• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Airline Passenger Exposes Child Predator After Seeing Texts on Flight (WaPo)

From the Washington Post:

A preschool teacher buckled in for the two-hour flight from Seattle to San Jose noticed something on the cellphone screen of a fellow passenger that set off alarms. According to police, the unnamed woman began following along as the man in the seat ahead swapped messages about sexually molesting children.

Thanks to the young teacher’s alert action, the man and another woman were arrested quickly Monday. Two children — ages 5 and 7 — have been identified by authorities as the likely potential victims. Police say without the teacher’s intervention, the abuse could have gone undetected.

“It’s kind of mind-blowing,” San Jose sex-crimes Detective Nick Jourdenais told the Mercury News. “She gets on a plane, a normal citizen minding her business. A couple of hours later, she’s intervening on quite possibly the most traumatic thing children can go through. This was life-altering for them.”

Michael Kellar, 56, must not have realized the words on his large-sized cellphone screen were legible to the passenger seated behind him on the flight. “It was in large font, and she sees certain words and starts contemplating there’s something bigger there,” Jourdenais told the paper. “Then the conversation transitions to children. That’s the moment when she decided to preserve the evidence as best as she could.”

According to police, the teacher snapped her own cellphone photos of the conversations, which allegedly involved Kellar requesting the individual on the other end to perform sex acts on the kids. The teacher then told the flight crew, who in turn contacted authorities on the ground.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...xt-messages/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.79aa58fb5801

This woman is a hero.

Inb4 GAF "why was she looking at his private phone conversations" group arrives.

Lucky kids that the perp was such a dumbass. Lucky prosecution as well.

KoopaTheCasual

Wait wtf?

How/Why was the text on his "large-sized cellphone" so comically large that this women noticed it, and was even able to get pics of it, without being noticed?

Like, I'm genuinely confused and sad there isn't a picture for reference.

Ashby

Wait wtf?

How/Why was the text on his "large-sized cellphone" so comically large that this women noticed it, and was even able to get picks of it, without being noticed?

Old people set the font size super big to be able to read on smartphones. Pretty common.

Wait wtf?

How/Why was the text on his "large-sized cellphone" so comically large that this women noticed it, and was even able to get pics of it, without being noticed?

Dude probably had bad eyes and increased the font of his texts. I've seen loads of people do this, especially on the subway.

I admit I snoop too, sometimes the curiosity is too much,I guess the same happened to that woman and thankfully saved those kids.

MIMIC

Banned
Holy shit, excellent work by this lady. Glad she took pictures, too (although the guy's provider would have had them as well).

Forearms

Wait wtf?

You can dial the font size up pretty high within the Message app on most Android phones.

Glad it caught her eye.

kirblar

She could be a snoop, but I can believe that it's possible she wasn't, but certain words entered her field of vision that caused alarm bells.
My mom's got her text settings set to gigantic font sizes so she doesn't have to put on her glasses. Combine that setting with a big tablet and you've got someone displaying their texts to the world where you can't help but read it.

Good job by the lady realizing something wasn't right.

Preezy

What a hero that woman is, give her a medal or something. Hope that guy gets murdered in jail, and his accomplice too. Shiv justice.

louiedog

She could be a snoop, but I can believe that it's possible she wasn't, but certain words entered her field of vision that caused alarm bells.

Or a gif or emoji or something that's harder to ignore if it pops up in your view or you just happen to look up from what you're doing. Something that catches your eye and then you just automatically read the words next to it.

tkscz

Those foreheads on the predators. Any who, glad they were caught before those children were harmed.

BigDug13

Wait wtf?

She was seated behind him so snapping pics is plausible. "Minding your own business" from the next row back to the point of being able to read someone's phone screen seems a bit far fetched but either way, this is the kind of busybody snooping I can get behind. Good on her.

it's really horrific to think about a dude just casually texting about his child molestation on a plane. I definitely would have done the same thing.

Dali

Inb4 GAF "why was she looking at his private phone conversations" group arrives.

Lucky kids that the perp was such a dumbass. Lucky prosecution as well.
Yeah because trying your best to read someone's texts because you believe they may be making fun of you to a person youll never meet is the same as witnessing someone casually texting about child rape.

good on her. I agree she's a hero.

these monsters were probably smugly pleased with themselves. Good. Lock them up and throw away the keys.

Dali

Inb4 she should mind her own business gaf
Yeah because keeping quiet about child rape is the same as not getting mixed up in a husband and wife's marital issues.

I am a member of mind your own business gaf, but geez i feel like some of y'all don't realize the world isn't black and white. If someone comes itt and seriously says they should mind their own business or asks why was she reading his private texts then I'd be surprised.

Preezy

it's really horrific to think about a dude just casually texting about his child molestation on a plane. I definitely would have done the same thing.
I genuinely would have lamped the guy and made a massive scene and snatched the phone off him and read the texts out loud to the other passengers. Imagine a 10 hour flight where everyone knows that you're a disgusting child molester.

That'd probably make a tense movie, I might give Hollywood a call...

louiedog

I don't assume anything I'm doing on a plane is in any way private. I was reading a book once and the old man next to me was obviously straining his neck as hard as he could to look at it. It happened to be a page describing a sex scene, though not really graphic, and that bastard had the nerve to look at me and tell me the book I was reading was dirty.

We've all been there. Phone screens are so big now that it's almost impossible not to have your gaze wander over to them when you're sitting behind someone.

Good on this woman.

CHC

Jesus the control it would take not to lash out. If I was reading shit like that in real time I'd have to stop myself from grabbing that fuck by the hair and breaking his jaw on the goddamn armrest.

I hope the rest of his life is short and difficult.

Filthy piece of shit motherfucker..thank goodness that woman caught that shit. Hero indeed..

Wow, the woman he was texting was babysitting the children. Unreal. Be careful who you trust with your children, people.

Yeah, fuck that. This is why the wife and I agreed someone needed to be home at all times and I only worked nights..we weren't leaving our kids with ANYONE that wasn't us.

Prompto

Banned
Good on her. Taking pics of the conversation was smart as well. The creep could have easily deleted the messages.

Jesus the control it would take not to lash out. If I was reading shit like that in real time I'd have to stop myself from grabbing that fuck by the hair and breaking his jaw on the goddamn armrest.

I hope the rest of his life is short and difficult.

Seriously. I can't imagine having to sit behind someone like that for a whole flight.

Supha_Volt

Neo Member
Good on the teacher for being able to recognize and report abuse. Hopefully they will be able to use the phone to track down the person on the other side.

I don't assume anything I'm doing on a plane is in any way private. I was reading a book once and the old man next to me was obviously straining his neck as hard as he could to look at it. It happened to be a page describing a sex scene, though not really graphic, and that bastard had the nerve to look at me and tell me the book I was reading was dirty.

giphy.gif

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Pretty happy for those kids these disgusting people got caught and the woman that took action is a hero for doing so.

I didn't realize you could text on flights now? When did that start?

Yeah because keeping quiet about child rape is the same as not getting mixed up in a husband and wife's marital issues.

I am a member of mind your own business gaf, but geez i feel like some of y'all don't realize the world isn't black and white. If someone comes itt and seriously says they should mind their own business or asks why was she reading his private texts then I'd be surprised.

Especially now that Amir0x is banned.

watershed

Banned
Thank god for her. One of the most amazing parts of this story is that she managed to take pictures of the guy's phone without him noticing. I don't know if I'm slick enough to ever pull that off unless the guy was oblivious.

Pretty happy for those kids these disgusting people got caught and the woman that took action is a hero for doing so.

I didn't realize you could text on flights now? When did that start?
I'm wondering the same. I've never been able to text on a plane, but it could be something you pay more for?

It's certainly within the realm of possibility that she was minding her own business. I mean she was sitting right behind the guy, and the article says the guy had the phone right up to his face. Imagine you just glance up and there's a picture right there staring you in the face that you can't miss, and it's of a kid. You didn't ask for that, and you weren't trying to get involved.

I'm wondering the same. I've never been able to text on a plane, but it could be something you pay more for?

Gogo inflight internet. Probably texting using iMessage or something that is wifi based.

Dan1984uk

Banned
This women is legit hero.

I hope this child molesting scum suffers for their crimes.

one of my closest friends went through abuse when very young and has never really recovered due to the trauma of everything that happened to him and also the fact that the piece of shit that did it died before facing justice, so lets hope serious jail time is given for this and once again well done to the amazing women for saving the children from further abuses.

Syriel

She was seated behind him so snapping pics is plausible. "Minding your own business" from the next row back to the point of being able to read someone's phone screen seems a bit far fetched but either way, this is the kind of busybody snooping I can get behind. Good on her.

Cheap big screen phone + low res screen = big text. Or old dude w/crappy eyes.

Normally scoping out others private messages and broadcasting to the world is poor form, but like everything, there is a time and a place when normal etiquette is meant to be broken and shit like this is the gold standard for that.

If you ever see evidence of children being abused, you get yourself involved. Looking the other way in cases like this is for cowards.

Props to her for doing the right thing.

T-Mobile includes it for free on any flight with GoGo WiFi.

Saganator

Honestly pretty hard for me not to peek at people's phones if it's in my field of vision and there is nothing else to look at.

Good for her though, I'm willing to bet she saw a particular word or two, curiousity took over, and now two pedos are in jail.

zeemumu

Good on the teacher for being able to recognize and report abuse. Hopefully they will be able to use the phone to track down the person on the other side.

Shouldn't be that hard. Even if he didn't label his contacts they've got her number.

The teacher did good documenting it just in case.

Azzurri

Wouldn't the cell phone company have flags of certain words and convos just incase shit like this happens?

Top Bottom