• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Air Fryer Appreciation Thread

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Have you made the jump to getting an air fryer? I just got one yesterday, and now I just want to cook at home for every meal. It was on sale luckily for $60, as they've been too expensive for me to want to get one for a while. Usually double that price.

You can eat fries pretty regularly, and all you're really doing is eating plain potatoes with seasoning, and zero additional saturated fat. Online, the estimates are that it cuts calories by 70-80% compared to traditional frying. You can have chicken strips with no saturated fat - just the additional calories from covering it in liquid egg and some bread crumbs. You can eat vegetables constantly, and they always taste great.

And it's damn easy to use too. Throw in a big piece of chicken with a little tomato sauce and cheese on top and just leave it alone for 10 minutes, and you're done. The easiest cooking I've ever done, which is about all I can handle.
You can make egg rolls and guoza easily, as well as vegetable tempura - only it has no additional fat.

You can take almost any vegetable and cut them into thin slices, cover in egg and bread crumbs and you have vegetable chips in 10 minutes.

I've been researching recipes and ideas all day.

I bought one at the start of quarantine and have been using it every day. Usually with stuff like this I’ll buy it, use it a couple times, and never touch it again. I think it is worth getting one just for cooking bacon alone. So easy and tastes so good! I can finally cook! No more overcooked rubbery chicken breasts for me.

bati

I contemplated getting one when I was losing weight and wanted to save calories by avoiding using too much oil and then I realized I'd be spending a minor fortune in electricity and just opted for a non-stick pan with minimal oil use instead.

jts

...hate me...
Have 1 for like a year and a half I think. I use it a lot and the regular oven became more of a storage space since. My main thing is sweet potato fries and chicken wings.

Biggest drawback is that it's really hard to avoid smoke with some foods. Even if you add a bunch of water.

Dis

I always put slices of pizza in it.
Its really fast and i dont have a oven.

But man good thread 🙏i kind of forgot how much i appreciate this thing.

I got one 2 years now? Makes life way easier.

Kenpachii

Use my philip airfryer all the time for potato's fries and sometimes chicken wings. Thing is great. use it now for 5 years i think.

Last edited:
W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
Parents gave my girlfriend and I a really nice air fryer about a year ago. We let it set in a box for about 6 months because we thought it was silly.

We couldn't have been more wrong.

We use it daily for everything from cooking to reheating certain leftovers, and even to toast bread or english muffins for breakfast.

The wife and I got one. It’s a Ninja brand Fryer. I gotta say, I wasn’t as impressed as you guys in this thread have been. I’m probably doing something wrong though.

W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
How easy are these things to clean? I might get one after all these positive posts.

Takes about 5 minutes, if washing by hand. Even less if I stick the baskets in the microwave.

One thing I learned is to not use Pam or similar. If you're going to use a bit of oil, just get sprayable olive oil

Amory

We got one as a wedding shower gift and it's pretty awesome. And I say that as someone who hates getting new kitchen appliances because it's always something we use once and then it just becomes clutter.

We use the air fryer probably 3-4 times a week for veggies and especially chicken. I think an air fryer displaces a grill as the best way to cook chicken. Always tastes great and couldn't be easier to make.

Terce

How do you guys use it to reheat or cook food that is bigger like slices of pizza? We have an actifry and the spinning thing that moves the food around would wreack havoc on a slice of pizza, but works great for moving around fries and wings

I’ve been using mine daily for years now. It’s amazing. I rarely use the regular oven or the microwave anymore. It’s that good and convenient. I have a cheap knock off model but it works great and is very easy to clean. It’s the greatest kitchen purchase I’ve ever made.

neobiz

Bloomin' onion from outback is like 2,000 calories but if you make your own in the air fryer it cuts the calories to something like 600

Fucking tasty

I think it's really good for certain foods but requires too much effort with changing temperatures and shaking for others.

lachesis

Well, I have the all the gadgets - sous vide, air fryer and instant pot.
I rate Instant pot #1, and air fryer #2, sous vide #3.

Air Fryer is great for re-heating some stuff - especially if you are trying to re-heat the soggy french fries, it's really great! But perhaps because of the size of it, I can't only do little bit a time.. that's the downside. Also when I cook with it, uneven browning is not something that's really visually pleasing.

Instant Pot - I really like it very much. Quite versatile in making various things not involving direct heat. I've been steaming a lot of potatoes and boil eggs to my exact likings, also make a lot of soups and stews with it. It's great! I found I use it the most often and get most satisfied.

