• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Aggressive vegans" are putting off people from changing eating habits, study finds

B33

Banned
Making a pitch for a Netflix original series called "Aggressive Vegans." Will let all of you know how it goes.

jwk94

Do vegans actually do this? I've never been around a vegan or vegetarian that's tried to push me in that direction.

That's a different conversation and I agree it's not very effective given how many people look like they're ignoring them in those photos.

But I think it's pretty thats pretty passive in terms of demonstrations.

Could they be more effective in their message yeah but I've seen this demonstrations all the time downtown and everyone just walks around those displays without a single interruption in their day.

Their might be far more aggressive demonstrations but I've never seen them personally.

I think it's on that aggressive/assholy kind of line. I have to walk by these places with my daughter, who's just turned 2. I mean I'm glad they have the right to their free speech, but because you can do something doesn't mean you have to. We all make moral choices each morning, and no one forces anyone to push the limit to the extremes. I can wear a shirt that has a bunch of flaccid penis's on it to a chuck e-cheese, and then yell at parents who complain about my free speech rights, but then I'm just being a prick.

This kind of stuff is a huge turn off, and will paint a sour image of Vegans, and the messages behind it. I feel the exact same way about the anti-abortionists that do this kind of display at our local malls, it reflects extremely poorly on the religious groups behind them, and divides people further.

TaterTots

Banned
I've met some asshole veg heads before, but they do not irritate me nearly as much as the people who will gladly eat meat from a slaughter house where animals are physically tortured and judge me for hunting. Those people are the worst.

chadtwo

As annoying as these types of vegans/vegetarians are, I can't help but feel that with every thread about some obnoxious vegan/vegetarian, at least a handful of people treat it as license to judge veganism/vegetarianism as a concept

I've had people seemingly triggered by the simple fact that I don't eat meat. And no, I don't tell people about my dietary preferences unless asked explicitly. Sorry for offending you by not eating animals, I guess?

Dynasty

Do vegans actually do this? I've never been around a vegan or vegetarian that's tried to push me in that direction.

You will obviously find the extremes just like with every group but the vast majority will not even talk about the subject unless someone else brings it up.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
No it doesn't. They may have their "reasons" but they aren't good reasons. Not enough to make a difference. And I know you're going to explain it to me but... my meat isn't going to jump on your plate if you sit at my table/booth. At the same time, I'm not going to invite you to a down south BBQ joint if you don't eat meat.

And I know you're going to explain it to me but...

lol..if you insist.

No it doesn't. They may have their "reasons" but they aren't good reasons.
Yes, it does. What's a "good" reason, anyway? Not financially supporting institutions that encourage larger than necessary carbon footprints is not a good reason? It's an objective reason, with empirically measurable quantities. What's the meat-eating perspective? "I like the taste of meat"? Purely subjective.

Not enough to make a difference.
Have you never participated in a boycott before? Ever? If you take a stance against buying clothes made using sweatshop labor, is it really that out of line to not buy anything from GAP or Banana Republic anymore? Is that not enough to make a difference? If it is, are you okay with someone else marginalizing your philosophy on child labor?

my meat isn't going to jump on your plate if you sit at my table/booth. At the same time, I'm not going to invite you to a down south BBQ joint if you don't eat meat.
If that's how you are paraphrasing the issue as you see it, then you don't understand the issue.

JJDubz

Those meat eaters were probably never going to change anyway.

That's how I see it. This is just the easy excuse; get to have a bit of a persecution complex and stay the course.

I say this as a meat eater. Typically not a part of my daily diet, but I still eat it occasionally.

There's also the part where veganism is extremely unhealthy and not much of a benefit for the environment. The only reason to go vegan is for sentimental reasons.

I've seen interactions with vegans devolve when certain vegans used slavery imagery to raise awareness, completely forgetting that Black people in this country were lower than animals. It was a photo of a pig being lynched.

Also, conversations turned badly when the cost of food was mentioned, and people had to explain that food deserts exist, and availability affected cost and choice.

This is a very small number mind you and I wouldn't say this attitude is prevalent but if someone has an encounter with a militant vegan, I can see how it can sour people.

And as a side piece, I don't think a person owes anyone explanation of their eating habits unless they're physicians or something. People can have medical restrictions relating to diet, and they should not have to disclose anything to strangers.

Yeah slavery=Massfarming is unempathetic argument to bring up. It does more harm than good. Vegans can come to make this because they believe suffering is equal regardless of other consciousness.

Suffering of any kind inflicted on something by humans is bad. Humans or otherwise. Animals have no way to reduce their own suffering and will need other humans to make the argument for them. Even if its to start by lessening the amount of animal products one consumes day by day.

There's also the part where veganism is extremely unhealthy.

Get the fuck out of here with your bullshit.

I tend to actually agree a lot about veganism when it's about environment, health and animal suffering. I don't however agree with them when they consider you to be an actual murderer (or a racist/"specist") because you eat meat. It's really off putting.

