• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Al Gore rocks an awesome beard while calling for an end of the Electoral College

Status
Not open for further replies.

injurai

Banned

Many Americans are disenfranchised and some states are ignored because of the Electoral College, and it's time to abandon it, former Vice President Al Gore said on Thursday night as part of Current TV's coverage of the Republican National Convention.

"I really do now think it's time to change that. It's always tough to amend the Constitution and risky to do so, but there is a very interesting movement under way that takes it state by state, that may really have a chance of succeeding. I hope it does," Gore said.

Asked to describe the movement, Gore was vague, saying it "started in California and it's gained a lot of momentum."

Gore, who lost the 2000 election to Republican George W. Bush but won the popular vote, said he supported the Electoral College at the time but has since changed his mind.

"I supported the idea of the Electoral College because the logic is, it knits the country together, prevents regional conflicts, and it goes back through our history with some legitimate concerns," he said. "But since, I've given a lot of thought to it and I've seen how these states are just written off."

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/al-gore-calls-for-end-of-electoral-college-20120830

codhand

People said if he'd had the beard he would have won in 2000. I agree.

I realize he did win by 500k votes

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
If he rocked that beard during the election he would have won (and gotten mad White House pussy).

That beard just distracts you from that awesome head of hair. So dreamy. But uhh yeah, Romney would agree with him. Romney's only chance is to make it a popular vote battle.

That beard just distracts you from that awesome head of hair. So dreamy. But uhh yeah, Romney would agree with him. Romney's only chance is to make it a popular vote battle.

What? That would hurt Romney even more since he's as popular as lint.

Beards win elections, Al Gore should've knew that back in 2000

Except there hasn't been a US president with a beard in nearly 100 years.

Wouldn't that benefit republicans, given demographic shifts? The EV map will heavily favors Obama, and will only get worse for the GOP as Hispanics take over Texas (slowly).

Balphon

Next step: Make change retroactive, have history books laud Gore administration as ushering in new American Renaissance.

ronito

Personally I see his point. A lot of the college is a historical remnant of a time it was needed. We have the tech now where we don't. So why keep it?

Interesting timing. Eliminating the EC today would decrease Obama's chances significantly.

That's what makes the timing perfect. There's no way this will change ahead of the election, but republican voters will be chomping at the bit to kill it regardless of whether or not Romney wins the popular vote. They are all going to realize just how far behind he really was, and it's going to make them angry (most just look at the popular split and feel good about his chances). Gore's loss is still a fresh wound for Democrats. There's no reason to think either party will have a significant EC advantage in 2016. We might actually see a major bipartisan effort on this issue next year.

Damn.

That is an awesome beard, indeed.

Though, on the EC, any system where one person can get more votes than another and still lose is a flawed system, but... I wouldn't know how to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom