• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AI recreate games as 80's movies

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
This makes me kinda sad because all this AI generated stuff actually looks more interesting to me than anything else that has been produced in the last 10 or so years.

The aesthetic, the colors, contrast, film grain... amazing.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
I haven't "shit on" a single person. I've simply said nothing I've seen has been more than mediocre. I like Batman Forever as a Batman movie; I wouldn't take it personally if someone else told me they found Batman Forever complete dogshit.

. . .is the tech impressive? Sure. Just not what people are doing with it. Just like with all the "ZOMG UE5" threads and videos. Which is what I said. Which isn't an attack on a single person for feeling otherwise.
On the topic of shitting on people, I was being a tad hyperbolic, you know what I mean, don't pretend you don't

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
On the topic of shitting on people, I was being a tad hyperbolic, you know what I mean, don't pretend you don't

Yes. You were insinuating I was laughing at or making someone feel bad for thinking this AI generated stuff is cool. I wasn't, and so I pushed back. That's it.

Killer8

anI0ldY.png

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
In a similar vein if you havn't checked out some of the videos of people using song lyrics to generate images they are fascinating aswell. If the song choice annoys check out the rest of his channel.

Presumably they have to feed it with more than just the lyrics, some are more innocuous than others, but the visuals area all fairly consistently on brand. They must be saying they want dark/scary images.

Cool stuff though, if this were by a human artist, it'd be a massive project that just wouldn't be a worthwhile use of their time. As is, worth a look.

hlm666

Presumably they have to feed it with more than just the lyrics, some are more innocuous than others, but the visuals area all fairly consistently on brand. They must be saying they want dark/scary images.

Cool stuff though, if this were by a human artist, it'd be a massive project that just wouldn't be a worthwhile use of their time. As is, worth a look.
Yeh I got no idea how they make it match the theme, could be real handy for lyric videos though. Hanger 18 is another interesting one and makes me wonder if that one needed much extra to keep the images on point.

sachos

AI in 2022 was insane. Can't wait to see what advancements we get in 2023. You guys realize that right now these images take a couple of seconds to generate, but as that time goes down we enter real time territory. In the future you could render a game as basic shapes and then ask the AI to do img2img in realtime while you play. Its going to be crazy. We really teached machines how to paint and be creative, WTF!!

Dithadder

Very cool pics thank you. I didnt really get an 80s vibe, but possibly my old brain just reads the 80s aesthetic as "normal."

Funny the doomsayers were claiming robots, ai and automation will take our jobs, the artists and creatives will be safe. What if they are the first to go? We’ll see how this pans out. Kinda hoping it’s a fad and this is as far as it goes. It’s cool to look at this but it also gives a sense of dread. I can’t be excited about it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Funny the doomsayers were claiming robots, ai and automation will take our jobs, the artists and creatives will be safe. What if they are the first to go? We’ll see how this pans out. Kinda hoping it’s a fad and this is as far as it goes. It’s cool to look at this but it also gives a sense of dread. I can’t be excited about it.
Stable diffusion is a weird territory.
It’s not making up art. They are using a database of pictures whech ai learns and associates with word.
It might be more of a copy of other stuff than we think.
That’s why all the 80s annoying montages look exactly the same.

The Fartist

Gold Member
In the near future, TVs will have the processing power to generate actual custom movies built right into the unit, we'll have tailored movies, shows, cartoons, sports etc. With your favorite actor/athlete live or dead at the push of a button. It's both exciting and terrifying.

Man, all this AI art is so damn good. I find it so much more creative, daring & fascinating than most game related art I've seen, and there's a sense of power & conviction (can't really find the right words) in the art. Which is interesting because we like to think what sets humans apart is our creativity & inventiveness.

Just came across Chrono Trigger, some really good stuff in there as well, like the first Luca shot and Frog in armor.

Also something about suddenly being confronted with a hyper realistic and convincing version of a character we cherish and remember from our past, is able to give me feels.

Does anyone know what AI/generator was used for the art in videos like these? I dabbed in Midjourney a while back, but don't see it generating art like this. Could be a 'skill issue'.

Hugare

Man, all this AI art is so damn good. I find it so much more creative, daring & fascinating than most game related art I've seen, and there's a sense of power & conviction (can't really find the right words) in the art. Which is interesting because we like to think what sets humans apart is our creativity & inventiveness.

Just came across Chrono Trigger, some really good stuff in there as well, like the first Luca shot and Frog in armor.

Also something about suddenly being confronted with a hyper realistic and convincing version of a character we cherish and remember from our past, is able to give me feels.

Does anyone know what AI/generator was used for the art in videos like these? I dabbed in Midjourney a while back, but don't see it generating art like this. Could be a 'skill issue'.

That Epoch was just perfection

It used Midjourney. Says so in the video description.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

I was shocked at how good some of those Mario ones were. I was expecting some hilarious uncanny valley type stuff but they are legitimately good and elicited a lot more emotion from me than I thought they would.

Will check out the Chrono Trigger one after work. No idea what tool they used though.

Gorgyles

Banned
Listen
Let me just say that all working artists
Especially the ones at SEGA
Absolutely suck compared to midjourney

These are rich with atmosphere
And are almost dreamlike in how they immerse and inspire

The new Sonic game could look like this, but it doesn't because Sonic Team sucks and their artists suck.
Aw7rskw.jpg

What about the FFVII remake?
I think it looks incredible, but it's this natural anime evolution of what came before.
Midjourney makes it look magical and terrifying
28uF4QS.jpg

The fairy fountain from Zelda
What I wouldnt give for developers to embrace high end tech and lean on AI art
We could finally give Anime Cel Shading a rest
RzNTg8p.jpg

sachos

I really can't wait till we get MidJourney like AI but for video. We know something like that is coming, it just a matter of time. Right now the best video generator i think are Imagen Video by Google and Phenaki Video. Can't wait till you can input say an episode of Seinfeld into the AI and then as an output get the same episode "as a dark fantasy 80's movie", the real issue is getting temporal stability right.

Gorgyles

Banned
I would buy any one of these games in a heartbeat
80s movie aesthetic is the perfect serious vibe for gaming
no more half naked 13 year old animuuu girls

rlBvBiq.jpg

Smash 64 lends itself perfectly
If Nintendo ever does PS5-level hardware and plays with UE, they should try this

R455kie.jpg

Its extremely bold
Almost looks like Alex Ross

sachos

Listen
Let me just say that all working artists
Especially the ones at SEGA
Absolutely suck compared to midjourney

These are rich with atmosphere
And are almost dreamlike in how they immerse and inspire

The new Sonic game could look like this, but it doesn't because Sonic Team sucks and their artists suck.
Aw7rskw.jpg

What about the FFVII remake?
I think it looks incredible, but it's this natural anime evolution of what came before.
Midjourney makes it look magical and terrifying
28uF4QS.jpg

The fairy fountain from Zelda
What I wouldnt give for developers to embrace high end tech and lean on AI art
We could finally give Anime Cel Shading a rest
RzNTg8p.jpg
Those FF7 ones are crazy! Imagine doing that in real time over the base game graphics, i really think Nvidia should be working on something like that.

Hugare

I would buy any one of these games in a heartbeat
80s movie aesthetic is the perfect serious vibe for gaming
no more half naked 13 year old animuuu girls

rlBvBiq.jpg

Smash 64 lends itself perfectly
If Nintendo ever does PS5-level hardware and plays with UE, they should try this

R455kie.jpg

Its extremely bold
Almost looks like Alex Ross
Executives wouldnt give them more than a $ 1.000 budget for those

I would love games being made with this art style, but they arent marketable, unfortunately

Gen Z (in general) would vomit

Gorgyles

Banned
Executives wouldnt give them more than a $ 1.000 budget for those

I would love games being made with this art style, but they arent marketable, unfortunately

Gen Z (in general) would vomit

Anything well made is marketable.
There are a hundred games with hideos art that put up big sales numbers.

W6o0YRV.png

I can't look at this shit anymore

Hugare

Anything well made is marketable.
There are a hundred games with hideos art that put up big sales numbers.

W6o0YRV.png

I can't look at this shit anymore

It's very easy to see why waifus are markeatable, even if you dont enjoy the artstyle

Top Bottom