However, i don't think that nobody seriously considering giving up meat would not do so because of vegans "aggressiveness". I was vegetarian almost all my life and i always hated those guys but it didn't made me a meat-eater. You gotta be pretty weak in your commitment for that.

Zakalwe

Banned
i can see that happening but will take a lot of time till vegen substitutes for animal meat is cheap enough to be a viable alternative in third world countries. If and when that happens Id be fine with shifting if the imitation is nearly identical. Till then I'm fine with killing animals.

Fair position. Eat what you want. I'd be happier if you locally sourced it or hunted/killed it yourself of course, but that's not my place to say anything either. :p

I think we'll see a substantial shift within the next decade. Impossible meat is already getting close, just need to make it commercially viable.

Errr, I've never had this in 11 years (and 15 years being Veggie).

Pretty much uber vegan or "straight edge" cats I grew up with, who would devour everything I threw in the pit, then had an extreme turn to "fuck eating meat" on a dime. Not a fan of being talked down to on the subject, but they don't ALL do it. I just bust out old pictures to shut them up..😁

It's why I find the concept of not trying it just because some folks come off as disagreeable a joke. Not gonna join them..I think my wife would actually leave me. She's been looking at me sideways since I made that cauliflower rice thread yesterday lol..

Servbot24

Banned
I personally know quite a few vegans having been one myself (currently attempting to again) for quite a few years in the past.

And only one of the many I met was preachy, and even then they were really nice about it.

I've met /plenty/ of people act like shits when it comes to vegansim.

I'm aware preachy shitty vegans exist, I've seen them on social media etc... but I think this is a case of a vocal minority being obnoxious and people not liking being told they're doing something bad.

Definitely one of those cases where the people complaining about the issue are way worse than the issue itself.

Madness

more than a quarter cited other vegans as a reason not to revise their diet.

What does this have to do with eating healthier and not eating meat? I get if they don't want to associate with vegans or veganism, but saying I will choose to keep eating red meat because those who don't are being jerks makes no sense? Like saying, I will continue to keep being religious out of spite because a lot of atheists are assholes.

If you want to eat meat, eat meat. If you don't, don't.

Damaniel

Banned
I've known a number of vegans over the years - some who did it primarily for health, and some that did it for ethical reasons. The health-oriented vegans were, on the whole, pretty respectful when it came to others eating meat around them or going to places that served meat. The ethical vegans, on the other hand? Universally disgusted by meat and everyone who dared to touch it. I stopped dating one girl because of this - she carried around these little cards (I think they were from PETA) that you could leave on the table when you leave the restaurant to shame the establishment for either lacking vegan options or having meat options. I was mortified when she tried to put one of those down on the table and pretty much knew that relationship was never going to work out.

Jenov

This seems more like a study of perceptions of vegans as opposed to any actual aggressiveness of vegans.

But on the rare occasion I need to deal with an aggressive vegan I find small handheld fans or slight inclines keep them safely at bay.

/dead

Zakalwe

Banned
How about you provide some sources to that effect?

I'm too lazy, sorry. I know that makes my point flimsy, but it's still true. You'll see it yourself if you can be bothered to look into it.

There are vegan communities on facebook, for example. Why not join one and propose the question and see what answers you get for a start?

There's also the part where veganism is extremely unhealthy and not much of a benefit for the environment. The only reason to go vegan is for sentimental reasons.

You're trolling, right?

EDIT: removed the rudeness because I'm trying to be better...

Definitely one of those cases where the people complaining about the issue are way worse than the issue itself.

I agree.

But I'm currently attempting to be a vegan. :p

Servbot24

Banned
How about you provide some sources to that effect?

I don't have a source but I can vouch for myself and the vegans I know that's it's primarily about the carbon footprint as well as a personal goal for people who thrive under strict dietary boundaries. I really don't care that much about eating animals, that's part of nature (I do care about bad farming conditions though).

Plum

Making a pitch for a Netflix original series called "Aggressive Vegans." Will let all of you know how it goes.

"Next Week on Aggressive Vegans:"

"One vegan tells someone at a party that they don't want a a hot dog because they're vegan."

"Another attends a peaceful protest outside a local slaughterhouse during a day off work."

"And finally, someone asks if there's a vegan option at a restauraunt during a friendly night out with his friends."

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Can we make a thread about aggressiveness towards Vegans/Veggies from meat eaters; because apparently we deserve it (sure that's a classic bullying get out clause, somehow it's fine here; do actually think it's kind of nice people saying how it's not that widespread this kind of talk because it bloody is).

Why not make a thread yourself instead of trying to incite others to do it for you?

No, but it does make you more complicit in the suffering of animals.

If you're aware of that and fine with it then fair enough. In time I think the entire planet will be vegan anyway, if we make it that far.

You cannot prove I'm more complicit in the suffering of animals that a saintly vegan. Bullshit and bogus holier-than-thou claim.

Entire planet will be vegan? Really? That's pretty damm stupid.

