other people not following their practices and are very polite when they make requests for things. I've also known others who are very overbearing and in your face about it. For example, a vegetarian boss who gets in her employees' faces when she sees them eating meat, and requires that all employees bring vegetarian meals to any company potlucks.

By and large though, most vegetarians I've met come from the former camp. They just practice their lifestyle choice without pressuring others to do the same, which is fine by me. I respect their choices and they respect mine.

It's kind of the same thing as religious practices. I'm totally fine with other people's religious practices as long as they don't get aggressive to me about it. I'm much more likely to respect your faith if you're not constantly getting in my face about how I'm a horrible person for not following it.

kirblar

Is that true in general though? I know two Celiac sufferers and they're fucking thrilled that gluten-free is a trend because it expands their options when eating out or shopping at supermarkets.

n=3 now, but I just gotta be sure about this gluten free thing before I build my veganproof suit of armor.
It's a double-edged sword. The increased awareness and product offerings are great. But having "Gluten Free" options at Dominos/Papa John's that people w/ Celiac disease can't actually eat is not.

Pinkuss

I have never met a meat eater that said "I won't eat at this establishment because they serve vegetables here". I have met vegans that won't go into a room or business that serves meat. Its not a myth

I'm confused, I will eat at a place that serves meat but meat eaters eat Veg, Vegans don't eat meat for ethical reasons. What's your point? We don't own Veg, if you consider meat a food over veg what the hecks wrong with you; you're an omnivore with I assume no ethical issue with veg.

Well, while I'm not like that, is it not easy to understand why? There's no viable moral objection to eating vegetables. That's a false equivalence.

Glass Rebel

As someone who loves chicken I can't help but laugh at the insecurity meateaters put on display when it comes to vegans. How do you feel threatened by someone who can't even build muscle?

Zakalwe

Banned
I personally know quite a few vegans having been one myself (currently attempting to again) for quite a few years in the past.

And only one of the many I met was preachy, and even then they were really nice about it.

I've met /plenty/ of people act like shits when it comes to vegansim.

I'm aware preachy shitty vegans exist, I've seen them on social media etc... but I think this is a case of a vocal minority being obnoxious and people not liking being told they're doing something bad.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

The philosophical differences between the two stances will explain why that occurs.

RDreamer

I've met a lot of meat eaters that won't go into vegan restaurants, refuse to eat vegan meals, etc. Seriously, during my wedding the baker advised not to label the cupcakes as vegan because it'd turn people away.

Seriously, in my corner of the states the second you say you're vegan or vegetarian you get outright harassed and shown meat and told how amazing it is over and over.

I've also never met a vegetarian/vegan that refused to go into a restaurant that serves meat. Not doubting they exist, but I've met a ton of vegetarians/vegans in my life. Married one, even, and just haven't met someone like that. They go out to the same restaurants as others but order some shit that doesn't have meat.

Plum

As someone who loves chicken I can't help but laugh at the insecurity meateaters put on display when it comes to vegans. How do you feel threatened by someone who can't even build muscle?

Yep. If you feel threatened by vegans then I have to wonder why you can't just own the fact that you eat meat. I eat a lot of meat and I love doing so, it's tasty as fuck; I don't feel the need to assert any form of "dominance" over the vegan/veggie menace like some others do.

"How can you find a vegan in a darkened room? Don't worry, they'll be the only one not telling this joke."

Fuchsdh

I would guess the perception of asshole vegans is probably more substantial than actual asshole vegans, unless you live in one of those max hipster urban enclaves on the West coast.

I think it's simply a fact that the more militant someone is, the more likely you're going to know they are ___.

It's why militant atheists and vegans are a stereotype. People remember their friend who just won't shut up or refuses to be in the same room as meat more than the people who are quiet about it and don't impose upon others. It's perception.

Aikidoka

I've wondered if it would be more efficient if the movement focused on having one meat-free day a week rather than the extreme of none at all.

IMO aggressive vegans are not so much people like this GAFer's cousin's wife:

my cousins wife cannot be in the same house if theres food that isnt 100% vegan being eaten or cooked. she will leave and sit outside during meals.

but more like people like this:

cYA43gil.jpg

EjoOyAOl.jpg

9uTyqfcl.jpg

LmF8Aa1l.jpg

But I live in Europe where demonstrations and these kinds of public "happenings" are more common than in the US, I think.

I enjoy the lecture from Vegans. It makes tearing into raw meat all the more satisfying.

You know the vast majority of us have eaten meat at one point in time, yeah? We're not so sensitive that the mere sight of meat consumption causes us to panic...

I've never met an aggressive vegan but a lot of people on the internet talk about them so they must be real and annoying.
Same here, I know lots of people who are vegan or vegetarian but none are annoying or aggressive. Kind of weird people on the internet always bump in to those who start to preach about in imminently.

Carl2291

We don't like cocky dickheads telling us how to live our lives. Not really news and certainly not limited to vegans.

Top Bottom