• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ah yes... totally free MMORPGs

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
When I was at E3 a tiny booth in Kentia Hall caught my eye thanks to it's impressive-looking hand drawn art on the wall. I'm a sucker for that oldschool 2D stuff.

Turns out it was the booth of a small Chinese company called TQ Digital Entertainment. I got to talking with their PR rep, and it turns out what they do is make 100% free MMORPGs. How they make their money is by selling the really rare/powerful items that would be VERY hard to come by in-game for real cash. That means the hardcore can spend money to support the game and get more out of it, while the casual fans can simply enjoy the game -- free of charge.

Once I showed interest in their product it was hell getting out of there, but free is good, so I figured the least I could do was at least let some forum-goers know about the free games. I know the reason games like Gunbound and Survival Project are so popular is thanks to their extremely low price (heh heh).

Anyway, they currently have three titles:

Monster and Me 3.0
http://mm.91.com

Era of Faith
http://faith.91.com

Conquer Online
http://www.conqueronline.com

I've heard Conquer Online isn't that good, but it was their first title. The other two seem to be much better, besed on appearances alone. All the games allow you to purchase a house and decorate it as you see fit, etc. They seem cool. I'm on dialup so I haven't yet tried them myself (they're sizable downloads).

The PR rep was super nice, and I know how much the internet pounces on free games like this, so you guys should try them, and if they're good, spread the word.

EDIT: The sites are full of some pretty hilarious engrish as well:

"Monster & Me 3.0 is a large and cartoon-featured on-line game developed by TQ Digital Entertainment. Hundreds of cute pets will give you a great pleasure."

"You can not only create Kungfu by yourself but also teach them to your friends. If you have much experience in creating Kungfu, other players will pay you more respects."

dream

How much could they possibly charge for these items or how much volume can they get in order to sustain such an...unusual business model?

GDJustin

It's not THAT unusual. Gunbound has done it successfully. They charge for the items that would take months to earn through play. I know people who have bought them. A lot of people do it even though they might not want the item THAT badly. After getting hours and hours of free gameplay out of gunbound, a couple of my friends figured the least they could do was give $5-$15 back to Softnyx, and they got some kickass gear to boot.

GDJustin

Someone wanna try these out and let me know how they are? If they're good then I'll take my laptop someone else to DL them... (56K, and all)

Haven't actually tried the games, but judging from the speed of the sites, and my knowledge of every Korean/Chinese MMORPG ever made, it will be completely and unplayably laggy.

belgurdo

Banned
20044157675_875.JPG

I'd powerlevel it

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
downloading monster and me in hopes of being able to "level up" some chinese girls for some "high level" pics if you know what i mean wahahaha :(

Top Bottom