Sous Vide... is really good for cooking meat and certain veggies, but I found out that I only use it when I have a lot of free time and some extra money for real good meat to grill. Carrots are great in sous vide too - but out of all, it gets least uses.

Sometimes I combine both - such as my pork belly. I either sous vide the belly, or pressure cook the belly in instant pot so that it's melty-in-your-mouth, and then finish up in Air Fryer to crispen up the skin!

longdi

Banned
You cant cook lamb or any food coated in low heat olive oil, if not prepare for your fire alarm to go over. That smoke is real!

jts

...hate me...
Are fries in air fryers really comparable to chips drowned in buckets of hot grease? Can one of you post a pic?
They don’t have the same uniform surface browning (and crust) because of what you mention, instead they brown more on the edges and so, so maybe they get 50% of the overall crunchiness, but they are still very tasty with just a fraction of the fat (because technically you should use like a tablespoon of oil to coat the fries) and a fraction of the hassle.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
GUEST_42ed15d3-2bfd-4602-93e2-9b42ddb6ac4e

Knch

They don’t have the same uniform surface browning (and crust) because of what you mention, instead they brown more on the edges and so, so maybe they get 50% of the overall crunchiness, but they are still very tasty with just a fraction of the fat (because technically you should use like a tablespoon of oil to coat the fries) and a fraction of the hassle.
Turn on the deep fryer you have to have by law in Belgium, dump fries in the basket, wait.
It doesn't seem that much of a hassle knowing that you won't end up with a shitty excuse for a fry.

jts

...hate me...
Turn on the deep fryer you have to have by law in Belgium, dump fries in the basket, wait.
It doesn't seem that much of a hassle knowing that you won't end up with a shitty excuse for a fry.
It’s not a shitty excuse for a fry. That’s the point. It’s tasty and delicious. You ever had baked or roasted potatoes? Deep fried fries aren’t the be-all and end-all of potatoes.

Don’t get me wrong, I fucking LOVE real fries. But not only I don’t have a deep frier, I don’t like the oil smell (I take it good deep fryers can absorve it better), I don’t like having to do oil recycling, and there are some valid health/fat concerns if they are eaten regularly. Air Fried fries are an excellent way of eating potatoes with little trouble and a bit healthier. If you don’t like them, that’s fine.

Mihos

Gold Member
Lemon Pepper chicken wings in the air fryer is the shit.

Also, sweet potato fries and popcorn shrimp come out perfect every time.

I have the Ninja air frier/pressure cooker combo and can go from frozen to perfect brown on most foods in like 15 minutes.

Jeeves

Honestly, don't think of it as a fryer. The name is a misnomer for getting attention. What they truly are, is...very convenient and effective convection ovens.

I think the real advantage of an air fryer versus a standard convection toaster oven is how close and powerful the fan is, and that the baskets allow better air flow underneath the food and usually easier cleaning.

I researched the hell out of them for Christmas and ended up a Cosori air fryer. I'm really not one for trendy kitchen gadgets but this thing is the exception. Mine is square which makes it easier to fit food in, and the size (5.8 qt) is perfect for two people while still having some extra space to entertain occasionally.

There's a lot of foods it's amazing for, and steak is one of them. 7 minutes for a perfect medium-rare steak...for the first time in my life I enjoy having steak at home because I can count on it to be cooked right consistently.

It's especially godlike for reheating leftovers. I use the microwave way less now. Pizza in particular is often way better on the air fryer reheat than it is fresh. I seriously eat it fresh while daydreaming of the leftovers.

Good for cooking bacon and not getting splattered.

Another bonus is that it doesn't heat up the kitchen like the oven does. Really looking forward to that this summer.

So yes, it's great and has outshined the oven and microwave in many regards, and in some cases the stovetop as well. But it's not a fryer. Don't expect deep-fry results.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Tried hamburgers last night. Delicious.

Pro tip: Garlic salt and red pepper in the hamburger meat when you mix it up. Then cook for 10-12 min. Then cover the whole top with siracha sauce and put pepperjack cheese on top of the sauce so it's covered, and put back in for another minute or two.

Then get a harsh mustard for your fries, and a beer.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
I contemplated getting one when I was losing weight and wanted to save calories by avoiding using too much oil and then I realized I'd be spending a minor fortune in electricity and just opted for a non-stick pan with minimal oil use instead.
Wtf? One electrical appliance = mini fortune? Is it any more costly than say a toaster or rotisserie?

Excellent thread btw op bro, think i’ll buy one bc of this

Last edited:
Top Bottom