• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ai Powered mod for Mount and Blade looks sick.

Bragr

Banned
The responses from the AI were terrible, it sounded like an infomercial.

To get good responses from an AI that sounds human, they need to customize the output from the AI so it sounds logical and real, something I doubt we will see that in a long time. This is a gimmick.

reinking

Gold Member
Still, it's an early example of the future of games. I think we're going to get Westworld-esque ai characters and quests within five years.
I think more like 10-12 years but it is definitely coming.

Last edited:

bbeach123

Well the characters need personality too . Without it everything will look and sound bland af .

Oh my bad, I forgot the characters and writing of this game is already bland and lifeless af .

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't see a huge difference to the vanilla game, what am I missing here? NPCs all have their stats, relationships, allegiances, family ties, hierarchy positions, rivals, past battle experience with other npcs or you, etc. and can discuss based on those and what they are willing to divulge with the main characters by their own status and relationship etc. Also, in a game you don't necessarily want fluff text about anything and everything from any random npc but just the relevant info and a clear indication they can do nothing more for you (ie repeated lines in old jrpgs so you knew that character had nothing of use for you and moved on). Why sit and chat with every random, complicated and elaborate dialogues or not it's not going to be useful and will all blend after a time just the same as the repeated lines of old. Text input is older & clunkier than keyword/dialogue choices for games.

Last edited:

DrFigs

I don't see a huge difference to the vanilla game, what am I missing here? NPCs all have their stats, relationships, allegiances, family ties, hierarchy positions, rivals, past battle experience with other npcs or you, etc. and can discuss based on those and what they are willing to divulge with the main characters by their own status and relationship etc. Also, in a game you don't necessarily want fluff text about anything and everything from any random npc but just the relevant info and a clear indication they can do nothing more for you (ie repeated lines in old jrpgs so you knew that character had nothing of use for you and moved on). Why sit and chat with every random, complicated and elaborate dialogues or not it's not going to be useful and will all blend after a time just the same as the repeated lines of old.
This is a solid point. I've honestly never wanted to do this in any game. Especially if there wasn't a quest reason for it. I don't think this will catch on.

Last edited:

SaintALia

You clearly haven't played much eurojank then.
I have, and played a number of games with some horrifically bad voice acting.

The shit displayed here is pretty bad. Just because there are worse doesn't mean this isn't bad.

I am intrigued by the generative text is it? Though, I think it'd be better if writers had as much control over that as possible, and maybe they can use stuff like that for AI buddies, or for AI's that 'progress' along the game with you.

Also someone mentioned big studios using this? Is this free to use, as in not for personal use, for commercial use or does it have to be licensed? Because usually studios get a handful of pro voice actors, and a lot of the additional VO is sometimes done by dev staff themselves or getting VO on the cheap for one day one go VO work or whatever.

Well, it'll get better in the future, but right now it needs work.

Knightime_X

This would need a mic for consoles.
Typing with a controller every 10 feet will get old real fast and eventually making the player be overly choosy in who they talk to.
Gotta include some predetermined questions as well for pacing reasons.

StueyDuck

I thought some studio like obsidian already used AI like this in the outer worlds or something like that.

I'm sure I saw some gdc talk about it 🤔

Last edited:
4 years and 8 months.
That’s seems reasonable.

I don't see a huge difference to the vanilla game, what am I missing here? NPCs all have their stats, relationships, allegiances, family ties, hierarchy positions, rivals, past battle experience with other npcs or you, etc. and can discuss based on those and what they are willing to divulge with the main characters by their own status and relationship etc. Also, in a game you don't necessarily want fluff text about anything and everything from any random npc but just the relevant info and a clear indication they can do nothing more for you (ie repeated lines in old jrpgs so you knew that character had nothing of use for you and moved on). Why sit and chat with every random, complicated and elaborate dialogues or not it's not going to be useful and will all blend after a time just the same as the repeated lines of old. Text input is older & clunkier than keyword/dialogue choices for games.
I can see this being a tool to appease the ones who want that level of immersion. The types you’re thinking of are the ones to constantly sprint in an online co-op RPG and min/max as fast as possible.

What interest ? I can't find any, talking to a bot has absolutely no interest in my eyes, especially since in the video it looks boring to death, text, text and more text written by an AI or not , it will only be a plague...

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Wow, what an incredible achievement. That's what I call a new generation game. Rpg games would be much different even if there were 10-20 NPCs powered by this kind of complex AI.

Falc67

The fact that you can ask what you want without fixed answers really is incredible.

Polish the writing and voice acting a bit to feel less robotic and this could be a fucking revolution in the rpg genre.
I’ve seen another Ai npc driven game. It’s insane the conversations you can have through the headset with them.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The beginning of a new era for RPGs! Inworld AI is a Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord mod that allows for fully AI driven conversations with NPCs. You get a text box where you enter your part of the conversation and you receive an almost immediate GPT-AI generated response via text to speech. Try it out now!

0:00 Bannerlord Chat AI Mod
4:38 How to install

Introduction​

Have you ever wished for more realistic and engaging conversations with non-playable characters (NPCs) in video games? Thanks to advances in artificial intelligence (AI) development, this dream is now becoming a reality. A new mod called "World AI" for the game Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord has been released, which allows for fully AI-driven conversations with villagers and nobles.

How it Works​

The "World AI" mod generates the characters' personalities by respecting their roles and attributes in the game's fictional land of Calradia. This means that regular clan members will behave differently from clan rulers or faction rulers. NPCs in the game know their family, clan, and enemies, and have persistent personalities throughout a playthrough. They have opinions on politics and other matters, and you can learn a lot about Calradia and everything that is going on by simply talking to them.

The mod allows players to input their part of the conversation via a text box, and the AI generates a response almost immediately. Characters remember rumors, unique plans, ambitions, and their past interactions with the player. They also know what the player and they are wearing and their location.

Limitations and Potential​

Currently, common townsfolk do not have a persistent self, limiting the mod's potential. However, this integration of AI in gaming is a massive leap in terms of immersion factor. NPCs answer quickly and in a way that you would expect from a person from that day and age, and their answers make perfect sense.

While these conversations have no direct impact on gameplay, it opens up a world of new possibilities. The potential applications for this technology are enormous. It could revolutionize gameplay mechanics, allowing for games with a focus on interrogations or questioning, military or spy games, or social single-player games like The Sims.

Conclusion​

The "World AI" mod for Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord has given us a glimpse into the future of gaming. Being able to have real conversations with NPCs in a video game feels uncanny at first, but the possibilities for more engaging and immersive gameplay are endless. This technology still has room to mature, but it is an exciting development for the future of RPG games. The mod is available for download, and while there are a few steps required to get it to work, it is well worth the effort. The future is here, and it's more exciting than ever!

geary

You guys are asking continuously for innovation and when you get it, you shit on it. Neogaf doing Neogaf things.

Back on topic, I wonder what this could do with Paradox games. For example, CK3, where you can ask about the events in a characters life, about battles, about schemes, creating whole new randomly events, etc

Last edited:

Fredrik

Haven’t played the original AI-less version but I thought everyone sounded the same here, lacking personality. Still cool of course since it was free form text queries.
They all used too many words for simple questions though, but maybe that’s tweakable? If you ask how old someone is you don’t want a wall of text about how it’s just a number.

Comandr

It was made by one person.

Its just so cool, cant wait when bigger dev teams are going to start use this in games. Its revolutionary, like dream come true.

Holy tits this is awesome. I can’t wait to see stuff like this evolve.

Would be cool to see something like this adapted into skyrim 2.

kicker

Banned
You guys are asking continuously of innovation and whe you git it, you shit on it. Neogal doing neogaf things.
I don't think you can really blame them. Despite what it says on the cover, this is really a console gaming forum that has a few pc gaming members here and there

Something like this is mind-blowingly exciting for rpgs, but console mains won't appreciate it until it gets to their exclusives

StereoVsn

You guys are asking continuously for innovation and when you get it, you shit on it. Neogaf doing Neogaf things.

Back on topic, I wonder what this could do with Paradox games. For example, CK3, where you can ask about the events in a characters life, about battles, about schemes, creating whole new randomly events, etc
Oh God, CK3/4 with proper AI acting behind characters would be epic. And very backstabby, lol.

A.Romero

This is exciting. The level of depth that could be achieved is amazing.

It's not just about the endless dialogs but how they could adapt to what you do. A huge step ahead of npcs reacting different to your character because of the level of evilness and get a wider and more complex range of reactions.

Top Bottom