• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aksys teaser site - news and updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

grim-tales

Final prediction:
I think the announcement will be a combination of one or more of the following:
A ze anime adaptation
Ze ports
A kickstarter announcement for ze3
Possibly other vn localizations like infinity games

I really think our best chances with ze3 are if its a crowd funding campaign being launched.
Everything makes more sense in that scenario.
The more I think about it, the more perfect it would be for them to crowd fund it at the hype climax. And that's why they had to be quiet about it.. Kickstarters take time to plan and build and require careful timing.
I've been skeptical from the beginning that this was ze related.. But the direct titanic reference has changed my mind.

I will also add this though: if it is in fact 3, I would absolutely expect uchikoshi to be there, either in person or at least by video conference.

I agree, the Titanic reference is just to on the nose for it not to be ZE3 or ZE related. As for a kickstarter, that sounds great BUT it means more waiting (could be another year) and I remember Uchikoshi saying a kickstarter wasnt possible?

takoyaki

Has D appeared already? I cant see it but my browser is very zoomed in

no, I'm not sure if it will show up at all. We're very close to the end and it looks like the "rules" of the teaser are constantly changing now.

If anyone wants to try their hand at solving the teaser, here's the words sorted by the time they first appeared (minus the two coordinates):

ring (s) , coin (l), ice cream (s) , firefighter (r) , shotgun (s) , Gab (s) , 1/216 (s) , CUT-HERE (r) , shift (s), portrait (s), psychopath (l), 50 m (l), C (s), Q (s), [D(s)]

(s=static, l=left, r=right)

A simple caesarian shift looks unlikely because we wouldn't get those normal looking words if every letter is shifted by the same number.

I still think there's an anagram in there (that starts with a G) and that we need to make smaller groups out of the words. But there's a few ways of doing it (e.g. static vs. moving, left vs. right vs. static).

"CUT-HERE" still strikes me as an instruction (the only word completely in capital letters + on a different header in the source code). We've tried cutting all words after the 3rd letter, but what about making two groups of words,

"the words that appeared before + CUT" vs. "HERE + the words that appeared after cut-here"

numbers:

34.0419 and -118.2687 are the coordinates of the LA convention center

there are different theories about "1/216" (inverted 999 via ^-1, dice probability of something happening 3 times in a row, page in book in VLR + Radical6 connection)

and "50 m" is still a mystery.

New ideas always welcome! (after 3 and a half months, all I see are anagrams ;)

yami4ct

We making predictions?

Likely:
Zero Escape 3 as a co-funded project between Aksys and Chunsoft. Western focused production, meaning West launch will either be simultaneous with Japan more maybe even before.

Maybe:
Aksys trolls with an announcement of some other titles before announcing ZE3 later. Maybe a 999 port or a VLR/999 combo pack.
(Re)Localization of the Infinity Series

Possible, but Unlikely:
Kickstarter for ZE3. They could go this route, but I honestly don't except it

Unlikely, but maybe?
Zero Escape 3 is also going to be Infinity 4.

No Way:
There is no Zero Escape sequel coming.

We making predictions?

Likely:
Zero Escape 3 as a co-funded project between Aksys and Chunsoft. Western focused production, meaning West launch will either be simultaneous with Japan more maybe even before.

Maybe:
Aksys trolls with an announcement of some other titles before announcing ZE3 later. Maybe a 999 port or a VLR/999 combo pack.
(Re)Localization of the Infinity Series

Possible, but Unlikely:
Kickstarter for ZE3. They could go this route, but I honestly don't except it

Unlikely, but maybe?
Zero Escape 3 is also going to be Infinity 4.

No Way:
There is no Zero Escape sequel coming.

This post is accurate.

Nyoro SF

Post from Akselziys from 2013.

Just to step in real quickly... (glad everyone is enjoying the survey! Keep your comments and feedback coming! :) )

Regarding US sales of the Zero Escape series (both 999 and VLR), we are very pleased with how both games have sold, and the Zero Escape series is one of our most successful series.

Any other info out there is most likely rumor or conjecture ;)

Off topic though, I have to say I love reading everyone's comments in all the Zero Escape related threads that have been popping up so far :)!

"One of our most successful series" is surprising to read. Aksys has published a lot of games, including the popular fighter Blazblue. Didn't think Zero Escape series would be up there. So what people said about Western sales was true.

