• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Al Pacino looking to return for Heat 2

SJRB

Gold Member
How would this even work?

I've read the book, it's pretty much a direct continuation from the first movie. I don't see a 90-year-old Pacino running down highways with an assault rifle in his hands or busting down hostage situations with a shotgun.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

2f873baa-90f6-4017-a343-64e2f8f03a5f_text.gif

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
So The Irishmen de-aging gimmick again? Better hope they moved onto deepfake/AI tech.
That completely put me off that movie, once old ass DeNiro (de-aged) went to dish out a bating in the first part of the movie, I couldnt watch it anymore, it looked awful, really fucking bad and I just couldn't continue. His younger self moved like an old dude, his mannerisms screamed old dude and that fight was just embarrassing... Why the hell they didn't pick a younger actor I have no idea, but I noped out which is a pity as I loved all those gangsta flicks from the 90's & 00's and grew up on DeNiro and Pacino being legendary actors

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

I've read the book, it's pretty much a direct continuation from the first movie. I don't see a 90-year-old Pacino running down highways with an assault rifle in his hands or busting down hostage situations with a shotgun.

Was the book good? I've been wondering if it got an Audible release but I need to finish my current lineup before I even go looking (I am weak when it comes to tempting books / audiobooks).

sinnergy

CGI

He also said he wanted Timothee Chalamet to be the young version of him.

You know what would be a good combo for today? Joaquin Phoenix in the Pacino role, Tom Hardy in De Niro's role. With Mann's direction proper, those two could be fantastic.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member

This. He is old and not in shape, looks like a hobo.

SJRB

Gold Member
Was the book good? I've been wondering if it got an Audible release but I need to finish my current lineup before I even go looking (I am weak when it comes to tempting books / audiobooks).

It's the perfect book to read on vacation, which is what I did.

It covers multiple time periods, one is after the events of the first movie and focusses on Chris, and one is from a period prior to the first movie and has the whole robbery gang together doing gigs, and also covers Hannah from both time periods. Eventually all storylines loop around and come together in a pretty satisfying conclusion.

It's not amazing by any stretch but I liked it. It reads like a grimy 80's action thriller, including the larger than life characters and situations.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
The de-aging in that movie was embarrassing. I would like to watch that movie again to get a deeper sense of the characters and story but the de-aging is too distracting.
I know, I'd love to watch it but I can't get past that awful decision, I can't believe some producer didn't see the dailies and get on the phone to Martin and say "we have a serious fucking problem, this is gonna look shit"

GeekyDad

Really? It was a fantastic sequel made years after the original
I've heard nothing but good things about the movie, but for me personally, I had two main reasons to not be interested: 1.) The lead actor. Don't like him. And in my opinion, he had no business being in anything with the Blade Runner name on it. And 2.) I just didn't want to see that particular story continue on. I liked it just as it was -- a cult classic of sorts -- an art piece, if you will.

Heat, is kinda different. I would and will (if it does come to fruition) go to see a sequel, if for no other reason because I'm usually interested in Michael Mann's movies, though I haven't loved all of them. Question is, though, what will they do with it now that DeNiro's character is dead? And does it need a sequel? But...it was the kind of story that could easily be sculpted into something. But if Mann's only putting his name on it without any integral involvement (which happens often in Hollywood), then I wouldn't hope for much.

FrankWza

If they are smart they'll make sure Pacino is handled the same way, possibly as the frame story, with the meat of it focused on whoever plays young him.
It's not possible the way the book is written. The role has to be cast with a younger actor like oscar Issac and even that will be tough because Hanna is an insanely unique character.

It's not amazing by any stretch but I liked it. It reads like a grimy 80's action thriller, including the larger than life characters and situations
I can't see Mann going back and forth so my guess is they'll start prequel and lead up to the current stuff because they have to establish and develop wardell. I trust him to do a good job though I'm not crazy about some of the early casting rumors.

Top Bottom