One of my best friends is vegan and it took us months to even find out. I just started noticing him avoiding stuff and asked and said "Oh yeah, I'm Vegan". He doesn't care what anyone else eats, doesn't brag or try to convert or talk about it at all really. Pretty much how it's been with any others I've come across. I've seen some hostile vegans/vegetarians online, but what group of people doesn't have hostile dicks online?

Fuchsdh

Can you explain this please?

I'm not sure there's any picture where plant-based diets are worse than an omnivorous diet, at least from the climate change perspective, but the "eating plants = better for the environment" line can be seriously misleading. Downing all that almond milk terribly strains water resources, for example, and from an environmental perpsective they are a terrible crop to grow because they require large amounts of water constantly. So much so that parts of California are sinking because they've drawn so heavily from the water table. Like most environmental issues, it's not as simple as people would like to say "X is good, Y is bad."

I don't have a source but I can vouch for myself and the vegans I know that's it's primarily about the carbon footprint as well as a personal goal for people who thrive under strict dietary boundaries. I really don't care that much about eating animals, that's part of nature (I do care about bad farming conditions though).

You can start by literally just googling "why go vegan" and seeing that literally every result will mention environmental reasons.

That's a sales pitch. It doesn't actually show reasons people do become vegetarian/vegan. And cursory results show that it doesn't actually seem to be the case.

Duxxy3

How much money was needed to discover something that has always been true.

Eat whatever you want, but vegans always come off as pretentious assholes.

I wouldn't say all vegans. Co-worker is vegan and he just does his own thing. Not judgmental. Not preachy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
We don't like cocky dickheads telling us how to live our lives. Not really news and certainly not limited to vegans.

I think an understated problem is that non-vegans tend to stereotype all vegans as judgmental and aggressive simply because their lifestyle revolves around rejecting a thing non-vegans like. The actual object of veganism being anathema to most people is a pretty heavy contributor to the idea that "cocky dickheads" are trying to dictate how people live their lives.

Tedesco!

I only know of one vegan that is aggressive. She insists on comparing the eating of meat to having been abused as a child. Fuck that person.

I'm not sure there's any picture where plant-based diets are worse than an omnivorous diet, at least from the climate change perspective, but the "eating plants = better for the environment" line can be seriously misleading. Downing all that almond milk terribly strains water resources, for example, and from an environmental perpsective they are a terrible crop to grow because they require large amounts of water constantly. So much so that parts of California are sinking because they've drawn so heavily from the water table. Like most environmental issues, it's not as simple as people would like to say "X is good, Y is bad."

While true, it's still less impactful than meat and dairy production. It takes 30 gallons of water to produce one gallon of cow's milk. It takes 23 gallons of water to produce one gallon of almond milk.

SOURCE

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Vegetarians are unhealthy and ‘mentally disturbed’, says new research

Vegetarians, the study found, were more than twice as likely to have allergies as meat-eaters, they were three per cent more likely to contract cancer, and a massive 150 per cent more likely to have a heart attack. Vegetarians were also hit harder by 14 of the 18 illnesses monitored in the study – which included diabetes, migraines, and osteoporosis.

People who maintained a vegetarian diet were also found to be twice as likely to be ‘mentally disturbed’, reports several websites, and generally have poorer mental health. The University of Graz study says that vegetarians were twice as likely to suffer from anxiety or depression (a similar study from University of Hildesheim found that vegetarians suffered more from depressions, anxiety, psychosomatic complaints and eating disorders).

They also visit the doctor more frequently as they’re impacted more heavily by illnesses compared to meat eaters, who have a “significantly better quality of life in all categories” according to the research (the categories being physical and psychological health, social relationships and environment-related life quality.

Link

Fularu

Banned
There are things to learn from vegetarianism and veganism: eating less meat is good for your health and more sustainable.

Good rule of thumb: try restricting yourself to 2 servings of meat a week for massive health benefits and helping to save the planet.

Most of our ancestors only ate meat twice a week because it was expensive. And they benefited greatly from that expense in just about all areas of their life.
And had a 35-50 years life expectancy

All those "our ancestors did this and that and it was great" posts come off as gullible people sprouting nonsense with no scientific data to back it up

Plum

The Tab? The fucking Tab?

youre_serious_futurama.gif

There are things to learn from vegetarianism and veganism: eating less meat is good for your health and more sustainable.

Good rule of thumb: try restricting yourself to 2 servings of meat a week for massive health benefits and helping to save the planet.

Most of our ancestors only ate meat twice a week because it was expensive. And they benefited greatly from that expense in just about all areas of their life.

Our ancestors had barely access to etable plants because whatever vegetable you eat was at least cultivated for hundreds of years.
Real eatable wild fruits and vegetables are rare and barely provide anything to eat.

So meat was the way to go for our ancestors (ignoring the question how big of an argument that is in the first place) - something we can still see today, where groups are still living in hunter communities.

Top Bottom