Also this likely confirms another 3DS/Vita release, since there's no way you wouldn't stick to your high-selling success on portables. Sorry Steam bros, looks like the dim hope we had of a point n click game coming to the grandaddy platform of adventure games is gone. Also Aksys has never published a title to PC, and the PC versions of ASW fighters are handled by different companies. :(

EDIT: I hope it's not a kickstarter, do you really need to kickstart when your Western sales are so good? Kickstarters mainly appeal by huge majority to Westerners only, and if you can't keep the series going on Western sales, then why are you putting out a KS which focuses almost exclusively on Western funding? I suppose worse outcomes are possible but I'd like to think that from that survey thread that they have been working on the game for the past 1.5 years and that this is just a straightforward normal release.

grim-tales

"One of our most successful series"? Surprising to read that. Interesting we havent heard anything from Aksys or RSG denying that it is in fact, ZE3

yami4ct

"One of our most successful series"? Surprising to read that. Interesting we havent heard anything from Aksys or RSG denying that it is in fact, ZE3

By all accounts, ZE does really well in the US. It's the low Japanese sales that put the series in jeopardy. Basically, the series does really well for Aksys, but not as well for Chunsoft who actually foots the bill to make it. That's why we might see Aksys take a bigger roll in getting ZE3 made.

spinz

EDIT: I hope it's not a kickstarter, do you really need to kickstart when your Western sales are so good? Kickstarters mainly appeal by huge majority to Westerners only, and if you can't keep the series going on Western sales, then why are you putting out a KS which focuses almost exclusively on Western funding?

Pretty much because kickstarters are getting used as a way of attracting other investors and increasing game hype. It's more of a marketing tool in these cases... A sort of preordering. And also voice acting is expensive. It sold well here but not THAT well. Crowdfunding could focus on getting it fully voiced.

takoyaki

By all accounts, ZE does really well in the US. It's the low Japanese sales that put the series in jeopardy. Basically, the series does really well for Aksys, but not as well for Chunsoft who actually foots the bill to make it. That's why we might see Aksys take a bigger roll in getting ZE3 made.

For context, here are Japanese sales numbers from 2013 [Famitsu, from the same Aksys survey thread, thanks BlackLagoon]

3DS: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - 7,890 / 17,913
PSV: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - 6,133 / 15,454
NDS: Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors [Chun Selection] - ?? / 4,714
NDS: Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors - 16,967 / 39,653

In Japan, 999 sold ok-ish for a VN and VLR sold pretty badly, but it's one of Aksys' most successful franchises and many people associate them with ZE/VNs in general because they took a chance with 999 and it turned out be a great success. This and Aksys dabbling in development with Magus has been the basis of our argument since March/April.

Hylian7

Post from Akselziys from 2013.

"One of our most successful series" is surprising to read. Aksys has published a lot of games, including the popular fighter Blazblue. Didn't think Zero Escape series would be up there. So what people said about Western sales was true.

Also this likely confirms another 3DS/Vita release, since there's no way you wouldn't stick to your high-selling success on portables. Sorry Steam bros, looks like the dim hope we had of a point n click game coming to the grandaddy platform of adventure games is gone. Also Aksys has never published a title to PC, and the PC versions of ASW fighters are handled by different companies. :(

EDIT: I hope it's not a kickstarter, do you really need to kickstart when your Western sales are so good? Kickstarters mainly appeal by huge majority to Westerners only, and if you can't keep the series going on Western sales, then why are you putting out a KS which focuses almost exclusively on Western funding? I suppose worse outcomes are possible but I'd like to think that from that survey thread that they have been working on the game for the past 1.5 years and that this is just a straightforward normal release.

I remember back in one of the threads, it was either for 999 or VLR, someone asked him about sales and he said something like "On a scale from :( :| :) :D we would give it a :D"

It's absolutely undeniable that Zero Escape is incredibly well received in the west. It's a lighter VN game that appealed to all kind of people with gripping storytelling and nice puzzles that keep you glued to the screen. For me, if we take out Phoenix Wright similia, 999 was my first step in the VN genre, which I had always dreamt of and never knew existed.
VLR's failure in Japan, I think, is due to recycled content and somehow simplistic plot if put beside what Japanese people are used to. Play Remember 11 or the recently fan translated I/O for reference. I mean, we all scream in awe at Schrodinger's cat and alternate universes, but Umineko did that years before on a MUCH wider scale!
With me being "westernized", even though I see how masterful those pieces of work are, Zero Escape is still better. If not for story, for what represents in my personal growth in videogame storytelling. And we all know, after seeing VLR's ending, that the recycled content will probably keep going.
Still, Aksys always had a lot of faith in ZE. In fact, localization for VLR started right after its release in Japan, February 2012. Thank god they didn't wait for Japan sales!
Preorder watches have always been an US exclusive. I had mine internationally shipped and I love it. You had to be quick and preorder because they went out of stock fast, at some point generating riots on Gfaqs.
Good times!

Wazzy

Banned
I'm not surprised it would do well in the west. There's nothing I really see about it that would be unappealing to western audiences.

Also ugh give me this announcement nowwww. This wait has gotten worse since I've started properly following it again.

Hylian7

I'm wondering, should we have an |OT| for the stream on Gaming Side for this? I would be interseted in making it if somoene hasn't already volunteered.

takoyaki

I'm wondering, should we have an |OT| for the stream on Gaming Side for this? I would be interseted in making it if somoene hasn't already volunteered.

Sure, all threads in the Gaming section were locked/moved, but it should be ok now. Or we can ask a mod if this thread can be put into Gaming shortly before the announcement, otherwise we'll spilt the audience and I'd really like to keep updating this one until the announcement.

Hylian7

Sure, all threads in the Gaming section were locked/moved, but it should be ok now. Or we can ask a mod if this thread can be put into Gaming shortly before the announcement, otherwise we'll spilt the audience and I'd really like to keep updating this one until the announcement.

I'll talk to a mod about it.

Tizoc

Remind me in how many hours this stream starts? I don't live in the US BTW :X

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I really hope its not a Kickstarter. Everyone I know seems to be all Kickstartered out at the moment, and the fact there will be a MuvLuv kickstarter announced at AX means VN fans will be torn.

I of course would back it over almost anything else, but I'd be incredibly concerned about it not reaching its goal.

So uh how's that whatever you were working on going?

So much happened in the last week I couldn't work on it at all, and busy all day tomorrow. Sigh.

Doesn't help that I have lost a lot of confidence over it and I don't think it will turn out well at all anymore, but I will get out a WIP version no matter what, just to have a draft out there maybe it'll help someone else. I guess after I get that draft out it's on indefinite hiatus...

Before I disappoint any further: It's related to ZE, but not related to 4infinity.

I'm sorry guys, I couldn't deliver at all. But hey, maybe a few of you'll still kind of enjoy it.

Irru

Neo Member
At first I was a bit disappointed that we got "D" again, but at least now we have a definite link between 4infinity and Uchikoshi.

Nyoro SF

I really hope its not a Kickstarter. Everyone I know seems to be all Kickstartered out at the moment, and the fact there will be a MuvLuv kickstarter announced at AX means VN fans will be torn.

I of course would back it over almost anything else, but I'd be incredibly concerned about it not reaching its goal.

Here's the thing though, it wouldn't be a full kickstarter to make the impossible possible (since there's no way ZE3 could get funded that way). It would be something like "give us 100,000, and we'll fund the other 2 million." I don't have a problem with that by itself since it's just a fancy preorder system at that point anyway, but I feel like it just opens doors for people to get taken advantage of so they can spend $300 for something that just used to be a preorder bonus. They get put under the illusion that they're helping the game "get made" or giving "support" but it's not the case.

Also even with a kickstarter, they probably still won't offer a Steam release. So I don't like the idea. :p

takoyaki

At first I was a bit disappointed that we got "D" again, but at least now we have a definite link between 4infinity and Uchikoshi.

Yesterday, one could still argue that it was a freak coincidence. Now it's 100% confirmed that Uchikoshi and the teaser are connected.

sidenote: 5 static words above, 5 static words below the counter. Just like on the old pictures A&B.

Hype room add pls?

Welcome on board! Anyone else still want in while I’m here right now?

jpg11rco64.jpg

takoyaki

5 static "words" over, 5 static "words" under the counter. There's a good case to be made that this is it, especially since Uchikoshi tweeted out the D.

I'll try anagrams again, but there's also a chance that C, Q and D might turn into full words tomorrow or during the announcement.

The reality of the situation just dawned upon me.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT WE ARE GETTING A NEW UCHIKOSHI TITLE

WE ARE GETTING A NEW FUCKING UCHIKOSHI TITLE HOLY FUCK

SOMEONE HOLD ME OR I'M GOING TO DIG THROUGH THE CEILING OF THE HYPE WAITING ROOM

takoyaki

SOMEONE HOLD ME OR I'M GOING TO DIG THROUGH THE CEILING OF THE HYPE WAITING ROOM

Good thing you had the idea about the picture frame, Zero Escape Funyarinpa ;)

and please share your WIP version whenever it's ready, still looking forward to it!

redhood56

Banned

The same thing just happened to me except it was zero escape 3 and not a new uchikoshi title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom